• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Some of them have elite levels of plot though.

kFDzWyG.png

Cornbread78

Dragonaut- DROPPED
I can't deal with the jealous best friend who is out for revenge because his man/dragon slave was taken by his bestie and is not his man/dragon slave as he try to get his dragon babe, which killed his family, while and evil 3rd faction tries to create then own man/dragon slaves because they are jealous that they don't have any..... All the while, there is corruption in the space program.... *blurp*

Basilisk ep.1
Random dubbed anime attempt #2.

Holy crap this was bloody and violent, plus forbidden loves with tragedy! Definitely some ninja edgelord $hit, but pretty awesome at the same time! I might be able to get behind this one! Let's hope it stays interesting at least.

heh
hiatus x hiatus is back on hiatus

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...s-with-plans-to-return-by-end-of-year/.120769

so if one time he only expected it to be a 2 week hiatus with a back issue and it turned out to be a two year hiatus... how long will a "I will return by the end of the year" hiatus be :p?

WSJ should just cut him a deal. Bi-weekly chapters or something. HxH always places at #2 below One Piece when its running and they let Oda skip a chapter a month so they should make some concessions for Togashi.

Then again Togashi might be too stubborn or WSJ is too strict. Who knows.

Dragonaut- DROPPED
I can't deal with the jealous best friend who is out for revenge because his man/dragon slave was taken by his bestie and is not his man/dragon slave as he try to get his dragon babe, which killed his family, while and evil 3rd faction tries to create then own man/dragon slaves because they are jealous that they don't have any..... All the while, there is corruption in the space program.... *blurp*

Hahahaha. I'm still surprised I made it through it. Seriously, the subbers at the time that did it fucking hated it.

WSJ should just cut him a deal. Bi-weekly chapters or something. HxH always places at #2 below One Piece when its running and they let Oda skip a chapter a month so they should make some concessions for Togashi.

He should just tell the anime staff the plot and let them finish...

Or just publish in the monthly JUMP SQ.

blurr

New Game S2 08

This feels like a breather episode while they also play around with the new character and try to understand her better. She is indeed a fairly amusing addition and it's always interesting to see how she interacts with different members of the team. The awkward moments with her are unlike Hifumi where she is uncomfortable but Momo just doesn't find the idea of interacting with people interesting while also quite determined to land a good impression. That aspect of her is also quite releatable.

Naru on the other hand offers little in the way of amusement but not that it's bad and keeping that in mind, there's little we see from the programmer's end. Nene and Ahagon make a great pair as usual, Naru from what we know doesn't look like she is going to add much to their dynamic at this point but I'm interested to see their side of the story too.

zulux21

Last I heard it was mostly the first one.
Togashi doesn't like being stuck in a time line. At this point he just wants to work when he wants to work on it.

even bi weekly chapters would cost him some of that freedom that he wants.

really from the sounds of it he is an absolute nightmare to have as an employee for WSJ, but since HxH is still quite popular they put up with it so that they can continue to publish a story that draws in good numbers.

Or just publish in the monthly JUMP SQ.

that could work if he knew the plot, but outside of very broad ideas I doubt he has much of an idea of where his plot is going until he gets there.

that was obvious with the ant arc where he kept doing random pointless crap over and over just drawing out the arc while he tried to figure out how to connect his major points of the arc.

God, never. Id rather have nothing then a continuation not helmed directly by Togashi

Last I heard it was mostly the first one.
Togashi doesn't like being stuck in a time line. At this point he just wants to work when he wants to work on it.

even bi weekly chapters would cost him some of that freedom that he wants.

really from the sounds of it he is an absolute nightmare to have as an employee for WSJ, but since HxH is still quite popular they put up with it so that they can continue to publish a story that draws in good numbers.
from the stories about how hard he was worked during YYH hes earned the right to be shitty and stubborn to WSJ tbh

Does Togashi not have any super close artist friends that could serve as a backup or something?

Surely he must know at the rate he's going with HxH in his current health he's gonna end up not finishing it himself.

I really doubt both he and WSJ would want the manga to remain unfinished.

They really need to cut some kinda deal at some point to sort this whole thing out.

Does Togashi not have any super close friends that could serve as a backup or something?

Surely he must know at the rate he's going with HxH in his current health he's gonna end up not finishing it himself.

I really doubt both he and WSJ would want the manga to remain unfinished.

They really need to cut some kinda deal at some point to sort this whole thing out.

Togashi is married to the mangaka for Sailor Moon, so together with the Sailor Moon/YYH/HxH combo of three very popular series historically, one would assume they don't need to do anything because of the royalties.

But Togashi is Japanese and a mangaka, so he surely has some drive to finish it on his own. I mean you would not decide to become a mangaka if you wanted to half-ass something and are not driven to working yourself to exhaustion.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It would make sense if say.... they were all geniuses who would ace tests in a normal academy but this academy somehow has genius level material on their exams. Like there were "bad" students in Ender's Game despite all the children explicitly being geniuses. Some were just on the lower end scale of genius.

But that hasn't been shown, stated, or even implied thus far. And they fucking had a cheat sheet.
Elite academy doesn't change exam questions year to year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Togashi is married to the mangaka for Sailor Moon, so together with the Sailor Moon/YYH/HxH combo of three very popular series historically, one would assume they don't need to do anything because of the royalties.

But Togashi is Japanese and a mangaka, so he surely has some drive to finish it on his own. I mean you would not decide to become a mangaka if you wanted to half-ass something and are not driven to working yourself to exhaustion.

Plus he already half assed the ending to YYH.

Szadek

Fresh Precure - up top Ep. 25
The mid-season climax was really good and Cure passion is the best character in fresh for sure.
Her transformation sequence is also awesome.
Also, the fight between Eas and Cure Preach gets my vote for the best fight this season.

phaze

Girl with cane the best.

Any statement other than "Kushida a best" has been shown to be fundamentally untrue in ep 2 or 3 already. Please apply yourself.

Elite academy doesn't change exam questions year to year.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
It's a test of whether they're smart enough to cheat duh.

Yea he's about to and stops himself. He then represses the memories, presumably with the aid of the drugs he's taking to repress his emotions. He also apparently subconsciously felt guilty about it enough to the point of blaming Isamu as a way of redirecting his own self hatred.

It's not that convoluted.

I would rather say it's far fetched beyond belief.

Let's face it, the show sucks, but just how low and edgy do you think it can get....

nu-uh.

Dali

Dragonaut- DROPPED

Basilisk ep.1

Random dubbed anime attempt #2.

Holy crap this was bloody and violent, plus forbidden loves with tragedy! Definitely some ninja edgelord $hit, but pretty awesome at the same time! I might be able to get behind this one! Let's hope it stays interesting at least.

Basilisk is pretty good. I think I may have watched the live action movie before the anime and found that enjoyable as well (for a Japanese, effects-driven movie).

Cornbread78

Hahahaha. I'm still surprised I made it through it. Seriously, the subbers at the time that did it fucking hated it.

Yeah, I'm done. I can't do it. The friend character is so bad and his motivations are terrible. Then he said, "What do you know about losing someone" immediately follow a flashback of him trying to console the kid who's family was killed in the first 2 mins of the show... Like GTFO... it was BAAAD!

Basilisk is pretty good. I think I may have watched the live action movie before the anime and found that enjoyable as well (for a Japanese, effects-driven movie).

Good to hear. I can't watch anymore of Dragonaut and I'm probably the most forgiving anime watcher here, lol.

zulux21

man... rewatching yuu yuu hakusho and I am trying to figure out the timing of stuff of who was inspired by who.

the elder tagoro is clearly inspired by parasyte to a degree.

now the question with the younger tagoro....

did dragon ball do the power levels with freeza first, or did they do it with tagoro first?

and then if dragon ball did it first with freeza, did dragon ball do the awaken a hidden power to protect others thing first in the android saga or did yuu yuu with the tagoro fight lol?

though I suppose it's also a dead person inspires the one fighting scene going on as well which was also cell saga vs dark tournament lol.

Yeah, I'm done. I can't do it. The friend character is so bad and his motivations are terrible. Then he said, "What do you know about losing someone" immediately follow a flashback of him trying to console the kid who's family was killed in the first 2 mins of the show... Like GTFO... it was BAAAD!

Good to hear. I can't watch anymore of Dragonaut and I'm probably the most forgiving anime watcher here, lol.

I will say, I am one for liking fan service usually, but the fact they have big boobs flopping fucking everywhere, and never explained or even mentioned about their boob sizes and how they work just irritated the shit out of me. Like, if you have big boobs, at least give us some gawking or something ecchi. They don't even fucking do that. They give you nothing. The show promises nothing, and still gives less than that.

phaze

Youkoso 08

This episode had:

- Secret party wanting 50% out of his school. (Secret experiment lab guys ?)
- His own teacher using that to blackmail him into becoming 100%. As in; giving shit and striving for the top spot in class rivalry.

- Putting Monogatari on a blast.
-----
- Sadly, plain offensive treatment of the only black character in the show.
Glorious genes and fanservice for both sexes.

50% surprising but not hearing Sakura when she practiced her confession and maybe the funniest thing of it all, even the Oniisama/Oreki combo that is 50 %, who pretty much reads and manipulates everyone he meets didn't realize she has a crush on him.

The greatest love story ever told aka the return of crazy Kushida.
on_awa13vsjic.gif
Who I only now realize is sporting a goddamn sharingan of sorts, she literally changes the colour of her eyes when she switches between her "modes".
-----
I was honestly laughing throughout, even it being a set-up ep, it was such a precious combination of so bad, so Onii-sama, so anime, and of some actually interesting insights into the characters (cause yes we found out more about Ayanokouji and Kushida) that I'm not sure if I hate it or I love it. Maybe I love to hate it, I hate to love it.

Edit: Oh I of course forgot about CG chess.

Actually correct chess in my anime. Eat your heart out Geass.

Joe Molotov

Fresh Precure - up top Ep. 25
The mid-season climax was really good and Cure passion is the best character in fresh for sure.
Her transformation sequence is also awesome.
Also, the fight between Eas and Cure Preach gets my vote for the best fight this season.

Fresh was good precure. Eas da best.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The last one was that dude in SAO but he was also pretty big.

zulux21

How often do we see non threatening or offensive black guys in Anime. I usually see a racist caricature in some form, a buff body builder used as the muscle, or both.

I will think about this after work but there are a few shows.

first one I think of is jojo. I mean he is a thief but in the scale of power in that show he is pretty much non threatening :p

Line_HTX

one final yuyu thing before I go to work.

which is better
koto or juri?

Juri is the better in-house mic, of course.

How often do we see non threatening or offensive black guys in Anime. I usually see a racist caricature in some form, a buff body builder used as the muscle, or both.
The last one was that dude in SAO but he was also pretty big.

This guy seriously looks like somebody's full-time bouncer.

Classroom of the Elite aka Edgelord Academy, Episode 8 - So I learned something interesting over on r/anime. Apparently Horikita isn't the "Main Girl." Apparently the secondary lead rotates from arc to arc.

Onto the episode itself. Yeah, this is defintely a light novel adaptation. It shares a lot of the same problems I had with Re;Zero, it introduces plot points or elements only to immediately push them to the background because "We'll leave that for the second season, if we actually get one."

I was gonna say Agil was a legit good dude both in game and in the RL world.

I also dug the SAO Abridged version of him. :p

Gundam 0083 has at least two black characters who I don't think fit the typical depiction in anime. But I struggle to instantly recall much beyond that.

Dali

Gundam 0083 has at least two black characters who I don't think fit the typical depiction in anime. But I struggle to instantly recall much beyond that.
Gundam hot blooded kids had the mechanic guy. I don't know if him getting with the white girl should be considered a stereotype or not though. The one kid's reaction when he found out though was pretty messed up.

Gundam hot blooded kids had the mechanic guy. I don't know if him getting with the white girl should be considered a stereotype or not though. The one kid's reaction when he found out though was pretty messed up.

Oh yeah him. I don't think the reaction had to do with Skin color though. Maybe I'm miss remembering, as the scene didn't leave a strong impression on me, but I thought it more had to do with surprise that they'd even grown close enough to have a relationship. Since we hadn't seen much in the way of hints about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom