• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta
I'd rather you not go there, actually.

The thing is that the show sounds like a generic piece of trash ecchi harem, but its main driving force and appeal (at least to me) are its ridiculously long dialogues that still manage to be dynamic as hell when coupled with equally dynamic imagery (that gets pretty abstract at times). You have to bear with the fanservice (and the show begins its very first episode with it), but if you want lewd crap then you're better off watching TLR:D, since you can end up with whole episodes of characters talking to each other about stuff with nothing lewd in the way and great character development here.

...But if you just want to hop onto the "lololol toothbrush scene" bandwagon without knowing a thing or even giving the show a chance, by all means, be my guest.
Oh i've seen the show. I was just makong a joke because i have friend who is just like you.

Gvitor

So watching Days reminded me that I should get back to Baby Steps. (Started watching it in school. Got busy. Just finished episode 4.) And it's just, so great. You know why Eiichiro starts playing Tennis? Not to immediately be the best, or because he's worried about some random weirdo he just met, or any of that stuff I can never relate to. He got in because he wanted to get some more exercise. He gets into the sport naturally, like a clueless person would. As a result it's not asking me to make any huge jumps in my logic to relate to him. I can actually just watch to see how his plans with the sport evolve. He also doesn't just suffer to get better at the sport. Rather he uses his sharp eyes to supplant his weaknesses. Rooster head here is a fantastic main character.

I started a couple of days ago and I'm in the middle of season 1. It's really good, you should get back to it. I still vastly prefer Haikyuu, but Baby Steps is legit.

... they'll teach you how tennis scoring works every 10 minutes, though.

AHdvfFo.jpg

I know, goddammit.

JulianImp

Oh i've seen the show. I was just makong a joke because i have friend who is just like you.

My bad. I tend to get overly defensive about the show because I want to see more people give it a chance rather than thinking it's a trashy ecchi show.

It's among my favorite shows, but at the same time is's certainly one of the hardest series to actually recommend to people because of how egregious the fanservice can be at times. You need to either like or not give a damn about the ecchi to actually enjoy the show and its character-based drama, and that's a pretty tall order.

TWILT

Banned
Sakamoto desu ga? 12 (End)
Overall, I thought it was a pretty fun and amusing show. The ending gave me some feels and I'll miss the guy. I thought the ending could have been stronger, but in the end, it's probably a solid 7.5-8/10 show for me. Wasn't amazing, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't smiling most of the time I was watching it like a dork.

Love Live Sunshine 1
Decent first episode. Really liked the energy of the whole thing. I'm a bit worried it might be leaning towards too much nostalgia to the first Love Live (Dia being the disapproving student council president gives me Eli vibes though the former definitely feels more goofier), but it's only the first episode, so we'll see. Looking forward to the next episode because I do feel the show has a lot of promise. Don't know who my favorite will be, but I hoping I really like Dia or Yoshiko after a few more episodes.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Love Live Sunshine 1
Decent first episode. Really liked the energy of the whole thing. I'm a bit worried it might be leaning towards too much nostalgia to the first Love Live (Dia being the disapproving student council president gives me Eli vibes though the former definitely feels more goofier), but it's only the first episode, so we'll see. Looking forward to the next episode because I do feel the show has a lot of promise. Don't know who my favorite will be, but I hoping I really like Dia or Yoshiko after a few more episodes.
I mean they have a girl who went to the school but never somehow never heard of Muse. lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Hatsukoi Monster 1
I went into this not knowing anything other than it was a shoujo romance and was not prepared for this creepy premise of a highschool girl dating a 5th grader. And I don't think I can get past it.
Somewhat related, but I forgot to post about 12-sai and it had a moment like this in episode 11:
r3wwU6Xl.jpg

Keep in mind she's 12. Yeah. lol

Thoraxes

Screens from the Rightstuf bluray release. Show's a real looker that had a lot of lost fine effects detail due to youtube.

https://twitter.com/naricat/status/749369401124659200

Clip of the dub too for dub fans.

I'm slightly waiting on this so I can use my Got Anime coupon on this with GBF Try in a few weeks.

But maaaaaaaan this is good. Thanks for sharing.

This makes me even more excited for the G-Reco BDs too, because that show has a gorgeous artstyle.

I'm slightly waiting on this so I can use my Got Anime coupon on this with GBF Try in a few weeks.

But maaaaaaaan this is good. Thanks for sharing.

This makes me even more excited for the G-Reco BDs too, because that show has a gorgeous artstyle.

I now want to order build fighters. Well dub sounded good but also seeing it in higher than 480p would be nice.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The only thing missing is the school closing plot but looking at a wiki that might still happen in Sunshine.
I don't know how I'd react if the school was going to close. lol

It's a given that no one will show up to their first concert!
I just hope they have Llamas on campus.

---
I'm trying to piece the timeline together because I'm a nerd, but I assume that Riko is part of the class that enters after Honkers' sister:

lv452Lil.jpg

5VjUYnTl.jpg

Which I guess could explain why she has never heard of Muse even though the school was saved by them. lol

Gvitor

Orange 01

Well, pacing is... weird. They skipped 2 weeks like it was nothing and mentioned it in a laidback comment. No visual indicative of time passing, it felt really weird.

To add on that, we barely get to see Kakeru before the timeskip, and we can't even fill anything in the gaps since he apparently skipped school for that whole time, so his relationship with Naho and the others are still at zero. "That day, I fall in love with him" feels forced as hell that way. I don't care about that character and I spent just as much time with him as Naho did, why should she?

I was all aboard the hoax train up until the final scene. Glad it isn't a hoax though, it's more interesting that way.

I was itching for a good romance anime. Hopefully this gets better. I see potential, but the pacing could be better. Introduce your characters properly, dammit.

Wanderer5

Orange #1

Well good start, through I hope the time travel aspect doesn't get too crazy heh. A very nice and energetic group of friends that I am looking forward to seeing more of.

Hm Kakeru was gone for two weeks after the first day at school. Maybe something bad happened, cause he didn't come home or someplace directly after school was done.

KraytarJ

Orange 1
I'm intrigued by the premise, even though rewind stories have been somewhat prevalent this year, so for that alone I'll give this show a few weeks. The first episode was alright, nothing mind blowing or amazing, but first impressions certainly aren't negative for me. Though having a two week absence in the middle of the first episode resulting in having the mysterious person of the show only present for one day felt odd. However there must be a significant reason behind the absence, and if I had to guess right now I'd posit that the regret Naho feels is due to
Kakeru dying as a result of their spending time together the way they did. Perhaps something to do with domestic abuse with Kakeru spending too much time away from home. Though this theory might just be born from the many similarities between this show and Erased so who knows.
Anyway, let's see what Monday brings apparently.

Aki-at

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond in Unbreakable - 14

This is not a episode to watch when you're having a snack
when he started licking the spider I recoiled in disgust and stopped eating.

One of the more interesting stand users too with some cool effects in between or during the scenes.

Days 1

I see Konosuke Uda did the same thing he did in his previous soccer show, Ginga e Kickoff, where the first episode starts with a flashforward to a big game before going back to how it all started. It's always nice to get a sports anime which puts in effort into the animation of the players' movements, especially for a sport as dynamic as soccer (in contrast to, say, baseball). It makes it easier to get invested than when the depiction of the game is mostly crude, clumsy stills.

DAYS 01

Passable enough, might even stick with it though I really wish mc wasn't yet another outing of that disgustingly tired trope of incompetent yet talented doofus making it through the supreme power of hard work.

They're so cute though! (And the main character of Days hasn't been shown to be especially talented yet; he just has a huge work ethic.)

If you want a different kind of protagonist, you should watch Ashita no Joe and witness one of the biggest jerks in fiction.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Orange Episode 1:

Well, this is the first episode of some this season that I actually managed to finish, so it has that going for it. Right, so as has been mentioned in other reviews this is a romance anime with a time travel gimmick attached via magic notes and it is actually leaving me confused. Not from a mechanics point of view as this is a variation on the rewind button but on an emotional level. The actual romance itself is beginning to assert itself and we are actually getting some plausible emotional connection which is nice, showing rather then just telling me the love portion is always a plus.
So I having some real problems reconciling while the time travel gimmick exists; indeed I think this series may have fucked up on a very fundamental level by showing 26 year old Takamiya Naho. So here is the thing and I suppose there is no getting around the notion that this is a fairly selfish and petty usage of time travel powers. It is the kind of abuse that other time travel stories would use to point out how not to such power on the grounds of making shit so much worse and that is the risk being run here. This feeds into the largest issue is we get to actually see future Takamiya Naho and she is a normal well adjust woman whom also seems to have a husband and a child, though I suppose that could have been just a friend. She also writes about all of the joy and happiness her younger self will experience while still hyping these "regrets" in earnest. I'll get down to it, her adult self is too happy and has too good of a life for me to see it change into something that may at the end of the day be worse then what she got now. I would be fine if that was the lesson the series was going for but I get the feeling that it just wants me to root for the main couple because that is what I am supposed to do. God damn, the more I think about this the more I am realizing just what a horrible person Takamiya is and that this show seems to have broken itself in a very fundamental ways. We needed some bitterness or some such overwhelming negative emotional state so that these actions could possibly justified but as it is we are watching a spoiled brat play around with time because she didn't hook up with a high school attraction that she doesn't nearly have enough emotional connection towards to make this believable. Well then, this was longer then expected and as it stands I might watch the next episode and I might not.

Gvitor

Baby Steps 11-14

And on that day, mankind received a grim reminder that this is anime.

Maruo vs Iwasa match was complete bullshit. Iwasa is one pretentious prick.

Shokugeki 2 ep 1

Pretty fun episode even though it was super rushed. Maybe they did it so that later chapters get more screen time. Hopefully.

Ashita no Joe Episode 1

So a drifter wanders into town, a melancholy whisle escaping his lips. After fending off a group of ugly children, and knocking an old drunk man down, he encounters a group of yakuza hoping to extort a little girl. He then proceeds to wreck their assholes so hard, it scares young and old alike.
giphy.gif

After saving the young lass, our gallant hero valiantly urges her to steal more in the future, and then make her cry by teasing her relentlessly about how she must still be in diapers. Satisfied, he hopes to con his way into a hotel. When that fails, he sleeps alone, out in the cold. The old drunk follows, giving him his only coat, and warm food, hoping to take this young buck and train him in boxing. Our hero eats the food, throws the coat back, and threatens the old man to stay away from him. Suddenly, the yakuza return, and when the hero can't beat them all, the old man proceeds to save his ass by knocking him out, and shielding him with his own body. Our hero recovers, and then proceeds to scream and anger at his savior.

The name of our hero? Jo Yabuki. The greatest hero ever.

trejo

Surely it can't be that bad.

You don't even want to know what it looks like in motion. That Dragon Age "anime" from a few years back looked and animated better than this. Think about that for a moment.

And that's not even getting into how somehow Casca is now almost the same skin tone as Guts which is just bullshit of the highest order.

People seem to think the CG is the worst part of the new Berserk.

It's not. The shitty terrible rushed plot is. If it was a faithful adaptation, I could tolerate that CG, as terrible as it looks.

For those that have read the ReLIFE manga, where would be the best place to pick up (chapter wise) from where the show left off?

Quasar

Orange 1 - Nice as expected. Probably will be my AOTS, just as Flying Witch was last season. Well that or Sweetness and Lightning.

Quasar

Orange 1
I'm intrigued by the premise, even though rewind stories have been somewhat prevalent this year, so for that alone I'll give this show a few weeks. The first episode was alright, nothing mind blowing or amazing, but first impressions certainly aren't negative for me. Though having a two week absence in the middle of the first episode resulting in having the mysterious person of the show only present for one day felt odd. However there must be a significant reason behind the absence, and if I had to guess right now I'd posit that the regret Naho feels is due to
Kakeru dying as a result of their spending time together the way they did. Perhaps something to do with domestic abuse with Kakeru spending too much time away from home. Though this theory might just be born from the many similarities between this show and Erased so who knows.
Anyway, let's see what Monday brings apparently.

It made me think about
Your Lie in April

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I know people make jokes about a character in anime having Autism, which in some ways is a product of how character detail is presented in anime, but Hishiro has to be on the spectrum and I'm not saying this as a joke. I'm on episode 6 btw.

BTW on that subject. Anyone know about how autism is treated in japan or its rates? Is it ever portrayed on TV in Japan? Has anyone in an anime been specifically mentioned to have autism?

I know people make jokes about a character in anime having Autism, which in some ways is a product of how character detail is presented in anime, but Hibari has to be on the spectrum and I'm not saying this as a joke. I'm on episode 6 btw.

BTW on that subject. Anyone know about how autism is treated in japan or its rates? Is it ever portrayed on TV in Japan? Has anyone in an anime been specifically mentioned to have autism?

Episode 6 of what show?

I know people make jokes about a character in anime having Autism, which in some ways is a product of how character detail is presented in anime, but Hishiro has to be on the spectrum and I'm not saying this as a joke. I'm on episode 6 btw.

While there are outside reasons for her behavior, it would not surprise me if she did have Autism and those outside reasons intensified them to the degree we are seeing.

Ashita no Joe Episode 1

So a drifter wanders into town, a melancholy whisle escaping his lips. After fending off a group of ugly children, and knocking an old drunk man down, he encounters a group of yakuza hoping to extort a little girl. He then proceeds to wreck their assholes so hard, it scares young and old alike.

After saving the young lass, our gallant hero valiantly urges her to steal more in the future, and then make her cry by teasing her relentlessly about how she must still be in diapers. Satisfied, he hopes to con his way into a hotel. When that fails, he sleeps alone, out in the cold. The old drunk follows, giving him his only coat, and warm food, hoping to take this young buck and train him in boxing. Our hero eats the food, throws the coat back, and threatens the old man to stay away from him. Suddenly, the yakuza return, and when the hero can't beat them all, the old man proceeds to save his ass by knocking him out, and shielding him with his own body. Our hero recovers, and then proceeds to scream and anger at his savior.

The name of our hero? Jo Yabuki. The greatest hero ever.

He gets worse. (better?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom