• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Dragonaut was advertised the shit out of back in the day. Seemingly every website I went to had it on display. Caught an episode or two of it and yeesh, not good at all!

blurr

New Game is just moe trash with a much more simplified, shallow, and weak veneer of "lol game dev work look at us doing thangs" to give it a faint air of industry realism.

Yes, it's a 4-koma adaptation so it was never going to be , but I'll continue to bitch about that show because I think the game industry should get a lot better than what we've seen so far. I'd like to see a mix of Shirobako and Girlish Number for a game dev anime take.

Shirobako extends to an industry level which is a result of how anime industry operates(freelance contracts, outsourcing etc) where as New Game is at a single company level since it's closer to how game companies typically operate, I don't think that's bad on its part. If one were to criticize it making light of real industry issues then that's an argument one can consider but it's been less about a criticism of the industry than it is about what entails game making at a high level and how the creators involved feel/experience when they make, particularly, new comers. Of course, there's the humor that's not necessarily with in the thematic context(which I've found to be genuinely funny) or the yuri if that matters but I can't say I would write it off as "moe trash" over it.

Shirobako also had much better execution and was better to relate to for industry folks, even if it was light-hearted tamer depictions - many of us still connected to particular situations, personality types, etc to the point where we can think of specific moments in our careers that parallel those in the show.

I'm not sure if you've watched the second season yet but that's exactly what's going on (and had been even in season 1 albeit relatively less).

Cornbread78

Dragonaut was advertised the shit out of back in the day. Seemingly every website I went to had it on display. Caught an episode or two of it and yeesh, not good at all!

Yeah, it's pretty bad... I'm not sure if I can stick through all 24...

It's just lack of good decision making skills.

I'll accept that characterization. Sometimes, you just have to finish the bad crap you start. I'm getting much better about dropping stuff now though.

I watched 10 episodes of Bakemonogatari yesterday

what have i gotten myself into

Watch episode 12 ASAP. Best episode in the series!

BTW *monogatari is an awesome series/story. It's definitely got some "issues" which are exposed nuring Niso, but it's still an awesome show.

I watched 10 episodes of Bakemonogatari yesterday

what have i gotten myself into
The most vicious "Waifu War" in all of anime for a start!

As already stated, Monogatari's an acquired taste with some subject matter that might be objectionable to some, but damn if the dialogue and narrative structure isn't among the best in the industry.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The most vicious "Waifu War" in all of anime for a start!

As already stated, Monogatari's an acquired taste with some subject matter that might be objectionable to some, but damn if the dialogue and narrative structure isn't among the best in the industry.
It can't be a war when Senjou has won right from the beginning!

Aki-at

Re:Creators - 19

WFKjHt8.jpg
VAyNl7R.jpg

How to tell a person is really evil in anime; when they drop the line you're nothing but a jobber.

Also this wasn't how this show was suppose to go, this wasn't how any of it was meant to go, this isn't what I was promised or sucked into, this isn't what season 1's ending promised. This is all wrong, it's all wrong! WHY!?! ;_;

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Shirobako extends to an industry level which is a result of how anime industry operates(freelance contracts, outsourcing etc) where as New Game is at a single company level since it's closer to how game companies typically operate, I don't think that's bad on its part.

This is not the issue. Shirobako still could have worked even if everything was done in-house as a single company. Different divisions/departments/office locations working at different timelines and having to manage different issues could still very easily been depicted in pretty much the exact manner, even without the outsourcing or contracts.

I'm not sure if you've watched the second season yet but that's exactly what's going on (and had been even in season 1 albeit relatively less).

The first couple of S2 eps I have watched haven't impressed me. The approach they've taken is so fundamentally basic and generic it comes off as "babby's first game dev documentary 101." Nothing in the show triggers a reminiscing of moments in my past career in gaming at all, let alone anything in media/software production or project management. Whereas Shirobako managed to do so multiple times, across the different industries I've worked in.

Ascheroth

Re:Creators - 19

Also this wasn't how this show was suppose to go, this wasn't how any of it was meant to go, this isn't what I was promised or sucked into, this isn't what season 1's ending promised. This is all wrong, it's all wrong! WHY!?! ;_;
Thinking about it, this has indeed progressed in a vastly different direction than I speculated in the beginning.
Props for that.

godisntheradio

Neo Member
i watched 3 episodes of nisekoi and natsu no arashi each, while the later is weirder it is also a lot more intriguing. The op gives wrong vibes about its tone, like it's of bad taste, fortunately, that is not the case for now. Nisekoi is just romantic comedy, pretty fun for now.

blurr

This is not the issue. Shirobako still could have worked even if everything was done in-house as a single company. Different divisions/departments/office locations working at different timelines and having to manage different issues could still very easily been depicted in pretty much the exact manner, even without the outsourcing or contracts.

It could have but my point is that Shirobako's industry level outlook at least partly adds to the breadth and depth of its approach.

The first couple of S2 eps I have watched haven't impressed me. The approach they've taken is so fundamentally basic and generic it comes off as "babby's first game dev documentary 101." Nothing in the show triggers a reminiscing of moments in my past career in gaming at all, let alone anything in media/software production or project management. Whereas Shirobako managed to do so multiple times, across the different industries I've worked in.

Shirobako also had much better execution and was better to relate to for industry folks, even if it was light-hearted tamer depictions - many of us still connected to particular situations, personality types, etc to the point where we can think of specific moments in our careers that parallel those in the show.

I'm not talking gamedev trivia/the actual process but I'm talking about this part that you highlight in your previous post about Shirobako which is also resonant in NG's season 2 and I am saying this as someone in working in the games industry as well.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
I'm not talking gamedev trivia/the actual process but I'm talking about this part that you highlight in your previous post about Shirobako which is also resonant in NG's season 2 and I am saying this as someone in working in the games industry as well.

And I'm disagreeing that S2 improves on that. So we're at an impasse.

Yamishibai S5 08

Things I least want to hear when I'm alone -

5. Thumping
4. Breathing
3. Screaming
2. Gasping
1. Scratching

either way episode kinda falls apart unless the realtors, her friends and the cops are all in on it. 20+ people go missing at the same location and nobody raises an eyebrow? Guess you could just say ghosts did it and they are now forgotten

Wow, I hadn't heard of that show before. Sounds interesting. Thank you. :D

There's also 'From the New World' (Shin Sekai Yori). Has some of the best world building and well thought through plot. Can't compare in production values to Dennou Coil but the strong art direction allows it to shine often nevertheless.

It's ED is also widely regarded as one of the best out there.

Cornbread78

I'll let Metroid do the talking here.

Ep.12 of Baka solidifies her Goddess tier status.

Kizu Hana is pretty good, just a step down...

How does it feel to be more wrong than me?

what if all aquors are good

Dia is one thing, but Wooby?

Riko is gud dawg

crab sucks

Senjou is garbage tho.

Short hair Hanekawa ftw.

Cat ears are amazing lol.

Oh boy, feed me more with your guys bad taste

tumblr_nayik3x12g1r4viuugi.gif

so the mecha genre apparently usually looks crappy

Genre is creatively bankrupt. Even the cute girls doing cute things genre has seen more fresh ideas in the past years.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
To be fair, once they hit perfection with Xenoglossia there wasn't really anything the mecha genre could do but just stumble around like a lost sheep.

Not even Inaho from Aldnoah.Zero can find a way out of this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom