• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

Gundam hot blooded kids had the mechanic guy. I don't know if him getting with the white girl should be considered a stereotype or not though. The one kid's reaction when he found out though was pretty messed up.

It's a stereotype for hooking up with her?

:O

Stardust Crusaders 48 END

The ending of the fight with Dio is a bit anticlimactic, conceptually speaking. It basically boils down to
Star Platinum suddenly developing the power to stop time in the middle of the fight and then punching harder than The World
, which is not incredibly satisfying. Despite some really nice colors (that green lipstick on Dio's final form is perfection), the direction here isn't quite stylish enough to make up for the understandably much weaker animation as compared to the beautiful 1990s OVA version of this fight.

Still, as clunky and inconsistent as the show could be, I would call it a success overall. There's enough strong moments throughout to justify it, especially with some of the quirkier encounters and episodes with more eccentric direction choices. The sluggish pacing is the main thing that hurts it in comparison to the other Jojo TV seasons. At any rate, now that I've gotten through this I can proceed on to watching the entirety of Diamond is Unbreakable, now that the BD corrections for that are fully out. I know the rushed animation during the middle of that series' broadcast was a disappointment for most people watching it, but taken as a whole I think that adaptation has a stronger conception and delivery than Stardust Crusaders, in addition to working from a higher level of source material, now that Araki is fully exploring the creative possibilities inherent within Stands.

TrueBlue

So from what I gather, Made in Abyss and Princess Principal are the season standouts so far, right?

Anything else? Kakegurui looks insane, but that ain't coming to Netflix for a while.

Seto no Hanayome

43339.jpg

he was best girl's brother though, which means he's just a dark skinned japanese guy

ibyea

Banned
Stardust Crusaders 48 END

The ending of the fight with Dio is a bit anticlimactic, conceptually speaking. It basically boils down to
Star Platinum suddenly developing the power to stop time in the middle of the fight and then punching harder than The World
, which is not incredibly satisfying. Despite some really nice colors (that green lipstick on Dio's final form is perfection), the direction here isn't quite stylish enough to make up for the understandably much weaker animation as compared to the beautiful 1990s OVA version of this fight.

Still, as clunky and inconsistent as the show could be, I would call it a success overall. There's enough strong moments throughout to justify it, especially with some of the quirkier encounters and episodes with more eccentric direction choices. The sluggish pacing is the main thing that hurts it in comparison to the other Jojo TV seasons. At any rate, now that I've gotten through this I can proceed on to watching the entirety of Diamond is Unbreakable, now that the BD corrections for that are fully out. I know the rushed animation during the middle of that series' broadcast was a disappointment for most people watching it, but taken as a whole I think that adaptation has a stronger conception and delivery than Stardust Crusaders, in addition to working from a higher level of source material, now that Araki is fully exploring the creative possibilities inherent within Stands.

Does the OVA cover the whole Stardust Crusader or is it just the final fight? Just curious, in case I want to get into Jojo.

Does the OVA cover the whole Stardust Crusader or is it just the final fight? Just curious, in case I want to get into Jojo.

The OVA's are weird since the original 6 episodes loosely adapted their travels through the desert and the final battle. And then like 7 or 8 years later they made an additional 7 episodes adapting the beginning of the story.

Szadek

So from what I gather, Made in Abyss and Princess Principal are the season standouts so far, right?

Anything else? Kakegurui looks insane, but that ain't coming to Netflix for a while.
Pretty much.
Kakegurui is good fun, even if the actual gambling part is pretty bad.

Tonton

I'd add Magical Circle Guru Guru and Tsuredure(I'm not sure if this name is right)

phaze

Mahoujin Guru Guru has garnered very positive reception from what I've seen.

Tsurezure children and aho girl are decent to good comedies though your mileage may vary.

The OVA are an odd mish-mash. Undeniably good direction and animation with some amazing fights but its severely lacking in the color, character design and voice acting imo. Still theres undeniably awesome moments, mostly stemming with the DIO finale like the senator trying to jump out of the car and running back in and DIO slowly walking towards Jotaro using The World to smash everything up as he walks to make it look like the world is literally quaking as he moves.

Note I am referring to the first set of OVA which cover D'arby, Vanilla Ice and DIO. The second set which is actually before the first is passable.

The 1993 OVAs cover highlights from the Egypt portion of Stardust Crusaders, and then the 2000 OVAs cover highlights from the first portion. The 1993 OVAs are much better than the later ones though. Even put together it's not a complete adaptation of the manga the way the TV series is.

Everyone should watch the 1993 OVAs to see the work of luminaries such as Satoshi Kon and Mitsuo Iso.

Youkoso Japari Ballroom 07-08

Eh. I cant muster any enthusiasm or displeasure for this, beyond the constant lol-boob jokes. I dont mind the giraffe necks because they can at least be useful for the dancing but the dancing isnt particularly interesting either. I also really hate the coach guy, he's an awful person. Abusive and a sexual harasser but its mostly player for laughs...
Dropped.

ibyea

Banned
The OVA's are weird since the original 6 episodes loosely adapted their travels through the desert and the final battle. And then like 7 or 8 years later they made an additional 7 episodes adapting the beginning of the story.

The OVA are an odd mish-mash. Undeniably good direction and animation with some amazing fights but its severely lacking in the color, character design and voice acting imo. Still theres undeniably awesome moments, mostly stemming with the DIO finale like the senator trying to jump out of the car and running back in and DIO slowly walking towards Jotaro using The World to smash everything up as he walks to make it look like the world is literally quaking as he moves.

Note I am referring to the first set of OVA which cover D'arby, Vanilla Ice and DIO. The second set which is actually before the first is passable.

The 1993 OVAs cover highlights from the Egypt portion of Stardust Crusaders, and then the 2000 OVAs cover highlights from the first portion. The 1993 OVAs are much better than the later ones though. Even put together it's not a complete adaptation of the manga the way the TV series is.

Everyone should watch the 1993 OVAs to see the work of luminaries such as Satoshi Kon and Mitsuo Iso.

All right, thanks!

Izayoi

Banned
Wow, there actually are some interesting looking shows buried in all of the trash this season.

Please tell me if I'm making a mistake by watching the following:

18if
Hell Girl (the new one)
Katsugeki
The Reflection
Knights & Magic (looks kind of trashy but I can dig it)
The NTR one

Any gems (lol) I'm missing?

Anything good on Amazon other than Made in Abyss? I'm super hesitant to subscribe to yet another fucking streaming service.

Wow, there actually are some interesting looking shows buried in all of the trash this season.

18if
Hell Girl (the new one)
Katsugeki
The Reflection
The NTR one

Anything good on Amazon other than the cutesy looking one? I'm super hesitant to subscribe to yet another fucking streaming service.

Personally I'd say all these are mistakes (what I bolded), but I dunno your preferences.

On Amazon there's Made in Abyss (I assume this is the cute on you refer to) Welcome to the Ball Room is good, not great imo, but good. Princess Principal is also generally pretty good.

18if
Hell Girl (the new one)
Katsugeki
The Reflection
The NTR one

Anything gems (lol) I'm missing?

Anything good on Amazon other than Made in Abyss? I'm super hesitant to subscribe to yet another ****ing streaming service.

18if is great, though each episode is loosely connected and some offer different animation styles and such, so certain episodes could more or less be more interesting. I like the concept of the anime and the lead is great.

Knights & Magic is awesome LN of the season.

AMZN is great for Dive!! and Sagrada Reset and Hitorijime My Hero.

Izayoi

Banned
Personally I'd say all these are mistakes (what I bolded), but I dunno your preferences.

On Amazon there's Made in Abyss (I assume this is the cute on you refer to) Welcome to the Ball Room is good, not great imo, but good. Princess Principal is also generally pretty good.
Thank you! My preferences are... complicated. Sometimes I watch trash and I really like it because I'm a shameless whore (Magic Bastard, GATE) but sometimes I like stuff that actually good (there hasn't been much recently, but I adored Little Witch and Castlevania).

The Netflix ones looked interesting as well, the one about the gambling school I think? I might check that one out.

Can I ask if you're watching for the yuri, the ecchi, or the netorare? Because it under-delivers on all three.
That's a shame, I was mostly interested in the NTR, don't really care much about the others (yuri is always great, but ecchi is boring).

18if is great, though each episode is loosely connected and some offer different animation styles and such, so certain episodes could more or less be more interesting. I like the concept of the anime and the lead is great.

Knights & Magic is awesome LN of the season.

AMZN is great for Dive!! and Sagrada Reset and Hitorijime My Hero.
Dive!! is Free S2, right?

DNAbro

Thank you! My preferences are... complicated. Sometimes I watch trash and I really like it because I'm a shameless whore (Magic Bastard, GATE) but sometimes I like stuff that actually good (there hasn't been much recently, but I adored Little Witch and Castlevania).

The Netflix ones looked interesting as well, the one about the gambling school I think? I might check that one out.

That's a shame, I was mostly interested in the NTR, don't really care much about the others (yuri is always great, but ecchi is boring).

Dive!! is Free S2, right?

Dive is like anti-Free. Imagine all the fun and good animation of Free and remove it and you got Dive. There is something there but it's not fun.

also 18if is horrible.

Yakuza Kiwami Chapter 1

So I guess that's why Nishiki became a punk ass bitch.... No girl, everyone thinks you're useless. You slapped a woman. Everyone likes Kiryu more than you. Even when he's socially awkward about giving gifts to girls

Yakuza Kiwami Chapter 1

So I guess that's why Nishiki became a punk ass bitch.... No girl, everyone thinks you're useless. You slapped a woman. Everyone likes Kiryu more than you. Even when he's socially awkward about giving gifts to girls
At the very least having played yakuza zero I had more of a background on their relationship and everything they've gone through and it's not just entirely jealousy.

DNAbro

Wait, so what's left in Dive? Just half naked boys? lol

I wrote something earlier where I described it as a shitty Ping Pong the Animation. With half naked boys. It's weird and even after a bunch of episodes I can't really tell what it's trying to do.

edit: here it is, it was review of the 6th episode

So got my answer to what I was wondering last week. Dive!! says in order to become the best you have to give up everything that might get in the way, such as friends, hobbies, and relationships and those few shots at glory are apparently worth it. Not sure if I agree with it at all because at the moment it just all seems so sad and shallow.

When I first started watching it I was thinking that this would be just a Free! ripoff. It is definitely not in tone or characterization or fun. This isn't a fun show at all except for like one episode. As episodes so far have progressed I was starting to think it felt more like a much worse Ping Pong the Animation. But after this episode it feels almost like the Anti-Ping Pong. Where in Ping Pong it felt like all the characters were growing as human beings and retained their love and drive for the sport, Dive!! feels like the opposite where so many characters seem willing to sacrifice themselves in order to gain accomplishments or are continuing on the same trajectory they have been since the show started. Only character that seems to have actual positive growth is Okitsu and it only finally showed in this episode. The Coach may be the worst because she seems like such a negative influence when it comes to anything not related to diving. I'm going to continue watching Dive!! but so far I'm really disappointed because it seems to present such a dreary worldview. It might be more "real" to say in order to become the best throw your life away but I'm not sure if this is how you should present it,

and as a note, I say that the worldview isn't the problem; it's the positive light that they give to it without seemingly mentioning any of the repercussions of it. Also I felt like I misrepresented ping pong a bit.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wrote something earlier where I described it as a shitty Ping Pong the Animation. With half naked boys. It's weird and even after a bunch of episodes I can't really tell what it's trying to do.

here it is, it was review of the 6th episode

and as a note, I say that the worldview isn't the problem; it's the positive light that they give to it without seemingly mentioning any of the repercussions of it. Also I felt like I misrepresented ping pong a bit.

To be fair, isn't that like 99% of all sports shounen? Most of them are just sports sports sports all the time.

It's why I like Free despite it's flaws. It's the least sportsy sports show in the genre.

DNAbro

To be fair, isn't that like 99% of all sports shounen? Most of them are just sports sports sports all the time.

It's why I like Free despite it's flaws. It's the least sportsy sports show in the genre.

Ehh I feel like most sports shows are often a lot of about camaraderie among teams and "do your best!" by working your ass off. Plus lots of explanations about the sport itself. Or "wow look at this awesome play" Like Haikyuu doesn't go into long winded parts of losing your girlfriend because you became obsessed with your sport then saying you should just throw away everyone and everything not related to it and then somehow put that in a positive light. Dive feels like it tries to do more but completely fails at it. Diving in itself is not that interesting of a sport (at least how it is presented) and it seems to try and make up for it but can't do it well. There has been one actual dive meet and it was the opposite of exciting. (unless there was another one this last episode, haven't seen it yet)

I would also say Free is a slice of life/sports show hybrid.

Also I've written too much about Dive. Point is it's not really worth watching. Go watch Free again. Or Ping Pong.

Or Gamers!. Go watch Gamers! It's the best show this season with a "!" at the end.

Jarmel

Banned
My computer crashed and I ended up losing a Macross Plus post I spent three hours on. I'm almost done retyping it, ugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom