• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
What do all these poeple taking pictures of cosplayers gonna do with those pictures?

This ain't japan where they could sell photobooks.

Sharing or just something to remember i guess. Got a few picture with cosplayer in my memory card and i have no idea what to do with them other than looj at it and chuckle

Defuser

"Dad? Why do you have a picture of a random girl wearing a string under her boobs? Or that girl wearing a torn uniform exposing her underboobs and carrying a half scissors? You seem to have a whole catalog of those!!"

Jintor

actually one of the weird things about digital photography is that while you might put that shit up on twitter or fb to an audience of hundreds or thousands, you tend to make less photo albums to keep around the house.

my family has a gap from about 2004-2008 after film cameras died off but facebook didn't exist where there's just a dearth of family photos

Theonik

I don't see why not if you go there and get peoples permission to take photos.
Consent does not denote intent!

What do all these poeple taking pictures of cosplayers gonna do with those pictures?

This ain't japan where they could sell photobooks.
Usually just show to mates or occasionally chuckle at them.

Twitter? Instagram? Blog galleries? Like... why do people take photos of anything?
Generally I try to avoid this unless you ask them beforehand. Taking a picture is one thing showing it to 30k people is another.

Moreover being a female cosplayer in cons can suck somewhat in the volume of persistent people asking for photos. Tend to avoid got that reason.

Someone's not following Karen's Words of Wisdom

10a.jpg

Hey. Hey. I limited it to two. That's close to the number 1.

Quasar

Knights & Magic 1 - First new show I didn't drop before the end of episode 1. Was kind of alright I guess...I guess interesting for isekai anime that we see the transportee living through a new childhood and apparently using his adult knowledge to try and shortcut his second childhood.

/XX/

The only two staff members (besides The Pillows) who have been listed as returning are Tsurumaki and Sadamoto, but Tsurumaki is just a "Supervisor", which means he might not be doing anything but lending his name for promotional purposes, and Sadamoto is just "Original Character Design", which means they're just reusing some of his original FLCL characters because Sadamoto doesn't actually draw anymore.
I thank him for at least giving us in the meantime his works at the 45yen 'dōjin' circle as a substitute (and his involvement in Black Rose Suspects, if that counts). :-D

For the case of that new FLCL project, I'd mention that his credit of "original character design" might be more that it seems; given the information about the producers asking for his input on the process for the creation of new characters, I could liken the task for Chikashi Kubota as something akin to a visual design adaptation of Mr. Sadamoto's work too:

I see... Next I would like to ask you about FLCL 2, at what stage is the production right now?

Sadamoto: Aaah. Well, it's another studio so I don't know the details either, but the director was decided, and now I guess they're working on the script. That's more or less where they are. Besides, for the characters, there were talks about what kind of characters there would be, and I just received the first command for the designs. And I've not sent the drafts yet. (laugh)

Are you only doing the designs or a little more?

Sadamoto: At first they wanted to make Haruko's character appear, you know, the heroine of the first series. They wanted to use her in FLCL 2, so they asked me if they could use my name, and I attended the meeting for that purpose. Then they showed me all the characters there would be, and asked me how many I could handle. So... it'll be impossible for me to do all of them, but I'm willing to help with some of the main ones.
https://wavemotioncannon.com/2017/0...uki-yamaga-yoshiyuki-sadamoto-september-2016/

just Made in Abyss
this is one I might have to let others go forth with it because I've heard it
turns grimdark
and I'd like to see reactions first.
Just saying that I wouldn't mention this as its main draw. I don't find it to be suffering for the sake of suffering either, but a way to heighten the sense of adventure and delve into the frightening unknown it distils. I also appreciate how it doesn't exactly revolves around a sensation of total despair some grim works do in a psychological manner, but as a form of depicting the strange and inscrutable ways of the abyss as it's also accepted willingly by the characters. Anyway, the series' first run probably won't reach 'best dad' appearance so it shouldn't delve on too heavy-handed stuff in full.

Tunoku

So GAF, do you have a MAL account to keep track of your anime list (watched, dropped, plan to watch, etc)?

I've just made one the other day and I feel like I should've made it years, if not a decade, ago. Because I keep forgetting if I have watched certain anime or not at some point. I've been busy adding stuff to my list in the past few days.

I actually don't use MAL, but Anichart/Anilist. I randomly stumbled upon it and liked the look of the site. The UI can be clunky at times, but it lets you pick your rating system which is neat.

/XX/

https://twitter.com/Gurren_Project/status/881801381627142144

Major Gurren Laggan announcement coming on July 5th.

new pachinko let's goo
That will be a CM for the upcoming project DARLING in the FRANKXX, as per the very own words of Yūichi Fukushima (who is an A-1 Pictures producer):

福島祐一 on Twitter: "AXのトリガーさんのパネルにて発表ありましたTRIGGER & A-1 Picturesという並びの情報が出る時が来るとは…7月5日24時半〜グレンラガンの再放送内のCM告知是非ご覧くださいませ!!"
https://twitter.com/2940san/status/881739392854904834

Guilty Crown EP 1 - 06

Trying to give this show a second chance. Man it's so fucking generic. I love the music though.

Ugh.

Might drop it and not waste my time. Anyone recommend an anime that is 1) Not generic high school stuff/forced high school stuff for no reason. 2) Not edge lord as hell (ITS COOL BECAUSE BLOOD!!) 3) Actual interesting characters and not this nonsense high school boy who instantly falls for the damaged goods girl who barely talks, but always gets into "pervy fanservice" moments.

Once again, good opening song though.

BLast of Tempest
Tsuritama
Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere
M3

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Katsugeki Touken Ranbu 01
I had not watched anything from ufotable for years and I quickly came to regret changing that.

Jintor

from that, added to watchlist:

restaurant to another world
centaur life
classroom elite looks like a poorly disguised killing game anime, so maybe?
HOLY SHIT TSURE DURE CHILDREN IS GETTING AN ANIME? actually i kid i saw the announcement on the manga a while ago. still it's good and i hope it's a good anime

and MHA of course

Tonton

IDK if anything quite catches my interest
I do want to try Knight's and Magic but I have a feeling it'll be bad because nintendoman is actually giving it a chance

IDK if anything quite catches my interest
I do want to try Knight's and Magic but I have a feeling it'll be bad because nintendoman is actually giving it a chance

It's not great so far. The Mechs, I think, are cool, but otherwise it crams in so much plot, skipping apparently multiple chapters from the manga and Light Novels, that you'll get the gist of the story, but won't feel at all attached or engaged.

Aiii

So not worth it
So let me get this straight, to get Anime Strike I have to get Prime Video as well? That's a damn hard sell that 14 bucks.

No Chromecast support right?

How is the encode quality? And the quality of the subs on there?

So let me get this straight, to get Anime Strike I have to get Prime Video as well? That's a damn hard sell that 14 bucks.

No Chromecast support right?

How is the encode quality? And the quality of the subs on there?

I dunno about Chromecast. Generally via our Roku, on a 720P 32" TV the episodes look pretty good. The subtitles also generally look on point. I think I've seen less typos than on Crunchyroll.

It's not really worth 14 bucks unless you also plan on utilizing Prime, which we do, but it's a hard sell if you literally just want the anime library.

Aiii

So not worth it
I dunno about Chromecast. Generally via our Roku, on a 720P 32" TV the episodes look pretty good. The subtitles also generally look on point. I think I've seen less typos than on Crunchyroll.

It's not really worth 14 bucks unless you also plan on utilizing Prime, which we do, but it's a hard sell if you literally just want the anime library.

Thanks! I'm sure I can find some use out of the Prime Video offering to supplement the rest of my streaming services. The rest of Prime isn't interesting to me since I'm not from the US (sssh, don't tell them), but I guess I can do a free trial first to see if Prime Video is worth the bother.

I have a Shield TV and an Apple TV so I can get streaming working through that, but my bedroom only has a Chromecast... Guess I can dig up my old Apple TV 2 and hook that up and use Airplay.

Watching Anime is such a bother sometime, why can't things be easy?

Thanks! I'm sure I can find some use out of the Prime Video offering to supplement the rest of my streaming services. The rest of Prime isn't interesting to me since I'm not from the US (sssh, don't tell them), but I guess I can do a free trial first to see if Prime Video is worth the bother.

I have a Shield TV and an Apple TV so I can get streaming working through that, but my bedroom only has a Chromecast... Guess I can dig up my old Apple TV 2 and hook that up and use Airplay.

Watching Anime is such a bother sometime, why can't things be easy?

Because we make Jesus cry every time we watch and no one wants to easily enable that. :p

Tonton

It's not great so far. The Mechs, I think, are cool, but otherwise it crams in so much plot, skipping apparently multiple chapters from the manga and Light Novels, that you'll get the gist of the story, but won't feel at all attached or engaged.
I think I'll wait for a few episodes before jumping in or not at least then

Tonton

Can you watch Fate/Apocrypha without watching all the previous entries in the series ?

It's an unrelated alternate universe story so you should probably be fine

people were already complaining about exposition in the first episode so it should probably be explaining everything to you!

Tunoku

Is Fate/Apocrypha the beginning of the Fate/ onslaught that awaits us over the next couple of years? I read that there's approximately 1478 new shows coming out.

Tonton

Is Fate/Apocrypha the beginning of the Fate/ onslaught that awaits us over the next couple of years? I read that there's approximately 1478 new shows coming out.

I think that technically started with Fate Grand Order First Order at the start of the year

But it's good new regardless, what a time to be alive, etc

As part of my quest to continue chipping away at my endless backlog, I decided to pick up and finish watching the rest of the extended catalog of Girls und Panzer material post the TV series.

Girls und Panzer: OVA Collection

Centered around the casts antics throughout the main television series, these six OVAs focused mostly on the cast and their quirks rather than on the tank action. That wasn't necessarily a problem, though I would've liked more the cast to be included in a number of these episodes as I found watching them all at once with no tank action to break them up, their paper-thin personalities started to wear a little bit. But the OVAs aren't long enough to wear out their welcome, though I'd say these are probably the most disposable of the extra material for the franchise (outside of maybe the school ship episode, which highlighted exactly what their function was and how they were maintained, which was neat).

Girls und Panzer: This is the Real Anzio Battle!

As an OVA designed around showcasing the one battle we never got to see in the original television series, I was pretty pleased with how the Real Anzio Battle turned out. Like a slightly longer episode of the show with an improved budget, everything here feels like a nice return to form after the OVAs, especially since the tactics of the Anzio team are significantly different than any opponents they've faced before, making the match at the end more exciting despite knowing how it was going to end. Top that with a fun side-story that features one of the other tank captains and Anchovy herself being a nice addition to the rival tank commander crew and you have the makings of a classic OVA.

Girls und Panzer der Film

Now, I thought the Real Anzio Battle looked like a pretty impressive step up from the original television series, but watching the jump from there to the movie was something else! The CGI tanks here are absolutely gorgeous, and beautifully rendered throughout, which is really saying something given how much of the film's run time consists of tank battles. If you loved Girls und Panzer for its gratuitous tank action, then look no further because you'll get your fill here and then some. The final showdown that takes up almost an hour (nearly half the length of the film) is a nonstop thrill ride the likes of which I haven't experienced for some time. Is it a bit one-note: sure. Is the setup for the final conflict a bit contrived: sure. But as one of those animated movies of a successful television series that aims to distill the best of what that series provided in the best looking package possible with all the fluff removed, you'd be hard pressed to find many that execute that goal better than Girls und Panzer der Film.

Line_HTX

There's only Fate Grand Order First Order, Apocrypha, and Heaven's Feel this year. I think I have that right.

Kind of curious on when there'll be a full fledged Grand Order TV series.

Exalted

It's an unrelated alternate universe story so you should probably be fine

people were already complaining about exposition in the first episode so it should probably be explaining everything to you!

I see , thank you.

I actually watched the very first one, so i'm kinda familiar with the grail wars. But wasn't really interested in retelling of the same story again, so i skipped the later entries. But with this season looking kinda bleak in terms of action shows , i might watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom