• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

The interesting thing here is that Funimation wasn't just bought by Sony Pictures; they were bought specifically by Sony Pictures Television Networks. That division, best as I can tell, isn't involved in physical media, but distributes shows to television channels in addition to owning various channels and streaming platforms of their own. Sony Pictures Television's executive statement lumped Funimation in with Animax and Kids Station, which are television networks and not physical media publishers as far as I'm aware. I'm not sure why they decided to purchase Funimation, but I can't believe the DVD/BD market had much to do with it.

Sure that's interesting in the same way "FUNimation probably spent more money partnering with Adult Swim to bring Space Dandy to US TV than they do building a streaming catalog" is interesting.

Who knows what Sony's plans are, but I'm pretty confident that whatever it is, it has little to do with competing with Netflix and Amazon. :p

Also pretty confident it's probably a bad plan because it's Sony.

blurr

Animax shut down here some time ago, there was supposed to be a streaming alternative but it doesn't seem to appeared yet.

So what are the best shows of the season so far? Currently im watching the Princess Principal, Ballroom, Kakegurui, Abyss, and Tsurezure.

Painguy

I really wouldn't call psycho pass edgy at all.

Maybe try Kuroko no Basket? It's a pretty fun ride with basically impossible basketball feats.

This actually looks dope, but I just watched all the Hajime No Ippo stuff so im little pooped of sports anime. Ill put it on my to watch tho. Any other suggestions?

Who knows what Sony's plans are, but I'm pretty confident that whatever it is, it has little to do with competing with Netflix and Amazon. :p

What I'm thinking is, since Sony was also bringing up Animax and Kids Station, maybe they want to create a new premium anime channel? Something they can add not just to Vue, but also to Sling, Hulu Live, Direct TV Now, etc.

duckroll

What I'm thinking is, since Sony was also bringing up Animax and Kids Station, maybe they want to create a new premium anime channel? Something they can add not just to Vue, but also to Sling, Hulu Live, Direct TV Now, etc.

That's an amazing list of services I don't think anyone uses. So you're probably right. Lol.

That's an amazing list of services I don't think anyone uses. So you're probably right. Lol.

I dunno, Sling's got 2 million subscribers. PS Vue and Direct TV have about a million between them. No idea what Hulu and Youtube's services are working with.

Honestly, that's the only thing I can think of as a motive on Sony's part.

duckroll

I dunno, Sling's got 2 million subscribers. PS Vue and Direct TV have about a million between them. No idea what Hulu and Youtube's services are working with.

No I absolutely agree that you are on to something. I'm just pointing out that Sony's services are all backward, dated, and not very successful in the larger scheme of things.

No I absolutely agree that you are on to something. I'm just pointing out that Sony's services are all backward, dated, and not very successful in the larger scheme of things.

That's fair lol. I only thing I really hope for is maybe Funimation gets more worked done on their apps.

Quasar

YouTube TV would be tiny given it's freshness and limited reach. Vue seems to be going well from my understanding. It might have a branding issue though with some people thinking you need a Playstation. Reminds me of people thinking podcasts were a Apple only thing.

Kalentan

Not sure if it counts as a Summer anime but I just watched the first two episodes of the Ancient Magus Bride and holy shit that is easily two of the best pieces of anime I've ever seen. I can't wait for Episode 3 in a month or so. (I guess there was a screening for it so there are reviews for it.)

I really hope the full show can do the OVA justice. Everything was just so on point. I loved the fact that the episode just begins without any flashy opening and then ends with a very non-anime ending that just plays the credits over music like if it was a movie.

I honestly feel like an opening and ending could actually ruin it.

Taruranto

Falcom Gakuen S2

1pnAe0e.jpg

XSj5plL.jpg

irXlwNZ.jpg
This was better than S1, probably because the cast of CS works better for this kind of series.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
All those robots are crap.

Haven't they learnt that flippers win?

Your little peashooterbot which looks like a hospital trolley made from Duplo wouldn't last 2 seconds in the real Robot Wars.

Not sure if it counts as a Summer anime but I just watched the first two episodes of the Ancient Magus Bride and holy shit that is easily two of the best pieces of anime I've ever seen. I can't wait for Episode 3 in a month or so. (I guess there was a screening for it so there are reviews for it.)

I really hope the full show can do the OVA justice. Everything was just so on point. I loved the fact that the episode just begins without any flashy opening and then ends with a very non-anime ending that just plays the credits over music like if it was a movie.

I honestly feel like an opening and ending could actually ruin it.

I saw the first 3 episodes of the actual TV show that should air during the fall at an early screening. All I can say is if it does justice to the source material and if its as consistent as the first 3 episodes we will be in for a treat. Also there wasnt a normal Opening or Ending, but that could be them removing it from the screening.

The music is absolutely breath taking though.

I stopped watching it at episode 11 because that's how I want to believe the series ended.

??? I just got bored but it somehow shit the bed in ep 12? I'd say I'm going to watch it but I'm on the Trails of Cold Steel and after 80 hours am only starting the Ch 6 school basement run. ToCS is aime in all it's best and worst ways, best - excellent world building and a feeling that these kids are really, really ignorant of what they're being used for, worst - entire chapters on anime ass issues like "I fell into your chest, we both know it was an accident but drama"

Ascheroth

??? I just got bored but it somehow shit the bed in ep 12? I'd say I'm going to watch it but I'm on the Trails of Cold Steel and after 80 hours am only starting the Ch 6 school basement run. ToCS is aime in all it's best and worst ways, best - excellent world building and a feeling that these kids are really, really ignorant of what they're being used for, worst - entire chapters on anime ass issues like "I fell into your chest, we both know it was an accident but drama"
I, too, will finally hop on the Cold Steel train tomorrow.

RIP Daisuki:
http://www.daisuki.net/us/en/contents/information.html

We regret to report that Anime Consortium Japan Inc.’s international anime streaming platform “DAISUKI” will be ending service as of October 31, 2017 at 11 a.m. Japan Standard Time.

We express our utmost gratitude to all who have used DAISUKI since its start in April 2013. We also apologize for the inconvenience the closure of the site will cause. We would appreciate your understanding.

Welcome to greatness. Despite the early "anime" drama (which goes away VERY quickly) the game is excellent. Stick with canon ship for best ship..... just saying!

Gah no way, SS Laura will sail these high seas alone.

Also you're not wrong about the anime silliness retreating quickly thanks to the strengths of the character writing but it does pop up now and again to make me groan (hi Elise).

Ascheroth

Gah no way, SS Laura will sail these high seas alone.

Also you're not wrong about the anime silliness retreating quickly thanks to the strengths of the character writing but it does pop up now and again to make me groan (hi Elise).
Gotta play the Trails in the Sky games.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Daisuki was an odd option.

Always got stuff later than most places apart from maybe one or two shows.

Line_HTX

Damn... Well, last chance to watch Concrete Revolutio on Daisuki I guess.

Might look at their stuff before it shuts down for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom