• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Well damn, need sleep..

GW7qhCm.gif

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Mob psycho 100 2
Yes, Mob apparently have low esteem and don't have enough confidence even though he has ESP thanks to Tsubomi.
ED is damn impressive. That was really good!

Szadek

I.G isn't putting out a lot this year are they?

Just some one offs, Joker Game, and Haikyuu later this year right?
They are hopefully working really hard on the new Legend of the Galactic Heroes.
How does ufotable rank amongst yall?
They still make pretty anime, but there recent works aren't even close to Fate/Zero and Kara no Kyoukai.
I don't have high hopes for Touken Ranbu either, but Heaven's Feel could be great.
SHAFT is still pioneering as always.
tZBhpQr.png
Literally the best thing ever.

Ange Vierge 1 - This is a series about a team of flying girls fighting against giant monsters to save the Earth and four other worlds linked to it. Their base is on an island, of course, like Strike Witches, though no word on where. The worlds were connected by portals in the sky, but if the worlds fully merge, all will be destroyed. So they fight these monsters to stop that... somehow. The plot is not well explained. So, the promise here seems like one part Strike Witches, one part yuribait, and one part "why did you use a title that will inevitably make people think of that horrible atrocity Cross Ange???"... so yeah, it's probably going to be bad, but I'll give it a chance!

The first episode starts with a fight against one of the monsters. They are giant things, very much like the enemies in Strike Witches, and most of this feels a LOT like Strike Witches, but with girls who have skirts on and much less good. (I kind of like Strike Witches, as dumb as it is...) It's an okay but generic fight which introduces us to the main cast. There are flying girls with superpowers who work in teams who go out and fight, and one team member back at base who has a psychic link to them and can boost their team's abilities and such, but they get blowback when any team member takes a hit so all are affected when one is hurt. Okay, it's a decent concept, if unoriginal.

After the fight, we go to a post-fight bath scene... and the people making this episode apparently love bath scenes, because except for a short flashback, the ENTIRE MIDDLE SECTION OF THE EPISODE, until a second shorter fight at the end, takes place in the bath, with everyone naked or with towels of course. It's kind of crazy, even for a fanservicey show like this. Of course here on TV lots of light beams mean you can't see much, but... starting with a fanservice episode? Um, okay. The plot does continue here, though, as we learn that our protagonist, the lead girl of her team, is unhappy because their team is far from top-rank among the girls on the island, and she wants to be special and not just average. Her linker person has a very not-serious personality, so the MC clashes a lot with that girl. (I watched this a day or two ago; can't remember anybody's names. I'm always terrible at remembering names...) We see a short flashback of her before she got her powers, though it doesn't show anything particularly bad to explain why she's so desperate to be special.

Then, after all the backstory and bath scenes finally end, the team has a training match against a stronger team, and
lose. They're crushed, and MC is quite disappointed.
The end. Through one episode, this show is somewhat absurdly fanservicey, has a somewhat incoherent plot that fails to explain anything beyond the basics very well at all, and has average-at-best action. There is some potential for yuribait between MC and the girl she's so frustrated with, but we'll see. But as for that plot, they chose a more 'en medias res' style here, and it doesn't entirely work. A lot of things in the plot are not explained well either -- what exactly are these monsters? Why are the worlds linked? Are some of these people from the other worlds, or are they all human? Etc. Who knows. First impression is that this series is mediocre at best, and could well be bad. I'll watch a bit more, then maybe drop it.

Ange Vierge 2 - So, after finding episode one so mediocre, I decided to watch episode two soon after. And... it's worse than episode one, somehow. This episode is plot-heavy, and indeed there is a major twist! Stuff happens this time, near the end... and, really, way too soon. The first episode felt somewhat half-baked with its mix of below-average action and absurdly long bath scenes, but this one has even worse writing, redoes part of episode one in order to explain some things better but mostly fails to do anything other than bore you out of repetition, and throws a potentially big twist in way sooner than it should.

So, yes, this episode starts before the end of episode one, and redoes part of that episode, including some of the bath scenes, the flashback of the MC's awakening, and such. A few more details are covered here, but not many, making me wonder why they bothered with this. Were they trying to fill time in an otherwise too-short episode or something? Did they not have enough new animation done, so they had to re-use some of the old stuff and come up with an excuse for why? I don't know, but it's pretty iffy stuff. We do get more of the conflict between the MC and the other main girl, though.
Later in the episode, she learns that actually other girl really is trying, and is always challenging herself with tough training courses... but she never told MC about it, so she didn't know and was being way too hard on her, mistaking her carefree attitude for not trying.

Okay, a little drama is alright, but they can patch that up now, right? Well, maybe not; the later part of this episode is one blatant SOMETHING BAD IS GOING TO HAPPEN SOON hint after another. The only question I had was, what, and to who? And here, I admit, I guessed partially wrong. I thought it would go for the most generic thing, but instead it's something a little different, but no less stupid.
So, a monster nest is discovered, so the top team is sent off to take it out. There are a whole bunch of blatant hints that something might happen to them, or to the main group, or something, so I guessed that maybe the strong team would be taken out and our protagonists would have to step in. Well... no, not quite. I was partially close though -- while the main team was away, a second, stronger monster attacks from underground, at the now weakly-defended base. The protagonists try to fight it, but are hopelessly outmatched... when it pulls back.

They soon learn why -- the true target was the center where all the girls they're linking to stay! They fight their way into that base, and find that all of the girls there are now encased in crystals. End of episode, with MC quite distraught.

... So, uh, I will be watching at least one more episode now, to see what direction this trainwreck goes in.
The basic question is, will those girls be freed from the crystals soon, or will this be some long-term thing? After putting in all that work in the setting into this teams-and-psychic-links thing, it would be fairly odd to suddenly completely drop that in only episode two! So yeah, I do want to know what happens next; will they find a way to free them from those quickly, or no?
And will there be more random, try-hard twists like this as the series progresses? And will any of it actually be well-written or interesting? Things such as the reused animation, the parts of this episode that just are redone parts of episode one, the forgettable fights, generic characters, weird and potentially bad twist, and more, do not give me much hope for that last question... but we'll see, I guess. Or I will at least, considering that I don't see anyone in this thread yet mentioning that they watched episode two. :p

BLAME! movie official site opened.
http://www.blame.jp/
Creative Consultant:Tsutomu Nihei
Director:Hiroyuki Seshita
Animation Production:Polygon Pictures
Produced by:BLAME! Production Committee

BLAME is one of my favourite comics, but between the CGI and beautified designs I'm not really feeling this. It being original material is interesting though, so I'll trick a friend into watching it and reporting back when it releases.

Mailbox

"HumpingXHumping: Not the kizuna system we were looking for" episode 3
Hybrid x Heart

Okay, jokes aside, this episode was still terrible and was still worse than anything Hundred did, but it was still better than the last 2 episodes. Still can't get over the dumb ass name of Chidorigafuchi. I cringe whenever I hear that name; what editor or designer thought that name was in any way okay?

Anywho, can we just take note about how there is a scene in this episode where, upon finishing lunch, one of the girls then turns to the MC and says "there's something else I'd like you to eat" and then raises her skirt. And let me also just say that no, it is not some kind of dumb ecchi-misunderstanding, she literally wants him to... well you get it.

Truth be told, the only way I can ever see this show ever redeeming itself is if it goes the route of "so i can't play h" and gives the MC PTSD and he freaks the fuck out. However I don't have any hopes that this show will be any more than the bottom of the barrel, uninspired, cliche mess that it is. To put it in a phrase: this show makes me want to go and watch IS again, just to get this gross feeling off my body.

-_- That said, it doesn't bore me to death like Prince of Stride has been.... I really have to get to finishing that...

Jintor

Sweetness and Lightning 3

do you think they get kids to voice all the kids? I think so, that sounded really kid-esque to me.

oh man sensei with the knife is scary. At least they're teaching the chopping onion method. I didn't learn that until this year, definitely the best way to dice those fuckers.

aww fuck. this was not an episode to watch when i'm already super sad. tears everywhere

ah crap mum was there in the fb ;___;

Re:Zero episode 16

Finally got around to this episode. I was a little apprehensive about starting it since I knew Subaru got shit on again. That said, everything about this episode made complete sense. Subaru can't handle things alone so he tries to enlist help, but he can't because he as no standing or anything for negotiations. Hopefully Subaru can get reality through his thick head and quell that pride of his soon. its not as grandiose as episode 15, but this episode felt like the most logical point forward. I'm excited for more.

So good!

I'm not sure if I want him to succeed or die to reset his standing with Priscilla. She's definitely the character I'm most interested in, aside from Subaru himself.

Jintor

New Game 3

Yo what's with this fucking dope sleepytime beats? I don't understand this show at all. Why is the comedy so eh tier but the character animation is fucking sick as hell? Why does this really basical ganbatte montage touch my heart? Is it just because I'm feeling super emotional today?

(How the heck did Aoba get the job if she knows like nothing about character modelling? It must be hecka expensive to just train an artist. Maybe working based on potential?)

fucking anime.

aoba stop breaking NDA

sonicmj1

For what it's worth, I wouldn't put Lost Village in the "so bad it's good" bucket. I think it's easy to do that, but I also think it deserves more credit than that. It's intentionally bad, in a way that serves the overall punchline. Which, hey, that obviously doesn't work for some people, but it's different from, say, The Room (I think that's the name of that terrible movie that everyone loved because it was so terrible?). It's got more in common with Syfy's B-tier TV movies, but on a much more subtle level. Although still with a layer of ridiculously stupid one-note characters (as you point out). Which... is just another piece of the bigger picture.

Basically, it's the "bad" and "bland" that makes it surprisingly interesting. Setting up the show in a stereotypical way that makes you expect a dumb kill-'em-all horror show and then pulling back on that is just one of many instances of the show subverting expectations.

(And honestly now I've defended the show with far more energy than I think it's worth expending, haha.)

I loved Shirobako a lot!

And I guess I should watch Garzey's Wing!

For me, personally, I understood the intent, I just didn't think the punchline was particularly good. It was funny watching the crazy cast interact for a while, but how does the "subversion" serve whatever it was they were going for with their story about accepting trauma? It's nice that they surprised me, but after the surprise, what's left?

The problem with making something intentionally bad is that if you do it poorly, you're left with this:

I think what Blood-C did worked because we're strung along together with the main character. With Lost Village, unless they were trying to make me feel bad for wanting to see most of the cast die (and given how underdeveloped and nonsensical they all act, it's hard to muster up much sympathy), I don't see what they were going for in the end.

If it came together as something coherent for you, more power to you.

blurr

(How the heck did Aoba get the job if she knows like nothing about character modelling? It must be hecka expensive to just train an artist. Maybe working based on potential?)

really though I just gave up on the practicality of the situation in the first episode where she didn't know that the studio and herself were working on the sequel to her favorite series

however it's not surprising to see people who don't have any experience in a specific work/tool pick up and start working/learning right away, provided they know the basics of it or anything tangential to the work

Jintor

She was talking about her art earlier, so I assume she must've been a 2d artist they inexplicably hired and put on the 3d model team

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't put Lost Village in the "so bad it's good" bucket. I think it's easy to do that, but I also think it deserves more credit than that. It's intentionally bad, in a way that serves the overall punchline.!

Well if they were trying to make a bad anime then congrats, they succeeded. It was bad (not MJ bad) and, no, not in a funny way.

Crocodile

What have been recent all-original anime that have "taken off" in the States? All I can think of are Kill la Kill and Psyhco-Pass. Both of those are more "traditional" anime than Space Dandy with a hefty amount of "grit". Despite its superlative quality, I think being a comedy was going to limit Space Dandy's appeal.

Space Dandy is still one of the best anime to come out of Japan in the past 10 years. I hardly forgot about it.

This <3

Honestly I can't remember many episodes outside of the afterlife one. I think the consistency stopped from receiving "modern classic" praise like a Ping Pong. When it went all in on comedy, it flopped.

The zombies episode? The space race episode? The Meow home planet episode? The high school episode? The dating episode? It didn't bat 1000 but Space Dandy still did comedy very well and quite frequently at that.

blurr

She was talking about her art earlier, so I assume she must've been a 2d artist they inexplicably hired and put on the 3d model team

Yes, she does say that she just knows how to draw.

I assumed the company is desperate for cheap hire even at the cost of teaching them and that Aoba at least learned/is aware of perspective drawing considering she's moving to 3D.

This show is only raising more questions on Japanese gamedev scene than answering them (-__-)

Jintor

dagashi kashi 4

LEWD.

2LEWD.

3LEWD

dad really is the best character in this whole show, lmao

i dunno why the show wanted to hang this episode on the absurdity of them pretending the only thing that fuels their running is glico caramel but i guess it's okay

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Love Live! is pretty popular in the West. Though I'd say it was more down to the smart device game then the anime since it took a little while for it to catch on.

Went to Hyper Japan last weekend, and you can usually tell what's currently popular with the general masses based on what's on sale and there was a lot of Love Live! stuff this year, amongst the Attack of Titans and what not. Also, when they had the film in London, it was shown with three (and a bit since Gundam was split in two) other films. Love Live! had the biggest audience.

Ange Vierge 02

CnzEEVuWAAEVEM3.jpg

I don't think it is an accident these things look like dicks.

Better episode than the first but only because the girls aren't all naked the entire episode with light beam censors. Plus there was some fighting so that was something.

Crocodile

Taken off in what sense? We don't really get sales figures for the US, and internet hype when it comes to niche or meme stuff can be pretty worthless. Just ask Snakes on a Plane!

Well of course we don't know what metric the President of Bones is using either. The only ones we have available to us are the ones that comprise the anime fandom zeitgeist. While I feel its likely true that not everything that sells well gets a lot of attention, I'd find it hard to believe that things that permeate the anime fandom for any extended period of time don't sell at least moderately well compared to other titles. Are there any examples of this being the case? Like I know Code Geass and Death Note didn't rate that well when they were on TV but Adult Swim Action was kind of in a bad place anyway (they would have doe better if Toonami was around back then) and I've heard nothing to suggest they didn't sell well. I could be wrong though - there are so few hard numbers to work with.

Jintor

love live sun 2

oh shit! stucopres is actually umi combined with nico's high tier nerdery! lmao

i really enjoy the different setting and the diving imagery is really nice. It's a good change from the last series, I feel.

It seems a bit odd to me to write the lyrics before writing the melody, but I've never composed before, much less a song with lyrics, so...

a lot of these transition shots are really strong. I especially liked the yell that turned into a seagull, but the piano transition from reality -> flashback was good, especially with the short tune that cuts out with the echoey sound of the lid opening.

most dangerous meaningful reach for hand in anime history

Ascheroth

Twin Star Exorcists #15

Did not expect romance for Ryougo. Not sure if this will end badly though.
Solid action as well, interesting how they expanded on that Kegare Corruption phenomenon. Still prefer Fallen Impurity though, as the manga calls it.

Cyrano

Sweetness and Lightning 3
I love how these characters are developing! This is such a throwback to both being a kid and taking care of kids. Wonderful, and carefully animated too. Great expressiveness from the visuals and audio.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
New Game 3

Yo what's with this fucking dope sleepytime beats? I don't understand this show at all. Why is the comedy so eh tier but the character animation is fucking sick as hell? Why does this really basical ganbatte montage touch my heart? Is it just because I'm feeling super emotional today?

fucking anime.

aoba stop breaking NDA

Aoba portofolio must've been reallly good if a company hire a highschool grade without any qualification. But then again, she manage to learn Autodesk Saya in less than a month, so maybe their hiring decision was worth it?
Note: (lol, maya. They credit autodesk maya properly during ED credit, but still censor it during the show. What's up with that?)
And yes, Dogakobo animation is damn good. Like, wow, this studio mostly handle comedy, but they sure know how to make fluid animation.

really though I just gave up on the practicality of the situation in the first episode where she didn't know that the studio and herself were working on the sequel to her favorite series

however it's not surprising to see people who don't have any experience in a specific work/tool pick up and start working/learning right away, provided they know the basics of it or anything tangential to the work
To be fair, she's basically in training and no one told her that they're working on her favorite game sequel, and there's a chance the studio working on multiple projects.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.59
vWXzJ0a.jpg

Damn Al, that was not the right decision right there and you played right into their hands..

A question about the gate though, how is it right beneath them physically? That doesnlt make sense, why use the gate, just do
they lose a body part?
this is the third time
Edward has gone through a transmutation gate now, and they have only taken parts of him once. IS that the same for everyone there (the 5 "sacrifices")?
Kinda stupid how they completely destroyed
Mustang
this episode, I mean, they literally destroyed him.

John Blade

This might be one of the starting point of a very important development between Tomoya and Nagisa characters. You start to see Tomoya side quite a bit and see him start to take the next step of his life which is basically stepping out from the issue he is having with his dad by not living with him but with Nagisa family. Also, you start to see Nagisa becoming more helpful with Tomoya something, you never see her done before. In a way, they're not just good friend after what they go through but someone who might have some feeling toward each other and want to help each other without knowing that it might be they might have feeling toward each other. Seeing Nagisa basically stay with Tomoya when he try to run away from his teacher who suppose to see his dad kinda show how much have develop between them.

Also, they're hints between Nagisa parent of something have happen in the past which Nagisa feel like it's her fault for it. I am guessing it might be her mom left her original job just so she can be with Nagisa during her time when she was a very weak girl with her disease. Basically, sacrifice her dream so, she can be with her daughter. I guess this feeling might be something Nagisa still feel which I can understand the situation.

Overall, a very important episode which will get even more emotional a bit as I go through the next few episodes. Also, I am betting during this time, Tomoya will realize everyone have problem in their life and how much their all sacrifice for someone which might make him realize even more toward his father. Lastly, the relationship between Tomoya and Nagisa will get even stronger to the point they will realize they're have feeling toward each other and will express it somehow.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.60
mgdlNyv.png

Wow, how the %@%@%@ are they going to get out of this? This was pretty intense and I thought they safeguarded against this happening, but I guess it didn't work, WTF. I wasn't expecting this kind outcome right away. Not sure how I feel about how they are going to close this out now, but I guess we'll see !

blurr

To be fair, she's basically in training and no one told her that they're working on her favorite game sequel, and there's a chance the studio working on multiple projects.

Yea, I suppose so, I just found it ridiculous as someone who is also in the same field. I'd generally expect to learn about the project I will be assigned to before doing anything.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B ep.61
7eDXm0D.png

I have soo much I should and need to be doing right now, but I can't step away from this.... That true form, my goodness, how in the !#$!%!#%$ Pride, really? WTF is that and I know Edward has a
no-kill policy, but he more than anyone should have been destroyed. The little girl already made that mistake letting Envy live dammit!
When they started playing the OP music through, damn...!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom