• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Looking at the twitch anime marathon selection kinda boggles me why did CR pick selections like Akashic Record or new game? Why not Kono Suba?

duckroll

Because of the Liquid Meth thread? Something something, hill to die on.

The US government is paying out a million bucks in a WRONGFUL DEATH suit, but no, the officers who watched on as a 16 year old kid kills himself taking another sip of liquid meth did NOTHING WRONG! Smdh.

Looking at the twitch anime marathon selection kinda boggles me why did CR pick selections like Akashic Record or new game? Why not Kono Suba?

I think CR only has the rights to stream Konosuba, maybe only on their page.

I think all the shows they've streamed, they have the physical rights to as well.

I think CR only has the rights to stream Konosuba, maybe only on their page.

I think all the shows they've streamed, they have the physical rights to as well.

I think everything except Sound Euphonium.

The US government is paying out a million bucks in a WRONGFUL DEATH suit, but no, the officers who watched on as a 16 year old kid kills himself taking another sip of liquid meth did NOTHING WRONG! Smdh.

Whenever I see people get inevitably banned in the OT threads, I always wonder "Was that really worth digging your hills in on?"

Well I WAS going to watch Red Dragon tonight, but turns out when I picked up the DVD from savers someone had already stolen it out of the case
That's 3 bucks I'm never getting back.
Lesson learned I guess.

So watching Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust instead. Still holds up I think. I love how crazy good this looks, haven't rewatched it in years. Easily one of my favorite early 2000s looking anime.

1upsuper

I come to you all again in search of more recommendations.

All of my time recently listening to Artzie Music and reminiscing about Cyborg 009, Astro Boy, and early Lupin III has gotten me in the mood for some old ass anime. What's some old stuff you like from the 70s and 80s? I don't care if it "holds up" or whatever. I just want cool/fun/interesting and I can handle whatever archaisms there are going on. Thanks!

All of my time recently listening to Artzie Music and reminiscing about Cyborg 009, Astro Boy, and early Lupin III has gotten me in the mood for some old ass anime. What's some old stuff you like from the 70s and 80s? I don't care if it "holds up" or whatever. I just want cool/fun/interesting and I can handle whatever archaisms there are going on. Thanks!

Watch some Zeta Gundam.

Gundam 0083 90s oops.
Gundam 0080
Guyver OVA series, though that dips into the 90s.
Super Dimension Fortress Macross
Patlabor OVA
Patlabor TV Series (That dips into the 90s again)
Is painfully aware all his suggestions, outside of Guyver, are Mecha
Edit: Oh, 1970s Getter Robo, though I dunno how easy that is to find outside of bootleg DVDs I own.
What is wrong with me that before the 90s I know practically nothing that isn't Mecha?
Uh...
Is realizing most anime he likes is from the 90s
Anyway yeah, if you want robots there you go. If you don't.... I guess I'm out lol.

Aim for the Ace
Angel's Egg
Anne of Green Gables
Dirty Pair (TV, Project Eden movie)
Future Boy Conan
Horus: Prince of the Sun
Panda! Go Panda!
Wings of Honneamise

This stuff all holds up.

Narag

VOTOMs
Record of Lodoss War
Space Adventure Cobra
Space Adventure Cobra TV
Arcadia of My Youth
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Urusei Yatsura 2: Beautiful Dreamer
Angel's Egg
and maybe Harmageddon just for the sick visuals.

Cornbread78

School Rumble ep.5-8
4VH6HMZ.png

81PEuDm.png

Ax7pa8Q.png

rriORnR.png

Lol, quite the range in conedy through these episodes. Lets just say that Akira is the only sane one and she knows all.....

These poor idiots are all stupid and its fun to watch them all flounder...

1upsuper

Thanks, everyone! And Valdfellgar, I do like robots, so I'll be sure to check out your stuff. I've heard good and also very weird things about Guyver.

Yu Yu Hakusho 15

Kuwabara is basically the Leorio of this crew.

Well, more like Leorio is the Kuwabara of the Hunter x Hunter crew.

Aim for the Ace!
Mobile Suit Gundam
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket
Aura Battler Dunbine
Space Runaway Ideon + The Ideon: Be Invoked
Fist of the North Star
Touch
Saint Seiya

Quasar

I'm not surprise. People really don't know how to use their critical thinking skills here. If it's not that, it's ranting about this being the end because The Emoji Movie sucked. :p

Well its not like Sony Pictures has had the best record in recent times. And they haven't developed their other streaming properties like Crackle very well.

Personally I'm not sure its even a very good investment. It just leads to them being in a bidding war with Netflix and Amazon for shows.

Thanks, everyone! And Valdfellgar, I do like robots, so I'll be sure to check out your stuff. I've heard good and also very weird things about Guyver.

Yeah Guyver can be a bit weird, it's kinda like if power rangers was more violent and sadistic and edgy. It's pretty fun if you don't take it too seriously.

zulux21

I'm not surprise. People really don't know how to use their critical thinking skills here. If it's not that, it's ranting about this being the end because The Emoji Movie sucked. :p

heck going by the announcement thread most people can't grasp that funimation doesn't own the shows they release.

The Reflection 01

More of a long music video then an actual episode of a TV show but hey it looks really cool.

Also expected more Stan Lee ego stroking but he wasnt even in the first episode

duckroll

Well its not like Sony Pictures has had the best record in recent times. And they haven't developed their other streaming properties like Crackle very well.

Personally I'm not sure its even a very good investment. It just leads to them being in a bidding war with Netflix and Amazon for shows.

I don't think it does. I don't think FUNimation is in any position to have any sort of bidding war for anything, because the game Amazon and Netflix are playing is so far out of their league they are not even competing for the same things. Sony Pictures isn't exactly in that business either so them buying FUNi changes nothing. It's not a bidding war if you are only going after scraps that the two sides who are really fighting don't care for.

Yu Yu Hakusho 16

Stark single-color shots, crazily slanted camera - yep, this is a Shinbo episode alright. This is a really well produced show; I enjoy how this episode just threw out background animation constantly like it was nothing.

Well, more like Leorio is the Kuwabara of the Hunter x Hunter crew.

Point taken.

Painguy

Hey all. Idk if this is the right place or not, but Im looking for recommendations of things to watch. Here is my MAL.

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Nim_nims

Basically what im not looking for is the following trope: 15 yr old highschooler is depressed, and upset that he cant get girlfriend. Randomly gets super powers, and a new female character is introduced that serves no other purpose than to be fan service. Basically Guilty Crown lol. I don't mind too much if its just the highschool thing by itself, but everything after that is annooooooying.

No moe stuff. I prefer for shonen type stuff. Also really hate overtly edgy stuff. Didn't like psychopass cuz it was hella edgy and none of the characters looked the proper age for their position in the show lol.

I know that takes out a lot of stuff lol. Please help :p

Quasar

I don't think it does. I don't think FUNimation is in any position to have any sort of bidding war for anything, because the game Amazon and Netflix are playing is so far out of their league they are not even competing for the same things. Sony Pictures isn't exactly in that business either so them buying FUNi changes nothing. It's not a bidding war if you are only going after scraps that the two sides who are really fighting don't care for.

I guess. But it leads you to have less and less content unless you decide to take part. It is interesting that its Funimation and not Crunchyroll they went after.

It does make me wonder though how long before Amazon or Netflix try and wrest Dragonball away from funimation.

DNAbro

Hey all. Idk if this is the right place or not, but Im looking for recommendations of things to watch. Here is my MAL.

https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Nim_nims

Basically what im not looking for is the following trope: 15 yr old highschooler is depressed, and upset that he cant get girlfriend. Randomly gets super powers, and a new female character is introduced that serves no other purpose than to be fan service. Basically Guilty Crown lol. I don't mind too much if its just the highschool thing by itself, but everything after that is annooooooying.

No moe stuff. I prefer for shonen type stuff. Also really hate overtly edgy stuff. Didn't like psychopass cuz it was hella edgy and none of the characters looked the proper age for their position in the show lol.

I know that takes out a lot of stuff lol. Please help :p

I really wouldn't call psycho pass edgy at all.

Maybe try Kuroko no Basket? It's a pretty fun ride with basically impossible basketball feats.

duckroll

I guess. But it leads you to have less and less content unless you decide to take part. It is interesting that its Funimation and not Crunchyroll they went after.

It does make me wonder though how long before Amazon or Netflix try and wrest Dragonball away from funimation.

No actually it doesn't. Because Amazon and Netflix don't handle home distribution, which is FUNi's main business.

(Go check who distributes House of Cards on blu-ray for example. :p)

Quasar

No actually it doesn't. Because Amazon and Netflix don't handle home distribution, which is FUNi's main business.

(Go check who distributes House of Cards on blu-ray for example. :p)

Well sure if they want to be a physical media company. And just how well will that do as physical media becomes more and more just a collectables market.

Joe Molotov

Gall Force

duckroll

Well sure if they want to be a physical media company. And just how well will that do as physical media becomes more and more just a collectables market.

I mean, that's what they are and that's what Sony Pictures bought. 150 million is kinda... nothing anyway.

Quasar

I mean, that's what they are and that's what Sony Pictures bought.

Just how much revenue does their streaming bring in? Funimation didn't really seem keen on giving up, expanding it all and rebooting the whole thing as Funimation Now. They did double down on the dub market.

Though I guess just like broadcast in Japan they might see that just as advertising for discs.That of course makes their expansion into Australia interesting given the historically tight relationship with Madman. Will they no longer sublicense stuff to Madman and have Sony distribute Funimation discs directly?

I mean, that's what they are and that's what Sony Pictures bought. 150 million is kinda... nothing anyway.

The interesting thing here is that Funimation wasn't just bought by Sony Pictures; they were bought specifically by Sony Pictures Television Networks. That division, best as I can tell, isn't involved in physical media, but distributes shows to television channels in addition to owning various channels and streaming platforms of their own. Sony Pictures Television's executive statement lumped Funimation in with Animax and Kids Station, which are television networks and not physical media publishers as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure why they decided to purchase Funimation, but I can't believe the DVD/BD market had much to do with it.

Quasar

The interesting thing here is that Funimation wasn't just bought by Sony Pictures; they were bought specifically by Sony Pictures Television Networks. That division, best as I can tell, isn't involved in physical media, but distributes shows to television channels in addition to owning various channels and streaming platforms of their own. Sony Pictures Television's executive statement lumped Funimation in with Animax and Kids Station, which are television networks and not physical media publishers as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure why they decided to purchase Funimation, but I can't believe the DVD/BD market had much to do with it.

That division owns Crackle too from what I understood.

A ANN piece on it said:

Sony Pictures Television Networks operates branded linear television and digital networks, including Japanese satellite anime channel Animax and streaming service Crackle. Earlier this year, Sony Pictures Entertainment Japan formed with a joint venture company with Mitsui & Co., the company that owns the majority stake in anime channel Kids Station. The joint venture, AK Holdings, serves as the management company for both Animax and Kids Station, and plans to hold worldwide events to expand the global anime market.

"Around the world, Sony's networks have been major players in the anime space for nearly two decades, and in more recent years we have rapidly increased our networks' over-the-top and digital offerings to consumers," Andy Kaplan, president of Worldwide Networks at Sony Pictures Television, said in a statement. "With the acquisition of Funimation, the combined IP of Animax, Kids Station and Funimation allows us to deliver the best anime to fans across all screens and platforms."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom