• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 18:

I guess the theme in recent episodes is looking at the extended home life of characters and this time we get a look at the Uzimaki clan and at the end of the day they are a pretty typical family out of the cursed eyes thing.

Where is my Sidonia S3?

Guess they're busy with Godzilla first ;P

They need to hurry up and finance some cartoon idols.

image.php

DiGiKerot

Maybe just create a Netflix-chan?

We need someone to replace Crunchyroll-Hime once CR is burnt to the ground, I suppose!

Joking aside, the Netflix stuff is probably a bigger deal than it immediately seems, as the original original stuff probably isn't being financed the way a lot of anime shows are presently, which is likely why a lot of this stuff isn't necessarily what would immediately strike you as modern anime. If any of this stuff proves to be remotely successful, the impact for the domestic Japanese market may well be bigger that just us foreigners complaining about waiting months to see stuff.

Ascheroth

We need someone to replace Crunchyroll-Hime once CR is burnt to the ground, I suppose!

Joking aside, the Netflix stuff is probably a bigger deal than it immediately seems, as the original original stuff probably isn't being financed the way a lot of anime shows are presently, which is likely why a lot of this stuff isn't necessarily what would immediately strike you as modern anime. If any of this stuff proves to be remotely successful, the impact for the domestic Japanese market may well be bigger that just us foreigners complaining about waiting months to see stuff.

Tbh I wouldn't really mind if Netflix financed anime would be produced as entire seasons that get put up as a whole when they're done, as long as that's also true for the 'japanese version'.
It only sucks to have to wait months for 'simulcasts'.

The question would be if that release format would be the best for the industry.

I don't think that especially original stuff like GuP or Madoka would have become that big without that weekly release format and fans going wild within the weeks.

Aho Girl 05

I see where Yoshiko gets it from, even though he mother isn't an idiot so much as she is determined.

New Game!! 04

Today lesson: enjoy what you like at any age.

Oh my god this Kekkai Sensen OVA is amazing. Thank you Matsumoto. ;_;

Edit: I'm dying, send help.

Damn it was that good because man I need my Kekkai Sensen fill.

Also holy shit at Netflix going all out with acquiring anime. That Devilman anime looks really damn good especially the artstyle.

Tuck

Fairly certain AICO is going to be generic drivel though at least it looks pretty and has the intruder from toonami in it so thats kind of neat. I'll give it a try.

Devilman looks sweet.

trejo

Knights of the Zodiac: Saint Seiya

This 12-episode reimagining of the classic "Saint Seiya" series will feature a group of heroes equipped with magical armor based on the constellations. They're defending the reincarnation of Greek goddess Athena against the other Olympian gods.

As an old ass latin american I think I'm contractually obligated to be hyped for this. But then I remember that the voice actor for Seiya, Jesús Barrero, passed away last year and I get sad. Whoever they get to replace him is gonna have some gigantic shoes to fill.

Now where's Regulus Tera so we can be cautiously optimistic but not really together.

AICO's technobabble dialogue reminds me of the first half of Gargantia's first episode. Can't say that excites me, despite the high level of animation, and I'm kind of over Murata as a director. Something about Devilman's color design bugs me - it looks visually confusing, at least when cut into this trailer. Still cautiously looking forward to it.

As far as Netflix's overall anime slate announced today goes, I'm looking forward to Children of the Whales the most. Of course I have to wait for an unspecified date for that, because Netflix.

Line_HTX

I see that Netflix continues its unacceptable practice of delayed releases when there are no dubs confirmed and only put out one cour at the end when practically everyone else has already watched them.

I see that Netflix continues its unacceptable practice of delayed releases when there are no dubs confirmed and only put out one cour at the end when practically everyone else has already watched them.

I don't think there's any anime that Netflix has licensed that hasn't been dubbed in multiple languages.

Netflix declared all out war in anime: https://www.cnet.com/news/netflix-originals-anime-castlevania-death-note-japan/

Non-originals:
Children of Whales

Originals:
Saint Seiya
Baki
Sword Gai
AICO
B
Lost Song
Devilman Crybaby

Unknown:
Cannon Busters

Nothing screams must see for me...or must buy a netflix sub for.

But I guess Funi and Sentai will get to save money since they wont need to stream these, and just have to get disc rights at some later point in time.

Jarmel

Banned
Kekkai Sensen-Restaurant Fit for A King (OAD)
This might be the best episode of the series from a comedic standpoint. One of the first things that strike me is how absolutely outstanding this episode is from a storyboarding perspective. For example an early shot with the episode title being drawn in ketchup on a plate which while being creative and playful in of itself, it visually reinforces what the episode itself will actually be about. There's also an awareness about using an available frame to visually reinforce spoken dialogue such as the golden Buddha(? I think) when talking about money. There was also a cool matching transition in the middle when Leon and the servant are talking.
It's not just the storyboarding though. The voice direction was on point multiple times throughout the episode with Zapp being absolutely depraved. The jungle scene is too much. It's too much. I don't remember the other episodes being this well directed. The use of classical music throughout the episode was perfect.
It's a shame that the only versions seemingly floating around are this low resolution as there's a really nice Kimura background shot I would like to see in more detail. Goddamn this hurts. Rie can come back and storyboard in S2 right? Right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom