• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's also 'From the New World' (Shin Sekai Yori). Has some of the best world building and well thought through plot. Can't compare in production values to Dennou Coil but the strong art direction allows it to shine often nevertheless.

It's ED is also widely regarded as one of the best out there.

Thanks for reminding me of Shin Sekai Yori. Just listening to the OP/ED brings back some good memories. What a good show.

h5uhQKG.gif

JulianImp

Meanwhile, I'm still waiting for more Monogatari nendos to release. I've mostly given up on Kaiki by now, but come on, would it kill them to release at least Ononoki and perhaps Ougi?

I'd also say Tsukihi, but I wouldn't accept it if she didn't come packaged with 3+ hair pieces.

...Anyway, back to the series as a whole, Monogatari's really interesting, but there's a pretty big barrier of entry with all the lewdness it has every now and then (especially during Nise).

Here's a (mostly) spolier-free synopsis of the anime seasons:
  • Bakemonogatari introduces most of the main cast
  • Nise then adds a couple extra characters and lots of fanservice
  • Neko explores Hanekawa some more
  • Second Season is where the series hits it out of the park, IMO, since it already has introduced 99% of the cast so it can move on to developing them and their relationships
  • Hana actually happens after the events of a later season (Owari), and explores Suruga
  • Tsuki is more character development for Koyomi and leads into Owari S1
  • Owari S1 sets things up for the finale
  • Koyomi are a series of shorts that add some flavor, except for a couple episodes that actually lead into Owari S2
  • Owari S2 finally wraps most things up
  • Then there's Kizu, which are prequel movies about how it all began
There're several other light novels that still haven't been adapted into anime form, but you can bet they will be eventually. AFAIK Zoku-Owari, Oroka, Waza and Nade have been released so far.

ibyea

Banned
Saw a Korean film and felt like sharing the experience with someone.

A Taxi Driver
Did they really have to end the movie with a dumb car chase? It was a nicely done car chase, but pretty dumb.

Except for the aforementioned car chase, it was a really good movie on the Gwangju crackdown and uprising in 1980 S. Korea, an event so brutal around a thousand people died and many more were injured. There are a lot of aspects that are dramatized, and the movie takes a lot of creative liberties, but it works in terms of the character arc for the taxi driver. One huge aspect that is changed, for example, is that in the real story Gwangju story, they came back to Gwangju a second time and there is an armed uprising in the second visit, which pitted the citizens with the military in a violent clash, but that is never shown. Basically, people should be careful to not confuse this with actual history, but at the same time know it contains the essence of what happened there and the lessons people should learn from that history (a pretty big duh for historical movies in general).

I also want to mention, this movie is really good at melodrama holy crap. Hollywood movies, animes, heck the Korean soaps should learn from whatever the Korean movies do. It actually made me tear up at the end. I usually scoff at attempts at melodrama, mainly because I find most attempts at melodrama to be funny. But at the end of this movie, the struggles of the taxi driver and the journalist were so well realized that their parting, after which they never see each other again, was an incredibly sad moment.

Stardust Crusaders 39

This show needed to be at least 12 episodes shorter. The way the show stalls for time to make sure it hits its 48 episode count is very ungraceful at times. This episode's "we've arrived at Dio's mansion; time to have a recap/flashback of the whole series up to this point" was particularly egregious.

Cornbread78

Its truly wonderful to be a ass man.

Now I want Prison School S2!

Seven Deadly Sins ep.21-END
Man, what a ride to finish things off for S1. The action scenes were on point, the comedy was pretty good and the story was pretty interesting past its abserdness. Hawk ended up being my favorite character, but since we only got a couple episodes of her appearance, I can't wait to get more Merlin!

When are we officially getting a full S2 of Sins?

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Crab is the best, 2nd is vampire, 3rd is cat

Some little trivia: it seem the author of new game work as modeling artist and character design for tri-ace. He work on star ocean 3 and valkyrie profile 2. That's cool.

DNAbro

Food Wars 10-12

This was a great 3 episode stretch. Tadokoro's development was great and so was the senior chef's backstory. Easily the best few episodes so far.

Kyuur

One Piece Episode of East Blue

Was really good. Some fantastic bits of animations and all the story bits (esp. Fishman Island) hit the mark as well as they did back then.

Made a thread for it here!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I know there are some Canadian anime buyers here... is there any place that sells the Love Live Blurays, or is the only choice to just buy from Rightstuf because NISA or whoever has the license now didn't make any more?

Jarmel

Banned
GBF- GM's Counterattack
This is sorta bad besides the final duel itself. It distills pretty much every complaint I had about the TV series into 30 minutes. The mafia fights themselves were lame as the gimmicks were boring and led to unsatisfactory fights. One is just a zerg rush attack and another has a girl bouncing her tits all over the screen. Then the finally trap is so ridiculously cheap that I couldn't help but roll my eyes. That would be like a guy challenging Usain Bolt to a race but right before the race, breaking Bolt's legs with a baseball bat and claiming he won. There's also little emotional impact due to most of these opponents being no-name scrubs.

Then you have the fight with Sei's stolen machine which actually was interesting as it provided an emotional quandary for Sei that tied into his character development from the TV series. Instead though of having Sei make a tough decision, the OVA completely bypasses it. This reminds me of how the TV show would sometimes swerve out of hard emotional moments and lets off characters with 'Get out of Jail Free' cards. So Sei ends up fighting with the most bland enemy possible as a substitute.

Reiji coming out of nowhere is a little mystifying. I guess he was in the building before the fighting started and the building was in lockdown mode? I'm glad he's in here though. The final duel between Sei and Reiji though was great and what I wanted more of instead of the rest of this nonsense.

ibyea

Banned
Re Creators: 17-19
I am blown away, the elimination chamber festival arc is really, really good. It also works so well in terms of metanarrative and audience interaction with the story.

The spoilers scene is definitely my favorite funny moment of the show.

Narag

Altair: A Record of Battles 3

dang the poor MC stripped of rank and having to start from the ground up. maybe eps won't be so friggn' wonky now as this one kept bouncing around chronologically to ill effect

Clov

I know there are some Canadian anime buyers here... is there any place that sells the Love Live Blurays, or is the only choice to just buy from Rightstuf because NISA or whoever has the license now didn't make any more?

NISA has the license, and that one website I've mentioned in the past, the C&L Club, is the only Canadian retailer I've found that carries NISA products. If you don't want to use them, you'll have to go through RightStuf.

Narag

Started watching anime Death Note, should I watch Netflix live action Death Note?

Once you're done with the anime:
  • Did you really like the anime and think the story was cool? Then no.
  • Thought the anime was kinda dumb but you're cool with dumb shit? Then yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom