• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2016 |OT| Makes Me Happy When Skies Are Grey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eumi

This was a fun watch but honestly they need to hurry up and destroy these kids. I'm holding my breath waiting for the shit to go down and it just isn't happening. Although I suppose that's the point, they're building suspense.

Chiaki has to die right? She seems to be the only ray of light in hajime's life so I imagine she can't be there for the transformation. Maybe they mentioned it in the game and I forgot, but
it makes sense that she's the AI if all the characters adored her.

Still amazed by how alright these shows have been. Hell, they're even using this one to give more character moments to the characters in the other one.

Also I hadn't thought about how we were probably going to meet natsumi. She could actually be pretty fun, although considering the tone of that shot I imagine she's probably gonna be more depressing than fun.

Where the fuck is Junko at though? I'm really looking forward to seeing how she acts when not in supervillain mode.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
First attack immunity: The first time an attack is performed at Reinhardt, it always misses.
Preceding attack immunity: The second attack and all following attacks misses him

Lmao.

This is probabaly late and been covered by somebody else looking into Re: Zero but I thought it was interesting.

Reinhart's blessings:

So how exactly does someone beat him? I haven't seen a characer power list so overdone since Medeka Box's.

tumblr_inline_o1pd45HKwz1su8wui_500.gif

This is probabaly late and been covered by somebody else looking into Re: Zero but I thought it was interesting.

Reinhardt's blessings:

So how exactly does someone beat him? I haven't seen a character power list so overdone since Medeka Box's.

Actually hilarious, but I find I can enjoy these OP OP characters more when they're a side instead of the main.

Master Teacher: His students become successful in learning
Training mastery: Can train not only his body, but also other people, to their maximum potential

Subaru sure squandered what chances he had, but I suppose that is to be expected from the master of fuck-ups.

Even glorious Onii-sama doesn't have these powers:

Sodium knowledge: He will never get salt and sugar mixed up
Taste king: No matter how he cook, the food will come out delicious
Blessing of Frying, Steaming, Boiling = complete mastery of all the cooking methods
Clothes designing: Can design fabulous clothes that will surely start a fad

Checkmate DTL.

Eumi

So I just realised that all I'm watching is Danganronpa, Mob and Jojo, which are all adaptations or sequels of stuff I've seen before.

Since this is the case, is there any good original anime this season? Nothing caught my eye initially but now we're a little ways in I'm hoping someone could sell me on stuff.

Reinhardt's blessings:

So how exactly does someone beat him? I haven't seen a character power list so overdone since Medeka Box's.
Did someone write down a Gary stu fan fiction without meaning to?

Ascheroth

Shin Mazinger Z 1-26 (End)

Started it last year, but did not make it very far for various reasons like it usually is with half the shows I pick up lol.
Jumped back in because of the Let's Watch, and went ahead and finished it all (sorry cornbread).

Now, that was certainly one crazy wild ride. I'll get the bad stuff out of the way first:

- The first episode starts as in medias res as possible
- It likes to jump forwards in time only to fill in the missing parts later occassionaly. At times it works really well, but sometimes it's just annoying.
- There are too many flashbacks to stuff just had happened a bit earlier.

With that done, here's the good stuff:
- It's non-stop crazy action with nearly no downtime at all and looks really good as well.
- The soundtrack is great.
- Baron Ashura is amazing, I really liked how creative the direction was in nearly all scenes he was in.
- The large cast of other characters is also really entertaining. Seriously, everyone and their grandmother is a badass in this show.
- The narrator is the hypest thing ever. His occassional casual 4th wall breaks were fun and there was one time he was so hyped narrating things that he had to take a break the next episode (I assume :p)
- Zeus picking up his severed arm and throwing it towards an enemy while shouting Rocket Punch.
- Many more great Rocket Punches. At least a hundred.
- There are twists left and right and if you think you know what's going to happen next you can bet a twist is getting twisted.

The only other fault was that it was over too soon.
However, the ending tried to be as conclusive as possible at least, and I think it succeeded.
The several plotlines were all appropriately tied up and thankfully the show did not leave us hanging with a sequel tease or just end in the middle of the war.

Battery Episode 2
Cn6JxqCWIAAGLzD.jpg:small

I love Seiha's faith and trust in Takumi even if Go has to remind him constantly and consistently that he goes too far.

Im glad he got to go through his emotional breakdown development this early. Seemed like it had to becoming with everyone trying to put him as their voice to get the person theyre interested in to give up on baseball

phaze

the show did not leave us hanging with a sequel tease or just end in the middle of the war.

Wait what.

Are you talking about Shin Mazinger Z, the 2009 show directed by Imagawa ? aka Baron Ashura's Tale ?

Cause if so then
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

It literally ends
with the baddies that were build up throughout the series, finally emerging and about to whoop MC's and world's ass.
As far as cliffhangers endings go that's one of the more outrageous ones, especially
since most of that was already show in ep 1 IIRC.

Concrete Revolutio has 2D mecha, even if it isn't exclusively focused on them.

At any rate, you have a couple of options. You can either accept CG mecha and so watch things such as Fafner Exodus and Kuromukuro, you can stick to watching the copious numbers of older anime available to satisfy your 2D mecha needs, or you can continue to wring your hands about Regalia not being what you really want.

Concrete Revolutio admittedly has great mecha, though that show is more of a focus on superheroes than mecha, specifically.

I've already accepted well designed CG mecha. I loved Danball Senki, and I plan on checking out Majestic Prince sometime.

I don't think I'd really like Fafner, and I watched Kuromukuro's first episode, and it was okay. The mecha designs in that bother me though.

What I'm looking for is a show that evokes that specific Super Robot spirit in one way or another that also has decently designed robots. A show with a cool-looking MC that loves hamming it up inside his robot and yelling out attack names at the top of his lungs. A show where the awesome-looking robots increasingly do more and more crazy things on a massive scale as the show gets more and more intense. Something that's up there with GaoGaiGar, Gurren Lagann, Getter Robo Armageddon, Shin Mazinger Z, etc.

Regalia has the cool 2D robots and fantastic mecha animation down, but it's severely lacking in that specific Super Robot spirit that I love to see and the characters overall are just bad.

Now my hopes are once again placed on that new Jinraiger thing to see if it can fill that void. Until then I'll certainly be sticking with option number 2.

The several plotlines were all appropriately tied up and thankfully the show did not leave us hanging with a sequel tease or just end in the middle of the war.

Thats kinda exactly how it ended, lol. It's supposed to lead into Shin Great Mazinger, which were still waiting for.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Now watch the Mazinkaiser V.S. The Great General of Darkness OVA.

Ascheroth

Wait what.

Are you talking about Shin Mazinger Z, the 2009 show directed by Imagawa ? aka Baron Ashura's Tale ?

Cause if so then
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif

It literally ends
with the baddies that were build up throughout the series, finally emerging and about to whoop MC's and world's ass.
As far as cliffhangers endings go that's one of the more outrageous ones, especially
since most of that was already show in ep 1 IIRC.

I thought the /s was obvious enough, looks like I'll need to work a bit more on it :p

Cornbread78

Twin Star Exorcist ep.15
fROeczA.jpg

Well, now Mr awesome, welcome back to the show and yes, TY for doing the dirty work. Initially you think he is just being a complete dick, but in reality, he was protecting them in his own way. Rokuro and Benio do need to learn to fight better though, because more times than not, the fail and get outclassed by the big 12 or the bad guys. I actually think that is one of the reasons I really like this show because if is not straight OP time whenever they battle, they have to struggle like hell to squeak out a win... Good stuff again though with some really sad undertones about the whole thing.

Blessing of Frying, Steaming, Boiling = complete mastery of all the cooking methods

Checkmate DTL.

He just has to get miyuki to stop making his meals :(

Also unless someones tastebuds are out of line how does one get salt and sugar mixed up.

phaze

I thought the /s was obvious enough, looks like I'll need to work a bit more on it :p

I'm sorry but jut being reminded of that denoument filled my mind with rage.

And I can absolutely accept nothing but posts filled with disgust and hatred towards that ending.

I'm sorry but jut being reminded of that ended filled my mind with rage.

And I can absolutely accept nothing but posts filled with disgust and hatred towards that ending.

I'm honestly not that mad about it because, if you want some sense of closure, you can watch the
Mazinkaizer V.S. The Great General of Darkness OVA.

You won't see many of the characters from Shin Mazinger, since that show was basically an all new re-imagining of the original Mazinger Z story, but you will feel some sense of closure since its a one shot OVA that tackles the
the Mycane invasion.

And it's freaking awesome.

John Blade

What a great way to start this show then having a baseball game where all the people Tomoya and Nagisa know from the 1st season to come in and play. Nothing too crazy to talk about for the 1st episode really. The same thing you like in the 1st season is here once more. This time, they're all come together to play baseball as a team based on Nagisa dad request.

Other than some comedic scene, the show is fun to watch. Got to see Nagisa and Tomoya develop a bit more here. Also, it look like Tomoya still have issue with his dad as he still don't want him to join in for the game when Nagisa. Guess it's still a bit raw.

Ascheroth

I'm sorry but jut being reminded of that denoument filled my mind with rage.

Honestly I don't mind all that much.
I actually chuckled when I scrubbed through episode 1 again and saw that the beginning up to the episode title was literally right after the final episode, as if Imagawa really wanted to rub into your face.

I'm honestly not that mad about it because, if you want some sense of closure, you can watch the

You won't see many of the characters from Shin Mazinger, since that show was basically an all new re-imagining of the original Mazinger Z story, but you will feel some sense of closure since its a one shot OVA that tackles the
the Mycane invasion.

Oh, it's just a single episode OVA?
In that case I'll probably get to it asap.

Danganronples Dis Pear 02

vFI2wGu.jpg
llxTkkN.jpg
XvD2n2A.jpg

first comes rock

Nagito wins Mario Party because its a 100% bullshit game based on luck, nice

Reinhardt's blessings:

Pfft Ajimu laughs at that list of skills.

Christ on the bike contain yourself.

But yeah magnificent ep that was.

But geee, you went through an entire show in the span of like 5 days. That's gotta be worth a raise in credibility ranking to at least 60%.

The only thing that raises is my depravity meter with how much anime I've been watching lately.
45% and you've got a deal

As far as noses go, this is a show with good enough art direction that I'm mostly not bothered by it. I'm not even sure I like the character designs much but they were put to good use and as a whole this show simply looked rather good.

By the way, this whole octopus sequence is probably my favorite sequence of this show. Too good.

John Blade

Look like I am going to like this Youhei arch right now. This whole fake girlfriend stuff just so Youhei little sister, Mei, don't need to worry about him is just so silly but somehow it just get very interesting as he manage to get Nagisa mom to be his fake girlfriend. Man...just the idea of this is worth the watch as it might take us to a very interesting side as Mei now have someone who is competing for her brother love. Also, Nagisa father didn't know about this whole setup which might turn very nasty if he found out. This is getting interesting.

Just a side note, the short story of the robot and the girl is back again and it look like it's continue the story. I guess it's not done yet and might get important later in this show. Also, the entire time Youhei trying to get a fake girlfriend is fun to watch of the style of reject he got from them.

phaze

the Mycane invasion.

I see ya peddling your wares and I ain't buyin !

The only thing that raises is my depravity meter with how much anime I've been watching lately.
45% and you've got a deal

As far as noses go, this is a show with good enough art direction that I'm mostly not bothered by it. I'm not even sure I like the character designs much but they were put to good use and as a whole this show simply looked rather good.

By the way, this whole octopus sequence is probably my favorite sequence of this show. Too good.

I'd have trouble deciding on one, the ending to what was IIRC ep3, pretty much entirety of ep 23 -> Tamaki robot/Tamaki losing it/the crowd reactions in that ep, or just one or two sequences you didn't see if you haven't finished the show yet.

John Blade

Well...the fake girlfriend stuff is fun to watch but it now cause another issue which you notice during the date. This explain from Mei side which show you how much she lover her older brother but hate how he have change for the bad. Doesn't help when Mei and Tomoya pretend to be lover which cause another issue.

I guess this will get turn to something dark and might trigger a situation where Tomoya and Youhei friendship will start to break to the point where they might not be friend anymore if this continue any longer. Do hope this is fix up somehow so Youhei will change for the good and everyone is happy.

A fun episode which is starting to get very serious now.

Ascheroth

Mazinkaiser V.S. The Great General of Darkness

It showed some loosely possible things that could happen after Shin Mazinger Zs perfectly conclusive ending, but overall I thought it wasn't as good.

While it had some cool action scenes, it was lacking Shin Mazinger Zs energy and general campiness, going for a more serious and 'grounded' (as far as that even applies to a Super Robot show lol) vibe.
I blame the missing narratar, the weaker soundtrack and Koujis different VA whose attack name shouting game wasn't as strong for the most part.
The intro song was awesome though.

It also had no Baron Ashura.

T-Rex.

Banned
This was a fun watch but honestly they need to hurry up and destroy these kids. I'm holding my breath waiting for the shit to go down and it just isn't happening. Although I suppose that's the point, they're building suspense.

Chiaki has to die right? She seems to be the only ray of light in hajime's life so I imagine she can't be there for the transformation. Maybe they mentioned it in the game and I forgot, but
it makes sense that she's the AI if all the characters adored her.

Still amazed by how alright these shows have been. Hell, they're even using this one to give more character moments to the characters in the other one.

Also I hadn't thought about how we were probably going to meet natsumi. She could actually be pretty fun, although considering the tone of that shot I imagine she's probably gonna be more depressing than fun.

Where the fuck is Junko at though? I'm really looking forward to seeing how she acts when not in supervillain mode.
DR2 spoilers.
Iirc Junko manipulates Izuru into killing the student council members which triggers The Tragedy so yeah, she ded.

Jarmel

Banned

Reinhardt's blessings:

hahahaha

This might even be past Medaka Box levels.

Checkmate DTL.

"He will never get salt and sugar mixed up."

OK, this has to be a deliberate parody.

Qurupeke

Macross F 12-17
The story moves on and it's finally interesting, Cheryl is on the decline and Ranka continues to rise. The tables have turned and it feels sooo good.

The villains are still terrible, and I doubt they'll get any better, but at least the fights with the insects are cool. I'd like more pilot vs pilot dogfights though, it's definitely lacking that. The latest episode,
with the infinite amount of death flags on Ozma,
had some very emotional moments and Ozma x Cathy is the best pairing, I didn't even know I wanted them together so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom