• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Made in Abyss Episode 9:

Right, I am convinced that the only reason these two idiots are still alive is protagonist power.

Eureka Seven TV
DIpuhnk_XYAAx9f_E.jpg

Eureka Seven Rebuild
DIpuix_QW0_AAYf_Kj.jpg

Why...why remove old man Thurston?

He was dope...

Line_HTX

Re:Creators 11-15

This is like shirobako but bad, they even have donuts.

The power of retweets though. I'm surprised we haven't seen a fantasy battle work with power levels based on follower count, social media and shit. That could be fun.

Retweeting is like the best wildfire or some shit, haha

18if Episode 8 (engdub)
DIp6XDYUQAAFJvo.jpg:small

Shower scene Haruto, nice.

Good insight into the mind of Haruto, perhaps he is the one who needs saving the most, also his past and real world of being unwanted and disliked? So strange compared to how he is in the dream world. i hope we get more on him.

The song at the concert for the hearing impaired was good.

Made in Abyss - 08

Yeh, that episode feels really dumb when our protagonist just finished their damned 'training' and got further advice—shown in a needlessly long flashback—that got promptly ignored. Riko is so ridiculously careless this episode that I won't excuse any of it, even with her young age. The bare minimum should be not rushing into a dark place on her own, right?

To add some nitpicking, I didn't like how those overgrown hamsters didn't actually chase her, even though the show tells us they do. Like, those things would be much more mobile and quicker, especially when Riko was carrying the likely significantly heavier Reg and already exhausted. Yet, after dropping down the hole we're made to believe she's still getting chased despite those things never catching up somehow. We only get to hear distant noises... Of course, they needed urgency for Riko to walk up that slope but for that end, they betrayed the properties of the hamster monsters previously established.

Again, nitpicking, but it's not surprising to read that this was essentially anime-original filler when the episode appears to be rather inconsistent. I've also become more sensitive to out of whack timing and spacing, so when 'chase' sequences like that don't add up I notice it more easily.

edit:
Oh and another inconsistency that propped up because they needed Riko to fuck up: they already had no more food supplies? It hasn't been that long since they said their goodbyes to Ozen and co. and they surely got plenty of food from them?

New Ancient Magus Bride Visual

New PV trailer

Yo I am really hyped to see this. One of my favorite Manga series so I hope it gets a fantastic adaptation. Never thought it would get a anime TV series when I first read it a while back. Wit really have a lot on their shoulders lol.

Still I am quite surprised they showed some action in it. Although the series does get intense and dark at times, but at heart it's slow paced.

Fall is gonna be great for me.

CHRONOS RULER Episode 9

Shota Vikto trying to avoid showing heartfelt emotions of love was cute, but then his words afterwards, awful, though he didnt deserve a slap or punch.

Guess its time to end this arc.

Ascheroth

Made in Abyss 09

Yo, this was great. This world is so fascinating. I love the environment, creatures and the entire atmosphere. Could just soak in it the entire day.

In other words:

Roll for survival:
Riko rolls 1

zulux21

It's time.

DInz_BAv_Vw_AAFf_UR.jpg

The long awaited Mineta arc begins.

:/

does he die in the end, as that is the only decent use for his character.
kill him off never to return.

still don't understand how he got into the school. his powers and personality are so useless he should have never been able to get in.

DNAbro

still don't understand how he got into the school. his powers and personality are so useless he should have never been able to get in.

all he had to do was throw his balls at robots and then they got "disabled" cause they couldn't move. Mineta sucks and I hope someone like Shinsou replaces him in the future.

Sterok

Made in Abyss 9

Riko should be really dead right about now. Kind of makes me wish we were following a more seasoned group of adventurers. The Abyss itself is still really cool though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Made in Abyss 9

I want to barbecue one of those mofu things...

Shard

XBLAnnoyance

He is the butt monkey comic relief which I think by law they need at least one of.

zulux21

Chihayafuru (Dub)

so I think the voice work is fine for when they are kids, but chihaya is a little to childish sounding when she is older. It's not bad, especially since I figure this wasn't a high priority dub for them, but not great either.

He is the butt monkey comic relief which I think by law they need at least one of.

you could at least give him some cool moments like sanji from one piece :/
I don't think there has been a single scene in the animated version of MHA that Mineta has improved that he has ever been in.

Made in Abyss 09

*Pointless flashback to Ozen telling Reg to only use the incinerator when there is no other option, he used it anyway

*After waking up uses the weapon Riko has to fight the monster

dude why didnt you just use that weapon first???

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Chihayafuru (Dub)

so I think the voice work is fine for when they are kids, but chihaya is a little to childish sounding when she is older. It's not bad, especially since I figure this wasn't a high priority dub for them, but not great either.

I don't think there has been a single scene in the animated version of MHA that Mineta has improved that he has ever been in.

Yes these characters tend to suck.

Haly

Made in Abyss 09

*Pointless flashback to Ozen telling Reg to only use the incinerator when there is no other option, he used it anyway

*After waking up uses the weapon Riko has to fight the monster

dude why didnt you just use that weapon first???
It was packed away, I guess? Also it's a consumable. Everyone knows you save your consumables for when you really need them.

One weakness of the story is that it doesn't explain why Riko cares so much. about Reg. He's just a robot she found one day and then took care for maybe a few months. It feels like she cares about him more than her childhood friends. I hope this is actually a plot point and not just weak characterization.

It was packed away, I guess? Also it's a consumable. Everyone knows you save your consumables for when you really need them.

One weakness of the story is how much Riko cares about Reg but he's just a robot she found one day. It feels like she cares about him more than her childhood friends.

the incinerator is like the ultimate consumable though.

lets look at pokemon. your pokemon knows

1. hyper beam with 1 use. note you have to recharge after this
2. strength with 15 uses

why the fuck would you use hyper beam

and yes riko and reg seem to care for eachother like brother and sister but theyve known each other for like a month? maybe it can be explained away with them being born from the abyss and natural allies or some shit

Haly

Strength with 5 uses for the entire game. It's like a Fire Emblem weapon. Are you going to use Mani Katti on a midboss?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Chihayafuru (Dub)

Is the actual game play still in Japanese? If so, are the dub actors trying to read Japanese poems?

Yeah, when I watched the movie, I was thinking this wouldn't have had nearly the same effect on me without animation.
Particularly because it's a mediated experience further mediated by a mediated form of art. You're literally watching someone draw someone else drawing.

Maybe you could do the same with filters or with colors in live action, but it wouldn't quite be the same.

zulux21

Is the actual game play still in Japanese? If so, are the dub actors trying to read Japanese poems?

it seems like they left the poems when being read in Japanese, but when characters read certain cards or think about cards they think usually talk about their english meaning, but strategy is still about Japanese syllables.

aka it's done much like how you would expect a bunch of english players of a japanese card game to think and do :p

One weakness of the story is that it doesn't explain why Riko cares so much. about Reg. He's just a robot she found one day and then took care for maybe a few months. It feels like she cares about him more than her childhood friends. I hope this is actually a plot point and not just weak characterization.

He's a relic of the Abyss; I think that's enough to explain why Riko cares about Reg so much, given her obsession with the Abyss.

Haly

Yeah but Reg cares about Riko just as much. They have this really deep relationship that's never justified or explored.

I hope it's something super dumb like Reg carries the soul of Lyza inside his hat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
it seems like they left the poems when being read in Japanese, but when characters read certain cards or think about cards they think usually talk about their english meaning, but strategy is still about Japanese syllables.

aka it's done much like how you would expect a bunch of english players of a japanese card game to think and do :p
I kind of want to check it out to see what they did. But there's a tiny part of me that feels heartbroken by the show, even now. lol
(I still love the OST though)

Ehh I feel like most sports shows are often a lot of about camaraderie among teams and "do your best!" by working your ass off. Plus lots of explanations about the sport itself. Or "wow look at this awesome play" Like Haikyuu doesn't go into long winded parts of losing your girlfriend because you became obsessed with your sport then saying you should just throw away everyone and everything not related to it and then somehow put that in a positive light. Dive feels like it tries to do more but completely fails at it. Diving in itself is not that interesting of a sport (at least how it is presented) and it seems to try and make up for it but can't do it well. There has been one actual dive meet and it was the opposite of exciting. (unless there was another one this last episode, haven't seen it yet)
I almost feel like that makes it a little more interesting than other sports shows because it acknowledges the presumed sacrifices the characters have to make. But then again I haven't actually seen the show so, yeah. lol

isn't he one of the author's favorite characters? i think it was mentioned in one of the extra things, like a profile or something. i think he even said his editor didn't really like him, but he wanted to keep him anyway or something

yea, mineta is trash that belongs in the incinerator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom