• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
SHAFT is still pioneering as always.
tZBhpQr.png

someone called me?

jgminto

People like good things!
I probably wouldn't consider the majority of Mayoiga good, the scenes of the cast interacting was compelling and elements of the horror imagery were done well but the overall story fell completely flat and many of the scenes not focused on the group interacting had poor pacing and led to boredom.

ReLIFE 8-10

I saw that some people were not fond of this volleyball arc, which I can understand since it focuses on side characters being cruel to each other, but I liked it. That's mostly because I could sympathize with both Tamarai, for feeling ostracized for being too skilled at something, and Kariu, for taking out my own self-loathing by lashing out at others. Speaking of, there's some people I should apologize to for that, including some people who are still around in this thread, so I will take the opportunity now to apologize for any unjust attacks I may have made against you in the past.

Aki-at

Honestly I can't remember many episodes outside of the afterlife one. I think the consistency stopped from receiving "modern classic" praise like a Ping Pong. When it went all in on comedy, it flopped.

That episode hit me hard.

But I really do love how zany and over the top the finale was with the surfing hawaiin shirted ship or the mecha statue of liberty and just about everything. That was one way to end a show and the craziness resonated with me.

Maybe the reason why me and other people love it is because the dub brings out what these characters are supposed to be while on their adventure, and more so on the Planet Limbo episode. The fact that it aired on Toonami before the JP broadcast was what audience it was made for.

I'm still sad it wasn't regarded as high as it should.

i prefer the dub too

I wouldn't get lonely nights
https://youtu.be/hwJe5-q6_S4?t=49

Honestly I can't remember many episodes outside of the afterlife one. I think the consistency stopped from receiving "modern classic" praise like a Ping Pong. When it went all in on comedy, it flopped.

Space Dandy had some outstanding episodes, but I found the majority of the series incredibly forgettable. It simply didn't have the consistency to be a classic.

Ravel's Pavane for a Dead Princess was such a perfect choice, both atmospherically and thematically appropriate. Even though the show won't likely be anything like this episode, I'm glad Nakura will be heavily involved with the March Comes in Like a Lion anime.

Is there a chance this is just a one off episode, or is this a steadily sinking ship?

I think this episode of Cheer Boys was outsourced, so it might end up being below average in animation quality for the show. But overall it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of animation resources going into the series.

Moaradin

Most Space Dandy episodes were pretty great. Even the worst ones had some redeemable aspects. And yeah, the dub elevates the entire thing. Definitely the way to watch that show.

I think this episode of Cheer Boys was outsourced, so it might end up being below average in animation quality for the show. But overall it doesn't seem like there's a whole lot of animation resources going into the series.

This episode was a new low, but yeah, the show has never been good on the production front (or any front really).

Battery is our last hope for a decent sports show this season.

Is it space dandy appreciation time? Loved that anime and the dub was great too!

Too bad we never got to see Adelie again,
also the limbo was one of my all time favorite episodes. And the whole 4th dimension episode was super cool and explained why dandy hated warping from the very first episode, because it changes who he is on a 4th dimensional level.

0ba6713c4200776b6c27fae5c5bd584b.jpg

jgminto

Aside from the best episodes, I remember most of Space Dandy as animation cuts rather than complete episodes. You have the cut of the zombies attacking the soldiers or the cut of the two gigantic robots fighting or the high detail shots of metalwork equipment or that fantastic Shinya cut. I think the staff not experimenting as much with their storytelling techniques didn't help with that. Space Dandy was a rare show that allowed animators to go wild but when those brilliant sequences are surrounded by an uninspired framework, it makes those story elements much more forgettable. It's like a fantastic bouquet of flowers in a plain white vase, it just fades into the background.

Dead

well not really...yet

Of the many original projects that Bones has created: RahXephon, Concrete Revolutio, Wolf's Rain, so many, which one do you feel most strongly attached to?

If you can count my days at Sunrise, I'd have to say Cowboy Bebop. If it's limited to TV series in the Bones era, it'd have to be Eureka Seven. Did you see Sword of the Stranger? What did you think of the film? Because I wanted to create something with all the sword fighting that wasn't present during that time period.
Minami knows what's up :bow

Aside from the best episodes, I remember most of Space Dandy as animation cuts rather than complete episodes. You have the cut of the zombies attacking the soldiers or the cut of the two gigantic robots fighting or the high detail shots of metalwork equipment or that fantastic Shinya cut. I think the staff not experimenting as much with their storytelling techniques didn't help with that. Space Dandy was a rare show that allowed animators to go wild but when those brilliant sequences are surrounded by an uninspired framework, it makes those story elements much more forgettable. It's like a fantastic bouquet of flowers in a plain white vase, it just fades into the background.

I certainly think the staff of Space Dandy experimented with the kind of stories each episode told. Just think of the really weird Toh Enjoe scripted episodes. It's just that their experiments in this regard were often unsuccessful.

For the most part, a 'pure' comedy seeks only to amuse it's audience. If a work that's only trying to make you laugh doesn't make you laugh, then it's failed. That appears to be the accusation you're levelling at MP100, correct?

I'd argue that only looking at the work through the 'comedy' lens unreasonably narrows your view of what the work is trying to achieve. It doesn't feel like a work that you can so easily label and categorise. It's delved into action, emotional drama, teenager longing and yes, plenty of 'humorous' situations.

I'd say that, at this admittedly early juncture, the show's core focus is on the development of Mob. We're following him on a journey - one that admittedly seems to involve him interacting with lots of exaggerated characters in wacky situations. These situations, while often humorous, usually also tells us something important about Mob, whether it's his social anxiety, his isolation or his aspiration to get a girlfriend. For example, the point of having Mob interact with the girls' school isn't just to make some jokes - it's to allow us to witness how Mob interacts with girls as well as to give him a moment of reflection when he deals with the spirits.

This growing understanding and development of Mobs not particularly complicated, or fast moving, but it's certainly feels like the point of the text.

None of the above is contingent on you finding the show to be 'funny'. I don't think the show is funny, but neither does that have any impact on how entertained I am by the series. I guess that I might like the series even more if I also enjoyed the gags, but I don't really have a sense of humour that resonates with Japanese jokes.

What I think is important is that you grow to understand and connect with the protagonist and if that element of the show is not working for you then I can see that being a problem.

Most of the scenes of the show are about setting up gags, I don't think I'm incorrect in the slightest based on the first two episodes in labeling this primarily as a comedy. All of the things you described are minor undertones eclipsed by the focus on physical comedy. If the show wants to be more than that it has failed in establishing itself. While I do appreciate plenty of Japanese comedy, you are right in that I have not connected with any of the characters in the show, in part because the focus of the series has been on jokes at the expense of everything else. Perhaps the source material deviates from the first two episodes and becomes something else, but I've only been sharing my impressions of what has been animated thus far.

Mailbox

Re:Zero episode 16

Finally got around to this episode. I was a little apprehensive about starting it since I knew Subaru got shit on again. That said, everything about this episode made complete sense. Subaru can't handle things alone so he tries to enlist help, but he can't because he as no standing or anything for negotiations. Hopefully Subaru can get reality through his thick head and quell that pride of his soon. its not as grandiose as episode 15, but this episode felt like the most logical point forward. I'm excited for more.

This spoof sub for HentaixHentai is the greatest thing I've ever seen: https://streamable.com/56gn

So good!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom