• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

javac

Even though I’m only five episodes in, Revolutionary Girl Utena has effortlessly managed to grab me by my collar and has pulled me deep into its imaginative and sprawling world, sweeping me off my feet and leaving me spellbound and clamoring for more. The one-two combo of its beautiful visuals and its grandiose soundtrack makes for a very attractive series and even though the show is almost two decades old it still manages to feel like a breath of fresh air all these years later.
BIpnIRX.jpg
SJ70V7d.jpg
The backgrounds for Utena are akin to the backgrounds that you’d see in a play, a feeling that has exuded from every crevice of this series. The framing of scenes for one is very musical like with exuberant cinematography and 'sets' that exist merely to look attractive. The camera pans and sweeps with the music in harmony like dance partners in sync both complimenting and strengthening one other. Each scene has just enough visual elements to create a sense of place and build the set without feeling overbearing and each frame explicitly captures what is necessary to make the scene work. Background elements are elaborately placed in order to create atmosphere and the camera is meticulously positioned in order to add personality to each and every scene. The visual storytelling is very over-dramatic and works extremely well. Backgrounds are very sketchy and plain with only the main focal points having the utmost detail and color.
Speaking of which, the use of color and even lack thereof is super effective with fantastic use of shadows being utilized in order to emphasize the play like nature of the series with some shadows even being cast onto the background. The backgrounds are generally white which allows for the more colorful characters to shine and standout with an effect that is not too dissimilar to having a spotlight on the actor speaking on stage. The characters are the stars of the show after all and the props merely exist around them, but that’s not to say that the set pieces don’t steal the show every once in a while either. Even though a lot of the backgrounds are plain it never feels as a means to cut corners and instead comes across as hyper stylistic and unique choice that is very deliberate and it’s these visual elements that have allowed Utena to become the highly praised and revered series that it is all these years later.
The character designs contain distinct hallmarks of the shoujo manga of yesteryear with pointy noses and huge, blank, empty eyes and very extravagant hairstyles with colors that cover every gamut of the rainbow. Intricate and elaborate costumes are littered throughout which adds a lot of personality to the series. The characters themselves are both very slender and lanky with long legs and strange proportions which along with the huge eyes and elaborate hairstyles adds a lot of femininity to the series. The titular protagonist, a girl who wears a boy’s uniform, partakes in ‘male’ activities and yearns to become a prince one day lends credence to the aforementioned fact about femininity and the constraints that this show both strives to break and critique.
The show has yet to delve deeper into these thematic expressions and yet I’m already enamored. The cast is interesting and exude charm in each and every scene that they appear in; the dynamic facial expressions help a lot no doubt. I didn’t expect Utena to be a show that tickled my funny bone and yet it does, each scene with Nanami in particular is highly entertaining and Utena herself is a super likeable character.
It’s clear that I’m having a lot of fun with this series and I’m really interested in seeing it all the way to the end, not just to see the pretty visuals and hear the beautiful music and spend time with the characters but to ultimately see where the writers go and what themes they tackle.

Dragon Ball Super 52

ap_090911089838_sq-3271237f28995f6530d9634ff27228cae88e3440-s900-c85.jpg

Gohan fans now and forever

The best part of this arc is Kid Trunks trying to look cool in front of everyone compared to Future Trunks, he's getting upstaged by himself

Hunter x Hunter '99 03

I must confess that it has been so long since I've looked at the opening parts of HxH that I don't remember whats supposed to be filler and whats not.

Geist-

Its funny to see him act this way because in your typical story like this everyone he went to would have believed him cause 'trust' or 'he's a good person' w/e. But in Subaru's case nobody is giving him the time of day and rightfully so because he has either pissed them off previously or he has utterly nothing at all to offer them. He only got some mild help from the last girl because he accidentally provided her with information.

Subaru is a jackass of highest order and isn't fucking getting any personal growth out of any of his recent mistakes because he is so god damn blinded at this point.
Subaru is a jackass, but at least this show has consequences for his behaviour. I feel like this arc is going to be mostly him getting past his abrasive personality and actually becoming an effective negotiator and leader.

At least, I hope it's leading towards that type of character growth.

Subaru is a jackass, but at least this show has consequences for his behaviour. I feel like this arc is going to be mostly him getting past his abrasive personality and actually becoming an effective negotiator and leader.

At least, I hope it's leading towards that type of character growth.

Well he will get better at least.

Kuromukuro 12

This training episode was a lot more entertaining than I expected. Really good comedic direction. I particularly enjoyed the smooth background transition from Yukina lying on the ground wanting to wash her hair to her being pushed into the pool with full equipment on.

The last scene was a good way of capping off the relationship development that's happened between her and Kennosuke over the course of the series.

Hunter x Hunter '99 03

I must confess that it has been so long since I've looked at the opening parts of HxH that I don't remember whats supposed to be filler and whats not.

The 1999 anime expands on the Hunter Exam arc greatly. I was actually rather surprised when I thumbed through the first volume of the manga recently and saw how comparatively sparse it is.

I see you getting your groove back javac ^^ As always writing is on point.

Re:Zero - 16

I see what's going on here folks. There is going to be another loop. We can clearly see how all of these problems and the way Subaru reacted whenever he had to negotiate was due to him wanting for himself and not coming prepared. The characters he talked to told him that much. The emphasis on this very fact and how as is he won't really stand a chance against the cult, I predict that he is going to die again sadly. Hopefully he gets his head out of his ass and learns a few things from everything that has been happening. Amongst all of the madness and craziness that he has been spouting, some crucial bits of info could very well help him get the upper hand when dealing and asking for help from the other candidates.

phaze

You're right, Utena doesn't have the gorgeous animation in fights Star Driver does.

------

I mean, dropping the facetiousness for a moment, there are heavy similarities in structure of both shows, in how it handles its story and even in some themes they handle IIRC Utena more or less correctly. I don't think its that outrageous to compare the two, irrelevant what you think of their quality. Star Driver even apes Utena's backstory dump via theatrical play.

Theonik

That supporting evidence, not a contradiction! Writers attempt to imitate their earlier works all the time.
Minding I still need to finish SD. Enokido has his own distinct style which is present in Utena and other works of his including the bits of SD I did watch. I feel it's less imitation and more his 'thing'.

Orange - 03

So the characterization in Orange appears to be quite good and consistent. Last episode made it appear as though Kakeru might be fairly outgoing actually and in this episode he exhibits as much. In general these characters feel like believable high schoolers.

On the other hand, even though that's the case, some of the scenes still feel slightly stilted to me. Particularly those when we're shown how much fun our protagonist friends have. I think the direction is rather weak and plain in this series. I don't think I've seen a single outstanding moment thus far.

There's some awkwardness concerning these letters, too. For once, it isn't apparent when Naho even getting those. Like, she only gets them one at a time, right? But we never see her pick them up again. When Naho realizes that her actions have already changed the future described in the letters I was thinking "yup, but now what, you shouldn't all these letters become mostly irrelevant?" There've been major changes already, yet, when a letter mentions Kakeru forgetting his pen and Naho who offers him one and an eraser gets back a message hidden in the eraser package, that ends up happening. That just, seems rather unlikely. It's strange when the show acknowledges that her actions really do affect the future already but then demonstrates a pretty detailed, unlikely event to happen precisely as predicted. So yeh, in actually the letters should be pointless by now unless they're written from a future that's 'updated' continuously according to the current events, which seems unlikely. But, I guess I'm supposed to just suspend my disbelief really hard there...

I'm also wondering if we keep getting future timeline progression at the end of each episode. Maybe we'll actually get to see why future Naho decides to write these letters? It certainly was interesting to see that
Kakeru was intent on committing suicide at the time of writing that time capsule letter to his future self (or, now rather his friends)

Days would be so much better if he were a prodigy instead of a beginning soccer player. Also how in the world was Mizuki the weakest link and became the best ever, I didnt know practicing soccer that much beats out natural talent and people who played from birth.

Guys, Kuromukuro is pretty good.

Despite being a show about a time traveling samurai that pilots a giant mecha, it's a pretty grounded show that never loses focus on its characters.

Szadek

Berserk (the good one) - Ep. 4-6
Guess this the point where the supernatural elements come really into play.
So far it was just about medieval warfare.

As usal the visuals are lacking, but the music makes up for that in spades.
Episode 6 also had quite the prophecy for Guts, that should be interesting.

Shirobako - Ep. 9
What kind of anime is Exodus anyway?
All I can tell is that it's super weird.

Whatever, it was a great episode. The personal struggle of the characters are quite engaging.

Star Wars Rebels S2: End

In anticipation for S3 I watched this weekend. Has its ups and downs, but mostly ups and the last two episodes were hype. That S3 trailer looks amazing too, cannot wait.

Narag

Star Wars Rebels S2: End

In anticipation for S3 I watched this weekend. Has its ups and downs, but mostly ups and the last two episodes were hype. That S3 trailer looks amazing too, cannot wait.

how long are the eps/seasons?
Kinda tempted to hop aboard the Thrawn train. /choo choo

Qurupeke

Rezero 16

I'd completely forgotten that he still had his phone on him, though. Maybe he could try and pawn it off on one of the candidates if push comes to shove.

He's really lucky he didn't have a smartphone and his battery actually lasted for more than a couple of days.

javac

I forgot to add, Chu-Chu is cool. Crazy monkey.

I see you getting your groove back javac ^^ As always writing is on point.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words as always. After a long time I'm starting to get my appetite back, I've actually watched quite a few things lately and I'm hoping to post more often but I guess not everything warrants the discussion. Likewise I'm also not sure if people here care to see image dumps but sometimes I think that's warranted too so it's a case by case basis. If people enjoy them then I don't mind posting more regularly.

I forgot to add, Chu-Chu is cool. Crazy monkey.

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words as always. After a long time I'm starting to get my appetite back, I've actually watched quite a few things lately and I'm hoping to post more often but I guess not everything warrants the discussion. Likewise I'm also not sure if people here care to see image dumps but sometimes I think that's warranted too so it's a case by case basis. If people enjoy them then I don't mind posting more regularly.

I enjoy the images as a visual learner kind of guy. I appreciate having images going along with longer text, not only because it gives more context to what I am reading about, but because it gives you a break from reading words.

how long are the eps/seasons?
Kinda tempted to hop aboard the Thrawn train. /choo choo

Premieres tend to be 45 mins (aka 1 hour with commercials) long. Every other episode is the usual 19-23 minutes.

S1 was like 13 episodes long plus a 45 min premiere

S2 was 21 episodes long, including the 40+ minute episode 1.

I'd recommend being at least somewhat familiar with clone wars, or at the very least with what happened and the characters as it's a prequel to this show canon-wise and it does end up having links here and there. S1 was ok, S2 is much much better because it expands the cast and takes a more interesting direction than I expected with Ezra (the lead character). S3 seems to be a timeskip too and I've always loved those can't wait.

edit: oh I should probably mention that don't do what I did. Unless Disney XD streams it if you have it in your cable, it's actually cheaper to watch season 2 by buying the blu ray with amazon prime if you have it. Prime Video charges you 20 bucks for the first half, and 20 for the second half while the blu ray costs like 30 something bucks with prime. What crooks.

Cornbread78

Souma S2 ep.3
My girl
Megumi
got robbed, the fix is on, this is bullshit. It was great to see
Erina's camp lose a match as well because she sucks

That is all..

javac

I enjoy the images as a visual learner kind of guy. I appreciate having images going along with longer text, not only because it gives more context to what I am reading about, but because it gives you a break from reading words.

Yeah I guess my main hope is that I don't spoil anything, everyone has different tolerances after all and I want to respect that. Like you said I try to just have them compliment the text. With my Eva re-watch I'm not sure if I should talk in depth about each episode or just post choice screens and leave it at that, my days of discussing Eva in depth on Evageeks and elsewhere are long behind me so that might be interesting on one hand but I don't want to embarrass myself either ha. Maybe I'll just stick with images with that one, it's such a good looking show after all. Since Utena is a new experience for me however I wanted to exercise my brain a little more for lack of better words. What I like about first impressions is looking back after you finish the show and seeing how your opinions evolved over time.

Jarmel

Banned
91 Days-2

I was going to complain about how sloppy Avilio was in the bedroom scene but I'm wondering whether he missed on purpose.

This also feels a tinge bit too anime-ish with the guy jumping from the bedroom across to the other roof but at least people are getting mirked so I can forgive the show somewhat.

javac

I'm a fan of the Utena OP but I'll admit that I didn't care for it the first time through but it's actually pretty sick.

Jintor

utena is so gorgeous and i love the artistry of its shots but I only have like a 40% comprehension rate

I do like how committed it is to its own dumb metaphor shit

still haven't watched after the black rose arc. the episode right after was a recap episode and I just haven't brought myself to watch more yet

Cornbread78

ReZero ep.16
Subaru just can't win at anything and he got beat down so badly by all these useless bitchy princesses. He is going to go psychotic and kill soom peeps by the end, isn't he?

Soi-Fong

ReZero ep.16
Subaru just can't win at anything and he got beat down so badly by all these useless bitchy princesses. He is going to go psychotic and kill soom peeps by the end, isn't he?

He's learning the realities of that cruel world. They all basically handed him in a platter what he should do and learn.

I expect that white whale to kill him in the next episode. Time will tell whether he learned anything big from this episode. I'd like to think so since at the very end he negotiated with the merchants instead of just asking for help.

barybll

Banned
ReZero ep.16

He is an average dude in a world full of superpowered humans and magically enhanced beasts.

He will adapt someday I believe

Yeah I guess my main hope is that I don't spoil anything, everyone has different tolerances after all and I want to respect that. Like you said I try to just have them compliment the text. With my Eva re-watch I'm not sure if I should talk in depth about each episode or just post choice screens and leave it at that, my days of discussing Eva in depth on Evageeks and elsewhere are long behind me so that might be interesting on one hand but I don't want to embarrass myself either ha. Maybe I'll just stick with images with that one, it's such a good looking show after all. Since Utena is a new experience for me however I wanted to exercise my brain a little more for lack of better words. What I like about first impressions is looking back after you finish the show and seeing how your opinions evolved over time.

I dare you to resist posting Eva images (especially BD ones) when there's just that many god-tier shots.

Nah, really, I'd certainly appreciate more Eva impressions, even if you don't go as in-depths or so.

91 Days-2

I was going to complain about how sloppy Avilio was in the bedroom scene but I'm wondering whether he missed on purpose.

This also feels a tinge bit too anime-ish with the guy jumping from the bedroom across to the other roof but at least people are getting mirked so I can forgive the show somewhat.

He said earlier he hadn't killed anyone before, and we already know he isn't a world class strategist considering how sloppy
his murder in the graveyard was planned

His fuck-up isn't anything you couldn't see in a similar show/movie though.
Guy looks through mirror, uses shield, jumps through window to get away while the bodyguard comes up and distracts you

Qurupeke

Macross Delta 11-15

And.. caught up for now. The show is good. Freyja's flight scene was incredible.
Moreover, the enemies have gone full villain mode it seems. They were "grey" for the first few episodes, and I was expecting they'd join the protagonists to fight the real antagonist, but that seems less likely now...

javac

I dare you to resist posting Eva images (especially BD ones) when there's just that many god-tier shots.

Nah, really, I'd certainly appreciate more Eva impressions, even if you don't go as in-depths or so.

Yeah I usually find it hard enough to only take a few screenshots as is, I end up taking loads and then choose the best ones (I should probably post the remaining ones to my Tumblr or something...) so it would be a million times harder to only take "a few" Eva screens, every frame is a work of art, doubly so on BD! Unlike with other shows where I watch multiple episodes at a time I'm going to take it really slow with Eva so that might give me the perfectly opportunity to go more in-depth on each episode. I guess my fear is that I want to enjoy the show on a superficial level too, and although I do enjoy deep-diving and such and I love Eva to bits I'm also not the Eva 'connoisseur' I once was. I'll see I guess, could be interesting :)

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.53

Damn, Mustang is pissed loved the beatdown
Envy
was getting until that waaay too predictable scene with the
gun pointed at the back of his head
to close out the episode..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom