• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qurupeke

Garo The Animation 1

Very cool. Reminds me a lot of Berserk, but the CG is serviceable and the action is good. And that OP is stellar, holy shit.

Fate/Apocrypha 1

Blah blah setup whatever let's focus on what's really important.

What the fuck is this chess game?

Why are they playing on a 7x7 board? Why do they have pawns (friend and foe) on their back rows? Shouldn't those pawns have advanced? And what about that big cu-

Where's the king? Don't pawns take pieces diagonally?

I hope this guy gets destroyed.

Code Geass'ed.

Meier

Hopefully it's okay to ask about non summer shows. Little Witch Academia just came on Netflix.. I think I've heard this show is good. Is it only of interest to younger audiences? Also, it looks like there is a film on there called Expelled from Paradise. Worth the time to watch it?

Just plowed through Death Note.. read the manga back in the day but had never watched the show since I basically haven't watched much from 2003 on or so. I had actually forgotten how it ended so it was kind of nice to be surprised.

Re:Creators 13

LMFAO. Now this is how you do a recap episode. I usually skip at the first sign of an episode being a recap, and yet they somehow kept me engaged the entire way through.
Meteora spared nobody from her verbal assault. She even attacked the producers and designers of the show

Tunoku

It does. But sadly the apps for automatically updating and managing the anime you watch aren't as good as Taiga for MAL yet :/
And I'm too lazy to take care of a list by hand.

It's kinda satisfying to do it by hand, even though I admit I'm sometimes too lazy for it as well. But if everything is managed automatically I'd never bother to actually look at my profile.

Sterok

Battle Girl High School 1

The easy way to tell if a show like this will be trash is if they introduce a million indistinguishable high school girls in the first episode without any sort of introduction. I'm all for having lots of characters, but not when everyone is a generic moeblob with a couple of lines to determine which tropes they use.

Just T

Natsume Yuujinchou Go: OVA

Mostly a sweet episode with Nyanko-sensei and everyone drinking the old couple’s special sake. Also really bittersweet though with the powers fading and Natsume thinking about their mortality as they were previously thinking about Reiko’s. The last scene was beautiful but still had that strong bittersweet feeling.

Miss Hokusai:

This was straight, pretty much a historical slice of life following the painter O-Ei, daughter of the painter Katsushika Hokusai. She was a pretty interesting lead to follow and there was a good bit of touching moments in this, as well as a very sad one. Production I.G did a wonderful job with the animation and with a surprising touch of fantasy to the story there were different styles of it. The soundtrack for this was kinda weird though, one side of it was these fitting classical soft sounds then on other side is a more modern music that just clashes with the scenes and is loud at that, it really stood out.

Quasar

When will a company rise to simulcast Anime movies in america.

I'd be happy with just streaming movies at all. That's the one big hole. And I actually thought something Amazon might get into given they stream lots of other movies and it would help differentiate Strike.

That's actually why I sent AnimeLab a praising email when they streamed a bunch of movies there during April, even though they were ones I'd already seen.

Tonton

I really hated the next episode preview of Dragon Ball Super because it seems the next episode will focus on Goku and Vegeta and that is already the whole show

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Restaurant to Another World 1

People being really stupid about food

Kickz

Inuyasha The Final Act Ep 26 [Finale]

Holy timeskip batman, Miroku wasted no time these 3 years.
Pretty campy ending here, but it tied things up neatly.

Season started extremely fast but kind mellowed out since Kikiyo doomed Naraku midway through the season with her trap.
Good to finally get this finished, after seeing bits and pieces of it since its original airing on AdultSwim back in early 00s.

So curiosity got the better of me, and I decided to check out the first episode of Clean Freak! Aoyama-kun again to see if the natural need for sleep took me last night, or if the show really did put me to sleep on the first attempt.

Aoyama-kun Round 2 FIGHT
DD2_Yl9_WXg_AIu_N29.jpg

On one positive note, I actually kinda like this guy's character design.

So, Aoyama-kun lies at the absolute ass end of the comedic animation spectrum. This first episode is just complete devoid of anything resembling clever gags or well timed jokes. There's nothing that even remotely tickled my funny bone, and a lot of that is probably due to just how boring the sight gags are in this show. This...
DD2bxjt_WAAAY6_Xw.jpg

Move over Sun and Moon.
is the most expressive the episode got as far comedy went. The other sight gags don't fare any better. Look the big guy is eating a Doughnut while playing. Look, they're chibi-form! Look women think he's hot because he washes his...hands...a lot...

Comedic excellence ladies and gentlemen. The bar has been raised.

So, about a month after the first cour? If I'm not mistaken Kuromukuro was uploaded with the end of each cour but LWA was on Netflix with the end of the series. They're quite inconsistent....

I think the inconsistency comes from LWA launching with a dub, where as Kuro launched subbed only. I imagine Netflix is crunching data, or just messing around to see what works, and believes that dubs get more views than just launching the anime subbed.

Oh yeah:

Elegant Yokai Apartment Life Ep. 1
Bit of snooze fest. It was.. okay at times? It seems a tad dull though.

Restaurant to Another World Ep. 1
This one was visually more appealing than anything else yet this season. Colors really popped, I like some of the fantasy designs, and I think the Chef's VA is Takahashi sensei from Interviews. That said, man this dragged. Very slow.

Love and Lies Ep. 1
Finally! Something that had drama, suspense, love,
and lies!
wasn't perfect, even a bit melodramatic, but I actually felt engaged finally, after all the other duds.

Mokoi

Banned
Didn't watch anything past season. Thinking of re-upping crunchy, but am I missing any must watches? So far these are what I got.

KADO, Eccentric Fam 2, hero acad

Cornbread78

Didn't watch anything past season. Thinking of re-upping crunchy, but am I missing any must watches? So far these are what I got.

Grimoire of Zero
Sword of Oratoria
My Hero Academia S2
Sukasuka
Tsuki ga kirei
Eccentric Family S2

O.O oh no. Save yourself. Unless you know that it gets bad and just want to see by how much.

Miss Hokusai:

This was straight, pretty much a historical slice of life following the painter O-Ei, daughter of the painter Katsushika Hokusai. She was a pretty interesting lead to follow and there was a good bit of touching moments in this, as well as a very sad one. Production I.G did a wonderful job with the animation and with a surprising touch of fantasy to the story there were different styles of it. The soundtrack for this was kinda weird though, one side of it was these fitting classical soft sounds then on other side is a more modern music that just clashes with the scenes and is loud at that, it really stood out.

The director put the rock music in the film because he discovered during the process of making it that the author of the original manga would often listen to rock music while working and wanted to pay tribute to her.

JulianImp

Seconding the recommendation for Tsuki ga Kirei and that you steer clear from Kado.

Aki-at

Avoid Kado unless you're looking for something really stupid to happen by the end as it squanders all potential it had by going full anime.

Question about Hyouka.

Ive been meaning to watch it since it is finally available in the US legally, but i honestly have no idea if id even like it. Seems like a high school mystery thing whose quality would be completely based on execution above all else.

Is it worth watching if I

Hated Sound Euphonium
Loved Dragon Maid
So-So on K-On

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Question about Hyouka.

Ive been meaning to watch it since it is finally available in the US legally, but i honestly have no idea if id even like it. Seems like a high school mystery thing whose quality would be completely based on execution above all else.

Hated Sound Euphonium
Loved Dragon Maid
So-So on K-On
No.

Question about Hyouka.

Hated Sound Euphonium
Loved Dragon Maid
So-So on K-On

seems like you loved the trashy kyoani and hated the 'classier' sooooo probably not?

For what it's worth many consider it among the better kyoani shows.

Defuser

Question about Hyouka.

Hated Sound Euphonium
Loved Dragon Maid
So-So on K-On
Hyouka beginning is weak but it pick up as it goes along and ended up becoming one of the best shows KyoAni ever done.

I feel like I could recommend a ton of shows but I also feel like I should try to walk the line with a recommendation that will make you feel by looking at it that I am screwing with you.

Angel Beats.

I will say though, I wish you would continue with guilty crown. if you hate it that much already I would love to see your impression when the show gets to the point where most people hate it lol.

more seriously...
ghost in the shell SAC.

Seen those. Enjoyed Angel Beats enough. Ghost in the Shell... eh, enjoyed it but not a massive fan of the franchise or anything.

But yeah I think I watched til Episode 10 last night. The main character suddenly having a break down cause he mercy killed someone... completely ignoring the fact that he and his compatriots have been shooting, stabbing, and killing every random guard minding their own business for 9 episodes to that point was something I can't stand in anime. Don't try to have those moments of "omg ive done something terrible" after you have been doing it willy nilly the whole time. It falls completely flat.

Not to mention the sudden introduction of their "L" younger, quirky, wearing white, similar power/skill, but clearly stronger. Bingo bango. I'm out guys.

No idea... I tried when it first aired and dropped it soon as they went back into high school after getting super powers.

Same thing with other animes like Seraph of the End and what not. Why/how the fuck is this story about high school all of a sudden. A plot where most of the adults were murdered, the children were enslaved as vampire food /slaves and you STILL found some way to make it a high school setting. Come on with this crap.

I'm fine with high school, fanservice and what not when its the base of it all from the jump. When its clearly a weird not thought out reasoning I just can't.

You have good taste -> You'll love Hyouka.

edit
More accurately: You dislike Hyouka -> You have bad taste.

Do you want to find out the truth about your taste?

jett

D-Member
Been watching HAJIME NO IPPO

This shit's plain awesome. I don't have much else to say. Finished the first series and the two OVAs and I'm in the middle of of the second series.

One thing I don't like about the second "season" is that the switch to digital production is really obvious (well it started with the OVAs I guess). I really liked the traditional animation in the first season, that old school look was really appealing to me. Oh well.

Cornbread78

Seen those. Enjoyed Angel Beats enough. Ghost in the Shell... eh, enjoyed it but not a massive fan of the franchise or anything.

But yeah I think I watched til Episode 10 last night. The main character suddenly having a break down cause he mercy killed someone... completely ignoring the fact that he and his compatriots have been shooting, stabbing, and killing every random guard minding their own business for 9 episodes to that point was something I can't stand in anime. Don't try to have those moments of "omg ive done something terrible" after you have been doing it willy nilly the whole time. It falls completely flat.

Not to mention the sudden introduction of their "L" younger, quirky, wearing white, similar power/skill, but clearly stronger. Bingo bango. I'm out guys.

No idea... I tried when it first aired and dropped it soon as they went back into high school after getting super powers.

Same thing with other animes like Seraph of the End and what not. Why/how the fuck is this story about high school all of a sudden. A plot where most of the adults were murdered, the children were enslaved as vampire food /slaves and you STILL found some way to make it a high school setting. Come on with this crap.

I'm fine with high school, fanservice and what not when its the base of it all from the jump. When its clearly a weird not thought out reasoning I just can't.

Have you seen Barakamon?

Fate/Apocrypha 01

Non-CG skeleton warriors. Bravo for A-1 doing what ufotable couldn't. Also laughing at Flat being included as part of the exposition section, despite not being relevant until Fate/strange fake gets inevitably animated.

Mokoi

Banned
O.O oh no. Save yourself. Unless you know that it gets bad and just want to see by how much.
Seconding the recommendation for Tsuki ga Kirei and that you steer clear from Kado.
Avoid Kado unless you're looking for something really stupid to happen by the end as it squanders all potential it had by going full anime.
Ha, alright well that's good to know. I guess it is one of those, glad to know it becomes like that in the end.

zulux21

Well, it should be covering one of the best arcs in the series. After that it gets a bit dicey, though it's been getting better recently.

I forget did we finish the Moon Banquet Festival Arc in a single episode (as the guide I am looking at said it was the 13th episode of soma), or is that what you are referring to because the arc after that Central arc is pure garbage.

I mean the moon banquet festival wasn't bad but it wasn't great either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom