• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.Episode 14 Beachside Summer Story
Cn22Y7pW8AApofW.jpg:small

He really is, great beach episode.

Hairo butt always.

Cornbread78

Qualidea ep.2
Some ok comedy in this one, but the pacing was horrible and it felt scattered as hell. I'll give it 1 more ep., but I'll prob just drop it.

Drakengard 1

actually more self deprecating and audience hating then anime

i think the final boss may be the most pissed off ive ever been in my entire life

Aki-at

Kuromokuro - 3

I continue to be surprised how much I enjoy this show. I guess it helps that I always enjoy stories that have a character from another era arrive in the present day but there's still a bit more that I continue to like about the series such as the characters and their different mannerism showing as well as their designs.

Drakengard 1

i think the final boss may be the most pissed off ive ever been in my entire life

Which final boss? Child, dragon,
sister?!?

The joke is each final boss pisses you off even more.

Aki-at

Lol, I just tweeted a pic of it out. I've never seen one that big before.

https://imgur.com/Kzdu4o7

I can't figure out how to get the posting link from the mobile app. Lol.

Oh shit Cornbread get far away from it and keep your windows SHUT, those things are dangerous and have a strong liking to mucus and going up nostrils.

I kid I kid it looks like a polyphemus moth, they're harmless. This one seems pretty beat up though, poor thing :(

Cornbread78

Oh shit Cornbread get far away from it and keep your windows SHUT, those things are dangerous and have a strong liking to mucus and going up nostrils.

I kid I kid it looks like a polyphemus moth, they're harmless. This one seems pretty beat up though, poor thing :(

Maybe, it just doesn't have the second set of "eyes" on it's hind wings. I've just never seen one that size up here before, lol.

Line_HTX

New Game! 02

Hifumi's screensaver is a rotating sake, lol

The Director is very sneaky stealing all the meat at the party, lmao

The drink that Aoba ordered was probably her first strong drink, like how I had my first strong drink in Taiwan when 18 was the legal age over there, ROFL

Baalzebup

Drakengard 1

The boss itself or what follows after you beat it? :D
I've been a fan the works of Yoko Taro & co ever since I played Drakengard. That interview snippet of him saying the work with Platinum is leaving him with more free time, which he then spends drinking (which is ok because he makes better games when drunk) was a riot.

Vote for your favorite anime location to go to in Japan ;P
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...to-pick-88-japan-pilgrimage-spots-from-manga/

Comic book publisher Kadokawa Corp. will hold a vote on 88 top spots chosen from hundreds of scenes in the anime and manga it publishes to promote Japanese tourism, Chairman Tsuguhiko Kadokawa said in Hong Kong on Wednesday.

Announcing the online voting event at the annual Hong Kong Book Fair, Kadokawa said Japan is among the most favored tourism destinations for Hong Kong travelers and that he hopes the chosen spots will draw more visitors to the actual spots featured in the titles.

“If you would like your favorite spots to be one of the 88 pilgrimages, vote now!” he said, adding that the results will be released by the magazine by the end of year.

Voting site:
http://animetourism88.com/en/

Szadek

Heh. Really, relying on Guts for a stealth mission was not the best move by Griffith; Guts is a very straightforward person who doesn't have the ability to sneak around in the shadows and deceive others.
I get that he picked someone he can trust blindly, but Casca seems like a better fit for the job.
Although, if anyone sees her it would be really easy to figure out who did it.

Shirbako - Ep 14
Was there always a Kero-chan plush in the background?
Anyway, watching 3 grown men fighting about which girl should get the VA job with increasingly stupid arguments was surprisingly entertaining.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
While attending an expo talk about visiting Japan, one of the speakers brought up the subject of people visiting places because they appear in anime/mange (or as he called it "pop culture") and the places that take full advantage of this. His talk focused on Hokkaido though since he was doing a study on this for the university.

My first thought was indeed, "hey, this is what that Mike guy does!"

Jintor

i can think of two reasons for 'pilgrimages'. The first is to do with the human familiarity and sense of space and trying to get that from media other than direct experience. The second is the idea that things experienced in a fictional context can exist in reality is and remains fascinating.

I didn't really do a lot of pilgrimaging while I was here, but of what I did I really enjoyed the walk to the lookout point in Uji.

While attending an expo talk about visiting Japan, one of the speakers brought up the subject of people visiting places because they appear in anime/mange (or as he called it "pop culture") and the places that take full advantage of this. His talk focused on Hokkaido though since he was doing a study on this for the university.

My first thought was indeed, "hey, this is what that Mike guy does!"

Somebody working with Philip Seaton and Takayoshi Yamamura then.

Pundere

Taboo Tattoo 3
Will someone get the little blond girl some pants, she spent most of the episode half-naked. Childhood friend got a tat as expected and the villain team just has a capybara hanging around their house which is pretty cool I guess.

Hybrid X Heart 3
You don't understand, I'm grabbing ya titties to save your life!

This show is fucking stupid.

pbayne

Lol.

He needs to watch Clannad After Story next.

Hmm this seems like a threat/an order. Does After Story have mechs in it?
Fuck i guess there is that robot thing in Clannad.

Lol ill probably get to it some day but ive made the regrettable life choice to get through Gundam and Macross atm (GunCross).
Plus ive picked up the awful habit of starting 50+ episode shows all at once like Kaleido Star, Smile Precure and Gundam "Ill Kill Ya" edition and then making no progress on any of them.

In ZZ, they mention that he went back to fight in space when the main cast gets to Earth, in order to explain why he isn't around. So, yeah, out of screen development. There's also an exposition dump near the ending about how Char is plotting something, without Char ever being on screen aside from the opening.

I should watch ZZ just to see what Hamon Karn and Mineva Zabi does in it and
to see vegetable state Kamille
. Ive heard it also has the greatest Newtype pilot in the entire franchise, someone even better than Jesus Yamato.

Qurupeke

Macross F 7-11
Wow. The hate is real and Ranka just can't catch a break. Episode 8 was horrible. They were constantly making fun of her.

"Ranka is a rising pop star. Let's have her start by being part of the promotion on a random grocery store while she constantly gets reminded of how awesome Sheryl is."
"Ranka will make her first appearance on the TV. Let's have this show get canceled because of Sheryl."
"Ranka will join the school and she'll get to be closer to Alto. Let's have Sheryl join too and completely overshadow her. Oh, and more Alto and Sheryl scenes."

Thankfully, her situation changed on 10, easily the best episode, but she just has no chance of ending up with Alto now. The dream is dead.

Anyway, I actually have kind of mixed feelings so far. The SoL aspects of the show just don't mix up well with the space fights. It seems there is a slow build up for Ranka and Sheryl's part on the whole Vajra story, but their involvement has been minimal for now. And I dislike the school, the characters are more or less adults, it feels shoehorned and it just wastes screen time that could be given to cool characters like Onii-chan Lee.

Szadek

Hybrid X Heart 3
You don't understand, I'm grabbing ya titties to save your life!

This show is fucking stupid.
That line never worked for me!

Shirobako - Ep. 16
Too bad that this isn't real:
You tell them, Goth-Loli-sama. She really shined in this episode.
Someone had to help the poor girl out.

Also, fuck that editor.

Cornbread78

Hmm this seems like a threat/an order. Does After Story have mechs in it?
Fuck i guess there is that robot thing in Clannad.

Lol ill probably get to it some day but

22 episodes left with the best stuff still to come; just sayin'. Once you hit ep.15, it's not like you could stop watching, even if you wanted to, lol.

Oh well, carry on. Hopefully, it's sooner than later though, lol.

Mailbox

I wonder how some people will react after episode 5 of Sweetness & Lightning. Reading over Chapter 5 again, idk how some people are gonna react given some people's expectations :S hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Cornbread78

I wonder how some people will react after episode 5 of Sweetness & Lightning. Reading over Chapter 5 again, idk how some people are gonna react given some people's expectations :S hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Mommy comes back for dinner in her sailor uniform and they hook up for a date night?

Quasar

Macross F 7-11
Wow. The hate is real and Ranka just can't catch a break. Episode 8 was horrible. They were constantly making fun of her.

"Ranka is a rising pop star. Let's have her start by being part of the promotion on a random grocery store while she constantly gets reminded of how awesome Sheryl is."
"Ranka will make her first appearance on the TV. Let's have this show get canceled because of Sheryl."
"Ranka will join the school and she'll get to be closer to Alto. Let's have Sheryl join too and completely overshadow her. Oh, and more Alto and Sheryl scenes.".

A favourite episode of mine, that :)

sonicmj1

Now, I am done with the 1st season, I guess I can put out my impression for it. To tell the truth, the big hype for this show is something you can't really just avoid it. So many people keep saying great thing about this show to the point you wonder if people just hype the show because they never see this type of show before in Japanese animation. To tell the truth, I don't have the full answer as I am halfway of the entire series. I would say this, I am very entertain during the 1st season even with the minor issue this season have.

One of the bigger strength which I can gather from this show is how it effect the audience emotionally when their watch it. Like literally, the whole show have so much tragic flashback or an incident which trigger something emotional from almost all the main and secondary characters you follow. From this, you got to see how each characters react from it and it can be mix. With so much emotional backlogged, not all will affect the audience who are watching the show and this is the same as me. I guess this might also come to the characters personalities and how much time they spend on them. Will go back to this later on under the arch story they use.

Characters development might be another strength this show have. You got to know all the main characters and almost all the secondary characters in the show mostly coming from story arch. This style of telling a story isn't something you see too often in anime as most of the time, characters development spread out during the entire show. Here they do it in arch which you just follow one of the main characters and try to develop it much more than other characters for a bit. You see this more in Japan visual novel game which is where the game is started so it make sense it follow the arch style. I don't really hate it as you got to know more of the main characters while at the same time, help develop the other MC of the show based on how they handle the situation. Unfortunately, it doesn't really work for all from when I am watching.

A good example is Fuuko arch. As a characters, you feel like she is a bit annoying during the show who just come in randomly. she have one of the better arch as they spend quite a bit of episode toward her when she want to accomplish her wish is to see her older sister wedding.As for the other arch, they do the job fine but somehow, it didn't hit me as much as her and Nagisa arch. Like Kotomi arch even though it's heart warming, it didn't really affect me as much as her personalities is something which didn't do much to me. You can say the same when Nagisa is out of the picture for a bit and almost all the girl have some sort of triangle love between him. It's fun to watch but you kinda know Tomoya have already set himself toward Nagisa. Still, even with this issue, all the characters development is done well so you know them more than a 2D characters personalities which you see in most anime.

Another thing which I touch a bit is the animation. Those background animation still look beautiful even today. It look beautiful and nice to see when they show it and make you realize how much time they put into it. As for the character animation, it still look good but I have a feeling some people might not like the characters eye which is big for female characters. For me, didn't really cause any issue.

For the music, it's very good to listen to and when use well, it does help push the scene quite well. I notice this every time they use the much for every sad scene or flashback. Work every time. As for the rest, it work well and match the tone quite a bit. Might need to look into it as I start to like it a bit now.

For now, I am liking it. It have enough stuff which keep me interested in the two main characters in the show, Tomoya and Nagisa as I want to see where it will take them to. I don't know if this show is the best romance show to watch as it come down if you love this style of Japanese drama romance or if you want some sort of romance which is more realistic. If you like typical Japanese drama romance, then this is the show you might like.

I am kinda brain death here so, I might stop typing stuff. I guess if they is enough discussion, I might post more stuff I like for this season. Either way, liking it so far and will move on to the special OVA or go direct to the After Story.

I'm glad you're finding Clannad to be a positive experience. I didn't enjoy the first season, but hey, that's me. A number of the weaknesses you pointed out with the show affected me much more strongly. I also often find the show's over-the-top melodrama to be more manipulative than moving.

Anyways, After Story has its share of weak arcs (as well as other big negatives), but it has a stronger focus on Tomoya and his relationship with Nagisa, and the show becomes better for it. More of it is like what you saw with Nagisa's arc at the end, where the drama and stakes are more deeply rooted in character motivation and psychology as opposed to a tragic backstory. Even for me, it reached some incredible highs.

Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya 3rei! 03

Nice fight scenes. Good guys getting wrecked and it wouldn't be the Fate universe if the bad guy didn't let the good guys get away because of some stupid reasoning.

Taboo Tattoo 03

Maybe I mis-read but it seems to me the copy tattoos have one very good advantage over real tattoos. Bandaged eye kitten was pretty cute.

John Blade

10605.jpg

It's in the 1st season blu ray disc and just want to get it done before I go to the After Story.

A very touching OVA which you follow Tomoyo and Tomoya relationship during the whole school year till they graduate. Still a very odd couple as Tomoyo development in the 1st season is very good but they isn't really any strong connection between her and Tomoya even though they is a hint she might have some feeling toward him. Guess, this is for Tomoyo fans who want to have a chance to see this happen.

Basically, Tomoyo and Tomoya met and have feeling toward each other as the other female characters is absent. Unfortunately, this relationship didn't last too long when she won to become Student Council President and her responsibility is took over her time. Also, rumor and people who don't want Tomoya to be with her eventually make him to break the relationship up. This cause a minor rift which Tomoya have to literally try to stand up by himself without some help from Tomoyo. In a way, it help him push out from his issue to be someone even though it isn't much.

The final conclusion is even their break up, Tomoyo still have feeling toward Tomoya and keep watching him from the far and see how much he have change during the time. I guess knowing how much successful Tomoyo is, he feel like he is a burden to her to accomplish her dream of what she can do but reality all she want to do is be with him all alone. For this, both realize they're still in love of each other and in a way reconcile and try again to be lover which they always want to do in the beginning.

The story isn't crazy to talk about really as it's the typical Japanese romance drama style you see now. Still, it does pull all the right stuff so, you can feel the emotional side of both characters of the show. The scene where Tomoyo speak in English is really bad to watch but I guess the Japanese audience might not notice it.

I have to say, the ending scene might be one of the stronger point of the episode as you got to hear the emotional talk from Tomoyo of what she feel toward Tomoya.

Overall, a nice touching OVA to watch if you're a Tomoyo fans.

Cornbread78

It's in the 1st season blu ray disc and just want to get it done before I go to the After Story.
A very touching OVA which you follow Tomoyo and Tomoya relationship
Overall, a nice touching OVA to watch if you're a Tomoyo fans.

It's definitely the better of the two OVAs and the ending scene is quite nice to watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom