• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Oh right, Ballroom had a double last week, Kakegurui bumped for World Championships Athletics, and Re:Creators filling in their 3rd and final free slot with one last special.

What an empty weekend, more time for backlog and other things!

blurr

My Hero Academia 31

I saw screenshots of this in the manga but I was not mentally prepared for this.

DGe1Yb4VoAAT3Rs.jpg

On one hand he was delivering some very important news, on the other hand I'm just imploding over this design choice - I mean I like it but I'm trying to wrap my head around it while trying to pay attention to what he's saying. This wasn't like the minor gag in season 1's cat police, this was a pretty serious moment! I suppose this is nothing abnormal in the world of MHA but I was really taken aback. That was a great moment overall, I've rewatched it after completing the episode.

Stain's a bigger influence that I thought, the consequences of his ideology spreading to misguided individuals are more or less spelled out. That's an interesting direction but I doubt this aligns well with Shigaraki's own motivations given how his relationship with Stain ended. This is probably something they can use as leverage to move further though.

This does remind me of Narag's take on a purist era with the Chief's speech and the ending scene implying how it was in the past or why the Hero association even came to be. They aren't entirely clear except with the ending scene specifying how it was chaotic until All Might came in. There's even a brief back story of Stain, although its credibility is questionable given how it was used to spread his fundamentalist propaganda. His story tells us his disappointment towards the Hero education system but not where it stems from, an assumption is through All Might's rise as implied just before this.

This is more of a bubbling period for the next sequence of events but I really enjoy these episodes as well for sinking in the events of the past and coming to terms with change/consequence.

The Eccentric Family Episode 2

Finally got to meet the rest of the family and learn why everyones scared of Benten. Still dont know if shes a villain or not, but since the ED is devoted to her, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

The music in this show is so freakin good, damn. Loved the ending of the episode.

I mean the reason why I am saying Magus Bride could be the biggest show next season is because its being hyped up by Crunchyroll and its WIT's passion project.

You dont go airing the first 3 episodes at theaters for international audience for no reason. They expect it to be big and seeing the first 3 episodes I can see why. I mean there is a chance it wont be big, but there is also a chance it could be as well. Heck Production IG is behind the production of the anime as well.

Or it could be Black Clover.

duckroll

The Reflection - Episode 3

This is bad. There's something really weird about this show. The script is stilted and really unnatural. The scenes are directed in really awkward ways and the editing is ass. Nothing about it feels smooth or elegant. Watching scenes transit without any sense of flow or momentum makes it really uncomfortable to watch. The art is average. The animation is minimal. What is even going on in this production....

At least the robot was cool.

:/

I'd assumed those were the first three prequel ova eps that were already out.

No, the 3 episodes that were prescreened at Anime Expo and then at Crunchyroll's Anime Movie Night are the first 3 episodes of the TV series proper. (The third prequel OAD episode isn't even out yet.)

duckroll

Yes. The OADs are an anime-original prequel to the manga. The TV show is adapting the manga itself.

If they are OADs... are they really "anime-original" or.... animated..... manga... bonus.... I'm not sure what my train of thought was or where it is going, but I hope you see where the joke was going... :(

No, the 3 episodes that were prescreened at Anime Expo and then at Crunchyroll's Anime Movie Night are the first 3 episodes of the TV series proper. (The third prequel OAD episode isn't even out yet.)

I always thought that, surely, they would reuse the OAD material into the new tv series. Maybe in an extended flashback, if the first episodes are different?

I always thought that, surely, they would reus the OAD material into the new tv series. Maybe in an extended flashback, if the first episodes are different?

The OAD material itself is framed as an extended flashback. Theoretically it could be incorporated into the TV show somewhere down the line, but I doubt it will be (unless Wit gets behind and needs to hit the emergency button, like when Natsume S6 aired an OAD episode instead of a new episode because of Shuka's production difficulties).

Qurupeke

The Reflection 3

Fuck, that was disappointing. It doesn't even feel it's going for the old comics feeling outside of its aesthetics. I kind of liked what was going on with the parallels of a hero fighting for fame and another one fighting on the shadows, but it's becoming apparent that this isn't the show's focus. Also, the robot power was really dumb, I hated it. The weird fat guy also deserves a mention for his dumb power.

Line_HTX

Ahh, I was wondering why the eps on Crunchyroll had slightly different order of events than the ones I saw in the theater.

The Reflection 3

These awkward cuts to the idol group to get THEIR opinion on recent events, which is very vital if it isn't clear, keep getting more and more awkward.

For a show about superheroes, this isn't presenting very interesting characters nor battle scenes. The latter is particularly worrying when the two action scenes in the show were so boring and ended in such anticlimactic fashions that instead of being a highlight of the episode they were just another scene.

X-On's personality is non existent, the way he
ultimately teams up with the girl
were so mundane. Right now the show's only strength is its unique art style, and I'm giving it 1 or 2 more episodes to see if that alone can keep me watching. This feels like such a disappointing team-up with legendary Stan Lee if this is the best they could come up with.

These Fate Grand Order commercials are getting ridiculous.

Is this the same studio that did the Fate GO OVA ep?
I've been wondering that. It certainly looks about on par with Lerche's general quality these days. Would make sense for them to do it since they're doing the inevitable Grand Order anime, right?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
The flag girl is actually Ishtar.

I would've said Ishtarin but not everyone plays the game.

And in this case, it's not really a reuse of design, more of an excuse to get masters in as servants, e.g. Waver. There's some in-game justification of the shenanigans.

I mean this current season Netflix got the two arguably most popular series in Kakegurui and Fate. People keep making jokes about "riding the seven seas" to watch anime again, but I feel like the more people normalize it again, the more likely they're to just cancel their Crunchyroll sub because what would even be the point?

Is kakegurui really something of mainstream appeal and popularity to folks, I dont think its that popular,

Lol Mappa are animating the manga about a old dude that turns into a robot or some shit next season.

Also reminder the creator of the series is the same guy that wrote Gantz.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - 30

How many people are Newtypes in this show again? Kamille, Fa, and Jerid? Is freaking Katz one too? I'm staring to lose track here.

RIP Maour. If Jared's hate-boner for Kamille wasn't massive enough already he's going to go insane by the end of this show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom