• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Okada Gundam 06

This is what one could say it's a "nothing episode" and rightfully so because in the grand scheme of things not much really happens. However, even in a nothing episode, as long as it's character focused and there's substantial development in those characters, then I think that should count as something happening because it's huge progress. Orga may not have done anything the entire episode, but he is wondering how he should proceed in trying to meetup with this conglomerate mafia somewhere around Jupiter. And he is trying his best to maintain his cool as it seems he's afraid of Mikazuki seeing him vulnerable, I guess. Shoutouts to super low growling hoarse JYB.

For a nothing episode, exposition and some explanations even though it's the start of the dreaded Gundam politics goes a long way to having something happen and probably a good setup for later. This is much better than say Hunter x Hunter 12 where in that nothing episode, they're literally just killing time, and when there was no time left, they had to think quickly to get to the next phase of the exam. This one was truly a waste of time where nothing substantial or significance happened.

Mailbox

The last show on my immediate backlog is Prince of Stride Alternative.
God, is this a hard show to watch. Its really quite bad. I mean, the director, Key animator, original character designer, and others have done much better in the past, wtf happened here.

-_- I'm 7 episodes in, I'll give full impressions when this train-wreck is over.

TUSR

Banned
twv9zAx.gif

blurr

planning on picking Yuru Yuri after ReLIFE since that is the only other show I'm interested in and not region locked on CR premium - I saw gifs/images, it looked hilarious

Mailbox

planning on picking Yuru Yuri after ReLIFE since that is the only other show I'm interested in and not region locked on CR premium - I saw gifs/images, it looked hilarious

Yuru Yuri is some good fun. The third season changed the colour palette for the worse, but I think it might be the best season.

91 Days 02

I always feel like this show could go off the rails at any moment, but so far it hasn't and I'm pretty happy with that.

Servamp 02

I am so glad that the MC is getting a friend to bounce things off because I find him generally boring.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Amaama to inazuma 2
Still cute. Damn father, learn how to use a knife! One wrong move, there goes your finger... (almost cut my pinky when cutting potato once)
I think i'm going to give the recipe a try when i got time. Ingredient seem to be easy to find (except konyaku, maybe i could try international market for that one)

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! 02

Love Live! Sunshine!! 03

So blonde girl is the new Nozumi. I'm ok with this.

Masou Gakuen HxH - 02

CnkqUlfWYAAKaY2.jpg

SHAMELESS!!
I like the way they had the sticky spit trail across the blonde girl's mouth and down her chin as he finished powering her up. This smut is like a fine wine.

Qurupeke

Macross Delta 6-10
8dbZfxx.png

Freyja's reaction faces are too good.

Mmm I'm actually enjoying it a lot and I love the songs. Even the air fights are becoming better and better.
Not Meisser. :( Kaname x Meisser was the OTP.

That's a lie though, 00 s2 and the movie were both really good. After watching Zeta just recently I found more enjoyment out of those two.

They really weren't.

00 S2 had some of the most baffling decisions made by characters I've ever seen in an anime and the whole thing past episode 13 was a convoluted mess of Newtype Innovator technobabble.

It's only saving grace were its first and last episodes, and the Trans-Am Raiser theme.

The movie is an even bigger convoluted mess with a penultimate scene revolving around a giant flower in space and the whole thing just looking iffy all around.

They really weren't.

00 S2 had some of the most baffling decisions made by characters I've ever seen in an anime and the whole thing past episode 13 was a convoluted mess of Newtype Innovator technobabble.

It's only saving grace were its first and last episodes, and the Trans-Am Raiser theme.

The movie is an even bigger convoluted mess with a penultimate scene revolving around a giant flower in space and the whole thing just looking iffy all around.

the 00 movie flower ending was great and much better then
the Scorrico turning Kamille dumb and ohh The End

Also Zeta's female cast, apart maybe from Emma and Fa, were sooo dumb they probably beat 3 gundam shows worth of dumbness.

I haven't watched ZZ yet and it's suppose to be worst.

zulux21

Sölf;210287742 said:
But what sort of movie. Continuation or just a remake of what we already know?

im curious as well, as the series is broken into such nice chunks they could easily make 3 movies while stalling to make a second season.

but then again it's broken in such nice chunks you can just continue with movies too.

that being said the next arc is a multiple book arc and would fit better in tv format than movie format, though I have only read the first book of that arc (the second one got delayed) there is plenty of currently seemingly pointless stuff in the book that could be cut for a movie.

the 00 movie flower ending was great and much better then
the Scorrico turning Kamille dumb and ohh The End

Also Zeta's female cast, apart maybe from Emma and Fa, were sooo dumb they probably beat 3 gundam shows worth of dumbness.

I haven't watched ZZ yet and it's suppose to be worst.

Would you care to elaborate on why you think SPACE FLOWER was great? Because the movie certainly didn't do that!

Also I only keep hearing good things about ZZ Gundam.

Would you care to elaborate on why you think SPACE FLOWER was great? Because the movie certainly didn't do that!

Also I only keep hearing good things about ZZ Gundam.
I'll spoiler in case someone did not watch 00

I always saw the flower has the culmination of the dialogue success that 00 try to have upfront has the theme. After Setsuna successfully contacts the ELS and they begin to understand each other, The ELS understanding that they should no longer attack the human and having no other means to communicate peace chose what Setsuna identify the most to peace. In this case the flower.

Also I thought that us knowing that it really was impossible for the earth to win against the ELS, it made sense that their only choice was communicating.

Also i'm hearing the opposite about ZZ, supposed to be one the worst UC show.

Aki-at

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - 16

This show is fantastic and I loved this episode so much. Not only is Jotaro a much better character this time round but Josuke has really grown on me as the series carried on (Not that I ever disliked him, but he just keeps getting better and better) Ever since episode 10 this show went into another gear and I'm always excited for Fridays.

Thunderbolt Fantasy - 2

Surprise show of 2016, never thought I'd ever watch a puppet show and enjoy it. I showed it to a friend on Saturday and after what I could guess is a bewildered disgust expression he ended up loving it.

This looks like a decent band of heroes.

Space Brothers - 30

I cannot stop myself binging on this show, it's so good.

Cornbread78

Tales of Zestiria the X ep.3

I still can't get over how beautiful this show is. I love the way they are going through the story pieces of the game and adding in pieces that would usually be skipped in the game. I can't wait to see Ladylake animated as well as the sword drawing scene with Laliah's intro.

Oh, that hellion battle scene was excellent and I loved the skit part at the end.

blurr

ReLIFE 07-09

Kariu (I'm amazed I get her name right every time) also flipped out on the competitive pressure of sports. All it took was a leg sprain accidentally caused by her rival. Since the both of them showed no signs of making up, Hishiro and Kaizaki notice and contemplate about helping them. Obviously they proceed to help or at least find out what the problem is but I like Hishiro's advancement to the decision. Hishiro shares a bad experience she had when she got involved when someone got bullied, it seems that it got worse as a result of her involvement, likewise Kaizaki shares his own unfortunate experience on a similar predicament. Now they both are in a dilemma about whether they should get involved between Kariu and her rival or if it is a bad idea in retrospect of their experiences.

Bad experiences/failures are really hard to get over, especially when left undealt, even if the visual or auditory memory fades, the feeling of the moment remains, often without context; this is particularly bad when you encounter similar situations at some point in life, you're left with this "bad" feeling often "fear" consequently missing out on opportunities. The most effective way to prevent such negative feelings from developing any further is to understand and resolve the situation that led to a bad experience/failure as soon as possible which is basically what Hishiro speaks of. She can't let one bad experience be a guidance to anything even remotely similar. Kaizaki recalls a similar experience that evidently left him traumatic on remembering, it is all the more reason that he gets involved in this to get over that trauma.

We have reached the climax of their conflict towards the end of the episode, I'm assuming it gets resolved in the next.

ReLIFE has quite a bit of interesting drama going on amidst the laid back atmosphere, some silliness here and there. I'm fairly satisfied with what I've watched so far. I can see myself recommending this.

(apparently, that's how images under quotes are spoiler tagged)

The Morose Mononokean Episode 3 – Zenko

Good story and Im glad Ashiya was able to tell her the true meaning of what the dad meant.

Ashiya with wanting a normal school life was hilarious, too bad most of the class thinks he's weird.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Nothing non sequitor about that, though I admit it's very cryptic!

Tales of Zestiria ep.2

This episode was soo good. That animation during the battle was amazing and made Sorey look so cool. The anime also makes gramps look much more OP then the game...that agility yo!

Alisha with her hair loose made me think of an older Elise from xillia.

I'm kind of digging ReWrite but possibly for the wrong reasons as while I acknowledge all of the weaknesses everybody is pointing out it's managed to stay on the interesting side of the 'car-cash' line thus far. I'll need to see something approaching a plot show up soon though. I think it's the dialogue I'm liking thus far even the tropey characters have some decent zingers and as this is my first Key show I'm not tired of this yet (apparently this one of their hallmarks?).

Planetarian though I'm all on board with, the way the traveler seemed to turn back out of a sense of pathos and how the robot is portrayed as task focused with just a hint of possible personality. Mmmm delicious.

Aki-at

I mean these first 3 episodes were excellent and I doubt it'll fall of massively. But I'll keep commenting on it every now and then anyways.

Yeah I keep hearing good things about this show but put it in the back burner after loving the first episode so really interested to hear more about your impressions.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Arslan Senki Season 2, Episode 3:

As mentioned this episode ends at the very point that the old OVA series that existed back in the 1990s ended upon and I still do not like the set up very well. Like I get Adragoras has the divine right of kings behind him but he seems to have the political skills of a gnat or rather the series brushes aside the complicated politics to basically hit the reset button on Arslan's adventures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom