• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Reading about the Russo-Japanese war........ wow. How much of the manga is pro-nationalist? I realize that we are talking about a book after the war.

In the years 1869–73, the Seikanron ("Conquer Korea Argument") had bitterly divided the Japanese elite between one faction that wanted to conquer Korea immediately vs. another that wanted to wait until Japan was more modernized before embarking on a war to conquer Korea; significantly no-one in the Japanese elite ever accepted the idea that the Koreans had the right to be independent, with only the question of timing dividing the two factions.[9] In much the same way that Europeans used the backwardness of Africa and Asia as a reason for why they had to conquer nations of Africa and Asia, for the Japanese elite the backwardness of China and Korea was proof of the inferiority of those nations, thus giving the Japanese the "right" to conquer them. Inouye Kaoru, the Foreign Minister gave a speech in 1887 saying "What we must do is to transform our empire and our people, make the empire like the countries of Europe and our people like the peoples of Europe", going to say that the Chinese and Koreans had essentially forfeited their right to be independent by not modernizing. Much of the pressure for an aggressive foreign policy in Japan came from below, with the advocates of "people's rights" movement calling for an elected parliament also favoring an ultra-nationalist line that took it for granted the Japanese had the "right" to annex Korea, as the "people's right" movement was led by those who favored invading Korea in the years 1869–73. As part of the modernization process in Japan, Social Darwinian ideas about the "survival of the fittest" were common in Japan from the 1880s onward and many ordinary Japanese resented the heavy taxes imposed by the government to modernize Japan, demanding something tangible like an overseas colony as a reward for their sacrifices. Furthermore, the educational system of Meiji Japan was meant to train the schoolboys to be soldiers when they grew up, and as such, Japanese schools indoctrinated their students into Bushido ("the way of the warrior"), the fierce code of the samurai. Having indoctrinated the younger generations into Bushido, the Meiji elite found themselves faced with a people who clamored for war, and regarded diplomacy as a weakness. The British Japanologist Richard Storry wrote the biggest misconception about Japan in the West was that the Japanese people were the "docile" instruments of the elite, when in fact much of the pressure for Japan's wars from 1894 to 1941 came from below, as ordinary people demanded a "tough" foreign policy, and tended to engage in riots and assassination when foreign policy was perceived to be pusillanimous. Through the Meiji oligarchy refused to allow democracy, they did seek to appropriate some of the demands of the "people's rights" movement by allowing an elected Diet in 1890 (with limited powers and an equally limited franchise) and by pursuing an aggressive foreign policy towards Korea
Seeing Russia as a rival, Japan offered to recognize Russian dominance in Manchuria in exchange for recognition of Korea as being within the Japanese sphere of influence. Russia refused and demanded Korea north of the 39th parallel to be a neutral buffer zone between Russia and Japan. The Japanese government perceived a Russian threat to its plans for expansion into Asia and chose to go to war. After negotiations broke down in 1904, the Japanese Navy opened hostilities by attacking the Russian Eastern Fleet at Port Arthur, China, in a surprise attack.

That attack first with no warning obviously went into the next century.

- most - manga's get shit adaptations.

I agree.

Reading about the Russo-Japanese war........ wow. How much of the manga is pro-nationalist? I realize that we are talking about a book after the war.

It avoids making an opinion on the war itself as much as it can, but it has as much of a pro-nationalist agenda as anyone living in a country will naturally have.

YLiA was definately a beautiful experience from start to finish in music and aestetics. The
letter
scene broke me....

If you like emotional shows, don't forget to give Clannad/After Story, Anohana and Plastic Memories Angel Beats to a lesser extent as well..

Thanks for the suggestions. Clannad is already on my to-watch list, but the animation style is kinda off-putting (to me) and I spoiled myself Anohana by watching the live-action movie adaptation. I'll def add Plastic Memories and Angel Beats to my backlog.

Its not very pro-nationalist. Its a manga about ex-military when Japan had just proven itself to be a first world imperialist military power, so elements are there. But there is also a huge focus on the Ainu culture, and not in an appropriating "White Savior" role, even though Sugimoto is obviously Japanese and not White, you know what I mean. Its not really about the military or the country, its about this group of criminals and their hidden treasure.

It's certainly not an "actually imperialism was good" story

Which is why I tend to enjoy reading manga more than anime adaptations. Although there are cases where the anime is better than the manga. Or if I am just being lazy and not wanting to read...

The secret is that only a small minority of any medium is good. With the vast majority of it being "serviceable". When something good gets translated, it has much higher odds of ended up as something only okay rather than retaining its excellence. It isn't really an issue of anime vs manga. You see the same thing with stellar anime series that get converted to lackluster manga.

I know Tokyo Ghoul's anime hurt you, but I see no reason to believe that seinen manga get worse anime adaptations than shounen/shoujo/josei manga on average.

Tbh Tokyo Ghoul ain't the only anime adaptation that hurt me.

I am salty about Zetman's anime adaptation which is even worse. Although that was 5 years ago lol.

I'm just picking on AquaWateria. :p

image.php

Anyway I hope Golden Kamuy gets a good adaptation because the premise sounds really interesting. Could make a good anime if done well.

Cornbread78

Baccano ep.5-6
This show is seriously fucked up. I need one of those "what I thought I was going to watch"/"what I watched" meme's for this show. The dude up there is legit batshit insane and now we have immortality, hommuculi, demons and blood everywhere.

Cornbread78

Thanks for the suggestions. Clannad is already on my to-watch list, but the animation style is kinda off-putting (to me) and I spoiled myself Anohana by watching the live-action movie adaptation. I'll def add Plastic Memories and Angel Beats to my backlog.

Clannad starts of as a HS romcom drama in S1, then changes focus quite a bit in After Story. I can understand the "bug eye" complaints, but it's a worthwhile experience imo.

Saikano is another good one to get some feels..

Trojita

Knight's & Magic Episodes 1-2

MC has facial hair and sounded like a girl. Was really strange to hear his voice like that. They could have at least voice modulated for that one minute.

I remember what you guys said about this when the first episode aired, and it is absolutely true. Everything about this should be garbage by the description alone, but the earnestness of the mc is so high it makes it watchable. The mech cg's also aren't abhorrent.

But man it must suck to be in classes with him. A genius programmer that already had the mind of an adult got put in your class. Now he's fucking up the curve.

Line_HTX

Kind of wish some of the CR marathon shows on Twitch were in a better timeslot and not in the dead hours of the night before dawn.

Almost as subtle as "Everything from the Abyss returns to the Abyss." They should have had the camera linger on Reg for half a minute before he blinks and goes "What?" because I think some people may have missed it

Nah I think we need a smash cut to Reg rusted and deactivated, covered in moss on one of the lowest levels and Riko deceased alongside him. Otherwise no one could possibly understand what they're trying to say.

Kind of wish some of the CR marathon shows on Twitch were in a better timeslot and not in the dead hours of the night before dawn.

I am curious on what's the chance Crunchyroll may do this marathon thing again.

Man Cross Ange and Code Geass would be a wild ride for Twitch I imagine.

Edit: Heck add Another to it.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
So Golden Kamuy is getting an anime adaptation. It's published in a Seinen magazine.

golden-kamuy-1.jpg

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-31/satoru-noda-golden-kamuy-manga-gets-tv-anime/.119531

Here's the synopsis from MAL.

Sounds interesting.

This is one anime i didn't expect to get made, but here we are...

Golden Kamuy is fucking awesome with capital A.
So, i'm just going to hope a competent director and animator handle this show.

Okay,next we're going to need dungeon meshi and Kaguya sama anime adaptation announcement and this year will be perfect!

New Game!! 3
Drama in my cute show. Oh my, oh my

Princess principal 3
Why is this show good? Man, the action, world building is really cool.

John Blade

Saikano is another good one to get some feels..

Need to go back watching this but knowing how depressed the show is and the situation I am in right now, I am putting this show on hold for now. Which is funny as I own the manga version of this show and didn't have the chance to read it.

Konosuba Season 2 Episode 7

Holy shit at Aqua's puppy face when she was crying. She looked so cute lol. Still good on Kazuma to put in her place. She literally ruins every plan he makes and always makes the situation worse. Still she's a great character and fun to watch especially when she complains and starts acting all smug. Too bad she has shit luck and lost to Kazuma in rock paper scissors. Darkness at it again with her perverted nature by attracting the hawks. I always lol at her behavior.

Also props to Kazuma's voice actor because man the way he is able to change his voice at the right moments makes the shows so enjoyable to watch. The hot spring segment where his voice was monotone was priceless.

I am starting to get sad that I am almost done with season 2 :(

Sterok

Princess Principal 4

So Ange and Princess are deceiving everyone for their own interests. Princess also has to deal with royalty issues. Dorothy is supposed to be wary of Princess, but personally trusts her. Chise is a spy for Japan and isn't necessarily loyal to either side. Beatrice is bully target #1. Lots of different factions and plans brewing in the background of the unseen spy game.

petran79

Banned

Reminds me of Smart-san where Benio's fiancee and other Japanese soldiers took part in the multinational army that was going to suppress the Red Army during the Russian Civil War. He regreted his decision participating in a pointless war.

The more you know about Japanese history the more uncomfortable all these stories about poor little technologically advanced nations menaced by big powers start to feel super uncomfortable. You could make the argument that was Japan's position during the Cold War but it remains a wilful gimlet eyed interpretation of the 100 or so years prior to that.

International politics in anime is simplistic at best and outright nationalist at worst and all too often reflects the victim's narrative that modern Japan tends to tell itself. Of course it doesn't help the debate that there are many mainstream groups in Japan that simply outright deny that Japan did anything wrong, hell there is a controversy right now over the current PM's wife links to a Nippon Kaigi run school and th favours that may have resulted in. NK are monarchist, revisionist head-the-balls who are the equivalent to a Japanese neo-Nazi group but also respectable somehow.

"What Japanese history lessons leave out" - BBC Magazine
http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-21226068

Akio Abe and the NK school - South China Morning Post article
http://www.scmp.com/news/asia/east-...andal-dubious-land-deal-and-hyper-nationalist

With regard to the new anime based on the Russo-Japanese War can I expect a whole lot of "Asia Stands Up For Itself" and not a whole lot of "Swapping One Flavour Of Evil For Another"?
It's certainly not an "actually imperialism was good" story
Well that's something at least, if they were going to make a Japanese soldier's story anime this or WW1 are probaby the only time periods they could do it without just wholesale ignoring atrocity.

Trojita

Holy shit at Aqua's puppy face when she was crying. She looked so cute lol. Still good on Kazuma to put in her place. She literally ruins every plan he makes and always makes the situation worse. Still she's a great character and fun to watch especially when she complains and starts acting all smug. Too bad she has shit luck and lost to Kazuma in rock paper scissors. Darkness at it again with her perverted nature by attracting the hawks. I always lol at her behavior.

Also props to Kazuma's voice actor because man the way he is able to change his voice at the right moments makes the shows so enjoyable to watch. The hot spring segment where his voice was monotone was priceless.

Yes, I am Kazuma.

petran79

Banned
This is one anime i didn't expect to get made, but here we are...

Golden Kamuy is fucking awesome with capital A.
So, i'm just going to hope a competent director and animator handle this show.

Okay,next we're going to need dungeon meshi and Kaguya sama anime adaptation announcement and this year will be perfect!

Read a few chapters. Reminds me of first part of Vinland Saga a little with focus on action. Though I'd hoped for something like Otoyomegatari

Someone else who understands how perfect she is.

LotusHD

Banned
Are the One Piece TV special heart of gold and movie Gold any good if not at least enjoyable?

I think I may bite and buy them.

They are very enjoyable. One Piece Film Gold especially was, it's the first movie where I actually felt like this could've been an actual arc in the manga.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom