• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Gamers ep.4
6LZuGt5.png
Poor Tendou, she just keeps getting rekt..... What happened to his buddies GF after last week? Bad cliffhanger right there....

Oh well, the show is pretty harmless while being funny and it has some heart, so it's a win as of right now...

Why are her ears down by her cheekbones though?

I have been catching up with season 1 of Haikyuu so far. It's as great as I remembered it being.

Once I am done with season 1 I am definitely gonna try watching Code Geass from the beginning tomorrow.

Lol I am starting to watch every anime that I had left off from a certain point from the very beginning.

DNAbro

Gamers! Episode 4

As said every other week, this show is way better than it should be. Seeing Tendou's life crumble cause her crush was hilarious.

moogs

Neo Member
Is it similar to the term 'okama'?

And is okama considered an offensive term?
No.

Yes, okama is a derogatory term for effeminate, cross-dressing, or homosexual males. It's close in use to transvestite or faggot when meaning to offend. There is some self-proclaimed use in certain bars for entertainment, which would then be closest to drag queen.

No.

Yes, okama is a derogatory term for effeminate, cross-dressing, or homosexual males. It's close in use to transvestite or faggot when meaning to offend. There is some self-proclaimed use in certain bars for entertainment, which would then be closest to drag queen.

I always thought Okama was a self described thing for people similar to Drag Queens if you had to put a western tinge on it. In Yakuza 0 which is set in 1988 theres an Okama bar ran by an Okama. Theres also the pleasure king which is...bad.

But Okama jokes are generally really shitty, like the "lol gay predators!!!" on the beach in Persona 5. In One Piece its generally pretty good though. The leader is based on Tim Curry in Rocky Horror, its more of a performance. Bon Clay is a great character too. But then you have Sanji training on the Okama island by running away from their advances for two years and learning how to use the air step and sigh

phaze

I forgot i didn't watch the second cour of March comes in like a lion, and damn, everything they introduced was really cool, improved a lot from the first cour.

Changing topics, I've seen Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei being mentioned here a few times and I am kind of interested, but, what i'm going to find there? i mean, is it comedy? serious? i couldn't tell from the synopsis.

It's a comedy through and through but a sort of weird ass harem as well I guess ?

I completely missed the start of the summer season. What does everyone think is worth watching so far?

Mahoujin Guru Guru.

DNAbro

Dive!! Episode 5

dive.jpg

I can't tell if this show is trying to say something. It goes between the self satisfaction of getting better and how dedicating yourself to a sport/activity can completely destroy your relationships if you let it. I'm not sure if it trying to say that it is or isn't worth it though. Saw that ending twist coming a mile away (cause the OP makes it kind of obvious) but I still feel bad for him and I wonder how he's going to react.

phaze

Mahoujin Guru Guru 04

Really impressed with this show far. Besides the comedy and faces which are on point and more most of the time, it's the little touches here and there that betray pedigree with which this was assembled. Between the animated eyecatches, the way they integrated the training into ED, character pushing her name plaquette off the screen, this is a labour of love and that shines through and through. My only small complaint about this ep is that for once, it did feel somewhat rushed.

e_i

Hey Amazon, can you default to subtitles when showing subtitled only anime like Made in Abyss and Princess Principal?

Qurupeke

Bungo Stray Dogs S2 [END]

You could sum it up as "Notice me senpai", the Mafia version.

It had its flaws but it was also pretty fun, with several good moments. What I appreciated the most are all those references to literature, even if they were a bit superficial at times. The first four episodes of S2 were certainly the best part of the show, and I've come to the realization that the show was at its prime when Dazai interacted with the Port Mafia. I don't know, people like Kunikida and Atsushi weren't all that interesting to me.

Mahoujin Guru Guru 04

Really impressed with this show far. Besides the comedy and faces which are on point and more most of the time, it's the little touches here and there that betray pedigree with which this was assembled. Between the animated eyecatches, the way they integrated the training into ED, character pushing her name plaquette off the screen, this is a labour of love and that shines through and through. My only small complaint about this ep is that for once, it did feel somewhat rushed.
From what I'm assuming this will be the abridged version of the original TV series. Fast paced, fantastic one liners, skipping content and arguably might be a fan favorite.

I think for once I'm going to go watch the original once this ends to watch the pros and cons of this adaptation, as others in here who have seen the OG already said they skipped a bit of episodes

It's an adaptation of the original manga and skips through the original content/filler of the first tv adaptation. It's also indeed (way) faster paced than the original. Soon, both shows will not even inlcude the same events anymore because everything past >episode 30 of the first adaptation was original content - we are now around episode 16.

It's an adaptation of the original manga and skips through the original content/filler of the first tv adaptation. It's also indeed (way) faster paced than the original. Soon, both shows will not even inlcude the same events anymore because everything past >episode 30 of the first adaptation was original content - we are now around episode 16.

Okay so I wasn't going crazy feeling like the past handful of episodes of the 1994 version felt like filler, since I'm right now on episode 37. It's still lots of fun, but it has felt much more one offs which is weird for a series that was adapting things at a slow pace.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I love ukiyo-e takes on modern properties.

moogs

Neo Member
I always thought Okama was a self described thing for people similar to Drag Queens if you had to put a western tinge on it. In Yakuza 0 which is set in 1988 theres an Okama bar ran by an Okama. Theres also the pleasure king which is...bad.

But Okama jokes are generally really shitty, like the "lol gay predators!!!" on the beach in Persona 5. In One Piece its generally pretty good though. The leader is based on Tim Curry in Rocky Horror, its more of a performance. Bon Clay is a great character too. But then you have Sanji training on the Okama island by running away from their advances for two years and learning how to use the air step and sigh
The use of okama in a work is usually an attempt at introducing eccentricities, but they could still irk someone despite just being caricatures. Okama has some valid use to simply refer to individuals of this particular subset of homosexual culture. Still, it's slang that can be used/viewed negatively.

Busaiku

Gamers! is something I want to like, and I continue to follow it, but all the pandering keeps putting me down every week.

L.O.R.D

My Hero Academia S2 E17

i like that stain is dead but his scarf is still frozen like if he in space

TbEoa1c.jpg

Boku no Hero Academia ep 30

Was really hoping to see Endeavor vs Stain at the end there, but oh well good shit still.

Endeavor would probably beat him very fast even if Stain have full health.

Hagi

Is there no way to stream Tiger Mask W in the UK? Crunchyroll only seem to have it for the US it seems. Looks like something I'd enjoy so bit of a bummer I can't watch it

John Blade

Just something I ponder for a bit but was wondering if anyone is interested in Blu-Ray of Space Brothers NA collection for 1 to 5 as I don't think I will ever going to watch this anime based on the speed I am going through my collection as of now. Don't know if it will go by amount of the item or a trade in for something else. Just wonder if anyone like to own this collection.

Tiger Mask W 25

SiNtDyz.jpg

The low camera angle makes The Third completely out of reach from Takuma.

The Third is terrifying. I watched My Hero Academia 30 earlier today, and that episode did a good job of depicting Stain as a near-elemental force with the way his anger at false heroism has consumed him, especially with how his final stare paralyzed everyone through sheer psychological force alone. But Stain's force pales in comparison to the raw and completely self-assured hatred The Third shows here. It helps that The Third has been built up for a much longer time (
the whole series, in fact, now that he's been revealed to be the Yellow Devil of three years ago
) and more elaborately, so when Tiger the Dark confronts him the weight of history makes it all the more powerful. Despite its episodic and comedic diversions, Tiger Mask W has handled its main plot very well. The sustained build-up and character development helps sell the emotional moments, such as
Naoto revealing himself to Takuma
, even while the backgrounds and composite remain painfully clumsy.

1mBCtSm.jpg

Sorry, but this looks very bad.

Kickz

Space Brother ep 62

ifwhw2u.jpg
nKVDVCh.jpg
tiEJieT.jpg

These two need to be a thing before this show wraps up

Death flags going off heavy in this ep for the old lady Sharon, gonna suck if the fortune teller is right about her.

Rick and Morty Mad Max

Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of this show when it basically dumps its characters in a set franchise, and just tells a story in that world.

Brown elf titties.

Heres how you know it sucks.

Its not good. Neither is Trigun

I mean, I agreed with you on Trigun, but Outlaw Star? There are some statements people need to be locked away for.
:p

Edit: Also:

Turn A Turn, Turn A Turn, TUUURRRRNNNN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This show is like Tomino unleashed.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Escaflowne Episode 2

Now this is a series that holds up from the 1990s, for the most part anyway, some of the sound effect are a bit on the shockingly wacky side. Also why anybody would want to replace the OST is beyond me.

Narag

I mean, I agreed with you on Trigun, but Outlaw Star? There are some statements people need to be locked away for.
:p

Edit: Also:

Turn A Turn, Turn A Turn, TUUURRRRNNNN AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

This show is like Tomino unleashed

That's Garzey's Wing.

I don't understand the reverence a not very good show like Outlaw Star gets.

It was one of the gateway series for a lot of people. It's the same reason Gundam Wing is arguably the most popular, or at least the most known, Gundam series in the West.

Like I like Outlaw Star well enough, mostly for its aesthetic, but I don't think its aged as well as its contemporaries like Bebop or Trigun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom