• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

Kakegurui - Ep. 1
This was everything I wanted from this anime.
Not sure if they can keep the premise interesting for the entire runtime, but so far it's a blast.

Battle Girl High School: Battle Girl Project 01

Generic af battle magical girls. nothing at all was interesting about this but my taste is awful so I'll keep watching.

Symphogear AXZ 01

I couldn't stop smiling between the anti-aircraft stations being destroyed by a spinning motorcycle blade, Hibiki punching tank shots and giga drilling through a flying airship or Chris just being all round best. Yup this is more Symphogear and exactly what I wanted from an opening episode.

Qurupeke

'Kay. But I am going to prioritize Kakegurui because that PV makes me super interested and gives me No Game No Life and Death Note vibes. But I still plan to watch it alongside WorldEnd and Saekano Season 2. I need to do a bit of catch-up this season.

I may be proven wrong, but Kakegurui doesn't really give me the impression that its main asset is the mind games. The first episode, at least, was very nonchalant about that. If anything, its faces and the crazy, over the top way everyone acts is the reason to watch that.

e_i

Symphogear AXZ -Ep. 1
tumblr_osg2xkimj21tc7ygao1_500.gif

Yup, that was Symphogear at it's best.
They did a great job at setting up the new villains, which apperently were secretly the main antagonist of the series the whole time.
Looks like Chris is going to get more develpoment fairly soon, so that should be interesting.

I watch a few other shows as well, but gave up on them before the first episode was over.

And Symphogear continues to completely over the top.

I actually don't use MAL, but Anichart/Anilist. I randomly stumbled upon it and liked the look of the site. The UI can be clunky at times, but it lets you pick your rating system which is neat.

I actually just switched over thanks to your mention of it. I like how Anilist offers far more customization with the way you score and even giving you the option of switching to the English Translations of the titles.

JulianImp

First few episodes of the season:

Fox Spirit whatever
Nope, dropped the first episode shortly after part B began, and I don't think I'll be picking it up again. The humor's cheap, the MC's awful, and there's it feels like the animation's pretty odd, with lots of very fast cuts that look like they're there to cut corners and made action scenes a bit confusing.

Katsugeki
"We've got it rough compared to the bad guys, because we can't send more than two people back in time at once"
*their leader then shows up and summons three of his allies a couple minutes later*

...Seriously, show? Sorry, but I'm not going to keep watching this. Generic cast, generic plot, and random time travel rules that can apparently get bypassed on a whim make for a show that isn't quite my cup of tea. I might pick it back up if it gets better later on, but I'm passing up on it for now.

Look at the clusterfuck of anime streaming services this season and tell me this doesn't drive people back to pirating, I dare you.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Look at the clusterfuck of anime streaming services this season and tell me this doesn't drive people back to pirating, I dare you.

Honestly I'm at the point where if a show isn't on Crunchyroll I just don't even care. I've become more casual in terms of anime I'm watching and I'm definitely not willing to pay $20+ a month to watch a season as it airs.

Tunoku

I actually just switched over thanks to your mention of it. I like how Anilist offers far more customization with the way you score and even giving you the option of switching to the English Translations of the titles.

I think if you used MAL before, it even lets you important your data.

phaze

My Little Harem Can't Possibly Be This Meta* 09

This shows suddenly went from SoL - super powered antics to every girl (the chibi-kindergarten-loli too) realizing she wants the chuuni. I mean there were small scenes here and there but now everybody is pulling out the knives. And his friend is suddenly the final boss/harem affictionado ?!

Pretty sure a few of them are going to die soon.
The current state doesn't seem sustainable at all.

I highly doubt Amazon or Netflix will die or stop adding anime (especially since AMZN is making the right moves in JPN, and Netflix is committed to all sorts of content), plus its not like all anime fans only watch anime when it airs and not during the many weeks and months once it ends.

Hidive and Funi wont die since its the companies own services and complements their boxed and dubbed products.

On the other hand, I find myself really annoyed by the rather lacking database concerning staff, source material and so on.

So for that MAL is better or one has to go to ANN.

Ascheroth

I think if you used MAL before, it even lets you important your data.
It does. But sadly the apps for automatically updating and managing the anime you watch aren't as good as Taiga for MAL yet :/
And I'm too lazy to take care of a list by hand.

Qurupeke

My Little Harem Can't Possibly Be This Meta* 09

This shows suddenly went from SoL - super powered antics to every girl (the chibi-kindergarten-loli too) realizing she wants the chuuni. And his friend is suddenly the final boss/harem affictionado ?!

Mirei was robbed.

On the other hand, I find myself really annoyed by the rather lacking database concerning staff, source material and so on.

So for that MAL is better or one has to go to ANN.

MAL is an awful resource for anime staff. Poorly organized and with very incomplete information. ANN is the only mostly reliable English database for anime staff.

TUSR

Banned
Amazon Strike tweets out different release dates than the posted times on their website.

Who do I trust?

Windy Tales 4

A weirdly directed episode. It felt disconcertingly disjointed between the non-chronological bits of editing and the periodic interjections of different parts of the same fantasy(?) scene. I also have no idea why it randomly decided to cut out audible dialogue in the middle of one scene in favor of written subtitles. The core story was good though. I appreciated that Jun decided to sacrifice his desire to have a pet in favor of providing a companion for a lonely old woman.

MAL is an awful resource for anime staff. Poorly organized and with very incomplete information. ANN is the only mostly reliable English database for anime staff.

Sure and it's why I tend to just google ANN + whatever I'm searching these days.

Yet, MAL is still leagues above Anilist in that regard and users would want their listing sites to have that functionality as well. Takes a while for most users to figure out that MAL's database isn't that good and ANN should be used, too.

Besides, ANN itself doesn't have stellar design either.

JulianImp

Honestly I'm at the point where if a show isn't on Crunchyroll I just don't even care. I've become more casual in terms of anime I'm watching and I'm definitely not willing to pay $20+ a month to watch a season as it airs.

This. I'm more likely to keep watching good shows from seasons past rather than spending more money on streaming services just to watch one or two decent shows per season. Heck, CR is even watchable without a sub as long as you're oaky with being a week behind compared to subscribers.

Sure and it's why I tend to just google ANN + whatever I'm searching these days.

Yet, MAL is still leagues above Anilist in that regard and users would want their listing sites to have that functionality as well. Takes a while for most users to figure out that MAL's database isn't that good and ANN should be used, too.

Besides, ANN itself doesn't have stellar design either.

MAL and Anilist appear to be about equivalent when it comes to staff information? I think Anilist probably straight up imported the staff information MAL had, and it's just as well organized (which is to say, not organized at all). Either way, there's no comparison to the clearly organized ANN Encyclopedia, in which it's easy to look through both the staff of a particular show and the works of a particular staff member and see who did what.

lbsa

Kino's Journey 1-13

You know an anime is special when the talking motorcycle is the least weird thing in it.

MAL and Anilist appear to be about equivalent when it comes to staff information? I think Anilist probably straight up imported the staff information MAL had, and it's just as well organized (which is to say, not organized at all). Either way, there's no comparison to the clearly organized ANN Encyclopedia, in which it's easy to look through both the staff of a particular show and the works of a particular staff member and see who did what.

Hmm right. Looks like there's more of an information issue for newer shows, maybe because they no longer import that information or at least don't do it regularly.

AoT S2 MAL offers lots more than AoT S2 AniList. And since I personally am not the best at remembering names, I tend to find little on AniList in regards to recent shows and have to go somewhere else, which sucks since I did switch from MAL to this.

ANN does have a lot of information and it's somewhat structured, but there's still so much room for improvement. Would be nice if we got proper lists we can sort instead of mostly just hyperlinks.
If, for instance, I search for episode directors it would be nice to just go in order, starting from episode 1. Like:
  1. Person_A (ep1, 3, 10, 14)
  2. Person_B (ep2, 7)
  3. Person_C (ep4)

I may be proven wrong, but Kakegurui doesn't really give me the impression that its main asset is the mind games. The first episode, at least, was very nonchalant about that. If anything, its faces and the crazy, over the top way everyone acts is the reason to watch that.

Food Wars also had a weird opening, but slowly developed itself. I am basically expecting that.

sonicmj1

Fate/Apocrypha 1

Blah blah setup whatever let's focus on what's really important.

What the fuck is this chess game?

Why are they playing on a 7x7 board? Why do they have pawns (friend and foe) on their back rows? Shouldn't those pawns have advanced? And what about that big cu-

Where's the king? Don't pawns take pieces diagonally?

I hope this guy gets destroyed.

JulianImp

At least concerning the shows I got to watch on CR so far, this season appears to be quite barren. Owari S2 not being a weekly show is quite a bummer as well, since that was the only thing I knew I'd be watching this season...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom