• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgminto

Btw, I got a PM yesterday from someone with a Mei too. I'm not sure if he's shy about posting it on the thread, but I think it's pretty cute! (Pls take credit if you want to!)

yYmJ9ou.png
A-Mei-zing!

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Danganronpa 3 future ep.2
Well, fuck. You sure is a super high school level luck Naegi.
Suspect:
Chisa (ultimate housekeeper, yes, she died, but i have some suspicion...), The programmer girl (to be exact, someone could manipulate her chair to do stuff)
The forbidden action could potentially hint the suspect too. So yeah, at least this time the rule is far more interesting.

I have a question about the Danganronpa anime/games. I have only completed Danganronpa 1, and most likely half way through Danganronpa 2. Without spoiling anything to me, is the Danganronpa 3 anime a prequel to the 3rd game, or is it a pretty much an anime version of the 3rd game?

Thanks!

Same boat as myself until recently, I powered through the game (in truth from Trial #3 it picks up considerably but still fuck Hangman's Gambit) and yeah you need to see the end if anything about this new series is to make any sense. I haven't watched either DR3 yet but the revelations about the world state from the end of DR2 mean I know I'd likely have been utterly lost if I'd gone in cold.

You can ignore Ultra Despair Girls though, I asked 3 pages ago and the uniform consensus is it is mediocre at best and is actively loathed by a number of posters here. Still when it's cheap I'll probably pick it up just for the back and forth between the leads which is universally regarded as the only truly worthwhile thing in the game.

Cheers for the advice on UDG Eumi, Squishy3, MetroidPrimeRib, ibyea and Basileus777!

Thoraxes

UDG was good. It'll likely have some story importance in the anime too.

Though play it on a VitaTV if you have the chance. The Vita controls just felt like garbage to me. It played much better with a PS4 controller. I played the whole thing in one sitting.

Just T

Mob Psycho 100: 2

Pretty much feel the same way about it as the first episode. Didn't find all of it funny but the animation in this is really great.

Taboo Tattoo: 3

Now this was weird. That opening scene, the camera work throughout the episode, the random subtitled cat and the after credit scene. Wtf to all of it.

Defuser

Taboo Tattoo ep 3

*1 min in,evil girl force a kiss on a loli and grope her butt.*
Why? Can't there be other way established she is evil instead of sexual exploit?

wtftwp81.gif

Wtf is this shot all about? Why is it so bad? Why is the camera wobbling at the last part when it supposed to be static or zoomed in? Why was it put in middle of the underground training scene and not before it to least make a coherent shot?

Russ T

Banned
I finished The Lost Village last night.

Man, that was easily my biggest surprise of the season. It... was actually good?? I went in expecting a stupid if entertaining horror where everyone died that I could laugh at.

And it was nothing like that. Although it was pretty funny! Very subtly so, and definitely not the laugh out loud kind of funny. The show did an amazing job of setting up very stereotypical scenarios so that you expect something to happen, and then... not doing those things, basically ever.

And all that buried beneath the guise of a show about dealing with past traumatic experiences.

(Turns out I'm not the only one who felt this way.)

People like good things!

Yeah, but Lost Village felt especially uninspired, as if Tsutomu Mizushima had gotten bored shortly into making it and ended up just shitting out whatever. Visually it's quite drab and ugly aside from the dream sequence in the first episode, the dialogue is amusing in the first episode and then just gets more and more dull, and Mizushima's brand of black humor being thrown around to target arrogant workoholics and child abuse victims indiscriminately was beyond the bounds of good taste. As far as Mizushima works go, it's not even as interesting as Another.

Qurupeke

I finished The Lost Village last night.

Man, that was easily my biggest surprise of the season. It... was actually good?? I went in expecting a stupid if entertaining horror where everyone died that I could laugh at.

And it was nothing like that. Although it was pretty funny! Very subtly so, and definitely not the laugh out loud kind of funny. The show did an amazing job of setting up very stereotypical scenarios so that you expect something to happen, and then... not doing those things, basically ever.

And all that buried beneath the guise of a show about dealing with past traumatic experiences.

(Turns out I'm not the only one who felt this way.)

It turned out to be bad and bland, what a twist. I was very excited for it, but it failed both as a mystery, which it never tried to be anyway, and as a comedy. It felt promising at the start, that it would deliver as a dark comedy. I really don't like that they subverted the viewers' expectations like that and it ended up as a completely uninteresting anime.

I think you could make a case for the show if it had something else going for it, but it didn't, it was trash.

Russ T

Banned
I made my argument and it was dismissed as if I was an idiot! Twice!

I know no one called me an idiot. But neither did I call anyone an idiot.

Qurupeke

"I don't like what it was trying to do, so it was bad."

Hmmm. Compelling argument.

Well, the show's atmosphere was the only reason I kept watching. I mean, it's fine if you liked what the show turned into, I won't judge you for that, but if someone like me doesn't exactly appreciate it then what's left to enjoy? The plot? Compelling characters? Good drama? Nice visuals? It's just a bad show that plays with our expectations.

Just T

Yeah The Lost Village was some horrible shit, the only thing it had going for it was the unintentional(?) comedy which fizzled out fast so all it had left was a mystery that failed to get me interested and a horrible cast.

With that said I'm still not sure if it or Big Order was the worst thing I watched last season. That itself is a much more worthwhile mystery. To each his own though.

Russ T

Banned
Well, the show's atmosphere was the only reason I kept watching. I mean, it's fine if you liked what the show turned into, I won't judge you for that, but if someone like me doesn't exactly appreciate it then what's left to enjoy? The plot? Compelling characters? Good drama? Nice visuals? It's just a bad show that plays with our expectations.

Hah, I think the show's atmosphere was complete garbage, broken (intentionally!) time and time again by said broken expectations.

I mean, the whole point IS that it was "bad", but it was saved because it plays with expectations. It turned the bad into good.

Servamp Episode 3
CnvNBTPWYAAzSwI.jpg:small

Powerful friendship episode all around, extremely emotional for an episode three even.

Mahiru losing himself at the end there is really tragic, I hope he doesnt go too far

I made my argument and it was dismissed as if I was an idiot! Twice!

I know no one called me an idiot. But neither did I call anyone an idiot.

That was certainly not what I was intending to do, which is why I went into a detailed description of why I found Lost Village unsatisfying, which you causally thrust aside with a frivolous comment. Which is fine; you don't want to engage in a serious discussion about the merits of the show; sure, there's no requirement to do so. But then repeatedly making short, dismissive comments about people's criticisms comes across as being deliberately obnoxious and insulting towards those who stated a position you didn't agree with. Perhaps that was not your intent, but that's how it came across to me.

Perhaps it's my fault for expecting that reasonable discussion on the Internet is possible, in which case I apologize.

Cornbread78

With that said I'm still not sure if it or Big Order was the worst thing I watched last season. That itself is a much more worthwhile mystery. To each his own though.

Oh please, Big Order wins that hands down. At least LV didn't have disgusting crap going on with minors to close out the series, with a complete nonsense story; LV just plain sucked with it's lack of a coherent story and bait and switch approach, but at least in an unoffensive way...

Ascheroth

Active Raid 2nd #2

Intense episode, wow.
Also tackled several very interesting topics like memory implantation and Emilias trauma (
can only imagine what kind of dread one has to feel when being trapped inside a powersuit without power for 3 whole days, not being able to move, see, eat, etc and not even knowing when and if help will come. wow.
)

And also there are now Enhancement Units. Gattai, fuck yes.

Wonder what lasting effects this will have on Kuroki :/

Russ T

Banned
That was certainly not what I was intending to do, which is why I went into a detailed description of why I found Lost Village unsatisfying, which you causally thrust aside with a frivolous comment. Which is fine; you don't want to engage in a serious discussion about the merits of the show; sure, there's no requirement to do so. But then repeatedly making short, dismissive comments about people's criticisms comes across as being deliberately obnoxious and insulting towards those who stated a position you didn't agree with. Perhaps that was not your intent, but that's how it came across to me.

Perhaps it's my fault for expecting that reasonable discussion on the Internet is possible, in which case I apologize.

I mean... You're right. I'm sorry. Sorry to you, too, Qurupeke. It's just that when the first response to my post basically amounts to "it makes no sense that anyone would like this", it puts me on the defensive from the getgo. That's not an excuse, just an explanation of where I was coming from.

I did not come into this intending to convince anyone of anything. I was just sharing my opinion. I think it's good. I definitely don't think it's great. The animation and art are uninspired at best. The music is, well, I don't remember it at all. The dialogue is mostly straightforward, but also mostly insipid. When it succeeds is when it's essentially breaking the fourth wall. Not every story has to be about... the story. Sometimes a work exists precisely to mock itself. In this, The Lost Village succeeds.

It's fine that other people don't like it. Literally nothing is enjoyed by everybody. There will always be people who think your favorite anime is shit. (This is not my favorite anime! It's just the biggest surprise from last season.)

Although, ironically (not actually ironically), it's fun to see that the reasons everyone hates it are the exact reasons it's actually secretly worth existing.

Just T

Oh please, Big Order wins that hands down. At least LV didn't have disgusting crap going on with minors to close out the series, with a complete nonsense story; LV just plain sucked with it's lack of a coherent story and bait and switch approach, but at least in an unoffensive way...

True but my hatred for both is pretty close just for very different reasons.

Since I'm on a blackout for this game, is this an anime adaptation of the game or something else like a prequel?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm under the impression that this is a prequel based off of where you start in the game, and this trailer.

Aki-at

Kumorokumo - 2

Well I'm surprised how much I'm liking this series. There were some good shots in the episode that left the kaiju fan in me happy (I'll admit just distance shot of a monster is enough to get me hyperventilating) as the military tried gunning down the ogre/mecha. Though I'm not much of a fan of 3d animation I still enjoyed the battle scenes, considering this my biggest surprise of last season.

It's funny how watching this episode I was hoping we'd get some more giant monster action and the new Godzilla trailer dropped.

Line_HTX

still haven't seen the last episode of Lost Village

I still have yet to watch the finale of multiple shows from past seasons, lol

On a side note, there was a Gundam EXVS side tournament at EVO and the one and only Ueda Kana took part and her team got 3rd place! I don't watch much of Gundam so I don't know who she voices.

Ascheroth

I watched 7 episodes of Mayoiga and found them entertaining. The first 6 at least, not sure about 7.
Though I also have no real interest in watching the rest.

I mean... You're right. I'm sorry. Sorry to you, too, Qurupeke. It's just that when the first response to my post basically amounts to "it makes no sense that anyone would like this", it puts me on the defensive from the getgo. That's not an excuse, just an explanation of where I was coming from.

I did not come into this intending to convince anyone of anything. I was just sharing my opinion. I think it's good. I definitely don't think it's great. The animation and art are uninspired at best. The music is, well, I don't remember it at all. The dialogue is mostly straightforward, but also mostly insipid. When it succeeds is when it's essentially breaking the fourth wall. Not every story has to be about... the story. Sometimes a work exists precisely to mock itself. In this, The Lost Village succeeds.

It's fine that other people don't like it. Literally nothing is enjoyed by everybody. There will always be people who think your favorite anime is shit. (This is not my favorite anime! It's just the biggest surprise from last season.)

Although, ironically (not actually ironically), it's fun to see that the reasons everyone hates it are the exact reasons it's actually secretly worth existing.

Thank you. That's a sensible response and I respect you for writing it.

I certainly don't think every work has to be about the story, and I'm not even entirely adverse to self-depreciating works, such as Gintama's continual explicit mockery of itself, which perhaps reached its peak in the popularity poll arc. But what continues to baffle me about some people's response to Lost Village is that I don't think it did any of that well. Perhaps part of that is that I'm not big into the "so bad it's good" mode of viewing these days, but even considering "so bad it's good" works Lost Village is so tame and tepid. When you've seen Garzey's Wing, your standards for nonsensical anime are pretty high. I'm currently watching Shirobako, a previous Mizushima show, and Lost Village has none of the creative energy Mizushima put into Shirobako or the fictional director Kinoshita put into Exodus. Where is my cowboy leading ten thousand horses who sprout wings with jet engines? Watching Lost Village makes me feel like the show is trying to create the same feelings of apathy in me the viewer that the characters developed towards the end of the story. So it baffles me how anyone can have a reaction more positive than passive, bland acceptance towards the show.

I was actually looking forward to the show because I somewhat enjoyed Blood-C and Another - and I don't inherently mind that it didn't deliver another kill-em-all fest, but it didn't actually deliver anything interesting in its place either. Even judging it purely as a comedy, well, when you're stuffing 30+ characters into every episode there's no room for any of them to be more than one-note gimmicks, which becomes tiresome.

John Blade

Another episode and more relationship building between Tomoya and Nagisa. Got to see more of them working together alone. You got to see how much have chance between them (you see a lot from Nagisa side as she have change quite a lot). Another big issue with the drama club which force Nagisa to bend over a bit for the other club when you found out a bit more of the reason their need the teacher. Guess it's one weakness Nagisa have which make sense. Still, it's nice she willing to let the other club to get the teacher to help them for the incident.

You found out a bit more of Youhei and his past of why he never go far in his soccer team club. Kinda a silly reason but make sense based on his personality. Unfortunately, this take it up a bit too much after he have a reading of his luck which make him do weird stuff.

Some more other characters is in this episode which doesn't add too much for now but might be something to look at later like Tomoyo getting force to join a club. Also, Fuuko come back for a quick shot which is now a side thing which is interesting to watch as it's very random.

Overall, nothing too crazy to say but got to see where this new arch will go. I am guessing it might be either target at Youhei or maybe more to Nagisa as she have basically decline her club to form. Also, we got to see a quick intro with Youhei little sister, Mei.

Russ T

Banned
Thank you. That's a sensible response and I respect you for writing it.

I certainly don't think every work has to be about the story, and I'm not even entirely adverse to self-depreciating works, such as Gintama's continual explicit mockery of itself, which perhaps reached its peak in the popularity poll arc. But what continues to baffle me about some people's response to Lost Village is that I don't think it did any of that well. Perhaps part of that is that I'm not big into the "so bad it's good" mode of viewing these days, but even considering "so bad it's good" works Lost Village is so tame and tepid. When you've seen Garzey's Wing, your standards for nonsensical anime are pretty high. I'm currently watching Shirobako, a previous Mizushima show, and Lost Village has none of the creative energy Mizushima put into Shirobako or the fictional director Kinoshita put into Exodus. Where is my cowboy leading ten thousand horses who sprout wings with jet engines? Watching Lost Village makes me feel like the show is trying to create the same feelings of apathy in me the viewer that the characters developed towards the end of the story. So it baffles me how anyone can have a reaction more positive than passive, bland acceptance towards the show.

I was actually looking forward to the show because I somewhat enjoyed Blood-C and Another - and I don't inherently mind that it didn't deliver another kill-em-all fest, but it didn't actually deliver anything interesting in its place either. Even judging it purely as a comedy, well, when you're stuffing 30+ characters into every episode there's no room for any of them to be more than one-note gimmicks, which becomes tiresome.

Yeah, Gintama's method of self-deprecation is definitely more on the nose. I think Lost Village takes a different approach by not making it as obvious. I mean, maybe that's a mark against it for some, but for me it's just different.

For what it's worth, I wouldn't put Lost Village in the "so bad it's good" bucket. I think it's easy to do that, but I also think it deserves more credit than that. It's intentionally bad, in a way that serves the overall punchline. Which, hey, that obviously doesn't work for some people, but it's different from, say, The Room (I think that's the name of that terrible movie that everyone loved because it was so terrible?). It's got more in common with Syfy's B-tier TV movies, but on a much more subtle level. Although still with a layer of ridiculously stupid one-note characters (as you point out). Which... is just another piece of the bigger picture.

Basically, it's the "bad" and "bland" that makes it surprisingly interesting. Setting up the show in a stereotypical way that makes you expect a dumb kill-'em-all horror show and then pulling back on that is just one of many instances of the show subverting expectations.

(And honestly now I've defended the show with far more energy than I think it's worth expending, haha.)

I loved Shirobako a lot!

And I guess I should watch Garzey's Wing!

blurr

ReLIFE 10

Ah yes, a friendship episode. As expected it brought Kariu and Honoka's story to a conclusion and it was pretty good. While the drama may start off on a silly/less than compelling footing, the character motivations and their reasons are quite convincing and thankfully do not divert from being a character driven story till the end. I am honestly surprised at how good this show has been.

Visually it feels lack luster but I have to give props to the BGM, it is homely and very relaxing, goes well with the drama and other events of the show.

I still haven't finished it of course but I just want to make clear that I'm really impressed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom