• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Maria Holic Alive 03
030093s5krp.jpg
030109uzkh0.jpg
030120bmjdh.jpg
030118apj8z.jpg

Whatever it is they're smoking at Shaft, I want it.

RedSwirl

Yeah I could probably agree with this. At this point I think Origin is the best new entry point for Western audiences, assuming anyone ever gives it enough prominent attention. I think the older series are kinda relegated to Gundam fans and people who want a deeper dive into the franchise.

Watched some other Gundam stuff recently too. 08th MS hasn't aged nearly as much and gives a pretty good view of the UC setting while offering a much more grounded and focused story. I don't think that would be a bad entry point either.

But if someone can't even go back that far in terms of animation quality than I guess Origin is a good enough teaser to see if they're interested in the older stuff.

Edit: Scratch that, Thunderbolt pretty much serves the same purpose as 08th MS -- it offers a small but appealing glimpse of the setting set against a focused, grounded storyline. But, it's obviously much more modern in terms of animation. It's also one of the few Gundam shows where the main character isn't a teenager which might make it less off-putting to mainstream audiences.

Qurupeke

Bungo Stray Dogs 13-16

Pretty cool, I'd say that the show works a lot better on a more serious plotline. The show's direction really shined. Still, I don't believe that these "grounded" supernatural conflicts are my kind of jam.

phaze

Bungo Stray Dogs 13-16

Pretty cool, I'd say that the show works a lot better on some a more serious plotline. The show's direction really shined. Still, I don't believe that these "grounded" supernatural conflicts are my kind of jam.

It's time to eject my friend.

Howcome the Persona dancing game doesn't give a shit about canon and just has dead people all over but the fighting game does? All fighting games should be dream matches where Geese Howard never died.

I would love to know who fucked with the timeline to screw over Brain's Base. Ten absolute garbage series in a row. The only thing even coming close to being decent being Kiss Him Not Me and even that... and why can't they ever manage to keep their hands on a series? So many things they end up working on a single series and then another studio takes over. This is actually baffling to me. Bring back Omori, please. And give Yoshimura something to work with... not Dance with Devils and Cheer Boys...

moogs

Neo Member
Guilty Crown 13-22 + OVA

How is this outbreak not an international incident? There must be at least some foreign diplomats or exchange students caught in the mix. Am I supposed to assume tourists wouldn't want to visit Tokyo, ground zero of the Apocalypse Virus?

These fools keep trying to take credit for Gai's sacrifice. A festival in these dire times is uncalled for so the GHQ encourage a vigilante in Rambo cosplay to shoot up the school. Keido comes back from the dead to pursue a political career by becoming the President of Japan. Just where are all the adults at this school? The protagonist has acquired a power-level scouter. Please be excited. Inori got to dispose of some minor threats after all. This power fantasy is going too far, featuring the longest game of chess I failed to remember about until it finished. Arisa's grandfather brought swords to a gunfight because... ???

It's a bit of an afterthought, but did they really need the vaccines? Couldn't Inori had just sung that special song (of hope) over the PA system? Keido planned to destroy the world because his rival stole his little sister's heart. Gai is upset because Shu didn't want his sister's genes. I'm sensing a pattern here... I would have liked to have known what became of Daryl, but I suppose it doesn't matter. I'll just assume he baked Hare's birthday cake in the epilogue.

In the beginning, grasping the range of scope this series had was difficult, and it turns out to be smaller than expected. Shu didn't grow very much as a character; he just became emotionally resilient. The show was more interesting before it dropped the script journal that explained the backstory. Allegedly, this ending is nonsensical but it actually wrapped up so nicely that there isn't anything left to consider. The show just wanted to showcase the ugly side of human nature offset by Shu's kindness and Inori's innocence.

Guilty Crown OVA - Lost Christmas

In which it's learned that Voids can be extracted from animals. Rest in peace Doluudo, the Welsh corgi. o7

moogs

Neo Member
New Game!! 04

Get wrecked, Rin. Hifumi is the best leader (of scenes). She sure is fond of cacti, though. Is it supposed to symbolize how dry her love life is and how thirsty she is? Just kidding. It probably has something to do with trust. I wonder why she hasn't been paired yet. Incidentally, Umiko and Nene are the best pair.

Syrinx

New Game!! 04

Get wrecked, Rin. Hifumi is the best leader (of scenes). She sure is fond of cacti, though. Is it supposed to symbolize how dry her love life is and how thirsty she is? Just kidding. It probably has something to do with trust. I wonder why she hasn't been paired yet. Incidentally, Umiko and Nene are the best pair.
Isn't she already kinda paired with Aoba?

CR added -

And you thought there is never a girl online?
Peacemaker
Yatterman Night
Danganronpa the Animation
BlazBlue the Animation
Brothers Conflict

I dont know why I'm telling you this. None of these shows are worth watching, really.

Moaradin

CR added -

Peacemaker
Yatterman Night
BlazBlue the Animation
Brothers Conflict

I dont know why I'm telling you this. None of these shows are worth watching, really.

I thought Yatterman was OK. Is it the Blu-Ray version with the finished final episode?

godisntheradio

Neo Member
I forgot i didn't watch the second cour of March comes in like a lion, and damn, everything they introduced was really cool, improved a lot from the first cour.

Changing topics, I've seen Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei being mentioned here a few times and I am kind of interested, but, what i'm going to find there? i mean, is it comedy? serious? i couldn't tell from the synopsis.

I forgot i didn't watch the second cour of March comes in like a lion, and damn, everything they introduced was really cool, improved a lot from the first cour.

Changing topics, I've seen Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei being mentioned here a few times and I am kind of interested, but, what i'm going to find there? i mean, is it comedy? serious? i couldn't tell from the synopsis.

I've only seen four episodes but its a comedy. Literal gallows humor tho.

THIS IS NOT HOW I WANTED THIS TO END BAD WRITING VERY VERY BAD WRITING

if trump reviewed anime

CR added -

Peacemaker
Yatterman Night
BlazBlue the Animation
Brothers Conflict

Faylan does a good song for Blaz Blue,
Danganronpa's Never Say Never was the anthem of that season it aired.
BroCon is lovely.

I would suggest Never Girl Online's engdub, it was hilarious.

DNAbro

CR added -

Peacemaker
Yatterman Night
BlazBlue the Animation
Brothers Conflict

if you didn't have access to the game, the anime for Danganronpa was actually good. It's how I got into the series. But since it's on console and PC now, don't watch it and just play it.

if you didn't have access to the game, the anime for Danganronpa was actually good. It's how I got into the series. But since it's on console and PC now, don't watch it and just play it.

Its god awful. The lowest quality adaptation possible, but they put BlazBlue on there to make it look slightly better. Characters actually stand in their sprites most of the time...

Hajimete no Gal - 04

I liked that the supporting characters actually got to do something meaningful. Usually they would just be around to try to get in the way or make the MC look better, but in this episode they actually discovered a meaningful problem and handled it 100% on their own without any input from the MC at all. The thing that's really nice about this was that it was both sets of supporting characters, the male MC's friends and the female MC's friend.

This episode was an unexpected and really nice change of pace from the usual shenanigans that the series, and the genre as a whole, would have you look for. I doubt any other episodes will be like this though.

Bones new original show A.I.C.O. -Incarnation- teaser TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCfYQnOLHV0

And yes, it's Netflix again lol.

AICO's technobabble dialogue reminds me of the first half of Gargantia's first episode. Can't say that excites me, despite the high level of animation, and I'm kind of over Murata as a director. Something about Devilman's color design bugs me - it looks visually confusing, at least when cut into this trailer. Still cautiously looking forward to it.
The chara design also reminds me of Gargantia, so possibly Hanaharu Naruko again in charge of original character design?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom