• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Danganronpa 1 - The Animation (all of it)

Bad. I imagine the game is much better in almost all regards but even there the horrendous character designs and fairly mediocre mystery and overall story remains. So I don't think it would've been worth putting time into that either.

That censorship though. Pink blood, good lord. When you're watching a relatively edgy anime and they don't even show red blood, yikes. Also, were those execution scenes simply lifted out of the game? While visually more interesting they felt incredibly out of place.

The basic premise had me interested at first but the more rules and forced pressure were added the less interesting this Battle Royal system setup becomes to me. The okay-ish mystery was all that kept me watching after some point. Those paper-thin, completely over the top characters basically nullified all potentially engaging drama.

I could keep talking about this show but I think anyone would probably just tell me the anime is crap compared to the game anyways, so I'll let go here.

Ouran High School Host Club - quite a bunch of episodes in

It's pretty damn great. The director of Ojamajo Doremi is doing real well with this one, too.

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

Bad. I imagine the game is much better in almost all regards but even there the horrendous character designs and fairly mediocre mystery and overall story remains. So I don't think it would've been worth putting time into that either.

That censorship though. Pink blood, good lord. When you're watching a relatively edgy anime and they don't even show red blood, yikes. Also, were those execution scenes simply lifted out of the game? While visually more interesting they felt incredibly out of place.

The basic premise had me interested at first but the more rules and forced pressure were added the less interesting this Battle Royal system setup becomes to me. The okay-ish mystery was all that kept me watching after some point. Those paper-thin, completely over the top characters basically nullified all potentially engaging drama.

I could keep talking about this show but I think anyone would probably just tell me the anime is crap compared to the game anyways, so I'll let go here.

It's pretty damn great. The director of Ojamajo Doremi is doing real well with this one, too.
Yeah the danganronpa anime really dont do the games any justice. Now im curious to how the new anime is doing.

Eumi

You shut your damn mouth pink blood is dope.

Game is better but yeah the rest of your issues still ring true. The series is style over substance more often than not.

phaze

Dang, what did the Boundary idols do?

Note that I've never seen it.

I dunno, nothing that I could put directly finger on. The entire ridiculous premise of the episode, the cheesy tongue in cheek in training montage/it being a one off thing for the characters/and that ending.

Also the song was dope. :p

He also directed Captain Earth. You know what to do !

I didn't even know this Daganronpa thing had an anime for the first game. Might check some eps out just get grasp on the franchise cause I've been entire unaware of it till this season.

That's probably all Aniplex was willing to pay for, but they wanted another 2 hours from BONES, lol.

Would have been a blast to see Star Driver already impressive action propped up by movie budge ... tfu I meant schedule of course.

Sölf

I finished Space Patrol Luluco.

Did Luluco become Haruka from FLCL??

No, she became Ms. Trigger. One of the Trigger Girls:

TRIGGER-GIRLS-wallpaper.png

Recommending Captain Earth? wat

There are ways of doing monster of the week shows and Captain earth was a prime example of how not to do one.
"I just haxxored the whole world's nuke supply and will blow up everything so you better not do that evil thing you want to do!!!" Someone please end me.

phaze

But with Ouran you just went up to 30% credibility again. Why take that all away already!

Been just thinking, it's a first in a while that we agree somewhat on show. lol

I have faith that Mononoke will prop up that ratio even higher !

Also,
say no to mecha.

I'll after I finally manage to watch the Patlabor movies.

Recommending Captain Earth? wat

There are ways of doing monster of the week shows and Captain earth was a prime example of how not to do one.

I haven't even watched the show, other than it's first episode, I'm just familiar with its reputation.

John Blade

I guess I should have notice from the previous episode. It look like they might be some triangle love between few of the female characters in this show. It mostly come down to Ryou and Tomoyo. This doesn't help as Nagisa is now out of the picture in this episode after an incident in the beginning of the episode.

For this reason, you got to see some very odd situation for Tomoya from Tomoyo come to his home to wake him up so he can get to class early to Kyou having lunch with Tomoya so, she can get her little sis to be friend with him even more as she have a crush with him. Hell, they might be a chance Kyou might have a crush with Tomoya based on the event as of now. It's funny as Tomoya didn't notice this and a bit occupied, wondering how Nagisa is doing.

This bring few funny scene which is fun to watch like the gym room close incident. Also, you start to know a bit more of Tomoyo and see issue she have in her past based on what happen in this episode. I am guessing this will get more odd as she was save by Tomoya from the fight incident at the end of the episode and might feel that they might be something from it. Man....I am betting Nagisa will freak out if she found out about this.

Ascheroth

Kuromukuro #13

Now THAT is how you do a proper school festival episode!
It was fun, had some romantic developments, developed side characters and was actually not fluff but integral to the story even.

Kyuur

I asked this in the Berserk thread but didn't get any responses: For someone who really enjoyed the Berserk movies in pretty much everyway, how is the anime doing (quality/cut-content-wise)? I see a lot of negativity but most of it seems to be coming from fans of the original anime or manga, and most of the folks on here don't like the movies anyways. Holding off on watching until a rewatch of the movies so just curious.

Re: Zero 14-16

After really being put off by 12-13 and taking a bit of break, and...

tumblr_mreczsWyFw1r8nxtno1_400.gif

Amazing. I really should have expected this after a similarly horrible start to the first two arcs before resurrections. It almost feels like I'm being set up each time. They're handling Subaru's idiocy quite well now and I'm not enough turned off by the slight "harem" feeling with that began with Rem (although my fiancee still isn't too found of it even after 14. The expanded cast still needs some work (they feel kind of trope-y) but damn if they didn't completely blow me away with Priscilla's latest scene in 16.

15 definitely took the cake out of the three; my small issue with the 2nd last scene (where the animators apparently forgot about Rem's mangled body, I'll give it to the writer because of regeneration bs or something) were quickly forgotten about with the last scene of the episode.
Felt like the end of a Lovecraftian horror and increased my interest in the mystery of the show tenfold. The ending to 14 was great too (that had to be a trap left by Emilia or Puck in their potential last moments, right?) but they just nailed this one.

Edit: Also where the fuck is Beatrice at. I'm honestly more concerned for her than Emilia.

Summer Season 2016

I've decided to watch at minimum another episode of:
91Days
Sweetness and Lightning
Mob Psycho 100 (of course)
Momokuri
Orange
Puzzle Dragon X (was not expecting this, doubt it will keep up the quality though)
Taboo Tattoo
Alderamin on the Sky

Still need to watch first episodes of: Battery, Days, New Game, ReLife (please let me know if any of these are garbage)

Super disappointed with Handa-kun, just awful. The worst of the bunch was probably 'The Outcast'. Just overwhelmingly bland.

John Blade

Well...this might be the conclusion end of the triangle love between Kyou, Ryou, and Tomoyo toward Tomoya. The ending scene where they saw Tomoya and Nagisa been together at the tennis game tell them who is the true love. I guess this might be too much for Kyou and Ryou while Tomoyo handle it well when she realize it. You can't win every time I have to say and this might make the friendship between all more harder now that they know who Tomoya have feeling with.

As for the rest of the episode, it's fun to watch. The whole lunch scene where almost all the girls come in to feed Tomoya is scary to watch as all of them want to feed Tomoya and he doesn't want to hurt they feeling as they spend quite a bit of time cooking for him. Guess he take it as a man and everyone food to please them. Love how they end that scene as it didn't show you the decision he made which is a great way to end it as we don't need to be seen.

We got to know more of Tomoyo past life before she came to the school and it's another sad backstory which have a good ending at the end. Also, it's the main reason why she came to the school and want to be the president so, she can use her power to save something important for her.

Overall, a good episode with some funny scene to watch. Now, everyone know who Tomoya really like, this will get awkward and might cause tension between everyone.

This decade has tons of stuff by Orange in Fafner Exodus and Majestic Prince for starters. That's not even going into the Rebuild movies.

It's fair to say that Orange has done the best mecha action in recent years, in all of their mecha-oriented projects (see also Comet Lucifer), although I have been pleasantly surprised by some of what P.A. Works has done in Kuromukuro.

If we're including 2D then the answer overall is either Star Driver or GBF.

You can also include Gundam Thunderbolt in that, I think.

Aki-at

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - 57

As much as I'm loving the no holds bar action and general chaos unfolding before me I guess my earlier prediction of
the Promised Day is going to last from episode 50 to 64, wonder how it must have been as a manga reader being stuck on this one day.

Been enjoying every moment though! So far the highly definitely has to be
Bradley vs the tank and the animation for the episode where Envy gets incinerated.

Jarmel

Banned
Maaan reading that latest Anno apology can assure us that we won't be seeing eva 3.0+1 anytime soon. That man sound so sad everytime I read something about him.

Also 3+1 seems to be truly the last movie.

“Up until then, after doing the third entry Evangelion: 3.0 You Can (Not) Redo, I thought I wasn’t going to make any more,”

Truly the master. This would have been the greatest troll.

kewlmyc

Why?

Yes the executions are lifted from the game. Most of the characters stand around in sprite poses as well. It's exceptionally low effort.

Pink blood is in the game but as more of a stylistic choice.

You shut your damn mouth pink blood is dope.

Game is better but yeah the rest of your issues still ring true. The series is style over substance more often than not.

Dude, the pink blood is a stylistic choice and is what makes it look good. What the hell are you going on about...

Sölf;210591309 said:
Pink blood = best blood

pink blood = deep dope

Wasn't the pink blood originally only a way to prevent the original PSP release from getting a harsher CERO rating than it did and they just stuck with it for future releases? That would explain why the DR3 Future anime abandons the pink blood since they don't have that CERO restriction anymore.
Still doesn't explain why DR3 Despair side still has it.

Shirobako 16

This was an excellent episode. Lots of endearing eccentric moments, from Emi's sick roof dancing to Gothloli baseball (please add this to the next Yakuza game, Sega), and a neat personal story from Ogasawara that helped flesh out her character and the overall theme of an artist's struggles. It's hilarious that she was inspired to take on her gothloli costume and persona as a defense mechanism from seeing a Kill Bill poster.

The editor is a total douche who really needs to be decked.

Cheer Danshi 3
The QUALITY in this episode was something to see. I lost it when that girl was running in place and not moving in the gym scene.

download.png

This was a very cute scene, and not just because of the giant rice ball.

The fact that this scene worked so well, despite the violence before it, is proof to craftsmanship of this show. It's not gonna set the world on fire, but it's a very solid work.
Also, Kennosuke is the best.

The editor is based on a real person and that person threw a massive tantrum at these episodes on Twitter.

Oh, really? Not that I'm surprised - I imagine most of the incidents and personalities in Shirobako are based on real industry occurrences and people - but it's neat to see that confirmed. If you have any more details, I'd be curious to read them.

Theonik

Oh, really? Not that I'm surprised - I imagine most of the incidents and personalities in Shirobako are based on real industry occurrences and people - but it's neat to see that confirmed. If you have any more details, I'd be curious to read them.
I think /xx/ originally found this article.

Shirobako has such direct things it picks on that I can't imagine that everyone isn't at least somewhat based on a real person
Trying to find that link I found that Sugie is probably based on Yasuji Mori.
rLo3vg1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom