• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:Zero 1-15

This show is the very definition of a love/hate relationship for me. I don't think there has ever been a protagonist I've hated in an anime more than Subaru and I mostly watch shounens and harems (aka. low standards). Yet here I am, 15 episodes in.

A quick look around the internet seems to suggest that people see him as representing what a normal person would go through in a similar situation but considering that his character archetype is that of a traditional shounen protagonist (hero complex, immediate obsession with lead female, instantly views every other side character as a BFF, recklessly places themselves in situations they have little to no understanding of, ect.), that's just not something I can get behind. Virtually nothing he does correlates to what a real person would do in a similar situation.

Having watching only the first 11 (so I'm 3 eps behind you), I agree with you. Even ignoring the stupid shit he does sometimes in the name of comedic scenes; he is a very typical anime MC. He is loud and brass, a bit dumb and even he recognizes it as such to other characters, he is tactless but his straightforwardness has a certain charm, he is powerless in comparison with other characters but he tries to overcompensate with guts and Japanese spirit (tm), he will risk everything for his nakamas (even if he truly has known them for just a few days lol)/people that he wants to protect/little kids/etc, he awakes curiosity in other characters almost in mysterious ways, he is instantly smitten by the lead female, etc

It seems he does pretty big stupid thing in the last episodes, but I doubt I will get angry at him because of it, he never was a realistic character in the first place for that.

Re:Zero 12

He is going to embarrass himself and the others by proxy, isn't he?
Emilia was a bit suspicious in this episode, she insisted so much for him to not come, I don't know if she has something to hide or what.

FHdJjFH.png
He also is not not your fucking dog.

Subaru in the other hand is also an ass here, ignoring what she said and behaving like for example...
Totally realistic!

But this is again anime-land, where sentences like that, if said from MC's lips, are not a problem.

Re:Zero 13

The series, of course, cheats. It cheats because it is not being consistent. For a dozen episodes Subaru had acted in an outrageous way and it wasn't a problem, hell he triumphed because of it and attracted powerful allies while behaving in his shonen ways, so it seems this is a 'shonen setting'. And he isn't the only one!, in the royal meeting lots of other people were being outrageous, from other knights also interrupting the wise men, to insults being fling to each other, to Felm doing a roundhouse kick, to the Old Man trying to do a kidnapping with Reinhardt's plan.
But magically now him being outrageous is a problem, and of course the author uses the cheap trick of the MC not being able to explain his powers and all that happened, again.
Lack of consistency.

Dynedom

Aldermarin - 01-02

If it can stay consistently good, this might be one of my favorites of the past few years. Love me a good character-driven military anime.

I still question the need for a loli princess though.

What kinds of shows do you like?(genre) There are a ton of series out there.

Also, buy a Vita and a battery charger, lol.

To be honest I'll watch pretty much anything, as long as it's good. Or if I'm too deep into it, like Naruto.

I've watched a lot of stuff both new and old so here's a link to my MAL, in case anyone is interested.

Since you mentioned it, I was thinking of getting a Japanese Vita since they're region free, are there any cool japan-only special editions right now?

blurr

To be honest I'll watch pretty much anything, as long as it's good. Or if I'm too deep into it, like Naruto.

I've watched a lot of stuff both new and old so here's a link to my MAL, in case anyone is interested.

Since you mentioned it, I was thinking of getting a Japanese Vita since they're region free, are there any cool japan-only special editions right now?

Fate/Zero (2 seasons, 1 cour each, action)
Nichibros (1 cour, comedy)
Baccano (1 cour, action)
Samurai Champloo (2 cours, action)
Durarara (2 cours, action)
R.O.D. OVA (3 episodes, action)

Hybrid x Heart 2

Yo what the hell at the school assembly.

"Hello students. In order to save humanity and win this war, homeboy over here will be fooling around with a select group of your classmates to 'power them up'. You didn't ask to see this, but we felt the need to show you anyway. Have a nice day!"

That was just the weirdest thing ever. And I swear to god, they better not have that little girl involved in this shit in any way.

Ascheroth

Wait, Erina's secretary is supposed to be someone?

Like, holy shit, I always saw her more as just an extension to Erina. She's literally anime girl model A design wise and this is the first time she's had any real hint of a personality. And yet she beats Stalker girl out of nowhere, a character who at least has some potential to be fun?

I don't know why it bothers me so much, but man like half the episode just feels like a waste since it focused on her. I really hope, if she makes it through, she goes against Megumi or any character that I actually want to see grow, because as an obstacle she's an untextured wall. She feels like a video game spin off OC sidequest villain.

Soma #3

Should have eaten something before watching.
Takumi is adorable.

Cornbread78

Shounen:
Fullmetal Achemist:Brotherhood (64 episodes)

Sci-fi/mystery:
Steins;Gate (24 episodes)
Blast of Tempest (24 episodes) action here as well
Erased (12 episodes)

Drama/Romance/Comedy:
Clannad & Clannad After Story (46 episodes)
Your Lie in April (24 rpisodes)

Mecha, Romance, Drama
Eureka 7 (50 episodes)

Comedy, Action, Mystery, Drama:
Little Busters (39 episodes)

Comedy:
B Gata h Kei (12 episodes)
Sabagebu! (12 episodes)
D-Frag (12 episodes)

Sports, Drama, Romance
Cross Game (50 episodes)

Slice of Life
Barakamon (12 episodes)
Working! (3 season's/approx. 36 episodes)

This would be a great mix of genre's to watch!

For Vita, I think the only difference would be in the colors available.

Re:Zero 13

The series, of course, cheats. It cheats because it is not being consistent. For a dozen episodes Subaru had acted in an outrageous way and it wasn't a problem, hell he triumphed because of it and attracted powerful allies while behaving in his shonen ways, so it seems this is a 'shonen setting'. And he isn't the only one!, in the royal meeting lots of other people were being outrageous, from other knights also interrupting the wise men, to insults being fling to each other, to Felm doing a roundhouse kick, to the Old Man trying to do a kidnapping with Reinhardt's plan.
But magically now him being outrageous is a problem, and of course the author uses the cheap trick of the MC not being able to explain his powers and all that happened, again.
Lack of consistency.

Remember in the 'true' timeline at least half the episodes haven't happened at all for the rest of the cast, most of his being an ass in the first loop and second loop never happened for them. Subaru has never had to deal with his pride because the timeslips have meant he's always been able to present his best face to everyone involved which is why he's never had to grow, just figure out the 'right' path. I believe to a great extent Subaru is playing a shonen MC in his own mind, it's why he expects the world to just go along with his ideas, why he hasn't cared to ask questions and why he is so angry that Emilia isn't just going along with his whims.

In some ways this is the first arc where he has to deal with the consequence of his having been an ass rather than just trying to to save his own skin. Other people being jackasses at the meeting had a context for me in that they were 'insiders' with rank and position in a system where Subaru had none.

Eumi

See, I went and read the whole manga of soma that's out, and now I don't like where it goes so I can't even appreciate the turnabout on Hishoko cause my feelings towards the series have been kind of soured.

Which sucks. I feel bad and no one can feel good that I've been proved wrong because I don't care anymore.

The Outcast Episode 2

He got nekkid! And lol at the eight wonder of the school story going around because his butt shined in the moonlight.

Also the best parts were with the grandpa and father and him talking about all the kung fu moves his dad does on him.

phaze

Twin Star Exorcists 01

Baaaaaaaaad. Dropped

Berserk 03
Back when Itagaki was announced to be helming this project, I thought I'd get to joke on him delivering on the comedic material that this hilariously overedge rape bonanza tripe of an arc is rife with, but this show is so poorly put together and ugly it can't even deliver on that.

Days 91

This gets some bonus points for being, relatively, unanime'ish but at the same time, it has yet to do anything that'd elevate it beyond passable. OP is pretty decent. Sasuga TK. ED song is pretty nice too.
----
Still got a few shows I've to check but this season seems very lacklustre so far.

Glad to see another soul coming to terms with badness of Soma.

Soma s2 03

q9nFIZX.jpg

ku ku ku thats right Yukihira I looked at your character sheet we got from the character designer

Gonna be honest I'm starting to just skip around. I already know what happens and it isn't the adaptations fault but just like last week man the Soma manga is so fuckin' lame right now that it saps my enthusiasm for the anime.

At least this episode had Stalker-kun and turtle

phaze

Katanagatari-END
A0r3jnN.jpg

UMM, you guys were right; that was an interesting ending. Not too sure how I feel about it right mow, since that epilogue scene kinda made me a little angry... I mean, the climb up the
Shogun's tower destroying all the swords
with the music playing was pretty damn epic. The action and art was beautiful, but dammit, that is not how I expected the show to end, so yeah, I'm a little salty tge way they deconstructed tge entire
relationship I had been following for 11 episodes.
Overall, the anime was excellent, however below is how I'm feeling right now....

tyP5gDj.gif
The climb and the final fight is one hell of a sequence.

Also, you're taking that ending better than I expected. lol

Qualidea Code Episode 2
CngSeoEVUAAydUr.jpg:small
CngXwBwWgAAsRWt.jpg:small

Oh nice Icchan and Kasumi focused stuff again made ep 2 even more fun than episode 1, and his powers was great.

Favorite scene: when Kasumi throws the hot towel at Icchan.

Also LISA is kind of losing her touch, the OP song could have been better.

Cornbread78

The climb and the final fight is one hell of a sequence.
Also, you're taking that ending better than I expected. lol

I think I'm still angry at that ending days later. It was stupid to
destroy the ship and kill Togame off right there, then the stupid annoyong princess tags along afterwords
why? That was stupid, made me angry and destroyed what tgey were building for the 11 episodes prior; yes, that's salt.

Kono Bijutsu ep.2
Not sure how I feel about this one yet. I'll give it another episode, but the whole 2D loli loving MC stuff isn't very enticing to follow..

Shounen:
Fullmetal Achemist:Brotherhood (64 episodes)

Sci-fi/mystery:
Steins;Gate (24 episodes)
Blast of Tempest (24 episodes) action here as well
Erased (12 episodes)

Drama/Romance/Comedy:
Clannad & Clannad After Story (46 episodes)
Your Lie in April (24 rpisodes)

Mecha, Romance, Drama
Eureka 7 (50 episodes)

Comedy, Action, Mystery, Drama:
Little Busters (39 episodes)

Comedy:
B Gata h Kei (12 episodes)
Sabagebu! (12 episodes)
D-Frag (12 episodes)

Sports, Drama, Romance
Cross Game (50 episodes)

Slice of Life
Barakamon (12 episodes)
Working! (3 season's/approx. 36 episodes)

This would be a great mix of genre's to watch!

For Vita, I think the only difference would be in the colors available.

I m always amazed how close our taste is as I entirely agree with this list. (Except maybe also have Baka and Test in Comedy)

Anyways... Is there any interesting anime to watch this season? I am jumping around looking for one. Already back watching Food Wars and started Orange, but I am also looking for more.

B Project Episode 3
CnghVnkWYAA_zWo.jpg:small

3 anime in a row today with either nekkid characters or swim/bath scenes, nice.

Not much real drama in this episode, but I like the consistent conflicts popping up with their sponders or advertising partners.

I m always amazed how close our taste is as I entirely agree with this list. (Except maybe also have Baka and Test in Comedy)

Anyways... Is there any interesting anime to watch this season? I am jumping around looking for one. Already back watching Food Wars and started Orange, but I am also looking for more.

Puzzle & Dragons Cross
Qualidea Code
Servamp
Cheer Boys

are the four anime most worth watching this season.

Kieli

See, I went and read the whole manga of soma that's out, and now I don't like where it goes so I can't even appreciate the turnabout on Hishoko cause my feelings towards the series have been kind of soured.

Which sucks. I feel bad and no one can feel good that I've been proved wrong because I don't care anymore.

lolwut?

Although others may disagree, I've mostly been satisfied with the progression of Soma even to the latest chapters. Enough that I got all the currently-out volumes and will continue to get the remaining ones as they release.

It's also the single series that's keeping me subscribed to Viz Jump. :s

Sunshine 3

At first I thought it was going to be a repeat of the original series but they're managing to keep it fresh despite the same themes.

Macross Delta 3-5

Freyja makes the best faces.

Cornbread78

Rewrite (you will prob like, don't ask everyone else, lol), Planetarian, Aldermin in the Sky and 91 days have had pretty strong starts so far.

Sölf

Berserk 03
Man, I need this uncensored like right now. Berserk with no nipples is even more offending than the CGI. And it doesn't help that Farnese is running around half naked the whole episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom