• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

gargles

Re:Zero - 16

Even though I was starting to root for him, it felt good watching Subaru getting schooled by those three candidates. That was the obvious outcome of an impossible negotiation between an insane person with nothing to give and the remaining party. At least he learned something, judging by his plan (and if he dies again, he already knows how to deal with them). Not as impressive as last week's episode (which was tremendous) but still pretty good. White Fox still delivering.

Gvitor

ReZero 16

Welp, I didn't like princess with the cat kid helper. I didn't really think she learned anything relevant by talking/observing Subaru, and another tantrum by him wasn't necessary there.

The talk with the other princesses were great though. Both said some harsh truths right to his face and the pacing was nicely changed from last week's episode.

And that eye at the end, gods

Soma 03

I'm getting confused by manga/S1 events... but I'm pretty sure they didn't introduce Subaru (heh) in S1 (which felt really weird back then), so his encounter with Soma in this episode followed by the flashback felt forced. His scenes were good though. I didn't remember his comical side at all.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist ep.54
mqdefault.jpg

Damn, excellent episode from start to finish. I love the Armstrong clan! Annoying, yet AWESOME! I was so glad to see
Envy commiting Seppuku
so great to have that annoying pos gone for good now.

Anyone watching Kuromukuro ?

Just stumbled across in on Netflix. Seems solid so far.

I finished the eps they have on there and loved it. Just a warning, it's only half the first season so it has no ending. We're assuming they'll put up the next 13 when they finish airing(they're only on 15 or so now).

Jarmel

Banned
Voltron-1
huQriyc.jpg

Luckily for the Princess, they were already color coordinated.
So after reading some glowing impressions, decided to watch this. This was bad. This was really bad. I don't think this did a single thing well. The dialogue is cheesy as fuck and doesn't come across as either natural nor 'epic'. It's such trite children cartoon level stuff that I couldn't help but roll my eyes through chunks of it. "We have to believe in ourselves. We can't give up. We're the universe's only hope". You then have the overly comedic tone that pervades through almost all the scenes that comes across as forced and unfunny. Have the telepathic rats make you a sandwich? Really? That's the time when you make that joke? When you're castle is facing possible doom? It's like they were trying to emulate the comedy in Avatar: The Last Airbender and amped it up to 11. The villains are generic bad guys complete with darkness covering their telecommunications. Then you have the characters which I'm finding to all be either annoying, bland, or immature. Now I understand they're kids but that ties into a larger complaint I have about the worldbuilding/setting work. The setting itself is underdeveloped and just leaves me with questions, and not the good ones such as why is a kid at the beginning on this exploration mission to another planet? The intro is so half-assed that I was more angry at the characters for their stupidity than anything else. They don't show any hesitation about essentially being expelled from their academy, going up against their instructors, or fighting an alien invasion. The show tries to interject comedy so the audience isn't left pondering this stuff but it all comes across as artificial. Their reactions don't seem normal or realistic. None of the emotional beats, that they wanted to hit, resonated with me.
The art direction on occasion looks nice but it's counteracted by how cheap the animation looks. I'm not familiar with the studio who did the work but it reminds me of the bad Flash toons. The CGI battle at the end looked ok but I think I noticed a few points where it looked like the framerate was struggling. The best part about the show visually are the character designs but that's because I have a huge fondness/preference for the Avatar designs.
Anime has ruined me. I totally thought this was a girl.

Narag

Voltron-1

Show's really kinda iffy until the second half of ep 4, I think. Stops being dumb humor and more sci fi adventure That makes it a hard sell since episode 1 is triple length so it's like telling someone to give it until halfway through a show to get good. Also, having three wisecracking characters was overkill.. As for the truth of your spoiler comment,
lol anime sharpened your senses, it didn't ruin you

Shirobako 14

I guess this is Mizushima's revenge against idiotic producers he's had to listen to in casting meetings trying to hijack projects to exclusively push their company.

I'm sure that outsourcing to Studio Taitanic will cause absolutely no problems. They seem like an entirely reputable animation studio.

John Blade

Well...you found out more of Kotomi sad past and how she become as she was. Also, they is a connection between her and Tomoya as they met when they were young. A very sad story of how she lost her entire family from the plane crash and felt guilty for this incident. As a way to get her back to school and also not to move away to oversea, Tomoya is trying to have a birthday for her which is having a mix affect. At the end, I guess having a birthday might be a way to get her to realize they're people who is with her in this trouble time.

I guess this episode is okay. Nothing crazy to talk as you realize the reason of this issue and how the MC and his friends is trying to get Kotomi back. It's a nice to see this but wonder if she will stay then move away. Also, this also open a bit of Tomoya side as he somehow know her but for some reason he didn't remember. I am guessing her original birthday might be near to Tomoya mom death. Which might explain he never come. Still want to see where this will go from here.

Something I just realize, how Kotomi manage to live in her home even though her parent die already. Someone have to pay for the home and also for her food. Kinda weird she someone can survive for a while without any help from someone outside of the school.

Cornbread78

Fullmetsl Alchemist:B ep.55
tumblr_inline_mk1pd75apV1qz4rgp.gif

Hell yeah. Such a great intro and fight scene to kick-off a newfound bromance. It's unfortunate that tge celebration couldn't last though as the evil
wrath appeared back from the dead
and rip shit up.

ibyea

Banned
Planetarian: 2
It's okay, but it is not holding my interest. Dropped.

Pokemon XY: 1-2
*sigh*, I forgot how annoying and stale the Team Rocket routine was. Regardless, damn has Pokemon never been this good when it comes to animation. Also, I am glad it's not like Best Wishes where Ash starts out sucking.

John Blade

A very touching ending for Kotomi arch. The entire scene where she saw the briefcase her father carry with him to the trip came back and what she found inside is the teddy bear she ask for and a letter which her parent wrote for her. Just touching to see it end well and see Kotomi mature a bit after that day.

For Tomoya, you found out a bit more of the past between him and Kotomi. It now make sense from the flashback or how he know her and what happen after Kotomi start the fire and why he never came to the birthday.

A fun end of this arch and will see where it will go now after this.

Narag

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable 16

Finally got around to this. A bit sterile but the content was good enough. It sort of slots in with that outsourced ep people took issue with. Still, it was a good ep. 14 great eps & 2 merely good ones is quite the feat.

John Blade

Well...just pass the halfway mark already based on where I am now and have to say, the show is okay for the most part. I can see why people here say the 1st season is a foundation of the series which I see in the 1st half of the show. I guess the 1st few episodes (like 4-5) was a bit rough to follow as they're literally throw almost all the characters in this show out at once which is very hard to follow to the point you wonder if they is a better way to do this (which they is).

I guess keep sticking with it, you start to see the foundation slowly building up. You got to see more of the MC of Tomoya and Nagisa background start to developed. You notice this on Fuuko arch where you learn more about them and how they start to not only like as a friend but as someone who is willing to help. To the point you could say they're more than good friend in some scene.

You also, know a bit more of the other MC in the show which you also follow more in Kotomi arch. I guess the bonding for everyone start to get stronger and founding out more of Kotomi past and how she connect to Tomoya is interesting to see.

Still, it's still early for this show right now if I would recommend it. The show feel like the typical slice of life show which is push a bit more in the beginning. It still have this feeling a bit but they're not somewhat a story which push the plot of the show forward.

It's still a bit odd they're doing the arch episodic style which basically target more toward one of the characters. I guess I can't blame it as it's based on the game and the format they''re using is okay in the game. Just still a bit odd as development of some characters stall for the entire arch while other grow.

Animation is still great to watch. The background scene still look great to see. It look even better when they show the sunrise or set scene where they use the warm color quite well. Animation of characters still look fine for today. Also, the CG animation when use, look fine with the normal animation. You might notice it for some scene if you don't pay attention which is actually not bad.

For now, the show is still great and will continue watching it. I try not to follow the hype of the show but for now, it's fine for where I am. At least, it's much better than Grantz which still give me a bitter taste from my last watch show.

This Boy Suffers from Crystallization
CnnKS0cWIAAnVel.jpg

I loved everytime he said his/my crystal lol. Probably the least good of all of them but it had Aoi Shouta so that gives it tons of points in my book. I would have rather the relationship been with the classmate instead of Mr. Oni chan but it still turned out good. Sadly it meant there couldnt be any pleasing scenes.
why the kiss have to be off screen :(

Voltron-1

So after reading some glowing impressions, decided to watch this. This was bad. This was really bad. I don't think this did a single thing well. The dialogue is cheesy as fuck and doesn't come across as either natural nor 'epic'. It's such trite children cartoon level stuff that I couldn't help but roll my eyes through chunks of it. "We have to believe in ourselves. We can't give up. We're the universe's only hope". You then have the overly comedic tone that pervades through almost all the scenes that comes across as forced and unfunny. Have the telepathic rats make you a sandwich? Really? That's the time when you make that joke? When you're castle is facing possible doom? It's like they were trying to emulate the comedy in Avatar: The Last Airbender and amped it up to 11. The villains are generic bad guys complete with darkness covering their telecommunications. Then you have the characters which I'm finding to all be either annoying, bland, or immature. Now I understand they're kids but that ties into a larger complaint I have about the worldbuilding/setting work. The setting itself is underdeveloped and just leaves me with questions, and not the good ones such as why is a kid at the beginning on this exploration mission to another planet? The intro is so half-assed that I was more angry at the characters for their stupidity than anything else. They don't show any hesitation about essentially being expelled from their academy, going up against their instructors, or fighting an alien invasion. The show tries to interject comedy so the audience isn't left pondering this stuff but it all comes across as artificial. Their reactions don't seem normal or realistic. None of the emotional beats, that they wanted to hit, resonated with me.

The art direction on occasion looks nice but it's counteracted by how cheap the animation looks. I'm not familiar with the studio who did the work but it reminds me of the bad Flash toons. The CGI battle at the end looked ok but I think I noticed a few points where it looked like the framerate was struggling. The best part about the show visually are the character designs but that's because I have a huge fondness/preference for the Avatar designs.

As Narag said, once they leave the first planet, which is a few episodes in, it turns into a fun sci fi show. I'd say stick with it if you have nothing better to do, unless you absolutely hated it. The bad jokes are just a family trait carried over from Korra.

Just T

Amanchu: 2

Pretty good episode, I like the muppet faces Hikari makes lol and I thought the race in the beginning was humorous. I really like the art style of this show, that scene at the end looked pretty good.

Cornbread78

For now, the show is still great and will continue watching it. I try not to follow the hype of the show but for now, it's fine for where I am. At least, it's much better than Grantz which still give me a bitter taste from my last watch show.

It just gets better, then lookout once After Story hits.

Cyrano

I get that but that whole sequence just flat out ignores the fact that Adragoras lost at Antropane and spent however many months in captivity and his loss led to the capital falling. Meanwhile Arslan has been winning battles and making alliances already. Hell, his forces are just coming a big victory over the Turk analogs. Even if there is a public show of support the military divisions should be much more profound on this action. Also, we have nothing from the nobles who remember have been on the fence about supporting Arslan because he wants to abolish slavery but that is an entire subplot that seems to have been dropped. We do get a bit political supposition in the royal bloodline but not much is made of it. Hell, as somebody else said, they could have used this as an opportunity to have Arslan grow as a person outside his usual circle or have Narccuis and Daryun act as his own agents within the palace to influence policy or at the very least keep tabs on Andragoras. Basically, there is a lot they could have down with this new wrinkle and then used it to basically get back to the days of Arslan and his inner circle again and I have never liked that.
Yeah, but he also broke out on his own. I think there is some division with Kishward and at least the regular soldiers who still don't see Arslan as the warrior Andragoras very clearly is. They represent two very different approaches to rule.

I think Arslan has already had quite a stable of hardships and I'm not sure how it would see him grow in a way that wouldn't feel forced. It's clear he has a stable of allies that are loyal to him and seeing them grow alongside him is assuredly a better way to continue the story than introducing lots of new characters in medias res. Not to mention that adding a bunch of characters so deep in the story rather than continuing the story as it is just seems like so many shounen manga where the author clearly starts running out of ideas and is just throwing darts at the board.

McBryBry

So, after realizing Silver Spoon was written by the same person who made Fullmetal, I gave it a shot. Enjoyed it quite a bit! I liked the character relationships and that, while you do have two pretty central characters, everyone gets a fair amount of involvement in the show. Also liked that I actually got to see a relationship progress in an anime (A protagonist who admits to himself that he likes the girl? WHAT?!?)

Issue is, it ended on a cliffhanger pretty much. It also looks like the company isn't going to do a third season. Pissed.

watch the show...
  • It's not a hair clip, it's a tentacle.
Ahhh...
...you might like it
and touching her heart tentacle is treated similar as petting the fluffy tail where it's lewd or something.
week-in-review-channing-tatum-laughing-1.gif

I'll look into it.

EDIT:
Eight years after the events of Macross F, a mysterious phenomenon known as the Var Syndrome is gradually consuming the galaxy. It's up to a new generation of highly capable Valkyrie pilots to deal with this universal menace. And if they didn't have enough on their plate already, the Aerial Knights Valkyrie fighter team from the Kingdom of Wind have come to challenge the Delta Squadron.
Never watched Macross F or Macross anything. Welp.

Narag

So, after realizing Silver Spoon was written by the same person who made Fullmetal, I gave it a shot. Enjoyed it quite a bit! I liked the character relationships and that, while you do have two pretty central characters, everyone gets a fair amount of involvement in the show. Also liked that I actually got to see a relationship progress in an anime (A protagonist who admits to himself that he likes the girl? WHAT?!?)

Issue is, it ended on a cliffhanger pretty much. It also looks like the company isn't going to do a third season. Pissed.

I thought there wasn't enough material to adapt for a season 3 and Arakawa had put the manga on hold due to a family illness or some such.

I don't even recall when I stopped reading the manga but I remember their relationship doesn't ever get past the
"we like each other but let's not take it further"
shit.

kewlmyc

RE:Zero 16

Why do I feel Subaru is going to keep getting his ass kicked until like the last episode of the season? Anyway, they're now going up against an enemy that can will things out of existence. That's terrifying.

IIRC you don't really need to have watched any prior Macross show to enjoy Delta.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's one of those things where it references stuff from prior shows but it doesn't rely on viewer's knowledge of the series to enjoy the story.

Days 2

I don't feel like this is doing a good job of establishing its characters, unfortunately. Tsukamoto as a fresh-faced inexperienced athlete has a similar personality to Onoda in Yowamushi Pedal, but I don't have the same understanding of why he would be motivated to work hard at sports, especially since he happened to fall into soccer so randomly. His enthuasism was cute for an episode, but now it's just baffling. With so many other characters being thrown at us all at once, I don't get a good feel for them either, unlike the careful development Haikyuu did of its characters. That makes it hard for me to get invested in rooting for these people.

I think "cliffhanger" is an exaggeration. At any rate, there wasn't enough manga material to do a third season after the second. If you watch anime, you need to become accustomed to incomplete adaptations.

Ahhh...

week-in-review-channing-tatum-laughing-1.gif

I'll look into it.

EDIT:

ive barely watched any macross and remember jack shit, you don't need to watch previous shows. just know it mixes people singing with robots and this one specifically has idols whose music has superpowers and they have robot pilot bodyguards who fight other robots

IIRC you don't really need to have watched any prior Macross show to enjoy Delta.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it's one of those things where it references stuff from prior shows but it doesn't rely on viewer's knowledge of the series to enjoy the story.

This is accurate. You'll miss some references, but nothing important. Every Macross series tells a self-contained story.

Jarmel

Banned
If your girlfriend doesn't have a tentacle that reflects how horny she is, then I don't know what you're doing with your life.

Mailbox

So the crunchyroll app on my phone just gave me a notification telling me to watch Hybrid x Heart... It hasn't notified me about anything for quite a few seasons now, and now it notifies me about THIS?!

Get your shit together Crunchy!

Eila

Amanchu 01
I can already tell they're going to do a fantastic job adapting the manga. They did great with the character designs, music, animation in episode 1. Looking forward to them actually scuba diving.
If only Aria seasons 1 and 2 had as much budget as this one, but I guess it was only possible because of the popularity of that anime.

Days 3
download.png

He lets the ball go right past him.
Alright, I'm out. I decided to stick with this to see if it improved, but god, it's just excruciating. You see, Days barely feels like it's about soccer. No one in this show really talks about soccer. They don't talk about the fundamentals of the game, or how to improve at it. What it's really about is what soccer brings out of people, but in the most trite saccharine way imaginable. The main lead plays because he finds soccer fun, while humiliating himself in front of everyone. His team barely tolerates him, and I don't blame them. Yet at the same time, he's apparently a blast to play with? He display no talent, and only improves because of raw meaningless passion towards the end. As a viewer, you'd have to be crazy to think anyone could enjoy this, but the show wants that spin all that on its head, because he loves soccer that much. You can't just paint a smile on his face at the end, and expect viewers to buy he'd tolerate this type of treatment. You have to give us reasons. Real concrete reasons.

Jintor

EVO 2016 SFTop8

Big swerve having the apparent protagonist eliminated two rounds in but the R.Mika storyline was really fucking hype even with that ending. Thought the 14 year old getting to Loser's Finals was unbelievable but he did get stomped by the final boss so i guess it was okay

Days 3

Alright, I'm out. I decided to stick with this to see if it improved, but god, it's just excruciating. You see, Days barely feels like it's about soccer. No one in this show really talks about soccer. They don't talk about the fundamentals of the game, or how to improve at it. What it's really about is what soccer brings out of people, but in the most trite saccharine way imaginable. The main lead plays because he finds soccer fun, while humiliating himself in front of everyone. His team barely tolerates him, and I don't blame them. Yet at the same time, he's apparently a blast to play with? He display no talent, and only improves because of raw meaningless passion towards the end. As a viewer, you'd have to be crazy to think anyone could enjoy this, but the show wants that spin all that on its head, because he loves soccer that much. You can't just paint a smile on his face at the end, and expect viewers to buy he'd tolerate this type of treatment. You have to give us reasons. Real concrete reasons.
If they really want me to believe it's a soccer Anime, then the boys would be non stop talking about real Madrid vs Barcelona and like getting into fights.

EVO 2016 SFTop8

Big swerve having the apparent protagonist eliminated two rounds in but the R.Mika storyline was really fucking hype even with that ending. Thought the 14 year old getting to Loser's Finals was unbelievable but he did get stomped by the final boss so i guess it was okay

I wouldn't say he got stomped since he was incredibly close to taking that set

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom