• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Cheer Danshi 3
The QUALITY in this episode was something to see. I lost it when that girl was running in place and not moving in the gym scene.

Yeah, I think I'm going to get off here.
The concept is interesting, but the execution is lacking.

I wonder what just happened to Brain Base. :(

I wonder what just happened to Brain Base. :(

This isn't really a mystery, is it? Omori left, first to Manglobe and then to establish Shuka, and as he was the core of the artistically interesting side of Brains Base most of the talent residing at the studio also left. See, for example, producer Yumi Satou, who worked at Brains Base from Kamichu through One Week Friends and is now at Shuka handling 91 Days.

Line_HTX

Studio Bones President Masahiko Minami

"After seeing the reception to Space Dandy in the United States, was it what you expected or wanted for the property? How did you feel about how Space Dandy was received over here? There was this suspicion that you would've wanted it to be bigger.

Honestly speaking, I hoped that the audience would be a little bit more receptive.

Do you have any feelings or ideas on why it was not as big as you thought at first?

I thought it would be a lot more explosive feelings of happiness all over the world from watching. I thought we had created a show that's like none other, so I had the feeling like "You wanted to see something like this, didn't you?!” But the audience was kind of "meh." But I feel like I made a timeless piece, so once you have kids and the kid grows up and watches Space Dandy, they can still be like “yay!” And I thinks it's a success in that way."

nVUanBC.png

tumblr_inline_o8cl03D5cy1ruga5u_500.gif

you know the mob psycho 100 OP is growing on me. I don't LOVE it like the One Punch Man one which has some great parodies and covers, but it's slowly becoming more and more endearing to me.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Just make Cowboy Bebop 2 and America will eat it up.

Honestly, I'm surprised at how forgotten Space Dandy seems nowadays.

I remember people here hyping that show up so much years ago, and people seemed to really love its second season.

Nowadays I barely hear any mention of this show anywhere.

That's just how anime fandom goes - in the aggregate, it tends to have a very short memory. When people talk about really creative, experimental anime, you'll certainly hear Space Dandy brought up.

I trust I.G more than BONES at these day tho

Eh. I don't hate either studio, but I.G. hasn't made much recently that I've enjoyed aside from Haikyuu, Miss Hokusai, and the new GitS movie. Bones has made some stinkers such as the tepid handling of My Hero Academia, but they've also been making some really creative, experimental anime such as Concrete Revolutio and Mob Psycho 100. If I were to paint in a broad brush, I would say I.G. overall feels like it's playing things on the safe side, not taking too many creative risks, and is weaker for that. Playing into nostalgia with reboots of old properties such as Arise and FLCL 2 plays into that.

Ufotable makes the only decent videogame adaptations in this industry, if you want to call that praise. They even made God Eater fairly entertaining.

fertygo

Eh. I don't hate either studio, but I.G. hasn't made much recently that I've enjoyed aside from Haikyuu, Miss Hokusai, and the new GitS movie. Bones has made some stinkers such as the tepid handling of My Hero Academia, but they've also been making some really creative, experimental anime such as Concrete Revolutio and Mob Psycho 100. If I were to paint in a broad brush, I would say I.G. overall feels like it's playing things on the safe side, not taking too many creative risks, and is weaker for that. Playing into nostalgia with reboots of old properties such as Arise and FLCL 2 plays into that.

Won't count mob as experimental since its adaptation.

Ufotable makes the only decent videogame adaptations in this industry, if you want to call that praise. They even made God Eater fairly entertaining.

It's a little different since these sorts of mobile games don't have a strong plot already fashioned and thus allow for more freedom in an anime version, but I'd rather watch Majin Bone or Show by Rock than God Eater or Tales of etc. Hirao tried with God Eater, but... not in a way I enjoyed.

I.G isn't putting out a lot this year are they?

Just some one offs, Joker Game, and Haikyuu later this year right?

This is true. Production I.G doesn't have a whole lot of announced projects - there's Haikyuu S3, the FLCL sequel, and the LoGH remake that I know of. IG Port seems to prefer using its other animation subsidiaries these days - Xebec, Wit Studio, and their newest one Signal.MD, which is handling Kamiyama's new film projects.

Won't count mob as experimental since its adaptation.

That's not really fair. Yes, Mob Psycho 100 is based on a manga, but the approach the team at Bones are taking to the adaptation is far different from just slapping the manga pages on screen and calling it a day. By using many different techniques and styles in its animation, such as paint on glass, they're creating something that's unique within commercial anime, something that isn't content with meeting the norms but experimenting with what is possible within the medium. I would certainly consider Mob Psycho 100 a more experimental anime than a more by-the-numbers anime "original" such as, say, Active Raid.

Mailbox

How does ufotable rank amongst yall?

At the very least, they are a studio to keep an eye on. Their visual design is pretty much second to none (say what you want about God eater, the art style in that show is crazy good) but I feel like they are quite stuck with what they are adapting. If they are given room to breath and are given a good property, I'd love to see what would come out of that.

fertygo

I think just because someone did good adaptation and maybe passionate about it didn't really made it experimental project , that sound silly lol. Just how the project started is set it apart.. the production comitee approach the studio to made something that they want as opposed the people in studio try to convince funder to made that they want or also can be funder let them made anything that they want.

And what the adaptation subject is also important, my point is just because the artstyle and animation can go crazy in mob isn't mean the staff working on it is more passionate to being "experimental" than the staff at Rakugo for example. I guess in the end its just semantic perceiving issue on my end.

It's a little different since these sorts of mobile games don't have a strong plot already fashioned and thus allow for more freedom in an anime version, but I'd rather watch Majin Bone or Show by Rock than God Eater or Tales of etc. Hirao tried with God Eater, but... not in a way I enjoyed.

They are a bit different in that I wouldn't call those shows adaptations really, just original shows using existing IP (same as something like Rage of Bahamut). Though I enjoyed God Eater for what it was.

Majin Bone is something I have on my backlog thanks to all of the impressions in this thread, so maybe one day I'll experience that.

I think just because someone did good adaptation and maybe passionate about it didn't really made it experimental project , that sound silly lol. Just how the project started is set it apart.. the production comitee approach the studio to made something that they want as opposed the people in studio try to convince funder to made that they want or also can be funder let them made anything that they want.

And what the adaptation subject is also important, my point is just because the artstyle and animation can go crazy in mob isn't mean the staff working on it is more passionate to being "experimental" than the staff at Rakugo for example. I guess in the end its just semantic perceiving issue on my end.

I mean it's experimental in the sense that it's trying out things with form and style that's unusual in anime, things that are really trying to take advantage of animation as an artform, as compared to Rakugo Shinjuu, which is more filmed in a live-action style (with some notable exceptions). Experimental here doesn't necessarily mean high quality - in fact, part of the connotation behind the word is that there will be experiments that fail - or an indication that the staff are more emotionally invested in their work than the staff on a project that is well-made but not especially experimental.

I just think it's important to provide a space for experimentation within an artistic field, as long as it's feasible to do so. That's something I appreciated about Minami's interview with ANN released earlier today - that he said that, until the market contracts and they are forced to focus on safer commercial bets, he wants to keep trying new things at Bones.

Magi: Adventures of Sinbad is the second time Netflix has burned me with promises of glorious sea-faring adventures and delivered only wet, soggy disappointment. I was really hoping it would be up to snuff with Netflix's other original content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom