• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - 30

How many people are Newtypes in this show again? Kamille, Fa, and Jerid? Is freaking Katz one too? I'm staring to lose track here.

RIP Maori. If Jared's hate-boner for Kamille wasn't massive enough already he's going to go insane by the end of this show.

Jared still can't let that punch go. He has no chill when it comes to Kamille, a girls name.

Emma and Reccoa are also Newtypes.

Voltron S3: Thoughts
CwtG4ga.jpg

Before I knew it this 'season' was fucking over lmao.

As far as starting things with a bang, this show wasted no breath. It starts right after S2 ends and introduced the new antagonists within the first 2 episodes. It also
shuffles around the team to new lions minus Hunk and Pidge
. I liked how at first
none of them were comfortable in their own Lion. Keith had to take on a slower lion he didn't really feel he was controlling plus the burden of now being the team leader when he doesn't feel worthy. Lance has to deal with accepting Keith being the new leader, his old Lion rejecting him, and a much faster lion. And Allura has to deal with being rejected by two lions and then finally having to learn to pilot the blue lion

The new villain and his crew are definitely the standout on S3 (aka S3A). This reminds me a lot of Avatar when it introduced Azula and her two best friends who were these weird trio of charming villains. It humanizes the villains where they aren't just a mean bulky lion dude and an old space magic witch. It's essentially
a 'voltron' like squad of paladins but working with the main new enemy
which is a great contrast.

Something that bothered me this season though is how much of a child Keith turned into early on. S2 was his time to shine and his plot and background were easily the most interesting out of the cast then. Early S3 this can be excused as
grieving
but it just seemed like a bit of regression from his part from what he went through in S2 as he once again turned into a bit of a hot head.

I had a love/hate relationship with the
alternate timeline
episode. It's a nice staple of science fiction. Essentially the 'bizarro' episode. I love the concept as it's always a solid way to explore that
not everything is black and white in these war torn shows and that sometimes the good guys can turn bad
. But at the same time it felt way too convenient how this plot point was reached. And finally we reach Punished
Shiro
. A man denied his gilette. Absolutely
nobody saw that coming.
. Unfortunately there was a hiccup after this point when the pacing skipped a beat. Right after we
have Shiro back in the team, they skip the post-traumatic and coping scenes and put them together in a single scene, and immediately the leads want to go back to the status quo and it just feels awkward.

Over-all I'd say season 3 is more plot focused, and possibly stronger depending on the audience. But as someone who actually enjoyed some of the episodes where the individual team members (or groups of 2) went off on their own to have adventures, this season felt weaker for me personally. Season 2 had some fantastic fight scenes and visually impressive episode, including one that was essentially Jabu Jabu's belly from Zelda. With this season we didn't get episodes with as visually spectacular scenes, and also less 'fun' episodes, but we did get a lot of background on the history of Voltron and the original paladins, so take that as you will. I'd give it a 7/10. Compared to the opening few episodes of S1 and S2, I'd put it above S1 for sure, murky area with S2.

I don't know if I can realistically expect the next season to have more sci fi adventures, but I am at the very least hoping we get more ground combat scenes and interesting planet/creatures.

HEYBOT! 43

Bruh the ongoing Heybot lore scares me. I think this episode ended without being resolved saying they will continue it next episode, but the next episode preview looks like it has NOTHING to do with it. Okay.

edit: but that also doesn't mean it's mainstream though. mal users are like the opposite of mainstream

Yes, where the most popular shows are Full Metal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online and Naruto.

DNAbro

HEYBOT! 43

Bruh the ongoing Heybot lore scares me. I think this episode ended without being resolved saying they will continue it next episode, but the next episode preview looks like it has NOTHING to do with it. Okay.

Yes, where the most popular shows are Full Metal Alchemist, Hunter x Hunter, Attack on Titan, Sword Art Online and Naruto.

okay okay

Aquarion Logos 26 (End)

Mixed feelings towards this show. For the most part, it was standard monster-of-the-week involving Japanese wordplay, weird characters, and a bland and straightforward plot of apocalyptic machines from a previous age. Overall pretty average throughout the show, with a few noteworthy moments here and there. But the finale was pretty amazing. Absurdly stupid, but it reveled in it's stupidity. It's normal and average to see a heroine end up with the MC instead of the obligatory rival villain. Then there's Logos, where said rival sacrifices himself to save the world, denying MC his chance to fulfill his long-sought dream of becoming a savior.

The finale itself wasn't enough to make the rest of the show worth watching, but it was certainly extremely memorable.

The Reflection 3:
Man, I love this show so much. The whole art style is really clicking perfectly for me, the backgrounds are great, and the direction and especially the sound design has been superb. That scene of them driving on the highway towards Ohio was honestly just perfect for me. I really felt like I was sitting in that truck with them, feeling the bumps on the road, hearing the engine and all of the other sounds from driving on the highway. That's kind of an absurd amount of detail to go to, compared to typical car drive scenes that are really minimal. There was some pretty nice animation during the fight at the end, and then you get to the big robot moment and it's so just such an amazing and absurd moment. I definitely didn't see that one coming.

This episode also did a really great job at establishing Lisa. When you compare that to the first episode where it felt like you had no clue who anyone was or why you should care, it's clear that the show has come along way. While the first two episodes at times felt strange or disjointed in some ways, this episode was just a strong and confident episode from start to finish. Every sequence in the episode felt like the staff knew exactly what they wanted to do with it. The visual identity of The Reflection, both in terms of its art style as well as the style of the direction, feels unlike anything else on either side of the pond. The sound direction has been impeccable, too. While I understand why this show isn't clicking for some people, I'm really digging it, and I can't wait to see the rest of it.

Jex

His and Her Circumstances 1-10

After thinking about it for the past few hours, I feel this might be one of the best storyboarded if not the best storyboarded show I've ever seen[...]

You haven't even seen the best episode!

Dragon Ball Super 102

lmao at 17 shooting the magical girls mid transformation. 17s fight with Kakunsa was pretty good and I liked the trick he used, but wouldnt be surprised if he goes out next since he has already done a lot.

Kenstar

Kakegurui this week is ep 1 with cast commentary
gonna have to find a way to get by without my Saotome MEARIー fix this week

I was looking into His and Her Circumstances and apparently it is in bad need of a remastering. The R2 DVDs are really poor and the R1 release is even worse and based on the TV masters. :( I remember really liking it as a teen, never finished the anime or manga though.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 67

Return of the Ako/Koharu Treasure Hunting pair. Those two need their own show. I always thought it was pretty obvious the giant treasure chest at the start was the real one. Maybe Yuzu could make a decent president. She did manage to kidnap the former S4 and stuff them in a stuffy hot chest for hours. Kickass new song for Yuzu of course. Elza really needs to start whipping her students into shape, because Four Stars now doubles the number of wings they have vs Venus Ark. The appearance of the wings just creates the sun dress? Between rainbow cancer and wings/cards that appear out of nowhere to create a super dress, I'm starting to think the Aikatsu system is magic, not technology. More than I already did.

Eusis

Ohh, I see more Funi stuff showed up on Crunchyroll. Going to have to comb it for stuff I've wanted to watch or rewatch, Code Geass is definitely one of those to cover the absurdist comedy angle.

It was at least decent up until the halfway point. Then it just dropped off. Somehow, the episodes after a war was declared were more meandering and pointless than when the sneaky buildup to the war.

The Eccentric Family 8

This episode broke me :(

The music, the dialogue, the shots, everything was beautiful. What a fantastic journey so far, I cant believe I waited this long to watch this.

It was nice to see Yasaburo finally shed his aloofness, if only for a little bit.

The Eccentric Family 8

This episode broke me :(

The music, the dialogue, the shots, everything was beautiful. What a fantastic journey so far, I cant believe I waited this long to watch this.

Yeah its a really damn solid anime. I was surprised how good it was.

The music is wonderful as well.

Syrinx

Aikatsu Stars! 67

Sometimes I wonder about the insane budgets the girls in this show get for their events and remember that Lily had to save the school from bankruptcy that one time.

What was the problem?

The first half was pretty decent, but the pacing in the second half is absolutely awful when they start focusing more on the enemy faction.

There's a rumor that the series was originally intended to be 13 episodes + a movie which would explain a lot

Its funny that the one thing I remember from Code Geass is Nina's masturbation scene.

I guess that scene was just so shocking that I still remember it.

What was the problem?

the problem was delta post ep13 was an unfocused pile of shit. and i say this as someone who expects more from macross, being a fan since the 80s via robotech initially and shortly after seeing original SDF macross via the streamline robotech collection tapes. even frontier, which i didn't really care for untill the movies beyond sheryl/may'n's music and the VF-25 atleast told a coherent story and had a proper finale for the tv version.

atleast we will get some more good music out of a delta movie. for all the shit i give delta, walkure's music and JYUUNA's powerful voice were definitely a good thing.

Hellraider

Lol Mappa are animating the manga about a old dude that turns into a robot or some shit next season.

Also reminder the creator of the series is the same guy that wrote Gantz.
The manga was more than decent. We can potentially get a pretty good and complete half season out of it.

Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! S2

Still enjoyable, but definitely a step down from the first season. The romance is extremely slow to progress. Tooka (rikka's sister), one of the best characters, gets a lot less screen time and the battles are not nearly as epic.

Quasar

What was the problem?

That it wasn't as good as Frontier I guess. But the most shows have that problem.

I thought it was OK...would rank it in the middle somewhere of Macrosses. But as said elsewhere, great music. Good enough to get me to import the soundtrack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom