• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's only Fate Grand Order First Order, Apocrypha, and Heaven's Feel this year. I think I have that right.

Kind of curious on when there'll be a full fledged Grand Order TV series.
Don't forget SHAFT's Fate/Extra adaptation due next winter season (yes, that's next year, but it should start as soon as Apocrypha ends). I imagine the Grand Order TV show is most likely to come out after Fate/Extra (so next summer, maybe).

blurr

Baby Driver

An audio visual parade I haven't had the chance to experience in a while.

And I should really get to watching that Scott Pilgrim movie.

If you liked s1 then please check out Kagewani too. It's like what you watched but with cryptid shit and an overarching narrative.

Kagewani is the one with shadow monsters right? I loved S1, but then S2 (or was it 3?) went into this overarching narrative instead of the episodic monster of the week nature of S1 and I kind of lost interest.

Qurupeke

Knight's and Magic 1

I can't. Dropped. Between the too perfect MC and the fact that the show looks completely dull and generic, I think I'll pass.

Yami Shibai S2

The stories in here were already nowhere near as interesting as S1. Spoopy levels dropped down exponentially. I'll just go straight to S5 if S3 and 4 are supposed to be even worst.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Battle Girl High School: Battle Girl Project Episode 1

This exists and yea that is about it, about as generic as you can get in terms of magical girl series.

Ascheroth

Nintendoman isekai 01

ns6wgaD.jpg
Nd7HZfu.jpg

First, to clear up some confusion about the adaption speed. This episode adapted about ¾ of the first novel, not 1½ novels.
The novel can be really longwinded at parts from what I remember, so cutting some fat isn't exactly an immediate negative, but this went still too fast. They should have at least given Ernestis childhood and the school part an entire episode. I hope they slow down.
Outside of that it was fairly entertaining, if only to watch the MCs passion for robots and some nice Orange CG as their haven't really been any character moments yet.

phaze

Kekkai Sensen & Beyond trailer.

Not that much to grab onto to be honest.

Wasn't this supposed be a reboot at some point ? Looks more like a continuation.

Jesus, I didn't step in here for like 3 months and I feel at loss here. I'm not even sure what are the shows to watch for the summer.

The only anime that counts:

Castlevania

Going by the (really good) Kakegurui OP the series will either be

1. Emasculated useless male MC gets routinely owned. Literally
2. Useless male MC gets shoved to the side because lesbians

Either are good. I think I'll like this show a lot.

Surprised you're not reading the manga already. Seems like a perfect fit. It's mostly the second from what little I've read.

What is it about? I heard the title a few times before.

Okada being Okada.

The main female character is super withdrawn to the point of not being able to speak but gets herself into organizing some school event (theatre play I think) + a few other subplots for other characters.

Fate/Something 01

Time is a flat circle where you're eternally subjected to Servant summonings, Grail War that gets more and more hilarious and various colors of Saber.

Also poor Jean, no matter if it's real life or anime she's always stuck with idiots for Masters.

Naruto Shippuuden 484-500 + Boruto the movie:

Decided to finish Naruto Shippuuden as I was bored and originally I had skipped everything after Sasuke vs naruto mach as I heard they aired semi filler to the end after that. To my surprise I actually liked especially the last wedding mini arc. Enjoyed the kinda slice of life feeling that arc had. Then decided to watch Boruto movie and god damn that sakuga with battle scenes. Movie itself was also surprisingly good. Maybe I will actually start the Boruto tv series after this

Either way I find it hard to relate to the male Kakegurui MC because his reaction to getting owned and being the chair of some rich lady isn't joy

Kekegurui - 01
Yo this OP though.

Also this show is fascinating in general. I'm into it. With Fate and this I'm already more invested in this season with only one episode of each than I was back then. Can't wait to see the rest of the Summer offerings after the huge drought of unique shows that we had in the Spring.

Szadek

Katsugeki/Touken Ranbu - Ep. 1
That sure as fuck was one boring opening episode. The best part were the action scenes, which are passable.
You are probably better of watching something else.

Symphogear AXZ -Ep. 1
tumblr_osg2xkimj21tc7ygao1_500.gif

Yup, that was Symphogear at it's best.
They did a great job at setting up the new villains, which apperently were secretly the main antagonist of the series the whole time.
Looks like Chris is going to get more develpoment fairly soon, so that should be interesting.

I watch a few other shows as well, but gave up on them before the first episode was over.

Its like Shimoneta where the girl is the main focus of everything but the male MC is there as an anchor.

Maybe, maybe the male MC in Kakegurui peaces out

I've read the manga. He sticks around. He pretty much serves as the straight man in the series to filter all the crazy and to provide the explanation for how the rules of these games actually works to the readers/viewers.

Cross-posting this from the LWA off-topic thread, because you guys are probably much better candidates to answer this question---

For the Netflix Little Witch Academia release, I haven't been able to check out the official subs myself, but I hear a lot of sentiment that they really pale in comparison to the fansubs.

Other than the Shiny Chariot catchphrase, has anyone seen any 1:1 comparison screenshots, or even lines of text that are good examples?

Something along the lines of those fire emblem comparison screenshots would be perfect, but transcribed individual line would be great too.

I heard one of the major shortcomings of the netflix subs are translations of the latin and mythological names.

It takes a long while to flesh everything out. Keep going.

'Kay. But I am going to prioritize Kakegurui because that PV makes me super interested and gives me No Game No Life and Death Note vibes. But I still plan to watch it alongside WorldEnd and Saekano Season 2. I need to do a bit of catch-up this season.

Cornbread78

'Kay. But I am going to prioritize Kakegurui because that PV makes me super interested and gives me No Game No Life and Death Note vibes. But I still plan to watch it alongside WorldEnd and Saekano Season 2. I need to do a bit of catch-up this season.

Sounds good. Sukasuka and Saekano S2 were both really good as well.

I tried to watch the first episode of Clean Freak! Aoyama kun, but I straight up fell asleep half way through it.

I don't think that show works as a comedy or sports show, and it has a weirdly serious opening.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
Restaurant to Another World Episode 1

the first half of the episode is not very good, the transition to the restaurant and the magical elements lacked something. The second half made the world and characters look a lot better and interesting, i might continue watching it.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
MPR is the rugC of animegaf, but he has no one to step on him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom