• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

BlazBlue Alter Memory 01-06

Incomplete title sequences usually don't bode well for the quality of a show, but there have been some series where this didn't mean much so I'll remain optimistic about—never mind. Copious amounts of the action happens off-screen, or is obscured by smoke and mirrors. The animation, or lack thereof, leaves much to be desired. Judging by the episode previews, this show would have been more entertaining as a genuine farce. However, making a joke about fighting game adaptations doesn't excuse this level of unimaginative shortcuts in animation. There is a clear risk in potentially alienating an existing audience by deviating from the image of the original work but the lack of creative polishing here is otherwise appalling.

Jin is a cold creep. Also, Hakumen seems much more like a "grim reaper" than Ragna. All the protagonist does is dine with women and yell at them. I suppose he is sowing the seeds to a grim garden of maidens? I'm infinitely more concerned with Noel's inquisitive poetry than the stock spiel spewed by Rachel. She plays dimensional musical chairs with a literal shadow council. This universe is constructed to just bully Noel by selective causality in order to enforce equilibrium. What kind of writing workshop of a story is this?

Lots of stuff happen off screen because they were all in the first game, Calamity Trigger. This was one of the worst excuses of an adaptation I have ever seen, so bad that it wasn't even entertaining. All it did was just present a Cliff's Notes of the events of the 1st game.

Jarmel

Banned
Om13yIz.png

ZNPOlaw.png

VNqQAfa.png
good animu

GBF Battlogue 1

Fun as hell, quite looking forward to a custom F91 vs Mk2 next. It is a shame that Ikeda didn't voice Char in this though. Nostalgia bonus missed.

RIP, didn't realize I missed the preview and they did show the next suits to show up.

that's part of the joke, listen to the va they used for char again and it'll make sense for it not being ikeda.

-Minsc-

I'm enjoying it, but maybe I'm just not enjoying it the same as when I was a kid.

I fully expect Goku to transform into Super Saiyan God Saiyan 2 Clifford the Big Red Dog by the end of this arc, and then next couple of arcs they'll cycle and repeat and that will become useless.

In the word of Yogurt: Merchandising!

that's part of the joke, listen to the va they used for char again and it'll make sense for it not being ikeda.

Could you explain that one for me? (because I'm stupid)

edit: Battlogue is the best merchandising.

Cornbread78

School Rumble ep.11-12
Poor Harima. Eri had to bail your ass out once again. I really hope he sees the light and goes after rich girl by the end and stops this delusional persuit of Tenma. He already has better options!

Either way, focus on the comedy is good stuff!

Ribbons Allmark animated in new content, hold me, this was the best thing to wake up to in August 2017.

This. It's also 10th anniversary of Gundam 00 coming up in october (I feel old), so it's a nice homage. :)

GBF GM's Counterattack debuting August 25th Noon (JPT) and Episode 2 of Battlogue in early September. It's great they're releasing stuff regularly.

Qurupeke

Made In Abyss 5

I kind of appreciate all these anime that censor vomit with rainbows... The series surely doesn't hold back on many occasions.

Ozen looks like a very interesting character, next episode should be good.

Narag

Made in Abyss 5

Travel montage in the middle of the ep was so good. I'm growing increasingly enthralled by the sense of adventure on display. Glancing at the associated manga chapters shows they've toned this down in a good way too.

Made in Abyss 05

The sequence at the beginning with the corpse weepers (what a terrifying name) descending on Reg when he stretches his hand out towards Riko really reminded me of the scene in End of Evangelion where the MP Eva rip Eva Unit 02 and Asuka to shreds.

What happened to Arslan? Season 2 seemed to end abruptly, what...8 episodes in.

Season 1 was 25 episodes if I remember correctly. Has there been any word on a s3?

Hamst3r

Go Princess Precure - Finished - Good stuff. Kinda feeling like that might be all the Precure I need though, not sure. Might check out some of the others, but it'll probably be awhile before I do. I think I need to watch some other magical girl stuff, like maybe finish Sailor Moon.

I'm not watching Made in the Abyss because...fuckin Amazon, but watching clips of it, I can't help but enjoy the animation on the monsters.

Great effort seems to have gone into making the monsters these creepy threatening things that still move in a believable manner.

Made in Abyss - 05

The creature design so far has been fantastic. Those Corpse-Weepers (lovely name) are ominous as hell. They can mimic even a human's cry for help? Well, I guess maybe they just hear it once upon hunting them and later on mimic what they've heard. If not they'd have some rather advanced intelligence and understanding of people.

Looks like there's still some interesting stuff to learn about the abyss, like the importance of the central shaft where light, air, nutrients and what not is carried by some kind of force field.

I wonder whether that force field is man-made and maybe powered by some source that also lends its energy to Reg's Incinerator beam. It's a bit of a stretch but with these kind of mystery stories there's always the one obvious option of some weird phenomenon not being a natural occurrence and when Reg wields something as powerful as his Incinerator (and maybe he has even more up his sleave) then who knows what could be possible with the highly advanced technology hinted at by all these artifacts and so. That was a great episode to raise my curiosity again.

On a side note:
u7TW8xs.jpg

Incinerated 12-year old is on the menu!

That's some quite fucked up imagery. Guess not surprising when Jarmel looked at the manga and mentioned upcoming edginess. Maybe if we get the edge they can stop mentioning Reg's penis? That would be a trade-off at least!

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Oh god. I went back to Teekyuu but I forgot what season I stopped watching at. 6? 7? 8?

Fuck. I guess I need to watch it all again.

Narag

Made in Abyss - 05
That's some quite fucked up imagery. Guess not surprising when Jarmel looked at the manga and mentioned upcoming edginess. Maybe if we get the edge they can stop mentioning Reg's penis? That would be a trade-off at least!

Looking at the manga earlier, this was a nice tradeoff as opposed to her having her face ripped off.

Made in Abyss 5

Force field? Did I miss them previous describe this before or?

I wish it was kept a bit more realistic, sure shooting incinerator laser beams is cool, but that was way too much, what could even need that much power to defeat in the abyss lol.

Yu Yu Hakusho 20

When you come back from death to make a last-ditch counterattack once in a fight, that should be it. There shouldn't be multiple last-ditch efforts in a single battle. You spend all that effort building up to a climax, the climax happens, and then the fight keeps going? Now you're just wasting my time.

Narag

Made in Abyss 5

Force field? Did I miss them previous describe this before or?

I wish it was kept a bit more realistic, sure shooting incinerator laser beams is cool, but that was way too much, what could even need that much power to defeat in the abyss lol.

It was mentioned last week but I think the subs just called it a barrier?

Discotek announced this a year ago, any word on when it's actually coming out?

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/764575275967393792?lang=en

Soon.

https://twitter.com/discotekmedia/status/891466368234729473

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom