• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:Zero 1A/1B-03

But I really don't understand how the looping works in this. What are the rules? Are they Zero Escape rules? Undertale rules? Groundhog's Day rules? I don't understand. Certain things tend to stay like the shopkeep remembering Subaru helped his daughter (which he doesn't even question why he remembered that???) s"

I think some other young man ended up helping the daughter that time around. Coincidentally or because stuff gets affected somehow. As for the other examples, I dunno.

Moaradin

But I really don't understand how the looping works in this. What are the rules? Are they Zero Escape rules? Undertale rules? Groundhog's Day rules? I don't understand. Certain things tend to stay like the shopkeep remembering Subaru helped his daughter (which he doesn't even question why he remembered that???) and the ice girl getting the flower but she doesn't remember Subaru but Puck does? What the hell. Please tell me that the answer isn't that it works via whatever the writer wants at that time and there is no rhyme or reason.

As far as we know, everything resets. The shopkeeper doesn't remember him. It was another person that helped his daughter in that timeline.

Danganronpa 3 Future - 1

First of all
WHAT THE FUCK IS UP WITH BANDAI'S VOICE.
As soon as he opened his mouth I went o_O

Feels bizarre to me watching this in Japanese. I was waaay too used to the English VA. I mean the voices are outstanding here don't get me wrong, but the whole experience just feels... different. Also, red blood?

Aside from that, not bad. The whole show is Danganronpa through and through.

Ok, sounds like I might be slightly misunderstanding how it works then. What he does does have an effect on the timeline/dimension/morphogenetic field or whatever, it just switches around who actually did it? But only sometimes?

Mob Psycho 1

Visually, it's already more interesting than One Punch Man. (I will admit I watched the opening four times.) That said, I finished the episode feeling the same way I did when I finished the first episode of OPM, like there should be more to this show. The show doesn't feel filling to me. It's like a candy bar. Which is fine, but just that.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ok, sounds like I might be slightly misunderstanding how it works then. What he does does have an effect on the timeline/dimension/morphogenetic field or whatever, it just switches around who actually did it? But only sometimes?
These are save points bro. He has no effect outside of keeping memories and maybe some magically sensitive people are gradually aware, vaguely, that he's kind of off.

These are save points bro. He has no effect outside of keeping memories and maybe some magically sensitive people are gradually aware, vaguely, that he's kind of off.

So irregardless of his intervention she would've ended up helping the kid anyway? That makes more sense if I think about it like that.

Jarmel

Banned
Mob Psycho 1

Visually, it's already more interesting than One Punch Man. (I will admit I watched the opening four times.) That said, I finished the episode feeling the same way I did when I finished the first episode of OPM, like there should be more to this show. The show doesn't feel filling to me. It's like a candy bar. Which is fine, but just that.

That's kinda my stance too. Visually it's absolutely amazing but the primary joke did get old quick.

Grexeno

Sweetness & Lightning 02

VHC3bkG.png

Continues to be adorable

Berserk 10

With Umakoshi as animation director, this episode was able to bring out the emotions of the characters particularly well with very well drawn and appropriately expressive character art. That was helpful in an episode like this, which has many characters experiencing various sharp, painful emotions. In his conversation with the princess, Griffith dropped the mask he normally keeps up and let his true ambition and individualistic philosophy show. It clearly pained Guts to overhear that, considering how he has come to identify so strongly with Griffith and consider him a friend.

This shot vividly conveyed how Griffith considers himself to be on a much higher plane than Guts. I wonder how deeply Guts will take this disillusionment. Unfortunately, the world of Berserk still has it out for him.

gargles

Mob Psycho 100 - 1

They're counting to 100 in the OP. How amazing is that? And the episode itself was extremely good, and one of Summer's best first episodes. Visually gorgeous with a great soundtrack and a promising universe. Mob and Reigen delivered on these first 20 minutes. And if this is really a 2-cour show... we'll be in for a ride. Sold.

Amaana to Inazuma - 2

And if Tsumugi wasn't sweet enough, she and Kotori break any "sweetness meter". Still adorable and so far, a good healing show.

Cornbread78

Sweetness & Lightning 02
Can I just reiterate how much I love thd fact that they are using a child VA to act like a child... It adds to the immense cuteness this show exudes throughout.

The fuck when was a Live Action film of Tokyo Ghoul announced? First Full Metal Alchemist and now this.

So this is what happens when you live under a rock for too long.

Taboo Tattoo - 02

Ehhhh got a little boring and a little bit too silly for me, too much LN style shtick. I already have plenty to watch on Monday. Gonna put a stop on it here, if positive impressions come about I'll continue, but I'm dropping it for now.

Mob Psycho 100 - 1

They're counting to 100 in the OP. How amazing is that? And the episode itself was extremely good, and one of Summer's best first episodes. Visually gorgeous with a great soundtrack and a promising universe. Mob and Reigen delivered on these first 20 minutes. And if this is really a 2-cour show... we'll be in for a ride. Sold.

WAIT, Mob is a 2-cour??

Gvitor

Sweetness and Lightning 02 - Not really a Shokugeki no Soma prequel

Where's the stripping and umami talk?

Also, Kotori totally has a teacher complex, I don't buy her excuses for a second.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

It seems alright. It's closer to Log Horizon then to SAO so thats good, but the repeating stuff is already getting kind of old for me and I can smell the harem hijinx coming. I'm glad the gut slashing girl is down because I was going to drop the show if Subaru seriously died from that magical cut that only started bleeding when he noticed it minutes later. I can see where the despair comes in already but this isn't my first time loop rodeo.

Subaru really seems to be taking this pretty well. Like weirdly well. In SAO or Log Horizon the goal is to get out and in No Game No Life the goal is to win the "game" but Subaru doesn't seem to give a shit, nor does he openly welcome this change. I'm glad that he dropped the "dur-hur since this is an alternate world LN story you'd expect THIS trope so I better say it out loud and then be shocked when it doesn't happen" because that's not clever or funny but I'm not exactly sure what Subaru is trying to do here.

But I really don't understand how the looping works in this. What are the rules? Are they Zero Escape rules? Undertale rules? Groundhog's Day rules? I don't understand. Certain things tend to stay like the shopkeep remembering Subaru helped his daughter (which he doesn't even question why he remembered that???) and the ice girl getting the flower but she doesn't remember Subaru but Puck does? What the hell. Please tell me that the answer isn't that it works via whatever the writer wants at that time and there is no rhyme or reason.

I'll keep watching but its around the same tier as KonoSuba for me right now of "This is alright for one of these alt world shows I guess"

Bananya 02

I don't know what the fuck the point of this show is but it sucks.

I thought the first mini-arc was cool, well-animated, and so on, but it's not until the following arc where it starts getting real.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Looks like you guys have a fellow Luluco lover in the form of the Shokugeki Author.

nBgdR65.png

Also holy shit at Gintama's author lmao

jVqULZe.png

Sweetness and Lightning - 02

They have upgraded their meal from just rice to rice and some soup too. The show continues being a heartwarming experience. Kotori though seems to have some baggage of her own that I am sure the show will touch on at some point.

Gvitor

Amanchu 01

I feel like I could enjoy this more if it weren't for the stupid faces. I hate the main girl and her stupid faces, I hate it so much.

Dropped.

gargles

Taboo Tattoo - 02

Ehhhh got a little boring and a little bit too silly for me, too much LN style shtick. I already have plenty to watch on Monday. Gonna put a stop on it here, if positive impressions come about I'll continue, but I'm dropping it for now.

WAIT, Mob is a 2-cour??

From what I've read here and there (source code supposely leaked), is will be 2-cour. But the website only shows 12 boxes, one for each episode. So... we can only hope for the best and await for some confirmations.

Mob Psycho 1
Well this was real pretty, but boy did the humor not work at all, which is a huge problem with how much of the show centers around gags. Much of the episode actually bored me.

From what I've read here and there (source code supposely leaked), is will be 2-cour. But the website only shows 12 boxes for each episode. So... we can only hope for the best and await for some confirmations.

Wow that'd be great! I wonder if they would be able to keep the quality consistent for that long, in this style of design and animation.

Trails of Cold Steel - Chapter 5

That has got to be the most "LOL JK" moment of a video game I've ever seen. You start the game off in medias res at this part, show the cannons firing, then build up to that moment by saying just how powerful and dangerous the railway guns are in Chapter 3, then when I finally get to that moment over 40 hours in the game, I'm told that it was a blank shell and nothing happened after that cliffhanger of an opening?

Honestly, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little disappointed with how that went down.
Not that I was rooting for Code Geass levels of wanton death and destruction, but that was a tad anti-climatic! I mean, one of the major villains gets killed off screen too as a footnote! I was kind of expecting Gideon to have a bit more of a dramatic death scene considering that big farewell speech he gave earlier.

All in all though, I'm still very much enjoying this game. It's been a while since I was really into a JRPG like this. I'm looking forward to how the last two chapters (as I hear there's only seven in this game) handle the aftermath of the incident in Chapter 5.

Amanchu 01

I feel like I could enjoy this more if it weren't for the stupid faces. I hate the main girl and her stupid faces, I hate it so much.

Dropped.

I agree with you about the faces.

From what I've read here and there (source code supposely leaked), is will be 2-cour. But the website only shows 12 boxes, one for each episode. So... we can only hope for the best and await for some confirmations.

I had seen that too, but apparently from what I just heard that part of the source code was copied from another site design, so the show might not end up being 24 episodes after all. If it is, it's probably split-cour.

Moaradin

Based on the episode 12 title, it doesn't really make much sense to end at that point. I think it will be 2-cour or split-cour.

Arslan S2 Episode 2

And thus Arslan was throneblocked by his old man, who was like Nah son, nah.

Finally caught up!

The first season was ok. Standard fight for the throne stuff.

2 episodes into the second season,for the first time since I started this series, I'm early anticipating the next episode.

Interesting and unexpected change of events. I wonder how the group will deal.

Also, either I'm used to it, but it seems like the animation got a slight budget bump. Doesn't looks as poorly put together like the 1st season. Then again, we are only 2 episodes into the new season, it could still go down hill from here.

Maybe Berserk can get a bump in the budget if they get a second season.
But then again how much budget do you need to render a boat on water.

Berserk 10

With Umakoshi as animation director, this episode was able to bring out the emotions of the characters particularly well with very well drawn and appropriately expressive character art. That was helpful in an episode like this, which has many characters experiencing various sharp, painful emotions. In his conversation with the princess, Griffith dropped the mask he normally keeps up and let his true ambition and individualistic philosophy show. It clearly pained Guts to overhear that, considering how he has come to identify so strongly with Griffith and consider him a friend.

This shot vividly conveyed how Griffith considers himself to be on a much higher plane than Guts. I wonder how deeply Guts will take this disillusionment. Unfortunately, the world of Berserk still has it out for him.

EDIT: (not really a spoiler just my interpretation of the scene)
Does Griffith know that Guts is there, though? I took the image from Gut's perspective. Guts literally sees Griffith on a much "higher plane" than himself.

ibyea

Banned
Sweetness and Lightning: 2
Jesus, not only does this guy cut the bread on his hand with a chef's knife, at one point he was grabbing the knife by the blade.

Anyways, I am dropping this show. It looks like it will mainly be a cooking show with a premise that is just kind of weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom