• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Mob Psycho 100 2
x8UM3btl.jpg

I think I can empathize with Basileus777 as the humor's kinda loud and not doing much for me either. Visual direction and Mob's internalizing of stress is more than enough to keep me going though.

I didn't even take Mob as a legit comedy like you guys are, no idea whether that is a failing on my part or theirs. To me it just seems like a show about a very aloof dude and his misadventures with bad spirits. There is the occasional funny bit, but the show just doesn't seem like a comedy to me.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.58
CANxcCY.jpg

No, no, no, no, Don't do it Mustang!!! He's going to kill her anyway dammit. This was a super rough and just brutal episode to watch. This new bad guy is a complete jackass and I want to kill him myself. My big question is, why isn't Scar using his alchemy to help? They shouldn't be able to block his eastern style!? Uggh.

So the 5 human sacrifices are now all accounted for as we have found out.

Mob Psycho 102 Dalmatians

The humor isn't all there but it's no different than One Punch Man in that regard, but I guess the difference that where Saitama's goofy face was in direct contrast to everyone else in here people making goofy simplistic faces it's the norm so it loses that regard.

Still, the show continues to be visually gorgeous even if I'm not crazy about the comedy or the writing so far. It isn't necessarily badlly written or boring, it's just unfortunately in an oversaturated market of "relatively bland kid is actually fairly strong or the strongest around".

The show has been doing a good job of keeping away from the school stuff so far though, as I hope the plot won't revolve around Mob trying to make friends or win the girl. The best thing it can do is to keep with the exorcism and spirits stuff and keep everything else to a minimum.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
So I was reading the Mob Psycho 100 manga and it referenced the frog in the well. The proverb goes: "A frog in a well cannot conceive of the ocean."

It's an idiom about perspective and ignorance of the world.

It reminded me of how, in Uchouten Kazoku, one of the brother transformed himself into a frog and lived in a well. I thought it was just idle fancy at the time but now I'm pretty sure it's a direct reference to this fable. The brother chooses self-exile to avoid his guilt (symbolized by the ocean). Over time he eventually forgets how to transform himself back (becoming the ignorant frog of the fable).

This is not a profound revelation or anything since the text made his motivations evident but it's nice to have those scenes recontextualized.

Narag

[C] is not FMA Brohood.

why do people keep hotlinking randomc.,

People never learn.

So I was reading the Mob Psycho 100 manga and it referenced the frog in the well. The proverb goes: "A frog in a well cannot conceive of the ocean."

It reminded me of how, in Uchouten Kazoku, one of the brother transformed himself into a frog and lived in a well. I thought it was just idle fancy at the time but now I'm pretty sure it's a direct reference to this fable. The brother chooses self-exile to avoid his guilt (symbolized by the ocean). Over time he eventually forgets how to transform himself back (becoming the ignorant frog of the fable).

This is not a profound revelation or anything since the text made his motivations evident but it's nice to have those scenes recontextualized.

Good catch.

Oh shit. I thought his situation was just a odd but otherwise meaningless detail.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Also, this is stretching the metaphor a bit but the little brother helps frog-bro regain his transformation ability by dumping a whole bottle's worth of brandy into his mouth. In light of the above, this moment can be viewed as an allegory for temporarily drinking your troubles away. Temporary because, as we see, he's still a frog at the end of the show.

Some pretty dark humor there if so.

Cornbread78

Endride ep.15
XEKBK5v.jpg

Well, that was actually a pretty good episode full of action and unexpected new alliances. The show's story is actually moving in the direction I hoped it would after the events of the first cour.

[C] is not FMA Brohood.

why do people keep hotlinking randomc.,

I'm not sure what you mean, but I changed the image..

Macross Δ 16

Macross is truly the only series where the best girl/guy always wins. Good episode though, and at this point I'm fairly comfortable saying that this is better than the Frontier TV series.

Quasar

Macross Δ 16

Macross is truly the only series where the best girl/guy always wins. Good episode though, and at this point I'm fairly comfortable saying that this is better than the Frontier TV series.

I'm fairly certainly I'd say the reverse, but then I'm watching it in spite of Freya. have yet to watch 16 though.

Vardhan

I have a question about the Danganronpa anime/games. I have only completed Danganronpa 1, and most likely half way through Danganronpa 2. Without spoiling anything to me, is the Danganronpa 3 anime a prequel to the 3rd game, or is it a pretty much an anime version of the 3rd game?

Thanks!

I have a question about the Danganronpa anime/games. I have only completed Danganronpa 1, and most likely half way through Danganronpa 2. Without spoiling anything to me, is the Danganronpa 3 anime a prequel to the 3rd game, or is it a pretty much an anime version of the 3rd game?

Thanks!

It's both a prequel to the 2nd game and a sequel to it. Either way, it's not something you should watch until after Danganronpa 2. It's not an adaptation of any sort and it's not related to the 3rd Danganronpa game that is in development.

Just completed Sukitte Ii na yo. and it made me real happy.
Happy endings
for the win.
Megumi is pure evil. Did not care one bit about her, even her shitty past.

Sweetness and Lightning Episode 3

This felt like a step down from the first two episodes. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoyed it, but the story has got to get moving. I wanna see the other parents/students.

Taboo Tattoo 3

Terrible.

Just terrible.

Qvoth

haven't watched mob psycho episode 2,but as a manga reader, i'd say mob pyscho is more of a generic shounen compared to one punch man

watched arslan season 1 episode 1-6 last night, even though i already read the manga chapters
good show :3

Macross Delta 16

I STILL LOVE YOU MIRAGE! FUCK YOU KAWAMORI WHY DO YOU LOVE TO RUIN MY LIFE!?

As you should since Mirage still lose everything in the show so far.
Lose the triangle, no personal development, still no sign for being a good plot(because they don't write her), all i see is staff keep bullying her.

Mailbox

Time for a weird request. Look at my avatar! Remember when AnimeGAF turned my innocent Ame phone strap avatar into Saya the Protector? Who wants to try doing it again, except with an Overwatch character?

Found the original:

n6X1dH5.jpg

as promised:

jg32NxX.png
7uJKfHO.png

Edit: just realized i didn't colour the tail >.<

edit2: Here we go:

OJjBOgk.png

Thoraxes

Macross Delta 16

I STILL LOVE YOU MIRAGE! FUCK YOU KAWAMORI WHY DO YOU LOVE TO RUIN MY LIFE!?

First Nisekoi, now Macross.

You just can't catch a break man, while i'm finally having my first winning-streak ever.

IT FEELS SO GOOD TO BE ON ALL THESE WINNING TEAMS FINALLY.

ZiJ7Dgg.png

Mailbox

I'm starting to feel like making the avatar from (with the exception of the headset and the studs on the torso) scratch was a waste of a couple of hours...

anywho... Prince of Stride is so god damn boring that I started casually watching something else in the meantime. Hyakko. Its surprisingly fun tbh.

duckroll

Btw, I got a PM yesterday from someone with a Mei too. I'm not sure if he's shy about posting it on the thread, but I think it's pretty cute! (Pls take credit if you want to!)

yYmJ9ou.png

Danganronpa Despair 01

Thankful for this episode. I don't remember the cast at all.

Danganronpa Future 02

The killer is dumb.
By killing Asahina they're taking the heat off Naegi. Do any of them think he would kill her off if he was the traitor?
End was all shock value.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I'm confused. I don't recognise any of these Love Live Sunshine Ame edits. Maybe they're from the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom