• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Wow...so much have happen and now is crashing down after Nagisa found out how much her parent sacrifice for her. This might be too much for Nagisa as you can see she might not able to handle all of this at once and on the day when she is going to act for her play for the drama class. Man...worst time ever.

As for the rest of the episode, the whole build up of the drama club of getting the play ready and seeing Nagisa dream coming true is very nice to watch. It's even more personal for Nagisa as it's basically her dream she want to do.

Also, the development between Nagisa and Tomoya is getting stronger but this might be the time when Tomoya need to stand up and help Nagisa with this incident as it will not only ruin her chance to do the play she want to do but also might cause her to go back to her quiet shy personality if nothing is solve from what she found out.

Man...let's see where this show will go now.

Hey everyone. I've finally finished exams so with all my free time, can anyone recommend anime from the Spring releases?

I know I only ever come by for anime recommendation but I'll do my best to post opinions on what I watch!

I might watch Orange though as the premise is right up my street.

Cerberus
Shonen Maid
Super Lovers
Twin Star Exorcists
The Lost Village

were great spring anime

Thanks guys! There's quite a few common ones between your lists so I'll make my way through them first.

I just realized you asked for Spring anime. I gave you summer shows. Sorry about that, most people come asking about the new summer shows.

Best spring stuff is...
Kiznaiver
Kuromukuro (on Netflix)
Jojo again.
My Hero Academia
Flying Witch

Funis owari no serafu set looks amazing

Cn0eQLDWYAA-9ha.jpg

Ascheroth

Hey everyone. I've finally finished exams so with all my free time, can anyone recommend anime from the Spring releases?

I know I only ever come by for anime recommendation but I'll do my best to post opinions on what I watch!

My Hero Academia
Space Patrol Luluco
Kiznaiver
Ushio to Tora Season 2
JoJo obviously
Re:Zero
Kuromukuro

pbayne

Gundam Char’s Counterattack

-There’s some pretty sketchy character logic to set up this film. Granted I haven’t seen ZZ but I know Char and Amuro don’t show up in it and I can roughly parse what happens in ZZ and the set-up for this movie is still a bit “hmmm”.
So despite being basically buddies and respecting one another in Zeta Char and Amuro are enemies again. I get that they wanted this to be the final conflict to end out their rivalry but some of Char’s motivations are really suspect. Like Lalah Sune, in Zeta he seemed to be past it and forgave Amuro. Oh yeah and wtf happened with Amuro being afraid to go into space?
I could buy that Char wants to re-establish Zeon and I know he’s a “Newtype fanboy” as Hamon would put it and he always believed strongly in space emmigration but to go from understanding mentor/political figure in Zeta(even though he had some questionable tendencies still) to genocidal maniac in this is just too big a logic jump.
And I guess that’s my biggest complaint is that it doesn’t particularly reward you for following the UC timeline and Char and Amuro’s rivalry.
-And man fuck Quess and Hathaway. They get way, way too much screen time.
+Other than that it was a tight, well paced movie. Good for a quick action, space battle fix.
+There’s a very brief shot of digital animation for one of the colonies. It actually looked really good but I didn’t expect it at all.
+Lol I have heard the phrase “their souls were tied down by Earth’s gravity” so much that it’s lost all meaning at this point.
+Holy shit the mecha designs in this are ace. The Sazabi and Jagd Doga being particular highlights. Even the normal suits like the Jeagan and Geara Doga were really cool.
+The last fight between Char and Amuro is suitably epic. Even though my favourite Gundam rivalry is still Kamille and Jerid.
+Slaps=4. Ah its great to have Bright back.

Final Verdict: Godspeed Quattro Bajeena/3

Macross Do you Remember Love?

+First off id say this movie feels like a love letter to fans of the original series. Kind of a bonus “here’s something awesome.” As a result I don’t think you should watch it in place of the original series (even though it is fairly distinct in its own right.) but rather in conjunction with it. Ultimately I think the tv series is the richer, more rewarding series. But that’s not to dismiss what is a very good movie still.
+Lavishly detailed and holy god the scale of the fights is through the roof. If you want mechs doing cool things, this movie will please you.
+Lol the fact that the Zentradi are now so grotesque and realistically detailed makes their reactions to “culture” even funnier.
+-The movie has a blistering pace. I mean they blitz through a lot as fast as humanly possible. Which is good/a problem. For one, you really need at least some understanding of the original series because the movie aint too interested in exposition, context or setting up character relationships (the secondary characters get shafted the hardest, understandably so but still. Like the movie never really explains what Protoculture is/Why Minmay is the idol of Macross/or what the Macross itself actually is. I was fine since the original series let me fill in the gaps but id say it would be very confusing for a first-timer.
-Another problem of the pacing is that it somewhat robs the emotional impact of scenes like
Focker’s death
, y
ou know who cares in the movie since ive only seen him in two scenes
. And the love triangle, again it’s just blown through at mach speed so it’s hard to really grasp the characters relationships/emotions.
+Slap=2. Wait…what? That’s gimmick infringement brother!
+So yeah id still recommend it if you want to start with an early Macross but don’t want to commit to a 36 episode series. It boils down some of the elements that make SDF great and throws amazing production on top of it, so it’s a big win.

Final Verdict: EVIL SLAYERS
SLAYERS, SLAYERS
Shao pai long IS A VERY MESSIAH/10
---------------
Lol I should really watch some of this season’s sows but I couldn’t be fecked. Unless your show has a big robit in it, chances are low that ill watch it atm.

From the Spring, I'd say Re:Zero, Kiznaiver and Tanaka-kun.

John Blade

What a great way to finish Nagisa arch. It look like the surprise of finding of what her dad use to do literally force Nagisa in a situation of depression which didn't work well when she have to be her acting. Thank god her dad snap her back to reality and make her realize her dream is the same as their dream and basically want her to do well in her first acting drama shot.

Thanks god she manage to finish what she suppose to do with the help for her family and also Tomoya. Also, love the final scene when Tomoya and Nagisa is alone by themselves and Tomoya confess his love to her which we all know is going to happen as how much their help together from the beginning to now. A great way to end this episode.

Lastly, you got to see the full scene of the mysterious girl with the robot and have to say, it's actually not bad and like that we got to see how it end which give you hope they is something after everything is over.

Line_HTX

Please go with Flying Witch and Kiznaiver.

Cornbread78

What a great way to finish Nagisa arch. It look like the surprise of finding of what her dad use to do literally force Nagisa in a situation of depression which didn't work well when she have to be her acting. Thank god her dad snap her back to reality and make her realize her dream is the same as their dream and basically want her to do well in her first acting drama shot.

Thanks god she manage to finish what she suppose to do with the help for her family and also Tomoya. Also, love the final scene when Tomoya and Nagisa is alone by themselves and Tomoya confess his love to her which we all know is going to happen as how much their help together from the beginning to now. A great way to end this episode.

Lastly, you got to see the full scene of the mysterious girl with the robot and have to say, it's actually not bad and like that we got to see how it end which give you hope they is something after everything is over.

There it is. That scene with Akio is powerful and speaks clearly to real life feelings of any parent. One of my favorite scenes in the show.

One reason Akio and Sanea are the best parents in anime. You will see the #1 reason when you get into After Story.

And yeah, you haven't seen anything yet. It gets better.

Psycho-Pass: The Movie
akane.jpg

So the Psycho-Pass movie feels like Gen Urobuchi sat down, watched season 2, and said to his team "Okay, that was terrible, but what if we did it again, but good?" Now that sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I'm glad to say the movie is pretty solid. It's not gonna win you over if you don't like the series to be certain, but Akane feels like an actual leading character this time around, instead of a empty cypher to explore the nature of society. It still has the rather forceful writing the series is known for, but it manages to be pretty succinct in its points. I will say for a Production I.G work, the movie isn't terribly attractive, and is even kind of ugly at times. Some of the CG looks good (Spider tanks!), but the CG backgrounds often look off. I was never bored throughout the 2 hour runtime, because the movie moves a decent click. The fight choreography is on point, but the animation in the fight scenes varies wildly across the film. The movie ends basically promising more in the future, and after this outing, I think the series is back on the right track.

Oh, and one of the bad guys is basically Jax from Mortal Kombat, but he probably wasn't fat as a kid.

Also, Mika is in it, and to my genuine surprise
remains unexploded throughout.
Something the next installment can fix.

Psycho-Pass: The Movie
akane.jpg

So the Psycho-Pass movie feels like Gen Urobuchi sat down, watched season 2, and said to his team "Okay, that was terrible, but what if we did it again, but good?" Now that sounds like a recipe for disaster, but I'm glad to say the movie is pretty solid. It's not gonna win you over if you don't like the series to be certain, but Akane feels like an actual leading character this time around, instead of a empty cypher to explore the nature of society. It still has the rather forceful writing the series is known for, but it manages to be pretty succinct in its points. I will say for a Production I.G work, the movie isn't terribly attractive, and is even kind of ugly at times. Some of the CG looks good (Spider tanks!), but the CG backgrounds often look off. I was never bored throughout the 2 hour runtime, because the movie moves a decent click. The fight choreography is on point, but the animation in the fight scenes varies wildly across the film. The movie ends basically promising more in the future, and after this outing, I think the series is back on the right track.

Oh, and one of the bad guys is basically Jax from Mortal Kombat, but he probably wasn't fat as a kid.

Also, Mika is in it, and to my genuine surprise
remains unexploded throughout.
Something the next installment can fix.

Exact same feelings as me when I watched it a few months back. This is the true sequel to the series I loved. You just reminded me we have a Psycho-Pass out soon, and that I have it pre-ordered. I can't wait to go back to that world.

Mandelbo

Thanks guys! There's quite a few common ones between your lists so I'll make my way through them first.

Flying Witch is basically the only show I watched from last season and while it's certainly not for everyone (it's *very* relaxed to the point where some people might find it boring,) it's a fantastic watch with some real heartwarming moments and a great sense of fun and whimsy about it. It might take a few episodes to grow on you, like it did for me, but do give it a go!

Just T

New Game: 3

If it wasn't for the opening I would forget about that other girl. I enjoyed the episode, in games I don't examine them all but I do check out a good bit of the NPCs design. Think Aoba is learning new things and developing well, also think she's going to end up overexerting herself at some point though.

Qualidea Code: 2

Well the characters weren't as annoying as the first episode but for the show itself it doesn't seem to have enough to keep my attention, it's kinda just too bland so not sure if I'll keep watching this one.

Orange 2

The music in this episode was often mixed to be louder than the dialogue. I'm not sure if that was intentional or not; judging by the credits and the unpolished nature of much of the animation, this episode had a very messy production. Crediting "Telecom Direction Club" for episode direction assistance is the sort of thing I can't say I've seen before.

In general, a lot of things about this show feel weird. Hamasaki is doing unusual things with the framing and pacing, most obvious in the very jittery editing of a lot of scenes where there will be extremely quick cuts, some shots not even lingering for a full second. This makes it compelling to watch, since I'm curious to see what Hamasaki will do with this material, but it also makes it uncomfortable to watch, since there is frequently a feeling of unease even when the characters are laughing and seeming to enjoy themselves. There's a sense of their lives being fragile - of the good times sweeping past faster than any of them can register - and perhaps that is what Hamasaki is going for, considering the themes of death and suicide that Kakeru is caught up in. Naho's character is a bit frustrating to watch, in the sense that she's painfully realistic. We often think "If I was able to do things over again I would make different choices", but even if we knew the future would we be able in the immediate moment to change? Thought-provoking question.

The only thing that will bother me in Orange is if she is doing this, saving Kakeru because all this time even now as a married woman with a child, she still likes him. I'm hoping this is more of a situation in which she is guiding her younger self as she would another child, telling her to pursue her love at the time, and knowing that along the way even if Kakeru was alive she would fall for her current husband.

Cornbread78

Cowboy Bebop ep.1
Well, from one vlassic to the next. The jazzy opening along with the jaz influenced background music reminded me of some of those 80's/90's spy flicks. Spike seams like he will be a fun character to follow around as he catches baddies and the action sequences should be fun. I mean, a few things surprised me this episode, which I wasn't expecting: First of all, she wasn't prego, it was
just all the drugs
2) she didn't end up with Spike at the end, 3) she busted a cap in
her psychotic boyfriends head, then killed herself
Well, at least he got the bounty money still. Either way, good stuff, this shoukd be fun.

Oh, and yes, English dub and my buddy is psyched, kol.

Szadek

Berserk -Ep. 10
Turns out Guts is a really terrible Hitman player. His rating for this mission has to be dreadful.
I don't have much else to say, except that Griffith is still awesome.

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep.14
Apparently, I missed last weeks episode while on vacation. It was a recap episode tgat showed off the new OP/ED primarily, but I lijed the structure they used to run through the previous material and set things up for tgd future. Tgey kept thd tobe light and I'm looking forward to seeing where tgd show goes this second cour.

Diamond is Unbreakable 13

It is hilarious that a battle shounen series has an episode devoted to finding an invisible baby, dealing with invisible poop, buying baby supplies, putting makeup on the baby, and then trying to keep the baby from turning everything around her invisible. Most such series wouldn't dare to feature something so unusual. Araki is truly a cut above.

Clov

I've been going through Fantastic Children very slowly since video games have taken up a lot of my free time (finished ZTD last week, now I'm working on TMS). I finished episode 12, and... wow. Such a fantastic, tragic episode. It ended so perfectly!

John Blade

Well...if they is a way to make it more fun to see how Nagisa and Tomoya react knowing now they're lover each other, this might be it. Got to see this two love birds in odd situation when Mei try to get them together for a date which didn't work as well till the end. I am very disappointed in this final episode of this show as both Nagisa and Tomoya didn't kiss at the end. You think they can do it now based on how much they know each other. Well.....at least they can hold hand which is a good step.

The whole Tomoya and Youhei dream or Youhei and Mei dream is fun to watch as you got to see from Tomoya though of what he think Mei was talking about. Man....they pull the naughty stuff quite easily here.

Overall, like the comedic ending as it ease off all the dramatic end we got from the last episode (not saying it's a bad thing but sometime I like fun ending to ease all the tension).

NeonZ

Gundam Char’s Counterattack
Oh yeah and wtf happened with Amuro being afraid to go into space?

In ZZ, they mention that he went back to fight in space when the main cast gets to Earth, in order to explain why he isn't around. So, yeah, out of screen development. There's also an exposition dump near the ending about how Char is plotting something, without Char ever being on screen aside from the opening.

Line_HTX

Cowboy Bebop ep.1

Well, from one vlassic to the next. The jazzy opening along with the jaz influenced background music reminded me of some of those 80's/90's spy flicks. Spike seams like he will be a fun character to follow around as he catches baddies and the action sequences should be fun. I mean, a few things surprised me this episode, which I wasn't expecting: First of all, she wasn't prego, it was
just all the drugs
2) she didn't end up with Spike at the end, 3) she busted a cap in
her psychotic boyfriends head, then killed herself
Well, at least he got the bounty money still. Either way, good stuff, this shoukd be fun.

Oh, and yes, English dub and my buddy is psyched, lol.

Yes, you redeemed yourself from the Brotherhood debacle.

>:p

Cornbread78

Cowboy Bebop ep.2
"Can't we just salt him and eat him" lolololololol. I know this is an older show, but it's funny how stereotypical the Eng voices are for the characters. Got a few chuckles on the voices. Either way, it was an entertaing episode and hopefully he figures it out that the dog is worth money...

The only thing that will bother me in Orange is if she is doing this, saving Kakeru because all this time even now as a married woman with a child, she still likes him. I'm hoping this is more of a situation in which she is guiding her younger self as she would another child, telling her to pursue her love at the time, and knowing that along the way even if Kakeru was alive she would fall for her current husband.

Yes, pretty much everyone has rightly singled that out as a curious aspect of this "time travel" plot. It'll be interesting to see how the story ends up handling it.

Berserk -Ep. 10
Turns out Guts is a really terrible Hitman player. His rating for this mission has to be dreadful.

Heh. Really, relying on Guts for a stealth mission was not the best move by Griffith; Guts is a very straightforward person who doesn't have the ability to sneak around in the shadows and deceive others.

I've been going through Fantastic Children very slowly since video games have taken up a lot of my free time (finished ZTD last week, now I'm working on TMS). I finished episode 12, and... wow. Such a fantastic, tragic episode. It ended so perfectly!

As far as tragedy goes, you haven't seen anything yet.

Line_HTX

That reminds me, have you seen Big O before, Kiritobread? I think you'll like that one too since it was on OG Toonami years ago.

Cornbread78

Well...if they is a way to make it more fun to see how Nagisa and Tomoya react knowing now they're lover each other, this might be it. Got to see this two love birds in odd situation when Mei try to get them together for a date which didn't work as well till the end. I am very disappointed in this final episode of this show as both Nagisa and Tomoya didn't kiss at the end. You think they can do it now based on how much they know each other. Well.....at least they can hold hand which is a good step.

The whole Tomoya and Youhei dream or Youhei and Mei dream is fun to watch as you got to see from Tomoya though of what he think Mei was talking about. Man....they pull the naughty stuff quite easily here.

Overall, like the comedic ending as it ease off all the dramatic end we got from the last episode (not saying it's a bad thing but sometime I like fun ending to ease all the tension).

Oh, don't worry about that at all, just go right into After Story. You can watch the Tomoyo alt. ending if you want as it is kinda cute, but yeah, keep going into After Story since it's a direct continuation with no timeskip..

Yes, you redeemed yourself from the Brotherhood debacle.

>:p

Lol, it's pretty funny.

John Blade

clannad-wallpaper-6.jpg

Now, I am done with the 1st season, I guess I can put out my impression for it. To tell the truth, the big hype for this show is something you can't really just avoid it. So many people keep saying great thing about this show to the point you wonder if people just hype the show because they never see this type of show before in Japanese animation. To tell the truth, I don't have the full answer as I am halfway of the entire series. I would say this, I am very entertain during the 1st season even with the minor issue this season have.

One of the bigger strength which I can gather from this show is how it effect the audience emotionally when their watch it. Like literally, the whole show have so much tragic flashback or an incident which trigger something emotional from almost all the main and secondary characters you follow. From this, you got to see how each characters react from it and it can be mix. With so much emotional backlogged, not all will affect the audience who are watching the show and this is the same as me. I guess this might also come to the characters personalities and how much time they spend on them. Will go back to this later on under the arch story they use.

Characters development might be another strength this show have. You got to know all the main characters and almost all the secondary characters in the show mostly coming from story arch. This style of telling a story isn't something you see too often in anime as most of the time, characters development spread out during the entire show. Here they do it in arch which you just follow one of the main characters and try to develop it much more than other characters for a bit. You see this more in Japan visual novel game which is where the game is started so it make sense it follow the arch style. I don't really hate it as you got to know more of the main characters while at the same time, help develop the other MC of the show based on how they handle the situation. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work for all from when I am watching.

A good example is Fuuko arch. As a characters, you feel like she is a bit annoying during the show who just come in randomly. she have one of the better arch as they spend quite a bit of episode toward her when she want to accomplish her wish is to see her older sister wedding.As for the other arch, they do the job fine but somehow, it didn't hit me as much as her and Nagisa arch. Like Kotomi arch even though it's heart warming, it didn't really affect me as much as her personalities is something which didn't do much to me. You can say the same when Nagisa is out of the picture for a bit and almost all the girl have some sort of triangle love between him. It's fun to watch but you kinda know Tomoya have already set himself toward Nagisa. Still, even with this issue, all the characters development is done well so you know them more than a 2D characters personalities which you see in most anime.

Another thing which I touch a bit is the animation. Those background animation still look beautiful even today. It look beautiful and nice to see when they show it and make you realize how much time they put into it. As for the character animation, it still look good but I have a feeling some people might not like the characters eye which is big for female characters. For me, didn't really cause any issue.

For the music, it's very good to listen to and when use well, it does help push the scene quite well. I notice this every time they use the much for every sad scene or flashback. Work every time. As for the rest, it work well and match the tone quite a bit. Might need to look into it as I start to like it a bit now.

For now, I am liking it. It have enough stuff which keep me interested in the two main characters in the show, Tomoya and Nagisa as I want to see where it will take them to. I don't know if this show is the best romance show to watch as it come down if you love this style of Japanese drama romance or if you want some sort of romance which is more realistic. If you like typical Japanese drama romance, then this is the show you might like.

I am kinda brain death here so, I might stop typing stuff. I guess if they is enough discussion, I might post more stuff I like for this season. Either way, liking it so far and will move on to the special OVA or go direct to the After Story.

My Hero Academia 12 dubbed

Maaan this anime really was amazing. Christopher Sabat's PLUS ULTRA was so on point it was perfect.

I will buy 3 copies funimation thanks!

D.Gray-Man Hallow episode 3
This was a good ending to this Phantom Thief G arc, which I liked more than I remember when I read the manga chapters. Timothy's powers are pretty cool. There were some awkward moments of comedy art style shifts where it didn't seem appropriate (it was like that in the manga too).

If you don't recall, the mangaka of D.Gray-Man was accused of plagiarism online for certain panels, and one of them was the hand of the guy that sucked in the level 3 akuma. I believe they changed the design for the anime. Originally, people complained that it looked too much like art from the Death Note artist, I believe.

Later manga spoilers:
It's sad seeing all of this emphasis on Timothy and his powers being kept in this anime adaptation, because the manga does fuck all with it.

re zero 13

subaru is a fucking dumbass and i'd rather watch any of the other candidates in the main role

but its good emilia ethered his soul into oblivion at the end there, drown in your despair you shitlord

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom