• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Szadek

at this point I can safely say I give zero fucks about Fate anymore. I'm not gonna watch F/A anymore.

Maybe I'll watch the Ufotable films when they come out, but outside of playing the games some years back when I was able to tolerate that shit and Fate Zero, it seems like every other show starts promising and then starts drowning in waifu and weird loli shit that takes away from any of the possibly cool characters that might be in it.
F/A was always shit. C'mon it's LN+Fate+A-1. That could never end well.
Maybe Shaft can make something good fate related. As a Shaft fan boy I have to watch it anyway.

Stardust Crusaders 36

DIQWF59XgAA1HzE.jpg

DIQWHX2WAAAsKIA.jpg

DIQWIU-XYAABtLE.jpg

DIQWK7cXkAENZPD.jpg

The most dramatic sticking your fingers up someone's nose that has ever been animated. Those rough smears are straight out of Ashita no Joe.

Joe Molotov

Centaur 08

lol, wut? Is there plot happening in my moe centaur girl anime? And I don't mean PLOT, although there was plenty of PLOT in this episode as well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Princess Principal Episode 8:

Right then, after a couple of shoddy episodes we are back on track as this episode finally clues in on what suspension of disbelief is and lays out a spy caper more plausible. Though once again that is a backdrop and this time all of the threads that were touched upon in passing regarding Charlotte and Ange are fully revealed. Indeed if you have been paying attention there isn't a whole much in the way of new information but what is being added here is texture and depth to the relationship so it can shine as the presumed One Real Thing in this web of shadows and spies.

Qurupeke

Princess Principal 8

I really liked this episode. The backstory was basically what everyone expected, but it was the perfect mix of cute and tragic.

Jarmel

Banned
http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/interest/2017-08-27/fans-choose-best-anime-heroines-of-summer-2017/.120514 said:
Here are fans' top ten anime heroines for the summer 2017 season:
black.png.jpg

1. Fate/Apocrypha's Rider of Black
Bueno.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 29

I'd say Yukari needs to kiss Akira to get her point across, but Akira seems to already get it, so Yukari is just being antsy. Not sure where this came from when she just had a jealousy spat a few episodes ago, but whatever. Elisio continues being the creepy villain of the season. So Yukari's issue is that despite everyone's praise of her, she thinks they're all better because they're genuine in being happy and helping others while she's more moody and less inclined to always do good for the sake of good. Interesting route to take for sure, but she seems content being not as pure as the others as long as she remains good.

Aki-at

Napping Princess

This was an enjoyable film but the final act dragged and made relatively little sense compared to what occured before it.
I was not feeling the clashing of reality and Kokone's dream ability. I had gathered that the girl in her dreams was her mother almost from the beginning and felt it worked well with the represed memories angle. This though just made the final act come completely out of the left field and sort of made a messy conclusion to what is otherwise a fine and cute/charming film.
I still liked it overall but the finale hurt the overall package.

Also the
main baddie photobombing her dad and mum got the longest laugh out of me because of his shit eating grin haha.

RedEther

Welcome to the Ballroom 08

Another good episode but I feel like there are too many stills and not enough dancing being shown/animated.

Hopefully they saved their budget for the next episode

Next episode is the last for this arc and it's a very important one

Ascheroth

Lmao, I just can't help but chuckle whenever those Xianxia stories casually throw out ridiculously large numbers in passing.

"Every so often, he would nap at the top of a mountain. At other times, he would sit down in the lotus position next to a river, listening to its waters gurgle. He would walk through an icy land of snow, then occasionally drift within the waters of a lake… and just like that, 6913 years went past."

sonicmj1

Anyway there was a while where I didn't have streaming access, so I watched some older stuff.

Garo: The Animation 11-25

I had left off on this series just before it really started heating up. Individually, episodes could be inconsistent, both in terms of production quality and in how interesting they are. But as a whole, I found it really satisfying, especially after the mid-season climax shakes up the status quo. Leon's journey from hot-headed kid out for revenge to protector of the people felt earned, and the show really knew how to sell a hot-blooded fight when it counted. Definitely felt worthwhile once I got down and finished it.

Speaking of shows that improve a lot in their second half...

Nichijou Rewatch

I started with an episode from the middle, and I wound up watching pretty much the entire series. I forgot how much I enjoyed this once it really got going.

The most obvious thing that sets Nichijou apart is its unbelievable production values, and that actually adds a lot to the show and its comedy. Nichijou often leans pretty heavily on the dreaded manzai dumb action-absurd overreaction trope for its humor, but while most comedies are rather limited in how they can show someone shocked or frustrated, here Kyoto Animation constantly lets loose. No two outbursts are the same, and that allows the show an element of almost slapstick physical comedy that you rarely see in shows of its kind. If I were more dedicated, I'd illustrate this with more examples. It's really remarkable to see in motion. The show uses so many different artistic styles for its gags, all executed at the highest level.

The other thing in the show that holds up for me (and I've mentioned this before) is that I think it does a good job building the town as a connected place where all the characters live. This is less true at first, when the cast is smaller and the Professor skits are kind of limited in where they occur. But eventually, everyone is meeting everyone else, and you often see bit players show up in the backgrounds of other skits for no other reason than to add color. That, combined with some of the smaller recurring bits such as the (adorable) "Love-Like", gives me that warm fuzzy mono-no-aware feeling that makes slice-of-life so precious.

It takes a bit of work to get going, and its sense of humor is rather... odd sometimes (some parts are practically anti-humor). Still, there's really nothing else like it. For me, it's one of Kyoto Animation's strongest shows.

Nichijou Rewatch

The other thing in the show that holds up for me (and I've mentioned this before) is that I think it does a good job building the town as a connected place where all the characters live.

The second ED, a continuous pan over a cityscape in which all the characters are going about their lives, shows this off very well.

Dynedom

Princess Principal - 08

So I didn't see that twist coming (until
Ange she started recounting the story
) and makes it all the more tragic . Good lord the feels.

jman2050

I'm still eternally sad that I just couldn't get into Nichijou's humor for the most part.

I really do believe it's still KyoAni's best-looking show.

Clov

I had been led to believe that Astolfo wasn't that popular; I had seen comments that they were only getting a Nendoroid because their voice actress requested one, and there's definitely been a lack of merchandise I can find for them here. The only thing I've found (and immediately bought, of course) was a small Fate/Grand Order keychain of them, and that wasn't even in Tokyo; it was hiding in a small Animate in Matsudo, Chiba. All the Fate/Apocrypha merch I've seen has been focused around Mordred, Jeanne, and Sieg for the most part.

Seeing how many people like Astolfo reassures me. Hopefully we'll see more figures and character goods of them soon!

there's definitely been a lack of merchandise I can find for them here. The only thing I've found (and immediately bought, of course) was a small Fate/Grand Order keychain of them, and that wasn't even in Tokyo; it was hiding in a small Animate in Matsudo, Chiba.

Maybe it's all sold out? :p

When it was announced Rie Matsumoto wasn't directing the second season of Kekkai Sensen I was a bit cautious with the new season.

However, looking at the new PV it looks to have the same vibe that season 1 had so I feel reassured. Plus more Chain screentime is a good thing.

That's another distinct possibility. :p When I went to Comiket, this Astolfo AC adapter was sold out along with the Mordred one at this one official booth, so I guess I just underestimated them.

Well, if you're desperate I guess you could always check in Melonbooks or Toranoana

They do actually have a small section of goods among the massive amounts of doujins :p

Clov

Well, if you're desperate I guess you could always check in Melonbooks or Toranoana

They do actually have a small section of goods among the massive amounts of doujins :p

Oh, that's a good idea! I should head to Toranoana later this week to see what they have.

Busaiku

I had been led to believe that Astolfo wasn't that popular; I had seen comments that they were only getting a Nendoroid because their voice actress requested one, and there's definitely been a lack of merchandise I can find for them here. The only thing I've found (and immediately bought, of course) was a small Fate/Grand Order keychain of them, and that wasn't even in Tokyo; it was hiding in a small Animate in Matsudo, Chiba. All the Fate/Apocrypha merch I've seen has been focused around Mordred, Jeanne, and Sieg for the most part.

Seeing how many people like Astolfo reassures me. Hopefully we'll see more figures and character goods of them soon!
Merchandise for male characters is always sparse, even if they're more popular with the same demographic as the female ones.
Like look at Baka & Test or Guilty Gear.

Cornbread78

Chihayafuru ep.4-6
It's been awhile, so I rewatched a couple episodes and then a new one with Chana chan. I'm not sure why I ever stopped watcging this last year, but this was good and I look forward to more!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
LMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAO

How do they even know a god damn baby needs glasses.

"baby, baby, I told you to read the classroom board."
I've had glasses since I was 2. I don't know how they knew but apparently they did.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom