• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist:B Ep. 62
72soRlf.png

Oh my, this is excellent, excellent, excellent.... Fighto Edward!

Mandelbo

Yuru Yuri S3 01

Oh Yuru Yuri, how I've missed you. I'd forgotten how fantastic it is. This episode was a stronger start than I was expecting - the King game and Chinatsu getting increasingly irate as more people joined the game was great, as was Akari trying oh so hard to look like a cool role model to Sakurako's sister and failing miserably as usual. Didn't think much of the OP though. I'm surprised that they didn't do an "Akari has no presence" joke, quite looking forward to seeing those return.

blurr

New Game 03

Good lord this show has some great character animation.

Aoba learns how much effort goes into a single aspect of the game. Interesting that Aoba likes making models and the designs of the game but isn't as pedantic about the amount of detail that goes into them as much as Yagami. She only begins to learn and identify the nuances involved. This was cool, way more on "making" than last week's.

I lol'd at Hifumi using an emoticon for her apology letter which apparently is a thing in companies for coming in late. I actually go to work 30 minutes to 1 hour late, on the contrary, if there's work, I am forced to stay back until late hours. Thankfully, I haven't really stayed back all night or past 10PM so far lol.

so far Puzzle & Dragons Engdub has been awesome, love the Ace Lance voices.

Servamp engdub is a bit hard to embrace since I liked lazy Yuki Kaji voice for Kuro and Sakuya's voice is bleagh. Ill probably like them at the end of the series.

Cornbread78

Fullmental Alchemist:B ep.63

It's tough to post any images without being huge series spoilers, so I'll just leave it at this image from the episode. Everything about it was great, and that closing image was outstanding, an image sadness as well as happiness and very memorable regardless....

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a side note, are there any image rehosting sites that have image editing tools like Imgur built in? Imgurs recent update is has broken the verification process and I can no longer upload and resize images using their site. Tinypic works, but it doesn't have an editor buit in....

Ascheroth

Illya 3rei #3rei

Don't mess with Gil-kun.
Illya uses the
Caster
card, yay.
But that Ainsworth Berserker is broken as fuck, seriously. And Angelica has 4 cards???
The Ainsworths are full of shit.

Curious what's the deal with Tanaka and that mystery Archer.

Qurupeke

On a side note, are there any image rehosting sites that have image editing tools like Imgur built in? Imgurs recent update is has broken the verification process and I can no longer upload and resize images using their site. Tinypic works, but it doesn't have an editor buit in....

You can still edit the image after you've uploaded it. But yeah, the update sucks.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Yea, I suppose so, I just found it ridiculous as someone who is also in the same field. I'd generally expect to learn about the project I will be assigned to before doing anything.

I was in the similar situation actually, during training, the trainer told us what project the company currently doing, but the assignment was given when the training over, so yeah, i remember i got assigned to compatibility test and they expect me to learn from my senior (all junior staff got assigned to a chair near senior so they can learn from them).

New Game 3

Here we see the sad reality that is Aoba working overtime to finish her assignment (I sure hope she's getting compensation for that). I assume they start working around 9.30-10am, which mean Aoba work for about 13 hours (minus 1 hour for lunch break, but then again Aoba skip them, so i guess the studio has lax rules about lunch break). Yagami and Rin also staying at the office till late night, so yeah... Such is the life of game developer! (not all of them, but this is me talking based on my own experience, i see producer working from 8am till 11pm and then they come to the office at 8am again. Sure is brutal, but at least overtime was compensated). Oh yeah, i know that feeling. Having your work getting a revision sure is suck, but after a while, you'll get used to it.

Oh right as a newbie, i definitely keeps working overtime when my assignment not finished yet, but now, lol, i'll go home when it's time to go home, especially if the assignment was unreasonable (finishing 12 hours RPG in a single day, ain't got no time for that!)

Canon

Banned
Re:Zero made me wanna throw up, and sad IRL. physically felt sick

ReLIFE was great til the last episode....didn't like the development

New Game is cute

This art club has a problem is relatable in some way

Isn't tinypic banned on here?

blurr

I was in the similar situation actually, during training, the trainer told us what project the company currently doing, but the assignment was given when the training over, so yeah, i remember i got assigned to compatibility test and they expect me to learn from my senior (all junior staff got assigned to a chair near senior so they can learn from them).

it's not perfectly clear but were you working as a programmer or a tester? but regardless of which they did tell you what you will be potentially working on but only assigned you based on requirement/assessment at the end of it

I have heard of testers, specifically in EA, my bro worked there (I went through the interview but missed the HR round over an exam lol) but they had somewhat of an assessment during training as well.

New Game 3

Here we see the sad reality that is Aoba working overtime to finish her assignment (I sure hope she's getting compensation for that). I assume they start working around 9.30-10am, which mean Aoba work for about 13 hours (minus 1 hour for lunch break, but then again Aoba skip them, so i guess the studio has lax rules about lunch break). Yagami and Rin also staying at the office till late night, so yeah... Such is the life of game developer! (not all of them, but this is me talking based on my own experience, i see producer working from 8am till 11pm and then they come to the office at 8am again. Sure is brutal, but at least overtime was compensated). Oh yeah, i know that feeling. Having your work getting a revision sure is suck, but after a while, you'll get used to it.

Oh right as a newbie, i definitely keeps working overtime when my assignment not finished yet, but now, lol, i'll go home when it's time to go home, especially if the assignment was unreasonable (finishing 12 hours RPG in a single day, ain't got no time for that!)

damn, you've got a good gig, I generally see programmers or testers stay back the longest

My job is decision making - best job if co-workers/boss have a properly aligned direction, I mostly have to stay back for meetings or sometimes, play testing/balancing the game.

Cornbread78

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood- END
rrE18QK.jpg

(probably the only safe image to post from the final episode without any spoilers)

I couldn't stop this morning, I had to finish it all! Those final few episodes were intense and full of awesomeness from start to finish...

I can't write a grand write-up like Jarmel, so I'll keep this short and coherent. This was excellent. It was the perfect "adventure" anime I was looking to watch, even though, it is not exactly the genre I usually enjoy. From start to finish everything had a purpose, all of the plots, sub plots and characters were addressed/visited and very few leaves were left unturned through the very end of the show. With that being said, there was still the major fundamental question I had which was left unanswered ,
What are the Homunculus?
That question was never truly answered, even in the end, but they allowed the lore to stay there by keeping
Selim/Pride alive and fused with human life and allowed to grow as a human with his mother?
It's kind of confusing why they did that, but did they leave it open on purpose for future manga maybe?

That aside, the final episode acted more of an epilogue to close out the aforementioned plotlines throughout the story and the final few minutes with
Winry
was expected but still great to see. This made that final image of the photo plastered at the very end of the credits even better.
Awe, EDward and Winry made some babies! How cute... no really, that fu(king smile was awesome!

Definitely and excellent series and I can see why it is probably the #1 anime, just because it includes great writing, with great characters, great enemies, action, adventure and a satisfying ending to it all. I still wouldn't put this ahead of Clannad based on an emotional level, but it is definitely up there for me. That scene with
Granny and Hohenheim
at the end of ep.63 being one of the most impactful, outside of the episode with
the death of My Hughes and his daughter acting up at the funeral... that was tough.

Thank you, this was excellent!

Deadly

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood- END
rrE18QK.jpg

With that being said, there was still the major fundamental question I had which was left unanswered ,
What are the Homunculus?
That question was never truly answered, even in the end, but they allowed the lore to stay there by keeping
Selim/Pride alive and fused with human life and allowed to grow as a human with his mother?
It's kind of confusing why they did that, but did they leave it open on purpose for future manga maybe?
The homunculus are the seven sins of Father purged out of him and given form or a human body. Pretty sure they explained it at one point

John Blade

Well...look like my prediction hit right on. You found out the full secret Nagisa's parent try to hide from her which is basically their sacrifice everything from their steady job and life just so their can be with her everything even if it mean been in debt and lost what they want to do in their own life. All from her sickness and almost die from it when her parent left for work and she literally step out to wait for them. A very sad and touching as you start to realize how much Nagisa's parent love her to the point their don't want her to feel sorry for them for what they have to do just so she can have a normal life......just like a normal family will do.

For Tomoya, you also notice how much feeling he have toward Nagisa to the point he felt like he need to put some space between them just so, he don't want to disturb them. In reality, it was only when his friend literally tell the real reason, he start to realize he was the reason why Nagisa manage to be what she is currently, from a very shy girl who have no friends to someone who can stand up for herself and have friends and able to get a club starting up. All of this is done with the help by him and he start to realize if he ever step out, he worry she will loose her confidence which she build up because of him.

Also, the mysterious scene you see in few episode with the lonely girl and the robot. I just found out this entire scene is actually a story Nagisa heard when she was young and she want to make it into the drama show for the school. I got to say, it's very clever to tell the story one scene at the time for the audience to see even though it might not make sense at all without knowing what the scene represent.

Still, a very good episode. You found out quite a bit of Nagisa life and her parents and the secret which make you realize how special Nagisa is to her parent and how that one incident have change the entire family for the better you can say. Also, you go to see Tomoya start to realize how much he have feeling toward Nagisa even though he try to tone it down like it's nothing. I guess the talk with his friend make him realize how much he actually help her and how she is now becoming very important for him in his life. With few more episodes left (3 to go), I guess we got to see more of this two MC to be together and how even in trouble time, will help each other.

Cornbread78

The homunculus are the seven sins of Father purged out of him and given form or a human body. Pretty sure they explained it at one point

They threw that concept out when he took in all 5 "human sacrifices" but it wasn't exactly clear. It was Hohenhein who pointed that out about father
shedding his emotions in the form of the 7 deadly sins. If that is the case, what is their "true form" and why did only pride and Envy have a one?

Line_HTX

Magias Academy Ataraxia something something 01

God dayum, what a cold opening...

This was more than I bargained for, and I watched a lot of trash myself, lolol

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
it's not perfectly clear but were you working as a programmer or a tester? but regardless of which they did tell you what you will be potentially working on but only assigned you based on requirement/assessment at the end of it

I have heard of testers, specifically in EA, my bro worked there (I went through the interview but missed the HR round over an exam lol) but they had somewhat of an assessment during training as well.

damn, you've got a good gig, I generally see programmers or testers stay back the longest

My job is decision making - best job if co-workers/boss have a properly aligned direction, I mostly have to stay back for meetings or sometimes, play testing/balancing the game.

I was working as a tester. I think at the time, it was still chaotic with the project involving lot of device (compatibility test is a bitch) and the company just active for around 2 months
And yes, there is an assessment after we done with our training, though due to deadline rush, they can't really afford to put us in critical role or let us learn in our own pace
And then i got transferred to new division after a week, so they put me in another training weeks.

I was lucky enough to get compensation in form of bonus and paid leave at the time,and the higher up try to reduce OT during gold rush by making weekend and overnight shift, so it really helped a lot. Though before the weekend and overnight were established, i sometime stay in the office long after work hour to see if there's a problem or not. And yeah, i think having good supervisor or boss really help a lot. I was lucky my supervisor is a patient and dedicated man. He stay in the office to give me advice on how to proceed and everything.

Skii

Hey everyone. I've finally finished exams so with all my free time, can anyone recommend anime from the Spring releases?

I know I only ever come by for anime recommendation but I'll do my best to post opinions on what I watch!

I might watch Orange though as the premise is right up my street.

Orange is such an awful show. Jesus fuck.

Why does this girl read like three lines of the letter at a time? She doesn't even finish a single letter in a sitting.

Why did she think Kakeru was going to physically assault her in the middle of the classroom?

Qurupeke

Macross F 2-6

VqKfRj7.png
P1yK9sa.png

Hard choice...
Sheryl is actually pretty damn good. I'm still partial to Ranka and her dog ears hairstyle, but Sheryl has become a lot more likable since episode 5. And the writers obviously seem to like her. Unlike, say, Mirage x Hayate in Macross Delta, Sheryl's relationship with Alto doesn't feel forced and their scenes are great. I don't think the trope of the celebrity falling for an unusual guy is particularly uncommon, but I think both of them make it rather enjoying to watch.

On the other hand, Ranka's scenes were kind of painful so far. A trauma and a failure, and she also witnessed Sheryl with Alto, just when he became her inspiration, poor girl. At least it seems that she's about to take off now, so I'm certainly looking forward to her eventual success.

Hey everyone. I've finally finished exams so with all my free time, can anyone recommend anime from the Spring releases?

I know I only ever come by for anime recommendation but I'll do my best to post opinions on what I watch!

Mob Psycho 100 is by the author of One Punch Man. Try that

91 Days and Thunderbolt Fantasy people have been liking as well. Thunderbolt Fantasy is a puppetry show by the writer of Madoka. It's really cool.

Mob Psycho 100 (By the same guy who did One Punch Man.)
91 Days (Prohibition revenge thriller)
Sweetness and Lightning (Cute story of a single dad raising his daughter.)
Jojo continues to be great.
Planetarian

Those are the best of the bunch to me.

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Kuromukuro
Tanaka-kun
Jojo

Cornbread78

ReZero
Orange
91 Days
Tales of Zestiria the X
Amaama to Inazuma
Planetarian (only 5 episodes with a movie airing in Sept.)
Kiznaiver
My Hero Academia
Twin Star Exorcists

qcf x2

So it's kind of like Cross Ange in a way?

The setting has some unmistakable things in common: Multiple/parallel worlds converging on each other in a doomsday scenario, the ones who protect Earth are girls in a combat academy on an island in the middle of nowhere, the main enemy are these things that just randomly appear from another dimension, with whom the girls engage in aerial combat, and there are a couple of other nods. The island might as well have been ripped straight out of CA.

With that said, nothing I've seen so far suggests it will shit the bed anywhere near as badly as Cross Ange did. It also has a pairing system which is kinda working for the series so far (basically, each girl who is a fighter is paired with one who is basically a mana supplier in mission control, and they both share damage though obviously only one can actually fight and/or defend herself). No royalty hijinks or goofy nods to racism so far, and the end of episode 2 actually did a decent job of introducing some drama.

The main draw for me is the excellent animation and the unique abilities that the hero(in)es have.

Line_HTX

The setting has some unmistakable things in common: Multiple/parallel worlds converging on each other in a doomsday scenario, the ones who protect Earth are girls in a combat academy on an island in the middle of nowhere, the main enemy are these things that just randomly appear from another dimension, with whom the girls engage in aerial combat, and there are a couple of other nods. The island might as well have been ripped straight out of CA.

With that said, nothing I've seen so far suggests it will shit the bed anywhere near as badly as Cross Ange did. It also has a pairing system which is kinda working for the series so far (basically, each girl who is a fighter is paired with one who is basically a mana supplier in mission control, and they both share damage though obviously only one can actually fight and/or defend herself). No royalty hijinks or goofy nods to racism so far, and the end of episode 2 actually did a decent job of introducing some drama.

The main draw for me is the excellent animation and the unique abilities that the hero(in)es have.

Mana support teammate, no racism... Alright, I dig this.

Skii

Mob Psycho 100 is by the author of One Punch Man. Try that

91 Days and Thunderbolt Fantasy people have been liking as well. Thunderbolt Fantasy is a puppetry show by the writer of Madoka. It's really cool.

Mob Psycho 100 (By the same guy who did One Punch Man.)
91 Days (Prohibition revenge thriller)
Sweetness and Lightning (Cute story of a single dad raising his daughter.)
Jojo continues to be great.
Planetarian

Those are the best of the bunch to me.

Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou
Kuromukuro
Tanaka-kun
Jojo

Thanks guys! There's quite a few common ones between your lists so I'll make my way through them first.

ReZero
Orange
91 Days
Tales of Zestiria the X
Amaama to Inazuma
Planetarian (only 5 episodes with a movie airing in Sept.)
Kiznaiver
My Hero Academia
Twin Star Exorcists

Cornbread always killing it with the recommendations! Thanks man.

Sterok

Taboo Tattoo 3

People were right, the camera was weird this episode. Bad guys continue to be creepy people. Good guys are still cliche. Tom is kind of funny though.

Future Boy Conan 15

No one wants to talk to the adults. I'm not surprised that Conan and Jimsy wanted to take matters into their own hands, but I'm surprised Lana didn't go after her guardians when she realized the two were missing and tried to handle the situation by herself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom