• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave1988

Is that a real name?

You betcha it is.

HzenLm7.png

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 4: Diamond Is Unbreakable Episode 16:

You know what, I rather liked this episode, in fact, I liked it a lot better then the manga artist arc.

Exalted

Alderamin on the Sky episode 2

This was a far more interesting episode than the first one, which was mostly character introduction. It had some great action, and the real story has started, and is quite interesting. I didn't think this show would have such a serious tone about war and politics, i thought it would be more goofy, judging from the first episode and our MC. It was somewhat saddening when those soldiers dies, even though they were the enemy. The setting gives me Valkyrie Chronicles vibes.

91 Days Ep 2
CnbXFiWXEAA6gYL.jpg:small

he smiled, Ive been waiting for this.

Great episode
I had been wondering if the guy they had been around was also one of the people that was associated with Angelo's folks, good to see that he could actually harden his emotions enough to do something like most do in this crazy world. I hope he eventually finds peace

OP song is epic.

Eumi

Maybe Miura should go back on Hiatus and play the latest idolm@ster game with all of its DLC's again, lolol

Not gonna lie, the idea that Miura is a super big idolm@ster fan is making my berserk read a real fun time. Just the most vile, disgusting shit shows up and I can offset it by imagining the dude drawing it playing idolm@ster.

So March comes like a Lion is 22 episodes long.

Oh jesus.

With NHK I was expecting 2-cour length.

Nope. He isn't actually writing any of the episodes. It's a lie. He's just credited for "original story concept" for the episodes with changes, while the script is the Psycho-Pass guy.

Ah, well, I'm not surprised a producer would stretch the truth. They should have gotten Imagawa as advisor again like the 1997 anime did.

Amanchu - 02

If this is 'healing' anime then why do I feel so sick?

To anyone who thought the jolly girl was obnoxious in the first episode, you've seen nothing. She even constantly makes strange noises now and she's so dumb she could've been killed this episode...which would've been for the better. The teacher is garbage too. And so is the shy girl.

Dropped harder than the first time.

convo

Nope. He isn't actually writing any of the episodes. It's a lie. He's just credited for "original story concept" for the episodes with changes, while the script is the Psycho-Pass guy.

Then shouldn't that be the case for the entire anime though? I think we are descending into madness by the mind-numbingly low production values, so we can't even tell what the production notes say.

I don't want to watch this rende(er)tion of rape-horse, but the edginess of that scene has been dulled by current day manga-artist-edgelords that put rape and grim-dark shit in there everywhere.

John Blade

Just coming back to watch Clannad after finish few manga here. The 1st half of the episode is nothing too crazy as you see the entire people you follow just talk a bit and go out during the weekend like a normal friends will be doing. The only thing which catch my attention is seeing Fuuko one more time just come into the scene to help herself win her starfish in those crank game.

It's the 2nd half of the episode where start to get more interesting. You found out a bit more of this mysterious guy who is actually a scientist friend from Kotomi parent. Also, the accident incident in the episode trigger something toward Kotomi as she just literally freak out from it and control herself. Also, some flash back from Tomoya dream and the location, also bring in more questions. I have a feeling this fire incident might be cause from Kotomi parent as you see this final scene where Tomoya found Kotomi in a room where you found out they was a scandal in her family from the flashback.

I am guessing we will found out more about this in the next episode and the connection between Kotomi and Tomoya as they might know itself when they're younger.

Ascheroth

Alderamin on the Sky #2

Yo, Ikta is an amazing protagonist. He's smart, efficienr and ruthless when he needs to be ruthless, but he's also really impulsive when it comes to certain things and probably wouldn't live all that long without Yatori keeping him in check.

Plans, strategies and politics everywhere. Episode wasted no time getting right to it and this didn't feel like 20 minutes at all.
Ikta and Yatori make a great strange team.
Was really satisfying when he
snapped at the princess.

Narag

91 Days 2

Plenty of opportunities to go "full anime" this ep but they kept it at mob movie levels. Here's hoping it continues.

Exalted

91 Days Episode 2

Great show, and a really enjoyable episode. Love the serious tone they have in this show, and hope it stays that way. It's what i wanted from Gangsta and Joker Game , which were complete disappointments for me. The show has a really nice atmosphere, which the music greatly contributes to , very fitting music so far.
Looks like this will be one of my favorites this season.

Alderamin on the Sky #2

You know, they are the bad guys. I mean, they are in the bad side. So this is a story of a future coup d'etat and overthrowing the Empire, the nation of the protagonists.

Hints
1. Their side is an 'Empire', and the enemy side is the 'Republic'.
2. The Republic was accepting refugees of the Empire without problem, and they seemed kind.
3. The first scientist had to run away to the Republic because he was an heretic.

And obviously things like the princess saying how her blood is 'rotten' or the antipathy of the MC with the imperial family, so it isn't like they are exactly hiding it, lol.

91 Days 02

"Hey I'll buy you that nice car after 100 more booze runs, if we are still alive by then"

"Haha I'll hold you to that"

3 minutes later he's dead.

"He was a good guy. He liked cars."

Nah I'm done I'm not finding anything likable about this.

I wonder what Ana thinks of Pharmercy

Been out of the loop, any good recommendations GAF?
I just watched yesterday Mob Psycho 100 and it was really cool.

Mob Psycho 100 is a good choice. Besides that, I would recommend checking out

91 Days
Battery
Diamond is Unbreakable
Kuromukuro
Orange
ReLIFE
Sweetness and Lightning

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Alderamin on the Sky Episode 2:

Oh yea, that was good, that was damn good showing this week. Yea, I dare say this might be the best show currently on the margins airing this season. The characters actually feel like characters even the more supporting members and the focus at the moment isn't really the battlefield but rather the politics of the imperial court and that provides a it more meat on the bones then I was expecting. Oh and this show isn't fucking ruining its tone with stupid comedy bits that aren't funny and just ruin everything around it.

Taruranto

Avillo Dantes #2

lol this OP is so cheesy. How many shots of him looking/thinking at his family?

This felt a step back from the previous episode until minute 17 or so. It definitely picked up during the last scenes, though.

So far my problem is probably Angelo itself, I understand he's set on revenge and why, but he doesn't seem to have much going on for him. His backstory is effective, but also pretty simple and he doesn't seem to have any self doubt or anything like that.

Also the idiotic name tradition continues. TRONCO IS NOT A NAME.

Thunderbolt Fantasy 2

The story progresses is a very straightforward way. In fact I hope Urobuchi introduces some plot twist in a pair of episodes so this is going to turn a bit too predictable.
The series is strangely muted once they don't have the OST in the background.

Uh... a question. How are the bad guys to compete here? I don't see how they are going to give a sense of danger. Even the lieutenants of the bad guy are easily dispatched by the secondary heroes (who even barely had to make an effort).

jman2050

Rewrite (the VN not the anime)

A KEY VN trying desperately not to be a KEY VN. It... kind of succeeded, I guess?

Not sure yet how I feel about it yet.

convo

Thunderbolt Fantasy 1-2

I loved Puppetry as a kid, they were a highlight for me during my middle school trips. It's so fun seeing all these props and stuff, the most advanced thing i ever saw live had fireworks.
I would pay good money to see these puppets in a live play.

Russ T

Banned
honestly all this talk about horse rape is just making me think berserk is better off not existing past griffith ruining the world

this season's anime is the first time i've experienced said post-ruination - although i have not watched horse rape yet

maybe i'll just read the manga instead ):

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
91 Days Episode 2:

Yea, this episode took awhile to get going having to plod through all of the various mafia politics during their Godfather homage but things picked up once the various plans got started in motion. I rather liked that everything was done rather messy and haphazard as it adds a sense of reality to the proceedings.

convo

honestly all this talk about horse rape is just making me think berserk is better off not existing past griffith ruining the world

this season's anime is the first time i've experienced said post-ruination - although i have not watched horse rape yet

maybe i'll just read the manga instead ):

horse rape doesn't really happen though, Guts slays that thing and we mostly get the goofy horse face to laugh and meme about.
:edit but of course there is the actual grim dark things that happen too, but Berserk has calmed down since Miura got old and got his youthful anger displaced by moe and nice things.

sonicmj1

91 Days 2

I think they're still doing a great job conveying that prohibition-era mob setting, and the action in the second half of the episode was staged well. It's delivering what it's promising. Good for them. I like how Angelo doesn't seem to be quite as masterful at violence as he seemed.

However, I'm starting to feel like the characters are lacking texture because the mood is always so serious and dour. The city almost always feels overcast, and nobody's really having a good time. Even in scenes where you'd expect some joy (the wedding, the family dinner), just about every moment is punctuated by moodiness and bursts of anger. Why would anyone want to be a gangster here?

I believe this matters because the good times can create contrast with all the ugliness of organized crime, and give the characters the opportunity to show off other aspects of themselves. Right now a lot of the cast is very one-dimensional. The murder that concludes the episode should have had more impact, but it sort of slid right off because I barely knew the guy.

Hopefully they'll relax the tone a bit in the episodes to come.

Narag

91 Days 2

I think they're still doing a great job conveying that prohibition-era mob setting, and the action in the second half of the episode was staged well. It's delivering what it's promising. Good for them. I like how Angelo doesn't seem to be quite as masterful at violence as he seemed.

However, I'm starting to feel like the characters are lacking texture because the mood is always so serious and dour. The city almost always feels overcast, and nobody's really having a good time. Even in scenes where you'd expect some joy (the wedding, the family dinner), just about every moment is punctuated by moodiness and bursts of anger. Why would anyone want to be a gangster here?

I believe this matters because the good times can create contrast with all the ugliness of organized crime, and give the characters the opportunity to show off other aspects of themselves. Right now a lot of the cast is very one-dimensional. The murder that concludes the episode should have had more impact, but it sort of slid right off because I barely knew the guy.

Hopefully they'll relax the tone a bit in the episodes to come.

I think they were on the cusp of what you were after with the little dinner scene with that special recipe. Then it turned into revenge talk and slid the other way again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom