• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
horse rape doesn't really happen though, Guts slays that thing and we mostly get the goofy horse face to laugh and meme about.
:edit but of course there is the actual grim dark things that happen too, but Berserk has calmed down since Miura got old and got his youthful anger displaced by moe and nice things.

Oh don't get me wrong; I know Berserk's world is fucked to shit. It's more just the idea of it is so, well... stupid, that it kinda makes it less, I dunno, good? Makes me want to just not bother continuing the story.

Of course I say that without having seen it, btu y'know. :p

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
91 Days Episode 2

Great show, and a really enjoyable episode. Love the serious tone they have in this show, and hope it stays that way. It's what i wanted from Gangsta and Joker Game , which were complete disappointments for me. The show has a really nice atmosphere, which the music greatly contributes to , very fitting music so far.
Looks like this will be one of my favorites this season.
Oh man, that image set reminds me of when the guy was reminiscing about his first kill. Was totally Angelo's parents. I'm liking this show a lot.

There was a post credits scene, which shows that not all was what it seems. Someone maybe saw Angelo murk a Vanetti.

Narag

Oh man, that image set reminds me of when the guy was reminiscing about his first kill. Was totally Angelo's parents. I'm liking this show a lot.

There was a post credits scene, which shows that not all was what it seems. Someone maybe saw Angelo murk a Vanetti.

I think they said where they were taking Serpente in front of the wounded woman so maybe she told someone.

Mailbox

Japanese muppet show episodes 1 & 2
Amanchu!

I think japan has a slight problem with having early Highschools looking too much like adults. I honestly thought Futaba was gonna be like the teacher or something when she was first introduced :S

I can see why people think the green haired girl is annoying. Though, despite that, I'm quite enjoying this. I guess the warm feeling this anime gives off off-sets the annoyance from its star-character. Its not gonna win any awards, for sure, and its not gonna be as good as Flying Witch was last season, but I think I can find some enjoyment from this.

I'll keep watching this

Narag

Wasn't it because of the flowers on the grave?

Just checked and the flowers were already there when they first arrived. I think they tried to frame the shot without cutting off the top of the tombstone so the flowers ended up the focus rather than the lack of a second dead body.

Phatmac

After a hard day at work it was great to get a comfy show about nothing much just yet. I love anime like this so I love it already. The music is amazing so far. Whoop!
1468619321274.png

Baalzebup

Oh don't get me wrong; I know Berserk's world is fucked to shit. It's more just the idea of it is so, well... stupid, that it kinda makes it less, I dunno, good? Makes me want to just not bother continuing the story.

Of course I say that without having seen it, btu y'know. :p

It is a bit derpy, but the basics of that scene work just fine in the manga. The scene is that of Farnese living a night of absolute terror in midst of the supernatural horror that is Guts' compulsory pastime for nights and just when she finally thinks she can gtfo via the horse, surprise horse-possession by evil spirits for some superhappyfuntime, stopped short before it would have gotten from bad to worse via Guts-powered intervention. There is much more to the chapter itself than "rape-horse, lol."

And lo an behold, Episode 3 of Nu Berserk misses much of the potent flavor of the chapter and replaces it with useless filler, shit music, bad animation and weird ass camera-angles and cuts. And keeps the horse...

Russ T

Banned
It is a bit derpy, but the basics of that scene work just fine in the manga. The scene is that of Farnese living a night of absolute terror in midst of the supernatural horror that is Guts' compulsory pastime for nights and just when she finally thinks she can gtfo via the horse, surprise horse-possession by evil spirits for some superhappyfuntime, stopped short before it would have gotten from bad to worse via Guts-powered intervention. There is much more to the chapter itself than "rape-horse, lol."

And lo an behold, Episode 3 of Nu Berserk misses much of the potent flavor of the chapter and replaces it with useless filler, shit music, bad animation and weird ass camera-angels and cuts. And keeps the horse...

Hehe fair enough. I think I'll read the manga and then maybe keep up with the anime for laughs...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I think a central problem surrounding 91 Days and I think others have mentioned this is it really isn't making its case against say a Boardwalk Empire.

91 Days - 02

I really dig the song in the OP, it's clearly the same people who did Psycho-Pass's. The visuals in it are nothing special, they just seem like bits and pieces from actual episodes all stitched up.

As for the show, I love it. Mob series through and through. One of my top shows for this season.

As someone who generally really likes crime/mafioso/gang films, Poliziotteschi and film-noir (I adore Goodfellas, The Godfather Part 1/2, Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Chinatown and Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion) 91 Days sadly isn't doing a whole lot for me.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
♪ Ti Ti Ti Timo Timo Timo Timo Timothy ♪

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪​
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪​
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪​
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪​
♪♪♪♪​
♪♪​

Mailbox

♪ Ti Ti Ti Timo Timo Timo Timo Timothy ♪

♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪​
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪​
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪♪​
♪♪♪♪♪♪♪​
♪♪♪♪​
♪♪​

I hate you
<3

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Wasn't it because of the flowers on the grave?
I'm guessing the dude who was killed first was also missing. I would imagine Angelo wouldn't bury him since he was going to show the scene to big bro vanetti. A body was missing. Probably why he was so shook.

Edit: went back to check and the flowers were already there. Definitely the missing body.

jgminto

91 Days 2
Invoking The Godfather this much will only make me want to rewatch that instead. The focus on the revenge story isn't particularly interesting either, they spent a lot of time mentioning the state of the various families but how much will that matter if the main focus is the protagonist's personal vendetta? It continues to be a heavy mix of visuals and references without an interesting core to drive it forward.

As someone who generally really likes crime/mafioso/gang films, Poliziotteschi and film-noir (I adore Goodfellas, The Godfather Part 1/2, Maltese Falcon, The Big Sleep, Chinatown and Investigation of a Citizen Above Suspicion) 91 Days sadly isn't doing a whole lot for me.
91 Days doesn't have the vision or fascination with the specific era of American crime story it's trying to tell. The sense of style and place in a lot of classic crime movies is so important but here, they shift styles so frequently that a lot of the flavour of the prohibition era is lost.

Cornbread78

Adermin in the Sky ep.2

Damn, this show is much better than I was expecting and I hate political crap for the most part. I really like the MC, his way of thinking and his general demeanor. That scene in the buggy with the princess was pretty damn intense and I get the feeling that the princess did that to keep him close by her. Also, I didn't notice it before, but that ED is outstanding..

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Imagine if someone made a thread for Masou Gakuen HxH in OT but only named it H x H Official Thread. People would come in expecting Hunter x Hunter but they'd find pictures of the worst near hentai show ever.

Just T

New Game: 2

Still enjoying this one.

Taboo Tattoo: 2

As for this, hmm not sure if I'll keep watching.

Daganronpa 3 Despair Volume: 1

Neat opening and ending. It's good to see some of these characters again, never cared much for a good bit of the DR2 cast. This was still a fun episode though and looking forward to seeing how things go from here.

zeelman

Japanese muppet show episodes 1 & 2
Amanchu!

I think japan has a slight problem with having early Highschools looking too much like adults. I honestly thought Futaba was gonna be like the teacher or something when she was first introduced :S

I can see why people think the green haired girl is annoying. Though, despite that, I'm quite enjoying this. I guess the warm feeling this anime gives off off-sets the annoyance from its star-character. Its not gonna win any awards, for sure, and its not gonna be as good as Flying Witch was last season, but I think I can find some enjoyment from this.

I'll keep watching this

Hikari is just a very upbeat and carefree person, but then again I've read quite a bit of the manga so I'm probably just used to her. The Muppet faces show up quiet often as well. There are some good scenes without them, though.

Cornbread78

god dammit you fuckers
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1243984

post impressions in the 91 days OT or I start posting dank dog maymays to counter all of the cat ones.

It's a struggle getting people to post in them... I posted in there a couple mins ago though..

91 Days ep.2
Damn, Angelo fucked up, but
there was no way he could have known since that dude took like 3-4 bullets, didn't he? There's no way, unless that fatty chick went and saved him since they said where they were going right in front of her.

Angelo's motivations ate also a whole lot clearer now...

Pretty damn good.

Somebody has to find a gif of that guy getting whipped though, lol.

Jintor

Imagine if someone made a thread for Masou Gakuen HxH in OT but only named it H x H Official Thread. People would come in expecting Hunter x Hunter but they'd find pictures of the worst near hentai show ever.

H X H |OT| Not What You're Looking For

91 Days Episode 2

Loved the inspiration for the show so far. They're going the right direction for absolutely everything so far.

From the title card's use of the black and white contrast with a similar font

To starting the episode with the daughter's wedding, straight out of the Godfather alongside this shot which seems like an exact recreation of the Godfather's opening scene

Really great. Once again the music has been on point, and the direction has been fantastic. They are doing their absolute best to essentially create a western mafia story in animated form, with no unnecessary anime tropes or random Japanese mannerism to remind us that they think everybody acts and does things like they do.

I love the backgrounds and scenery in this show. Shots like this

Where the graveyard and trees look painted really give it a nice look. When I saw the choice for the OP I was disappointed, but honestly it's actually fairly good. I mean would I prefer something more time/era appropriate or melancholic jazz/blues? Yeah. But just like the Sopranos has 'Woke up this Morning' this is a fairly good shot.

The characters aren't done justice with the still shots I have in the OT. They look fantastic in their wardrobe and all look so fucking appropriate for a show about mafia. The episode itself was another great outing and the logical next step after the premiere, except for something I didn't expect for someone looking to take revenge on the whole family for him to
not plan properly the murders of the guys who killed his family. Shoddy planning but I guess this just shows it's more of a crime of passion and he's not this meticulous planner and mastermind. He's just a man looking for revenge

The after credits scene put the next episode in an interesting position. The show didn't stay in the comfort zone for too long. I've been saying for ages now that I want a proper mafia anime. I finally have it. Keep this up I beg you, you will be my AOTS without a fucking doubt.

91 Days 02

"Hey I'll buy you that nice car after 100 more booze runs, if we are still alive by then"

"Haha I'll hold you to that"

3 minutes later he's dead.

"He was a good guy. He liked cars."

Nah I'm done I'm not finding anything likable about this.

You're dropping it because of the retirement talk? You must drop a lot of shows and movies then. I mean the show isn't action packed and it's pretty serious with lots of low key scenes, but that's just mafia media in general. Lots of talking and 'the family' crap mixed in with some hyper violence scenes.

Handa Kun Episode 2

This is 20 times better than Barakamon. Moments are actually funny and there is more to it than just shipping the lead and the best boy on the island. The skits in this are all awesome, especially the chairperson one. Aizawa's excitement over it was the best.

Handa-kun 2

Absolutely loving this. The OP continues to be hilarious in how out of place itis. And I'll guessthe next episode will focus in introducing the other two guys of the fan club. But apparently they're his fans, and at the same time characters in the show who grow to admire him, but also there's an anime based around him and they watch it where it's based off their lives?

Thunderbolt and lightening very very Frightening Me 2

Another fantastic episode, but I'm starting to see these puppets love to talk and taunt each other quite often while moving one of their hands like if they were giving a tech presentation. You don't need to wave your hand all over the place lmao. But I'm assuming this comes from the style of puppetry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom