• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
They added that sequence with the girls school, it actually happens later iirc, so it kind of drags the joke. I think that is generally my only complaint with the show, though it's minor. The show seems to have a slow pacing so far, but it's probably because they're still introducing the characters and building up Mob's personality. I'm confident they'll pick up the pace later.

I am not sure how much of that will disappear since we have a minimum amlunt of screen time to fill in a given episode.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Time for a weird request. Look at my avatar! Remember when AnimeGAF turned my innocent Ame phone strap avatar into Saya the Protector? Who wants to try doing it again, except with a Love Live Sunshine character?

Found the original:

n6X1dH5.jpg

This is what you wanted right.

5FJ8Q3K.png

Cyrano

Yeah, man. At that point, just ask Rem if you'd like to run away together, even if not, you have a massive bag of gold, and just peace out until the witch eventually hunts you down. However, if she's specifically targeting people with very specific character flaws as her Archbishops, then, Subaru can't run away cuz pride. His pride has been severely trampled recently.
Every time there's a new ep I feel like the goal is to make us hate the protag more. I'd say they're well past succeeding at this point.

pbayne

Super Dimension Fortress Macross (Or Love Live Top Gun…in Space!!!)

I’ll just compare this to Gundam for convenience sake.

+A real class act. It had everything. Great animation with some awesome sakuga moments. Memorable characters with unique designs and personality’s that receive plenty of development. An engaging plot that knows when to be light and when to take itself seriously. Tons of action and really well written banter between characters. Good interpersonal drama with mature characters. A non-aggravating love triangle. A catchy soundtrack. Visually stunning direction and very clever storyboarding ideas. Mature exploration of its themes without ramming it down your throat. And just the right amount of campy fun.
+Ack sure probably could sum all those up as: its fun to watch it.
+Id repeat that the dialogue in this really shines. It’s so funny. Characters that are mates like Hikaru and Focker, their banter feels genuinely like two mates taking the piss out of each other. Or Hikaru and Minmay flirting and gradually growing close, it all just feels very natural. The writing in general is very sharp all around and there’s not a lot of downtime, every scene feels important in forwarding the plot or characters.
+I was a bit taken aback by how old most of the characters are and how mature they actually act and interact (although that might be because im watching a lot of Gundam recently so maybe that’s why it was so apparent). As opposed to Gundam which is very melodramatic with people constantly shouting and hitting each other, Macross takes its drama very seriously and with an adult tone. Hikaru’s development throughout is fantastic. Comparing him from the start to the end is like night and day, such a great protagonist with a well written coming of age arc. And a great supporting cast too, especially my main man Focker, Global, Minmay and all the Bridge Bunnies.
I love how Hikaru’s design and demeanour starts to mirror Focker towards the end.
+The plot starts off quite light then shifts to very serious towards the middle and by the end it is Zeta Gundam levels of pessimism and “the horrors of war” and all that jazz. Its surprising because on paper the plot sounds super corny but in reality it deals with the effects of war better than a lot of Gundam shows do.
+And the action is really complex at times in terms of the amount of things happening on screen. It helps make all the dogfights feels very chaotic, frantic and epic in scale.
+Lol when you learn exactly what Protoculture and the effects that “culture” has on the aliens (Zentraedi) it’s really hilarious to see their reactions to “culture”. It’s very interesting thematically but I just adore the sense of humour they base around it.
+The Zentraedi are great antagonists in that they can simultaneously switch between a very threatening roles but a lot of the time they are used for comic reasons that are never not amusing. They also receive way more character development than I expected them too and end up becoming super intriguing characters in their own right.
+I know going forward the series doubles down on the idol stuff. In this it’s used sparingly. Like its important but it’s never the crux of the show. I have to admit im not a J-pop fan at all but I found the songs infectiously catchy and I did sing along with a few of them. (Lol they are a bit too literal about connecting to the plot at times though.) I’ll reserve judgement until I see the other series but I think this finds the perfect balance for the singing/idol angle, I don’t particularly want any more of it. Oh and I love the main Macross and battle themes, always got me hyped up.
+Spoiler for the end-The last 8 episodes are particularly brilliant in that
they are more or less an extended epilogue since the actual plot is done already. And they actually spend this time to explore some of the faults in the shows themes and ideologies of the characters. More shows should do this. Like we get to see that culture or forcing peace on others will not necessarily work and that war is a fundamental part of a lot of human history and culture.
+In terms of the love triangle, ill just say Hikaru made the right choice. And fuck Lynn Kaifun into the Sun.
+It obviously owes a lot to Gundam(and Yamato and Harlock which im not too familiar with) but jesus it’s hard to believe only two years separate this from the original Gundam when its ten times better on every level(though it doesn’t have Char).

-It seems mean to point out two episodes out of 36 but 11 and 25 have fucking serious production problems. I can only assume it was a timing issue or some other production snag because they stick out like a sore thumb. Lol in 11 you can see the individual frames of animation snap into one another…it’s so fucking jarring. It’s mostly disappointing because those are two pretty big plot episodes.
-Not really a negative but it’s a very high yardstick that will be very hard to top. Is it fair to compare future instalments to it: no probably not but I probably can’t help but do it.

So yeah more mecha mecha. Time to watch Quattro Bajeena Strikes Back.

Cornbread78

Taboo Tattoo ep. 3
Well, that was pretty damn violent. I hate the loli bad guy already and those closing scene were highly unneeded and annoying. With that being said, I like tge MC and at least he's not a douche to his favorite childhood friend.

Eumi

Sölf;210471645 said:
We Zero Time Dilemma now? I am still not sure if I should watch that without having played Ultra Despair Girls (even if I already know the sort of major twist in that game, but eh).

Look there's two scenarios. In one, you play UDG. In the other, you didn't.

I know which I'd prefer.

Also so far it's seems to be completely separate.

I want Animegaf to be a safe haven from Overwatch. :(

I thought Overwatch was anime.

Days 3
Dropped. Show doesn't do a whole lot for me, in fact the characters are pretty annoying mostly. Might come back to this show after the season is over to see if the official matches have any hype going for it but not holding my breath. Will add that its seems this show dialog/character motives/emotions don't really feel natural and its hard to really feel for the characters. Since the comedy and MCs struggles aren't hitting me only hope would be having amazing matches later in the show.

Cheer Bois 1-2
It's better than Days so far. Not sure how much I'll like this but will continue to watch. Glasses-kun is fun.

Battery 1
Pretty promising, relaxing episode. Seems like pretty different sports anime that I've watched before but might be in a good way.

Saiki 006-010
Continues to be funny and enjoyable.

Mob Psycho 100 2
Great episode, enjoyed OPM and will enjoy this too. Enjoyed the humor although I rarely laugh that much aloud when I watch OPM or this but overall they have fun, packed episodes.

Look there's two scenarios. In one, you play UDG. In the other, you didn't.

I know which I'd prefer.

Also so far it's seems to be completely separate.

OK so I finished D2 (I hate Hangman's Gambit) and am now looking at €40 for UDG as I missed the Big in Japan sale. Do ! wait until the next sale, avoid altogether or plonk down the cash?
Strongest recommendation I've gotten so far is that the two leads dialogue together is fun (for the first half) so I'm leaning to no but I'd like to hear what anyone else thinks.

Eumi

OK so I finished D2 (I hate Hangmans BS) and am now looking at €40 for UDG as I missed the Big in Japan sale. Do ! wait until the next sale, avoid altogether or plonk down the cash?
Strongest recommendation I've gotten so far is that the two leads dialogue together is fun (for the first half) so I'm leaning to no but I'd like to hear what anyone else thinks.

So I'm not even gonna lie, I watched a playthrough. My plan was to check it out to see if I wanted to play it, I didn't like what I saw and didn't buy it. When the new anime was announced I basically just watched important cutscenes to get the plot. So, since I never actually played it, feel free to completely disregard any opinion I have of it.

That said, the gameplay was panned pretty universally so I doubt there much fun to be had there. As for the story, whilst there are a lot of fun moments and naegis sister is great (it is still a Danganronpa game), it goes in a direction that I personally despise. It has basically none of what makes the games and thankfully this current anime series great. No real mystery, no real mistrust. It's just a straight good vs evil story in a thinly constructed world. Perhaps I missed out on something by not playing it for myself directly, and if I did others feel free to correct me, but as it stands I say definitely skip it. Maybe read spoilers in case it becomes relevant, but honestly I doubt it will.

So yeah, unless you have the money to put down for a bad but possibly important story, I'd avoid.

Squishy3

So I'm not even gonna lie, I watched a playthrough. My plan was to check it out to see if I wanted to play it, I didn't like what I saw and didn't buy it. When the new anime was announced I basically just watched important cutscenes to get the plot. So, since I never actually played it, feel free to completely disregard any opinion I have of it.

That said, the gameplay was panned pretty universally so I doubt there much fun to be had there. As for the story, whilst there are a lot of fun moments and naegis sister is great (it is still a Danganronpa game), it goes in a direction that I personally despise. It has basically none of what makes the games and thankfully this current anime series great. No real mystery, no real mistrust. It's just a straight good vs evil story in a thinly constructed world. Perhaps I missed out on something by not playing it for myself directly, and if I did others feel free to correct me, but as it stands I say definitely skip it. Maybe read spoilers in case it becomes relevant, but honestly I doubt it will.

So yeah, unless you have the money to put down for a bad but possibly important story, I'd avoid.
yeah ultra despair girls is complete garbage. uneven pacing, terrible gameplay, everything that happens at the end actually has no bearing on anything and is just stuff most people knew from DR2.

basically anything that isn't extended conversation between toko and makoto's sister is terrible

Jarmel

Banned
Taboo Tattoo-3

I have never seen an anime episode with as much camera rotation as this one. How did they storyboard this?

Ultra Despair Girls is fine. It's like a 6/10 tops, but not the total black sheep people make it out to be. The core strength of the game is the Toko/Komaru stuff which is pretty good but as a game it's just passable. It's a third person shooter on the Vita, and the game has interesting stuff there, just doesn't do a whole lot with it. But it's a Danganronpa game and that series manages to have bad gameplay during trial sections which is a fuckin achievement.

Story wise its far removed from the killing game setup of the first two. It's more an elaboration on multiple things.

- What were Toko and Hagakure doing after DR1
- What happened to the people kidnapped as incentives for the first killing game
- What's the Future Foundation's fight against the Remnants really look like (some people didn't want to see this get elaborated on and that's fine I guess)

I will say the villains had a lot of potential because they are children but the game doesn't go far enough with that. It goes to some dark places but most of the time ends up backpedaling/chickening out or making it a joke and doesn't go hard enough on how you would deal with children in a kill or be killed situation. The worst moment is by far involves Kotako and Komaru. Anyone who has played the game knows what I'm talking about. I want to know what the fuck they were thinking with that. otoh most of the scenes with Monoca are as fucked up as you would expect, especially that one with the blue haired kid. Monoca is like the only thing that will matter outside of UDG as a core thing in DR3, I'm willing to bet.

Still its mostly supplementary. You can skip it, but it isn't a bad game. The main theme fuckin owns tho

yeah ultra despair girls is complete garbage. uneven pacing, terrible gameplay, everything that happens at the end actually has no bearing on anything and is just stuff most people knew from DR2.

basically anything that isn't extended conversation between toko and makoto's sister is terrible

Gonna assume you are both talking about the Super Best Friends LP of the game which is probably the worst LP of all time and mostly involves skipping cutscenes then complaining about what was in the cutscene later.

ibyea

Banned
OK so I finished D2 (I hate Hangman's Gambit) and am now looking at €40 for UDG as I missed the Big in Japan sale. Do ! wait until the next sale, avoid altogether or plonk down the cash?

Honestly there is no need, and the game play for UDG is meh.

Kwixotik

Since Pokemon Go came out, my fiancée has been obsessed with pokemon. She didn't play or watch it when she was a kid because she was a Jehovahs Witness and wasn't allowed. Anyway we're watching Indigo League and she's playing Fire Red and it's been fun to reexperience for me.

Also recently finished a Serial Experiments Lain rewatch. It remains excellent.

Ultra Despair Girls is fine. It's like a 6/10 tops, but not the total black sheep people make it out to be. The core strength of the game is the Toko/Komaru stuff which is pretty good but as a game it's just passable. It's a third person shooter on the Vita, and the game has interesting stuff there, just doesn't do a whole lot with it. But it's a Danganronpa game and that series manages to have bad gameplay during trial sections which is a fuckin achievement.

Story wise its far removed from the killing game setup of the first two. It's more an elaboration on multiple things.

- What happened to the people kidnapped as incentives for the first killing game
- What's the Future Foundation's fight against the Remnants really look like (some people didn't want to see this get elaborated on and that's fine I guess)

I will say the villains had a lot of potential because they are children but the game doesn't go far enough with that. It goes to some dark places but most of the time ends up backpedaling/chickening out or making it a joke and doesn't go hard enough on how you would deal with children in a kill or be killed situation. The worst moment is by far involves Kotako and Komaru. Anyone who has played the game knows what I'm talking about. I want to know what the fuck they were thinking with that. otoh most of the scenes with Monoca are as fucked up as you would expect, especially that one with the blue haired kid. Monoca is like the only thing that will matter outside of UDG as a core thing in DR3, I'm willing to bet.

Still its mostly supplementary. You can skip it, but it isn't a bad game. The main theme fuckin owns tho
It's a shit game. It's a poor shooter, a poor puzzle game, and the writing isn't good either (outside of Toko I'd say it's outright bad). The antagonists in it are some of the worst you can find in fiction. It even controls poorly. It's just a real disappointment. Other than a couple of highlights it was a chore to play. It's not something I'd recommend to anyone but those fiending for more Danganronpa at any cost.

Eumi

Still its mostly Gonna assume you are both talking about the Super Best Friends LP of the game which is probably the worst LP of all time and mostly involves skipping cutscenes then complaining about what was in the cutscene later.

Oh yeah, if anyone decides to just watch an lp for the love of god don't watch the best friends do it. Like, I fucking loathe UDG and they still manage to make me kind of want to defend it.

So yeah, it's the only lp the game deserves.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
New Game! Episode 3:

Okay, if have lost my patience with this piece of shit, this is not comfortable or funny or anything really it is just a flat grey zone of boredom and indeed tedium and I am fed up with it all so it is dropped.

Every single time I hear somebody freak out over something in Danganronpa it only further increases my resolve to never go near that franchise as it'd probably destroy me.

That twist in Cold Steel was heartbreaking enough, I don't need that on a constant basis.

Squishy3

Gonna assume you are both talking about the Super Best Friends LP of the game which is probably the worst LP of all time and mostly involves skipping cutscenes then complaining about what was in the cutscene later.
i played the game and never watched that LP. it's a pretty bad game. like i said it's just insanely uneven, chapter pacing is all over the place and chapter 3 has the best pacing. but most everything after that's terrible.

Every single time I hear somebody freak out over something in Danganronpa it only further increases my resolve to never go near that franchise as it'd probably destroy me.

That twist in Cold Steel was heartbreaking enough, I don't need that on a constant basis.

Yes, it's better to stay away. It's too late for me for I must know how it ends, but I feel like the character-related despair versus the excitement of the plot results in a net negative.

Mob Psycho 100 Episode 2

I chuckled three or so times during this episode. That's more laughs than One Punch Man gave me. Maybe the reason OPM never clicked with me was because there's just too much self-loathing just under the veneer of that show. It clashes too much with the real general aim of the show, to make us laugh and entertain us. Mob Psycho 100 dodges that problem, at least, somewhat I think. It feels more wholly consistent, largely due to Mob being a much more immediately engaging character than Saitama. You get the sense that Mob really is just a confused dumb kid. (All the better, it does that without just telling us that. OPM basically tells the audience its about depression in the first episode.) That's not to say Mob Psycho is subtle to be sure, but it's something.

Grexeno

Danganronpa 3: The End of Hope's Peak Academy - Future Arc 02

Well I was wondering if they were going to go there and they sure did.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.56
Dude is slicing and ficibg through soldiers like a hot knife in butter. Dude is OP and needs to be nerfed immediately...

Great battle between
Wrath and Greed with gramps stepping up towards the end. "It was ypu the cut off my granddaughters arm!"
Oh snap, he's pissed..

Mob Psycho 100 2
I really want to like this show as so much about it is well made, but it's a comedy that's not funny and that's perhaps the most difficult thing to overcome. It's not a good feeling when you are watching jokes and you come away from them completely stonefaced time and time again. One Punch Man wasn't the funniest show (though it was better at it than this), but it also wasn't nearly as focused on gags. I'm not sure there's any point to watching Mob Psycho if you don't like its humor.

Maybe I'll give this one more episode, but probably not.

Gvitor

Orange 03

"Naho, can you wake me up at 5?" Isn't it enough to ask her to make you lunch everyday? Kakeru is a jerk. I know that's supposed to mean that he wants to keep in touch with Naho and get closer, but this is not how you do it, damn. I really dislike his character. The character future Naho writes about, the character that wrote the letter to put in the time capsule, that's a different character altogether than the one we see live through these moments.

The closest he's been to the future guys' vision of him is when he sat with Naho to talk about his dead mother. Every other scene is just him being unlikeable as it gets. I really feel for Suwa. Naho really didn't get over Kakeru after 10 fucking years to the point she remembers stuff by a daily basis when it comes to him, going as far as trying to change the past not really just to save him, but to be with him. I really hope this timeloops in itself and Kakeru keeps being dead.

And read the fucking letter all at once, Naho. Goddammit.

Inazuma 03

Continues to be an adorable show. Kept me wondering to the very end why she was so sad. Although his cooking skills aren't the greatest I can't help but feel for him, he really tries hard for his daughter.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.57
Fuck off... WTF, two more characters bite the dust at the same time and that ending with
Edward, Al and Izumi all being swallowed up as sacrifices! Ugghh, wtf you bastard, give the good guys back!

One thing I did notice about that closing scene is:
Edward, Al and Izumi have also all seen "the truth" and have tried to transmutate in the past. There were 5 buildings though, so who were the other 2 people taken as a sacrifice?

These past few episodes have been just pure high octane, action packed craziness.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. Episode 12 Second Encounter (on TV)! Uryoku Chouno

CnsMBlcWgAACzlp.jpg:small

Ive read all this but still I agree with Saiki Kusuo.The whole episode was my fav also in the manga from how intense this trick was. The ending thing makes it so good too

kewlmyc

Danganronpa 3: Future 02

Well this got a whole lot more interesting. Truly no one is safe now.

Fucking sucks that after everything Aoi went through in DR1, she gets killed off almost immediately in DR3. That just freaking sucks. Goddammit.

JulianImp

Overwatch was fun for me. For a week or two, but that was it.

Same here. All those articles claiming that it was revolutionizing the FPS genre made me laugh since it mostly was like taking Team Fortress 2, splitting each class into even more specialized sub-classes and then adopting MOBA-style cooldowns for combat abilities.

Then I went back to TF2 earlier today and realized that they hadn't actually added more than one or two new weapons per class since I had stopped playing the game about four years ago, opting to add even more visual clutter from hats and accessories instead (I saw a couple characters with a raven flying around them, and even a miniature ghost ship for crying out loud).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom