• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kuromukuro 11

Dang, that was a great episode. Okamura really delivered on the tension throughout the attack sequence. The swordfight between Fusnarie and Kennosuke was particularly engaging. The series isn't entirely consistent visually, but for the most part Okamura and company have been able to keep P.A. Works' animators putting out good work. Lots of great facial expressions this episode as well.

Mailbox

I liked Erased well enough. (Though that's not to say it didn't have issues)

I'm more disappointed in people's over-focus on episode 5 (Edit: By over-focus, I mean that I also didn't like that episode, but it seemed to me that people never got over their impression of that episode and just sort of expected the show to be bad after that point, which I feel tainted the overall impressions people would have had. I maintain that if that episode didn't exists or was different people wouldn't be as negative as they have been :) ) and the anime community getting in a fit over the fact that the main 2 characters didn't end up together. It's like many people expected a "save the princess; get the princess" situation, but when that didn't happen they cried out "NETORARE!" And then many of them just stopped looking at the show as it was. Erased had quite a few pacing issues and some issues with how it handled revealing things and how each episodes ended, but I feel like I was way more disappointed with the anime community than I was with the show while watching it.

I still consider Erased good; flawed, but good.
(Basically I'd give the show a 7-8/10 and the community a 3/10)

JulianImp

I liked Erased but it started out strong and ended in a weak way. Direction and framing was really good on that show, I'll give it that. Re:Zero has steadily been making progress from average to something to keep my eye on. Direction has had it's highs and lows (episode 15 being the highest so far) and the writing goes from average to interesting as well. I'd say it's a show that is well worth watching. I'll have to go until the end to be able to say whether it is better than Erased or not.

I've been liking it infinitely more than Erased, mostly because the latter was all kinds of underwhelming story and character-wise after the first couple episodes (which were amazing for me). Giving us an exposition dump on the antagonist felt like a really half-assed effort to flesh the character out, and it kind of made for a pretty underwhelming finale.

I also agree that the outrage after the MC didn't end up with the main girl felt really misguided, as it made sense that things ended up the way they had IMO.

Line_HTX

The battle for word of the year in 2016 has to be between "cliffhangers" and "deconstruction" with regards to both Erased and Re:Zero.

:lol

In all honestly, was there anything this year that even had filler in the true sense?

What is the true sense?
Please don't say original material in an adaptation.
And the answer is almost certainly. There are plenty of bloated anime that could have benefited from cutting some stuff.

Mailbox

Very happy with it!

I'm still waiting for all the bitching about cliffhangers to end... It's alright for done directors/shows to do it, but if it's Erased....

To be fair, every episode in Erased had a cliffhanger and some of them were legit bad (Though some of them were legitimately gripping!). If they got rid of those bad ones, people might not(read: "they'd find something else to") complain about it as much. Though you aren't wrong either, some other shows I've watched have been just as frequent with cliffhangers. Maybe because Erased is positioned more as a thriller that it gets more heat for it :S

What is the true sense?
Please don't say original material in an adaptation.
And the answer is almost certainly. There are plenty of bloated anime that could have benefited from cutting some stuff.

Episode 9 of School-Live!

Someone said there has been some filler material mixed into Twin Star Exorcists.

I haven't noticed it since I have no reference from the source material to compare it to..

It's had a bunch of anime original material and some stuff moved forward from when it happened in the manga. Whether or not that qualifies as filler is another question though.

Isn't filler where they run out of material from the source so to not stop production they continue with anime original content that has no effect on the characters or word?

Isn't filler where they run out of material from the source so to not stop production they continue with anime original content that has no effect on the characters or word?

Well, that's what some anime fans call it. But filler is a real thing in writing and it's not original material added in an adaptation. Though those shounen arcs often do qualify as filler anyway.

It's had a bunch of anime original material and some stuff moved forward from when it happened in the manga. Whether or not that qualifies as filler is another question though.
At this point I think twin star is more taking the original elements of the manga and reorganizing it in a new way. I would not qualifie this as filler since at this point it's almost an original story.

Naruto and one piece are fillers since they make content to delay the main story adaptation.

Narag

]At this point I think twin star is more taking the original elements of the manga and reorganizing it in a new way.[/B] I would not qualifie this as filler since at this point it's almost an original story.

Naruto and one piece are fillers since they make content to delay the main story adaptation.

This sounds interesting tbh.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
So is Fullmetal Alchemist the deadliest sin?

Or a lot of recent Kyoani stuff (I'm seriously shocked by the stuff they change ._. )

All anime contain the 7 deadly sins

1. It's in motion
2. it has color
3. it has voice actors
4. it has music
5. It has a intro theme
6. it has an ending theme
7. it has credits

None of these are in a manga

One Piece 750 (Good Lord)

I'm here to tell you that the villain Luffy fights after Doflamingo and struggles with in this filler arc is named...

Bill. Just Bill.

The battle for word of the year in 2016 has to be between "cliffhangers" and "deconstruction" with regards to both Erased and Re:Zero.

:lol

You're missing Filler, Budget and Pacing.

Cornbread78

In concept perhaps, but a lot of that reorganizing mostly results in a slower pace that doesn't do the series much favor.

Who knows, I've seen a lot of praise for some of the reorganization of character introductions and minor story events. Without having read it myself, I can't tell the difference myself though.

Still, it'll be interesting to hear how it plays out once it comes to an end.

Gonna be awhile. The show still has 36 episodes left, lol.

Narag

Berserk (2016) 3

I'm sort of enjoying this for what it is: the novelty of a Berserk anime in 2016: It'll probably never stop being ugly af. Also good to see brown Casca in the next ep preview.

Squishy3

In all honestly, was there anything this year that even had filler in the true sense?

Naruto is still airing.
Also One Piece, although a true filler arc just started and ended today

Granted, Toei also ruined Usopp's greatest moment by inserting a bunch of stuff that wasn't there. They stretched something that only took 2 pages (him pulling and releasing his shot) to last an entire episode so they could end it on Luffy arriving in front of Doflamingo.

There were multiple cutaways from Usopp pulling back the slingshot, panning across people in the country, to a daydream sequence of what would happen if he failed, to more stretching, to finally fucking doing it. There's some stuff they added that were good extra scenes (Like Bartolomeo pissing on Doflamingo's goons as he flies over them, that's totally in character for him) but holy fuck they ruined Usopp's best moment so hard. Ending of Dressrosa was lackluster too for this same reason because they turned something that wasn't really a struggle into a struggle

Just T

Rewrite: 3

Well after three episodes with the first one being double length this show still doesn't have one good point, it is awful, so it is dropped.

Kieli

Well after three episodes with the first one being double length this show still doesn't have one good point, it is awful, so it is dropped.

Am I the only one that finds the premise creepy as fuck? Essentially letting 30 year old men roam around high schools without other people noticing?

Narag

Am I the only one that finds the premise creepy as fuck? Essentially letting 30 year old men roam around high schools without other people noticing?

I don't think it's anything worse than something like Erased, Freaky Friday, or 17 Again. I mean the concept could be handled poorly but making a character younger and sending them back to school feels common enough.

i cant wait to get to episode 5 of macross delta omggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

twv9zAx.gif

wow wow wowow

Syrinx

Amanchu 2

I'd like to see some actual diving in the ocean now. I want to see some scenes where the show lets the ocean's sights and sounds (and the music) take over.

And if they could somehow get some diving gear for cats that would also be welcome.

Cornbread say something are you okay?

Is this show this season's garbage truck on fire? I couldn't get past the first 15mins of the premiere.

Cornbread78

Cornbread say something are you okay?

Is this show this season's garbage truck on fire? I couldn't get past the first 15mins of the premiere.

look i also want to forget Berserk exists but lets be real here okay

The show has been okay so far and the comedy has been surprisingly good. However, the pacing is all over the place, they revert back into "VN mode" in the middle of episodes, and there is no clear direction as to where they are going with the show. They have given small pieces of several concepts, however, they have not put anything tangable together yet so we understand what is going on.

I'm really hoping they can fix ot with the next few episodes at least...

tbh i've seen a good number of shows worse than rewrite this season.

Correct..

Quasar

Battery 1 - I'd normally run a mile from a sportsball anime, but it being a noitamina I figured it might be different. Was ok, liked the look of it and the setting. MC is a dick who I'd be avoiding irl, but the rest of the cast I like. Now lets see what the baseball/non baseball balance is like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom