• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargles

orange - 3

That was not the best episode to watch before Re:Zero's. The feels are coming and they look strong. Not only there was a
heartbroken Naho but also Kakeru's apparent suicide note
during the future scene. That last moment was the answer I needed while watching this episode. Things are getting interesting, even though there's a price to pay: feels. Still loving this show.

After all the complaints I hope Orange doesn't Usagi Drop and have a distasteful ending. If she does end up
saving the friend and somehow end up married to him in the future
I'll riot.

RE:Zero 16

Not as exciting as last weeks, but I expected as much. We're being showcased that Subaru can't negotiate, and that all the lords are douchebags. There's a potential bonus advice Subaru got though from all this, so he can at least make use of it next time.

CnleQ3qUsAAiRpD.jpg:large
CnleQ3jVYAABogJ.jpg:large

On the other hand, you thought things can't get worse? Well... it's going to get worse
WHITE WHALE! Capable of eradicating your very existence to everyone but Subaru.

Qurupeke

Re: Zero 16
eySbWP3.png

lol He keeps embarrassing himself.
I hoped his latest experience would make him less of an idiot, but unfortunately, I was so wrong. He keeps pissing off people everywhere.
And of course, nothing goes as planned again. Not only he has to deal with the cult but that whale too now. I hope that the whale killed him because the blond girl seemed seriously pissed. And holy shit, she was strong.

Cyrano

Arslan Senki Season 2, Episode 3:

As mentioned this episode ends at the very point that the old OVA series that existed back in the 1990s ended upon and I still do not like the set up very well. Like I get Adragoras has the divine right of kings behind him but he seems to have the political skills of a gnat or rather the series brushes aside the complicated politics to basically hit the reset button on Arslan's adventures.
It's pretty apparent that he represents an old way of thinking but that's not exactly surprising given his backstory. Given the time period it's not surprising for any leader to have a might makes right demeanor, and in a completely absolute sense at that. It's also fairly apparent that he is an extremely capable ruler and that alone does command respect, even if it's mostly the respect of soldiers and not common people.

I hoped his latest experience would make him less of an idiot, but unfortunately, I was so wrong. He keeps pissing off people everywhere.
And of course, nothing goes as planned again. Not only he has to deal with the cult but that whale too now. I hope that the whale killed him because the blond girl seemed seriously pissed. And holy shit, she was strong.

I have my doubts that he will be killed by the whale, given that it essentially can write anything out of existence, including memories of that person existing to other people.

One Piece 750

This filler arc was terrible. Didn't even set up the film in any interesting way.

Also Luffy killed someone I guess.

Filler people aren't real people.

And I'm sure Luffy's killed random marines before. He's certainly fought with the intent to kill or at least didn't care if he did like when he punched Lucci into the water

Qurupeke

I have my doubts that he will be killed by the whale, given that it essentially can write anything out of existence, including memories of that person existing to other people.

I guess this is what happened with the bandanna guy but did they confirm that it has this ability? Because that's overpowered and terrifying, even considering Subaru's ability.

T-Rex.

Banned
Re:ZERO 16
He's terrible at negotiating, but man those other candidates are all arseholes. I don't blame him for not being able to keep his cool. Saying that, he's got all the advice he needs on how to deal with each of them going forward.

Priscilla is the best candidate, her scenes are pretty great.

Cornbread78

Orange ep.3
Damn, that closing scene in the future as they started figuring everything out was pretty sad stuff. After that scene, it's confirmed that he
commited suicide
during that year. Naho is trying to
change the future
, but she's not going at it 100% according to the letter, so some things are being changed, but not everything as needed.

Excellent episode again though.

ReZero Ep 16

I love how we don't see Subaru's eyes in close up until 4:50 when he's arguing, it adds a foreboding to the opening minutes and allows us to focus on everyone else's reactions to him. He continues to not get it and continues to try and 'solve the puzzle' to save Emilia. He even
surrenders her claim to the throne
without giving it a second thought, there is nothing so far to suggest Emilia would be on-board for that deal. So thank heavens Crusch just bawls him out of it and essentially tells him stop trying to play at the adults table, a point further rammed home by Priscilla later on. Subaru keeps behaving as if there are no motivations or goals in play except his own but the show won't let him away with it and that's why this is my AOTY so far.

Pundere

Took him the whole episode but Subaru realized he can't just make an impassioned protagonist rant and expect other people to go along with him. Seems like he calmed down a lot by the end and made an actual smart move, but the whale screwed that up. Poor idiot can't catch a break.

Oh and Al is still a bro.

I guess this is what happened with the bandanna guy but did they confirm that it has this ability? Because that's overpowered and terrifying, even considering Subaru's ability.

It's pretty clear. Everyone knew of the Bandanna Guy, but the moment he disappeared, and Subaru asked what happened to him, whatshisface didn't even know who he was talking about. Given where the whale was, it appears that the White Whale did the bandanna guy in.

Orange ep.3
Damn, that closing scene in the future as they started figuring everything out was pretty sad stuff. After that scene, it's confirmed that he
commited suicide
during that year. Naho is trying to
change the future
, but she's not going at it 100% according to the letter, so some things are being changed, but not everything as needed.

Excellent episode again though.

How is that confirmation, that just seems like something they are implying with lots of missing information.

Orange 3

This is starting to be a bit bland. The slow pace is also not helping. I like the visual aspect, I like a lot the character designs, I like how characterization wise it feels grounded and not ANIME, they are like normal high schoolers!
But, it's being a very traditional shojo story at the core, including a very bland, timid-prone girl as protagonist who will obsess over his infatuated love. It has the gimmick of the time-letter, but it isn't being used in any novel or creative ways, it's basically a plot-device for the author to put her comments of what's going to happen and maybe put some artificial drama.
And of course the protagonist isn't very intelligent and only will read the paragraph of each day the previous night, instead of reading it all. She has a lot of self control and HATE spoilers, I suppose!
The direction is pretty meh, I don't think this series is going to stick into my mind in a year, for example.

zero kara
honestly one of the best anime of the last years...
ep 15 was INCREDIBLE, ep 16 is a bit on the low side after that ep,but ultimately it only showcase how all the ruler are opportunistic pos..
and now one week wait for ep 17..

Yeah, I dunno what future-Naho's end-game is. It sounds like she's still very much in love with Kakeru?

I think she mostly wants to save his life, though the way she is pushing her younger self to get romantically involved with him is strange as it doesn't fit with how future-Naho's marriage is portrayed.

Ascheroth

Re:Zero #16

Oh man, yet another awesome episode.
The killing intent is strong with Subaru and he just kept on pissing everyone off left and right and gets played like a fiddle. The other candidates are all some major douchebags but he at least got some useful advice out of it going forward.
I loved how everyone kept reminding him, that everything he did and asked was only for himself, no matter how pretty and heroic he may have made his cause sound. Just great.
Had a pretty good plan towards the end even, but of course something comes along and fucks everything up again.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012) - FIN

Really great show that is now in top10 anime series of all time. Love how the series passes the torch to the next main character and things happen at great pace so it's already so much better than the long-runnin shonen series that has less character development in 500 episodes than JoJo has in 15.

Visually distinctive, really fun show. Going to miss some glorious bastards parts 1 and 2 had but can't wait to watch Part 3 since JoJo is always sure to deliver new great characters. If there is someone that hasn't started this I definitely can recommend it to anyone.

Exalted

Re zero episode 16

A bit different tone than the last episode, but i already expected that. Subaru was still being Subaru, so no wonder no one really took him serious. One would hope that he would learn something from all the failed negotiations and use it in the future to his advantage, but the guy is a slow learner. Am interested to learn what that thing was at the end next week.
Also that phone must have an really amazing battery :eek:

Ascheroth

Re zero episode 16

A bit different tone than the last episode, but i already expected that. Subaru was still being Subaru, so no wonder no one really took him serious. One would hope that he would learn something from all the failed negotiations and use it in the future to his advantage, but the guy is a slow learner. Am interested to learn what that thing was at the end next week.
Also that phone must have an really amazing battery :eek:

Well he actually put some of the advice in practice at the end, so maybe there's still hope for him? :p

While not as exciting as 15 this episode was very informative about the natures of the another candidate girls and continued to expose more of Subaru's flaws and his general powerlessness at changing the current situation despite having a very useful power.

BUT FUCK ALL THAT THIS MOFU IS TOO CUTE I WANT SEVERAL OF IT

Re zero 16

Wait, What was the bad part?
:p

So plot wise for now it's predictable, he tries to get help as he knows Rem isn't enough, but people don't believe him, he doesn't have any evidence and can't tell shit and he doesn't have arguments to make them help an enemy. But he receives hints of his behavior and what makes tick each candidate so I suppose in a few loops he will do it right.

Jesus, is he slow and over dramatic. What do you care if she learns a trader visited another candidate.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey

I mean, you can't blame the dude. He's seen an entire village and basically his best friends get tortured and murdered in cold blood. That's not something that you can just rebound from. He's frustrated and angry, but because his save point is right after he's made a huge ass of himself, that's not doing him any favors.

However it is painful to watch at points, because he is indeed acting like an entitled asshole.

Subaru is actively distasteful to the point where I can't even enjoy watching him suffer because it only inspires him to become more of an asshole/idiot.

I mean, you can't blame the dude. He's seen an entire village and basically his best friends get tortured and murdered in cold blood. That's not something that you can just rebound from. He's frustrated and angry, but because his save point is right after he's made a huge ass of himself, that's not doing him any favors.

However it is painful to watch at points, because he is indeed acting like an entitled asshole.
Its funny to see him act this way because in your typical story like this everyone he went to would have believed him cause 'trust' or 'he's a good person' w/e. But in Subaru's case nobody is giving him the time of day and rightfully so because he has either pissed them off previously or he has utterly nothing at all to offer them. He only got some mild help from the last girl because he accidentally provided her with information.

Subaru is a jackass of highest order and isn't fucking getting any personal growth out of any of his recent mistakes because he is so god damn blinded at this point.

Arslan S2 Episode 3
Arslan_Senki_Fuujin_Ranbu_03_Large_17.jpg

Okay so humanizing Hilmes by introducing an old flame isn't exactly subtle writing to be sure, but it does work, mostly. Though I wish they had kept the needless fight out of the flashback. Did we really need some grovelling wuss to try and take on Hilmes just for profit? Barring the fight, the scenes with his old love had a dreamlike quality to them. The second part of the episode wasn't as good, because I actually hoped Arslan's crew would have to split up for a bit. But because they really love their DENKA, they all break ranks and follow him.

Only five episodes left. I hope they make the most of them.

kewlmyc

I actually like that they made the protagonist of Re:Zero an complete incompetent jackass. It's a nice change of pace from the typical LN adaption protags we usually get.

The episode where he gets his ass beat by Julius and gets told by Emilia was kinda painful to watch though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I wish I had a Mofu White Mage Mercenary Army.

BosSin

Hi dudes I am going on holiday soon and am looking for an anime with a complete season or anime movies to download.

I have watched loads of anime and can't really remember most of what I have seen, so just throw some stuff out there and I'll google it.

Thanks for the help in advance

phaze

Re zero 16

Jesus, is he slow and over dramatic. What do you care if she learns a trader visited another candidate.

Yeah, that was a weird reaction even coming from him.

Hi dudes I am going on holiday soon and am looking for an anime with a complete season or anime movies to watch on Crunchyroll, Funimation, Daisuki on any other, legally streaming service.

I have watched loads of anime and can't really remember most of what I have seen, so just throw some stuff out there and I'll google it.

Your wish is my command

Mawaru Penguindrum
Fate/Zero
Tatami Galaxy
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
FLCL
Mononoke
Arakawa Under The Bridge
Shigurui
Madoka Magica
Diebuster (needs prior watch of Gunbuster)
Serial Experiments Lain
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Kyousougiga
Mind Game

BosSin

Your wish is my command

Mawaru Penguindrum
Fate/Zero
Tatami Galaxy
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
FLCL
Mononoke
Arakawa Under The Bridge
Shigurui
Madoka Magica
Diebuster (needs prior watch of Gunbuster)
Serial Experiments Lain
The Tale of Princess Kaguya
Kyousougiga
Mind Game

hmm FLCL looks interesting.

I watched Lain not too long ago. Was not my cup of tea

Hi dudes I am going on holiday soon and am looking for an anime with a complete season or anime movies to download.

My Hero Academia
Fafner
Haikyu
Big Windup!
Hyouka
D.Gray-Man
Gundam Iron blooded Orphans
Gundam build fighters
Empire of Corpses
World Trigger

Ascheroth

Re zero 16

I thought that was pretty obvious.
His pride was hurt because he was majorly outplayed, taken for a fool, and shown how little worth he has.
It also didn't help that this was after talking to the other candidates, where nothing was going the way he wanted it to.

Cornbread78

Here is s list I gave a dude yest.:

Shounen:
Fullmetal Achemist:Brotherhood (64 episodes)

Sci-fi/mystery:
Steins;Gate (24 episodes)
Blast of Tempest (24 episodes) action here as well
Erased (12 episodes)

Drama/Romance/Comedy:
Clannad & Clannad After Story (46 episodes)
Your Lie in April (24 rpisodes)

Mecha, Romance, Drama
Eureka 7 (50 episodes)

Comedy, Action, Mystery, Drama:
Little Busters (39 episodes)

Comedy:
B Gata h Kei (12 episodes)
Sabagebu! (12 episodes)
D-Frag (12 episodes)

Sports, Drama, Romance
Cross Game (50 episodes)

Slice of Life
Barakamon (12 episodes)
Working! (3 season's/approx. 36 episodes)

Overall Re Zero reminds me a bit of Now and Then, Here and There, in that both have a 'shounen' protagonist that only knows how to shout, it's powerless and has a basic white/black morality that comes from the real world and falls into a darker fantasy world and it's in a situation that surpass him.

javac

Overall Re Zero reminds me a bit of Now and Then, Here and There, in that both have a 'shounen' protagonist that only knows how to shout, it's powerless and has a basic white/black morality that comes from the real world and falls into a darker fantasy world and it's in a situation that surpass him.

I watched Now and Then, Here and There all in one sitting many years ago, it was...an experience.

91 Days may not have the most visually stunning OP, but man do I love it. Just pure western mobster goodness.

Please don't go anime, I don't care if you stay a downer the whole time, just keep this shit up.

phaze

91 Days may not have the most visually stunning OP, but man do I love it. Just pure western mobster goodness.

Please don't go anime, I don't care if you stay a downer the whole time, just keep this shit up.

The guy with the beard and masochistic fetish is already anime as fuck.

Ed:Also TK's song makes the OP..

The guy with the beard and masochistic fetish is already anime as fuck.

yeah but he's the good kind of entertaining anime as fuck. The "wiggles his tongue around as he shoots a gun" kind.

What I don't need is a scene later on of a bunch of beautiful people with tiny hats staring at the city from a roof with evil smiles like "Muwahahaha we are going to own this city" while a loli is also the leader of mobsters and likes to make nyan sounds, then at the end the end boss is an Akira blob monster.

phaze

yeah but he's the good kind of entertaining anime as fuck. The "wiggles his tongue around as he shoots a gun" kind.

What I don't need is a scene later on of a bunch of beautiful people with tiny hats staring at the city from a roof with evil smiles like "Muwahahaha we are going to own this city" while a loli is also the leader of mobsters and likes to make nyan sounds, then at the end the end boss is an Akira blob monster.

Sounds like Tokyo Ghoul.

I think it's clear by now this is not a direction they're going for barring same Samurai Flamenco levels of switches.

Orange - 03

Damn so I guess
he committed suicide then...

I think she mostly wants to save his life, though the way she is pushing her younger self to get romantically involved with him is strange as it doesn't fit with how future-Naho's marriage is portrayed.

It could be this way unless she knew that even if he was around she would still get married to Suwa. I feel like, yes she is pushing herself to get romantically involved with him, but maybe sometime towards the Winter (remember we are still in May here) the other dude will do something that will make her fall for him or whatever. But yeah I kinda do hope that the show doesn't push her towards Kakeru, it would be pretty distasteful since she has a son with Suwa.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's pretty apparent that he represents an old way of thinking but that's not exactly surprising given his backstory. Given the time period it's not surprising for any leader to have a might makes right demeanor, and in a completely absolute sense at that. It's also fairly apparent that he is an extremely capable ruler and that alone does command respect, even if it's mostly the respect of soldiers and not common people.

I get that but that whole sequence just flat out ignores the fact that Adragoras lost at Antropane and spent however many months in captivity and his loss led to the capital falling. Meanwhile Arslan has been winning battles and making alliances already. Hell, his forces are just coming a big victory over the Turk analogs. Even if there is a public show of support the military divisions should be much more profound on this action. Also, we have nothing from the nobles who remember have been on the fence about supporting Arslan because he wants to abolish slavery but that is an entire subplot that seems to have been dropped. We do get a bit political supposition in the royal bloodline but not much is made of it. Hell, as somebody else said, they could have used this as an opportunity to have Arslan grow as a person outside his usual circle or have Narccuis and Daryun act as his own agents within the palace to influence policy or at the very least keep tabs on Andragoras. Basically, there is a lot they could have down with this new wrinkle and then used it to basically get back to the days of Arslan and his inner circle again and I have never liked that.

Mandelbo

Rezero 16

A much less intense episode than last, but I do appreciate the show taking all the chances it can to show how out of his depth Subaru is. He has no weight when it comes to bargaining, and even if he were to be more coy and bluff his way through the other candidates are likely experienced enough to see through him. The checkpoint's basically ensured that his relationship with more or less all of the candidates is going to stay fucked, too.
I doubt the whale killed him though - the ending feels too open to suggest that. Although, I'm not sure where he'd go from that point if it didn't kill him. If the whale has the power to completely wipe someone from existence, couldn't it technically be used against Betelgeuse or some other villain at a later point? The whale didn't seem immediately hostile towards Subaru, but it did kill that other merchant rider, so... I don't know basically xP

I'd completely forgotten that he still had his phone on him, though. Maybe he could try and pawn it off on one of the candidates if push comes to shove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom