• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

Started watching anohana since all my friends recommended it. Pretty eh on it after the first episode but said id finish it so I will...

Yeah, first episode was kinda pervy, but the tone changes pretty quickly and the rest is great!

Kakegurui ep.8
5YCDoDv.png

All set-up this episode..

I hate idols and I hate OP Student Council member, so go Jabami!

ibyea

Banned
Re Creators: 6-8
Things should get a lot more interesting from now on since all the cards have been laid down. We finally see what Sota's involvement with the military uniform girl is, whose name and motivation has finally been revealed. Gotta say though, Sota is an extremely frustrating character to watch, even if I think I understand why he is acting that way. There is also a focus on how some of their ideals have changed since they started dealing with issues beyond their world, while others like Alice and Blitz have yet to reconcile with certain issues considering their fictional world are dark and dystopian. The most prominent addition has been the serial killer character, and I think she is a great addition. And for a "power of friendship" kid's show magical girl, Mamika sure did turn out to be the most interesting character so far.

Narag

Re Creators: 6-8
Things should get a lot more interesting from now on since all the cards have been laid down. We finally see what Sota's involvement with the military uniform girl is, whose name and motivation has finally been revealed. Gotta say though, Sota is an extremely frustrating character to watch, even if I think I understand why he is acting that way. There is also a focus on how some of their ideals have changed since they started dealing with issues beyond their world, while others like Alice and Blitz have yet to reconcile with certain issues considering their fictional world are dark and dystopian. The most prominent addition has been the serial killer character, and I think she is a great addition.

Fun Fact: I started the show after someone on twitter couldn't stop gushing about her. No regrets.

ibyea

Banned
Fun Fact: I started the show after someone on twitter couldn't stop gushing about her. No regrets.

Oh yeah, she is great. Her powers and words are frightening, and she significantly contributes to elements of unpredictability in this show.

So I'm switching over to VRV in a few weeks after my Funimation Account expires. Decided the last show I'm going to watch on it is School Rumbles, since it's not included in VRV's catalog. Pretty funny show so far. I almost thought it was an ADV dub given who Funimation cast as the leads.

Dadasch

Steins;Gate
All in all a really great anime with a good story, funny/interesting characters - thankfully unlike other animes not too exaggerated -, with a lot of tension in the second half. The events were buildung up and there was no end in sight, but I have to say there were some things, which bugged me. Well obviously, it's a story about time travel anyway, so no surprises there.
And this episode with the date thing...why? That was so out of place.
Still, great anime. I'd put Erased still above it actually.

Your Lie in April
I guess from now on I will have to introduce myself as a whiny little bitch. It hit all the right spots...
There were passages or even whole episodes, which were a whole lot of nothing - in the sense of uneventful filler episodes -, but in the end they kinda worked. It was very much westernized though. For all I know it could have been a Hollywood Drama.

Line_HTX

『食戟のソーマ』TVアニメ公式‏ @shokugeki_anime 2m2 minutes ago

「食戟のソーマ 餐ノ皿」放送日時決定!

TOKYO MX 10月3日(火)24:30~
BS11 10月4日(水)24:00~
アニマックス 10月20日(金)24:00~

インターネット配信についても追っておしらせします!

Sweet. Got one thing for Tuesdays this Fall with Shokugeki Tuesdays!

One Piece Movie 1: Meh
One Piece Movie 2: Meh
One Piece Movie 3: Not bad. I'd seen this one without subtitles before though.
One Piece Movie 4: Good.
One Piece Movie 5: Took me multiple days to finish this one. Could not hold my attention
Turn A Gundam 1-25: It's okay. I'm not sure any of it makes all that much sense if I was to try and apply greater logic to the setting, but it's weird setting gives the most benefit to Tomino's odd ball writing style.
High School of the Dead OVA: I did not know this was 15 minutes and only 15 minutes. I am very glad I paid no more than 4 bucks on it in the Sentai Sale.
Coffee Samurai: Hilariously bizarre.
Hoshizora Kiseki: Unstoppably boring.
Zaion Ep. 1-2: Bad, but enjoyably so. Got it at a Savers so who knows if I'll ever see Episodes 3 and 4!
Excel Saga Eps. 1-2: As weird as I remember it being. I'd seen random episodes in the middle. I thought watching from the beginning it'd make more sense. It hasn't.

Uhhhh...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autorefractor

Welcome to the 21st century. Though the machine has been around for a few decades. A lot of older optometry offices still use the manual method though.

"Now baby, stare out through this hole as a steam powered laser with no computing tries to guess how messed up your eye is"

To be fair maybe this society has the technology, I haven't seen it yet. Waiting until we're 1 episode away so I can binge. Which I assume will be in a few weeks.... unless it's two cour.

Sterok

Aikatsu Stars 70

God damn I spent this entire episode with a giant grin on my face. OGkatsu is back and show off why they're the top dogs in the idol world. Aikatsu Survival. Fog to another dimension. That needs to be an actual show. Ichigo is still a god. Lasso, axe, mountain climbing, she's done it all. My Lady Aoi is right that this is something special. Ran gets some great lines as well. And Tristar to spice things up. I think this is the first ever one on one Soleil v Tristar. They know how to make a competition. Yurika, why did you bring your bat with you anyway? Diamond Happy shows why Soleil is never giving up their throne. A very fun crossover all in all. Hopefully in the next one they can share the stage.

Oh, and bye bye Koharu next episode. She is never going to catch a break.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Made in Abyss Episode 8

Damn, Riko's eyesight has always sucked huh

7KAkFWd.png

This was explained early on. How did you miss it?

Spoilers just in case

They've known since she was brought out of the Abyss that she had a side affect from the curse. They had to craft those glasses so she could see without incurring headaches.

Cornbread78

Made in Abyss ep.8
Back to the adventure part finally. This was a really good episode, but man, there is no way they can tell this story in 4 episodes. Any chsnce at an S2 here, or will it be a complete "go read the manga" ending?

Kira Kira Precure 29

Jesus, why don't Yukari and Akira just fuck already? They're being pretty heavy handed with how they are paired off. This episode also highlights Himari at her happiest about contact with another human being.

Jarmel

Banned
Ducktales 2017-
Absolutely wonderful. The humor is on point, the art direction is gorgeous, and the characters are more interesting than their earlier iterations. This might be one of the best reboots I've ever seen. I couldn't stop smiling and laughing.

ibyea

Banned
Re Creators: 9-10
Oh these two episodes were great. Magane's presence add a great amount of tension, not to mention she stirred up so much trouble. Meanwhile, it looks like Alice is starting to reach some sort of personal turning point, while Sota's character is made slightly more interesting, and Celesia and her creator get a chance to shine.

Laiza

I should post in this thread more often.

Shingeki no Bahamut - Virgin Soul - 19

Studio Mappa remains one of the most preeminent studios in the business. There's not a lot I can say here, other than that they continue to astound me with the quality of their output and put most of the industry to shame when it comes to natural character writing (which is, of course, combined with their absolutely stellar production values). Where most writers in the industry seem content to mix it up with staid tropes, these writers put far more emphasis on making sure the characters have actual character and personality that feels appropriate for the setting and makes sense with their history.

I'm fully invested at this point and just want to see what the endgame is, which I already know is going to be a bombastic spectacle, one hopefully rivaling the original season finale.

Made in Abyss - 08

Despite the slow pace and relative lack of anything notable happening... I'm still really bloody excited to see where this series heads. There's just such a ridiculous amount of potential in the Abyss, with all the crazy gadgets they could get their hands on, the Abyss-touched people they could meet, and all the mystery of what people are actually doing down there and the white whistles and the Abyss's nature itself and and and...

I already know they're not going to answer even half the questions I have before the season's end, but damn it, this is at least one of the most effective manga advertisements I've ever watched. Heh.

Fate Apocrypha - 09

This is what I came here for. Beautiful, over-the-top, heroic spirit vs heroic spirit combat. The direction in this episode is a notable improvement over what came before, with clear lines of action and fewer wild, uncontrolled camera movements. I just wish the masters were more interesting. (The central plotline is unimportant to me, since I'm really just here for the premise.) In other circles it's been noted that the LN source has a bad habit of telling more than it needs to, a problem that the anime has successfully sidestepped thus far.

I hope they can maintain this momentum.

I should post in this thread more often.

Shingeki no Bahamut - Virgin Soul - 19

Studio Mappa remains one of the most preeminent studios in the business. There's not a lot I can say here, other than that they continue to astound me with the quality of their output and put most of the industry to shame when it comes to natural character writing (which is, of course, combined with their absolutely stellar production values). Where most writers in the industry seem content to mix it up with staid tropes, these writers put far more emphasis on making sure the characters have actual character and personality that feels appropriate for the setting and makes sense with their history.

Writers aren't generally employed by studios. The writer for Virgin Soul, Shizuka Oishi, has mainly written for live-action TV dramas up to this point; this is her first anime work.

duckroll

Writers aren't generally employed by studios. The writer for Virgin Soul, Shizuka Oishi, has mainly written for live-action TV dramas up to this point; this is her first anime work.

Honestly I will say that a lot of the quality in the show can be attributed more to the director than just the writer. He definitely has a unique vision of what sort of stories he wants to tell in anime, and he actively seeks out writers to team with who aren't traditional anime writers. Sometimes it works out better than others, but I think it's hard to argue that Tiger and Bunny, Bahamut Genesis, Bahamut Virgin Soul, Asura, and even his Saint Seiya movie, are not exactly the sort of things people expect from character interactions in anime. They feel more like serial dramas or stage productions.

Honestly I will say that a lot of the quality in the show can be attributed more to the director than just the writer. He definitely has a unique vision of what sort of stories he wants to tell in anime, and he actively seeks out writers to team with who aren't traditional anime writers. Sometimes it works out better than others, but I think it's hard to argue that Tiger and Bunny, Bahamut Genesis, Bahamut Virgin Soul, Asura, and even his Saint Seiya movie, are not exactly the sort of things people expect from character interactions in anime. They feel more like serial dramas or stage productions.

Certainly. Directors tend to have more influence than writers over the overall writing quality of an anime, from what I've seen.

ibyea

Banned
Re Creators: 11
So I guess it wouldn't be wrong to say that Kanoya was based on a certain mopey kid from a certain famous mecha anime based on his backstory? ^_^

The main point of the episode was Sota's story, and holy crap. He is a piece of shit. Not because of his jealousy, because that is a completely natural feeling, but because he let it fester and acted in a cowardly manner. But, Sota is now a more complicated character, and not a paragon of virtue like a generic protagonist, which is great.

Clov

Merchandise for male characters is always sparse, even if they're more popular with the same demographic as the female ones.
Like look at Baka & Test or Guilty Gear.

Maybe I've spent too much time in Ikebukuro, but I really feel that's not true. I've seen TONS of merchandise for male characters here, and some shops in Ikebukuro practically ONLY have merch for them. It's true that it's different outside this district, but it doesn't seem like there's a lack of merchandise for male characters in general.

It might be more accurate to say that there's a lack of merchandise for male characters for shows mainly targeting a male audience, which I feel is true in Fate/Apocrypha's case.

Laiza

Yeah, I read about that just recently. Interesting choice, and the sort of thing I'd love to see more often.

There's a sort of myopic interbreeding you get in the anime writing circles where they'll just continuously recycle the same things over and over with minimal thought, with the most variation being subversions or novel weaving of existing tropes. Going outside of that community seems to produce more interesting results.

Miyazaki had it right when he talked about the lack of real-world observation among anime producers. Or even just media consumption outside of anime, for that matter.
Funny thing, I actually wrote credit to the director in a previous draft of the post. I don't mean to downplay their contribution, of course, as their hand is clearly on display in everything the show is and does. The writing, however, still remains a standout point for me, as that's something that just wouldn't be possible without someone who knows how to make characters seem like people and not just thin caricatures or plot devices.

Easier for me to appreciate, at least, because I have actually done fiction writing quite a bit but have never directed an animation, so, yeah. Maybe one day, though...

ibyea

Banned
Re Creators: 12
The talk Alice had with her creator was a good discussion on the point of dark stories.

The rest of the episode was exposition, and based on that, oh I like where this show is going. I really like where this show is going.
Having a crossover event so they can use the power of storytelling to defeat the bad guy, I can't say no to that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom