• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
So why do they do this for anime? Let's think about it for a moment. Televisions shows in the US aren't finished hours before they air in the US. At worst episodes are completed weeks beforehand, but in some cases the entire season is completed before it even starts airing. This means Netflix can simulcast weekly knowing that they already have all materials to handle subtitles for the international audience.

With anime, they don't have that advantage. So I believe they are no interested in doing what CR and FUNi do, where they rush subtitles without dubs every week, sometimes needing to delay stuff and so on. They want a more complete product released in a full batch. That's what I think is going on.

Oh yeh, very good point. I didn't consider the messy logistics in many anime productions. Makes sense that Netflix wants no part of that.

Jarmel

Banned
All I can do is pray that the Funimation/Sony deal allows them to bypass Netflix. I can live with Amazon and their bullshit.

I thought amazon was doing simulcasts of Welcome to the Ballroom? All the other episodes have a Friday release date.

The first one was released earlier than usual because the special premiere on Twitch.

Another one had to be moved one day because they were going to air another program (something sports I suppose) in that slot.

And finally the last week we had a double episode because this week we won't have one, again because a sports tournament in that time slot.

I think the other thing with Netflix is that they've found, through their experimenting, that anime released subbed only gets far fewer views than releasing it with a dub out the gate. Sure Kuromukuro was released subbed first, but I suspect that it getting a dub later revealed that with anime, like much anything else, you only get one launch. I doubt the dub pulled significant viewership back to the series.

So I think that's why Netflix does what they do, launch with a dub gives these anime the best chance of capturing Netflix's audience and I agree with Duckroll they have no interest in trying to cater to the anime simulcast fandom, but rather their own crowd.

Quasar

Netflix is currently not interested in people who only want anime simulcasts. They are instead looking to build up as large a library as possible overall with each season. Why doesn't Netflix simulcast anime outside of Japan? I don't think it is because they want to encourage people to binge. It makes no sense when you consider that shows like Better Call Saul and Star Trek Discovery are/will be streamed on Netflix weekly with the US release which on other networks or platforms.

So why do they do this for anime? Let's think about it for a moment. Televisions shows in the US aren't finished hours before they air in the US. At worst episodes are completed weeks beforehand, but in some cases the entire season is completed before it even starts airing. This means Netflix can simulcast weekly knowing that they already have all materials to handle subtitles for the international audience.

It is weird given in places like Australia Netflix does have a range of weekly shows, including some j-drama, as well as some US shows. So its not like they are against it in principle.

/XX/

I'm just thinking if any other studio had directed this, any one whether it be BONES or KyoAni, it would have turned out to be some C-level shit forgotten after a year. Hell even if Trigger had done this, it wouldn't have turned out this well because there's a level of delicacy behind all the madness that shines through in the more serious moments which really surprises me.
One very important factor in achieving that "delicacy" you well mention was the effort made to reach an understanding of the youngsters mentality, thanks to a thorough research done by Mr. Anno & Co. during pre-production of the show. As far as I know, His and Her Circumstances is definitely old GAiNAX most consciously prepared adaptation in search of a fair and in-depth understanding of the subject matter, partially by way of interviews Hideaki Anno arranged with Japanese high-school students that are well worth a read.

Interesting to note is that the famous NHK's documentary 'Welcome Back for an Extracurricular Lesson, Sempai' featuring Mr. Anno was made during that time too! This caused some confusion at first... :-D

BluWacky

His and Her Circumstances 1-10

After thinking about it for the past few hours, I feel this might be one of the best storyboarded if not the best storyboarded show I've ever seen. From a direction standpoint, this could be the best work I've seen out of Gainax and that's really fucking high praise. Good lord and it feels like it's getting better as it goes along (except for episode 6 which they clearly did in a week).

While it's memetic to talk about the show's production issues and Anno's departure from it, it doesn't detract from just how wonderful much of the show's direction is. Very few shoujo adaptations (or originals) capture high energy and intense introspection in equal measure in the way KareKano does, and very few shows have even attempted to emulate this; most shows of this ilk resort to near slavish reproduction of manga panels without remembering to actually animate them. With that said...

I'm just thinking if any other studio had directed this, any one whether it be BONES or KyoAni, it would have turned out to be some C-level shit forgotten after a year. Hell even if Trigger had done this, it wouldn't have turned out this well because there's a level of delicacy behind all the madness that shines through in the more serious moments which really surprises me.

This, I think, is bollocks. Yes, KareKano is delightful, but I would venture that Ouran High School Host Club, which is a far frothier confection than KareKano's veering into melodrama, is equally as impressive an adaptation and equally memorable (in terms of anime fandom's very short-term memory, possibly more so - Ouran is still quite widely recommended, I believe!). Igarashi's work on Ouran is of course more heavily influenced by the Ikuhara school than Anno/Tsurumaki are, but it's equally as adept at delicacy and humour in a very different way, and while perhaps not as inventive as KareKano it can certainly be visually striking.

I can't make any such judgements about the teams at Trigger and KyoAni because they don't tackle this kind of material.

(speaking of Ikuhara, I assume everyone's seen that there's been new Utena manga this year? One chapter out so far, another one due in autumn/winter.)

So I think that's why Netflix does what they do, launch with a dub gives these anime the best chance of capturing Netflix's audience and I agree with Duckroll they have no interest in trying to cater to the anime simulcast fandom, but rather their own crowd.

It's interesting to note, however, that "that crowd" is basically me it seems. I don't deny that the Netflix deals kill the chance for new series to get major exposure (much like pre-airing licensing did for most shows 10-15 years ago, although obviously this is not going to be the case for something like Fate/Apocrypha), when I saw that press release of forthcoming Netflix anime shows or the ones they've already got I was far more excited than I am about most anime announcements. Children of the Whales is the one show I've been really looking forward to all year; you've got a Bones original (although it doesn't look brilliant), a very interesting sounding Production IG show, Yuasa's Devilman show, etc. etc.

While it's nice to be able to follow the crowd in terms of discussion (although realistically how much "discussion" do we always manage on here about individual episodes - it's still mostly isolated impressions posted into the void without us engaging with each other!), it's actually quite pleasant to be able to watch stuff in a way I want to; these days binge-watching suits my lifestyle better, and dubs are a lovely convenience for when I want to be pottering around cleaning/ironing/anything else rather than concentrating solely on anime. In fact, pretty much everything about Netflix is "convenient" these days - easy to access on pretty much any device, and part of a subscription that I was happy to pay for everything else I get with it.

Prey 2017

So conflicted on this game. Prey has a lot of things I genuinely like, and a lot of things that drive me up the wall. Like a lot of games it could have used some more time in the oven (shadows and textures freak the hell out on the base PS4), and it goes on a bit too long.
Dahl felt like he was supposed to be introduced into the game earlier, and they just decided to shove him awkwardly in right at the end.
Writing is inconsistent, but I do feel the game ends pretty strong. Thankfully doesn't waste your time with a huge stupid boss fight.

DNAbro

My Hero Academia S2 Episode 18

I want to hear the League of Villains voices so bad. Especially Toga and Twice. Season 3 I guess.

I'm excited for the "filler" episode next week. Expanding on their internships is a great idea.

Magical Circle Guru-Guru - 01-02
Okay... there are two things I never expected:
  1. This turned out to be ANOTHER great JRPG parody this year alongside Konosuba 2 and Senyu.
  2. Kukuri is too freaking adorable.

How different, then is this show so far compared to the 1994 version?

Magical Circle Guru-Guru - 01-02
Okay... there are two things I never expected:
  1. This turned out to be ANOTHER great JRPG parody this year alongside Konosuba 2 and Senyu.
    [*]Kukuri is too freaking adorable.

How different, then is this show so far compared to the 1994 version?

You are a wise man.

Also the 1994 is way more slowpaced with a lot original content, it's worth a watch even after watching the reboot.

Dive!! Episode 5

So glad the Ryo and Reiji jealously aspect was addressed in quick speed, though it was a learning experience for them but it was also one for Tomoki, I enjoyed how it helped to grow many characters at once. Hopefully the three eight graders stick with it permanently.

lol that ending. Oh well Tomoki was better with Youchi or Ryo than some fem childhood friends.

Jarmel

Banned
This, I think, is bollocks. Yes, KareKano is delightful, but I would venture that Ouran High School Host Club, which is a far frothier confection than KareKano's veering into melodrama, is equally as impressive an adaptation and equally memorable (in terms of anime fandom's very short-term memory, possibly more so - Ouran is still quite widely recommended, I believe!). Igarashi's work on Ouran is of course more heavily influenced by the Ikuhara school than Anno/Tsurumaki are, but it's equally as adept at delicacy and humour in a very different way, and while perhaps not as inventive as KareKano it can certainly be visually striking.
Well I was referring more to this particular work, in that if BONES had adapted Kare Kano. Even with someone like Igarashi though, I don't think he would have sniffed anywhere near this level. Igarashi can be visually striking but as you said, the storyboarding would be nowhere near this creative. I like Ouran a lot but this work highlights how straight-laced someone like Igarashi is. This is more in line with the insanity found in FLCL but not as off-the-rails.

blurr

One very important factor in achieving that "delicacy" you well mention was the effort made to reach an understanding of the youngsters mentality, thanks to a thorough research done by Mr. Anno & Co. during pre-production of the show. As far as I know, His and Her Circumstances is definitely old GAiNAX most consciously prepared adaptation in search of a fair and in-depth understanding of the subject matter, partially by way of interviews Hideaki Anno arranged with Japanese high-school students that are well worth a read.

Interesting to note is that the famous NHK's documentary 'Welcome Back for an Extracurricular Lesson, Sempai' featuring Mr. Anno was made during that time too! This caused some confusion at first... :-D

Continue to be fascinated by the making of Kare Kano.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Made in Abyss 5

Can't wait for Riko and Reg to recruit Narag into their party.

So I wonder how when these acquisitions from Netflix and Amazon are going to start impacting Crunchyroll's subscription numbers?

Depends on if CR doesnt get hit anime. Ive yet to see netflix anime make waves, amzn at least had kabaneri which put them on the map, and recreators seemed to make waves for this year same for made in abyss.

Netflix upcoming only says cancel your CR only to the most hardcore of anime viewers.

duckroll

Well I was referring more to this particular work, in that if BONES had adapted Kare Kano. Even with someone like Igarashi though, I don't think he would have sniffed anywhere near this level. Igarashi can be visually striking but as you said, the storyboarding would be nowhere near this creative. I like Ouran a lot but this work highlights how straight-laced someone like Igarashi is. This is more in line with the insanity found in FLCL but not as off-the-rails.

BONES didn't even exist when KareKano was made. Stop trying so hard on staff fanfiction. This is like "What if Fincher directed Terminator 2" territory.

Depends on if CR doesnt get hit anime. Ive yet to see netflix anime make waves, amzn at least had kabaneri which put them on the map, and recreators seemed to make waves for this year same for made in abyss.

Netflix upcoming only says cancel your CR only to the most hardcore of anime viewers.

I mean this current season Netflix got the two arguably most popular series in Kakegurui and Fate. People keep making jokes about "riding the seven seas" to watch anime again, but I feel like the more people normalize it again, the more likely they're to just cancel their Crunchyroll sub because what would even be the point?

Kickz

Boku no Hero Academia ep 31

50RipW0.jpg
oa94sBv.jpg
FTkaJTE.jpg

Chief Woof must've needed alot of therapy growing up

Nice recover ep after Stain arc, not sure how I feel about a filler ep next week with so few eps left this season though.

Lol we have to wait until Spring to watch Violet Evergarden.

Tbh I don't really care tho, but I bet a lot anime fans are frustrated by this.

I mean this current season Netflix got the two arguably most popular series in Kakegurui and Fate. People keep making jokes about "riding the seven seas" to watch anime again, but I feel like the more people normalize it again, the more likely they're to just cancel their Crunchyroll sub because what would even be the point?

I mean Crunchyroll has The Ancient Magus Bride next season which could arguably be one of the biggest anime next season.

Edit: doublepost.

Line_HTX

All they have to do is NOT release a whole batch six fucking months later and do weekly releases. It should not be this difficult for the US branch.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Sakura quest 17-18
I'm surprised how much the show improve during the 2nd half. Yes, it still cute girls doing cute tourism. But this time, they actually did something that really matters like teaching old people how to use ipad and using to help their lives in isolated village. They also manage to solve the whole cut off bus route by implementing bus on demand. I guess the show writer did their homework on this one.

duckroll

What else are they going to hype up? Amazon literally bought two of the more interesting anime blocks, among other licenses, and Netflix is on a war path.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
From the looks of things it sounds like CR is really hyping it up.
That's nice? They are directly funding it and little else so obviously they are going to try and push it. How does someone look at Fall (or really any season) and think Magus Bride will be popular though....

What else are they going to hype up? Amazon literally bought two of the more interesting anime blocks, among other licenses, and Netflix is on a war path.

They still got Black Clover and Gintama too :p

But yeah, next season will be interesting. Shokugeki no Soma 3 and Himouto! 2 are both likely to be Strike/HIDIVE exclusive thanks to Sentai.

We got two episodes last week since no episode would air this week.

The first one was released earlier than usual because the special premiere on Twitch.

Another one had to be moved one day because they were going to air another program (something sports I suppose) in that slot.

And finally the last week we had a double episode because this week we won't have one, again because a sports tournament in that time slot.

Thanks! I just started watching this week, so I wasn't familiar with the posting schedule of the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom