• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taruranto

Apo 7
ynwoWQs.jpg

UHgMKFh.jpg

60cd8Js.jpg
Are you shitting me. Nice "assassin" skills you have there, miss.

Jeanne better reclass her next episode.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Servants not doing the thing their class would imply they do is just classic Fate/shit.

Cornbread78

Basilisk ep.2
Damn, that fight scene was waay over tge top, but it was still pretty damn good. Shit is about to get real for sure with the clan wars starting.. How dare they destroy yet another beautiful love affair between two leaders..

What's most impressive about this show is it's VA cast, which includes Troy Baker..

FutureCard Buddyfight X [Batzz] Episode 21 EngDub

Chibi Panda sword...what?

Also Chibi Panda getting Anthura and Batzz to work together was so good, his best moment thus far.

I loved Big Z and TetsuYO coming back.

Laiza

Made in Abyss - 09

Some really intense spelunking going on here! I actually cringed with worry when
Rika fell into the trap creature's stomach acids. Surprised she didn't start burning from the acids, but I guess they're slow-acting.
Really enjoying the variety of creature designs in this series.

Shingeki no Bahamut: Virgin Soul - 20

HOLY FUCK DRAGON VS
DRAGON
FIGHT OMG AHHHHHHHHH

Hamst3r

Gatchaman | Gatchaman Movie | Gatchaman OVA -

Gatchaman, the 1972 show was fun for about 30 episodes...out of 105. It's just too repetitive to be truly enjoyable, so it quickly became a background show, as actually watching Gatchaman was quite wearying.

The movie pretty much just rushes through episodes of the old series without any semblance of flow. It's boring.

The 1994 OVA though, this I'm into, with the exception of the music and some of the new character designs. I think Dr.Nambu and Berg Katse got it the worst. All of the best music cues in this version are old ones. I do like the bits and pieces they plucked from the original series though, but it's unfortunate that they didn't include the evil fashion show, or the giant mummy, or lava Jesus, or the Condor Special. It's ultimately less campy fun, even though I like it more overall.

Oh, and I was kinda bummed that they hadn't shown X all the way up until they showed X, at which point I wished they hadn't.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Decided to watch this Gamers anime, and its a lot better than I was expecting. Only watched upto the second episode so far, but I'll likely marathon the aired episodes tonight.

Pooya

I caught up with Re:Creators. Good thing I waited until now, pacing in this is trash, watching it weekly must be awful.

It's decent, I think it's well produced, better than Aldnoah.Zero overall but by not much. It's ok. Mecha battles in this are better.

Tuck

Tsuritama - 7
Hmm, this episode didn't quite work for me, and its almost entirely the animations fault. We have several emotional interactions in this episode, but the animations are very stiff and not very expressive. You have characters yelling at eachother, but standing almost perfectly still with flat faces. It just doesn't work.

A shame because this appears to be an important moment in the show.

Also, the slap was a bit too far and has kind of ruined Natsuki's character.

Still pretty good show tho

Taruranto

Amazon's Vatican Miracle Examiner

1-4 so far. This
Hitler/Nazi
stuff is crazy. Wow.

I hope the last arc will top that, but I don't have much hope at this point. The anime blew its
load
too early with the
Hitler's sperm
line.

moogs

Neo Member
You've reached some of my favorite parts of the show.

I cannot put in words how much I adore that scene with Karen, Nao and Rin. I loved Karen's audacity to make it harder for Rin to make a choice between them and her original group while I also understand and appreciate how empathetic Nao is in that scene. They're such a good pair. Karen tells what she feels despite knowing how hard it is for Rin - I cannot hate her for that, in fact it's the opposite feeling because it's a fantastic instance of how you should consider what you want just as much as others and weigh in than playing coy. That endearing aspect of her is pretty much why I love them the most in the show.

Karen's assertiveness surprised me. I appreciated how well she handled the situation from her end. As for Nao, who seemed slightly preoccupied with her Happy Meal®, her input laid bare Rin's guilt and partially absorbed it.

Rina's Rock story is from an older episode but I just want to point out how much they've improved as a pair and as characters - it's nice that they tackled her supposedly hilarious "rock" obsession and give it a surprising resolution. It's funny how she's happy with her faux rock group vs her mentor/senior (whose name eludes me) was not with her actual rock group. It all came down to what they thought of it. Miku's concern for her is another endearing aspect of the show I've adored.

* (Asterisk) was my favorite unit. Miku and Riina had good chemistry and were genuinely invested in their partnership.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
My Hero Academia Season 2, Episode 21:

Oh good, the horrible part was just the intro sequence, though I do question why that was a thing at all as it seemed pretty pointless. At any rate we are ending the season with another battle series thing for a final exam.

My Hero Academia Season 2, Episode 21:

Oh good, the horrible part was just the intro sequence, though I do question why that was a thing at all as it seemed pretty pointless. At any rate we are ending the season with another battle series thing for a final exam.

considering they're having the kids take the exams in one at a time instead of all at once like in the manga, it's likely just another way to stretch out time

DNAbro

My Hero Academia S2 Episode 21

I like that changed how the exams work to save the best part for last. Kind of a smart switch. Excited to see these exams get expanded a bit from the manga. Also Momo was adorable this episode.

Gamers Episode 8

I was legit worried this love pentagon was about to turn into a love hexagon.

100% Teacher Pascal Episode 21

Pascalinguish with DiCaprio is always funnny because of how they change the pronunciation to make the phrases sound the same, What Time Is It Now = Ya done messed with the potatoes I dug, lol.Poor DiCaprio

Kanemori Steeve kun not helping the guy to the nurse, aw I love the rules Pascal teaches them.

Monster Strike 2nd Season Episode 23

Oh noes, Mana.

But also that apocolyptic cliffhanger tease, why do we need a one month break when it gets so epic, especially since Taiyo and Haruma came back.

Hitorijime my Hero Episode 9

How come all the other ships with Setagawa are much better than the canon one, Fukushige x Setagawa would have been amazing, though I want to see his friends get with people too. Fukushige even looked uncomfortable in the discussion about girls etc.

Great episode.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Decided to watch this Gamers anime, and its a lot better than I was expecting. Only watched upto the second episode so far, but I'll likely marathon the aired episodes tonight.
I actually did the same and made it through episode six, which is as far as the dub is. It reminds me of a B/B- version of School Rumble which is something I never knew I wanted.

duckroll

Re:Creators - Episode 20

It's pretty impressive how this went from a kinda bad show with some good episodes, to a pretty good show which is exactly what anyone would have wanted out of it in the first place. There's a pretty good understanding of audience expectations and why people consume trashy anime/manga/light novels/games/whatever. Unfortunately for the producers behind this show though, I think in reality, getting audience acceptance and creating something that can be popular and well liked from a formula just isn't very easy. I wonder how the show will end now though. Maybe they rewrote the ending after the show started bombing and there'll be a super bad ending waiting for us all to prove that you can't manufacture success and "win" by pulling shit out of your ass. :)

Sciel

Fate/Apocrypha 10

I will spoiler tag this since the sub isn't out yet.

This was a pretty good episode although i felt they botched the fight between "Siegfried" and Mordred. You have a few seconds of sword clashing before they just unleash their Noble Phantasms at each other. Also disappointing that they don't shout out their NP names (they do in the scene in episode 1). '

Jeanne continues to do Jeanne things this episode (i.e: fuck all). Her usage in this series has honestly been rather disappointing, I guess having her going against any servant in a straight 1v1 would be just too unrealistic since the ruler class is pretty much broken. That said, I assume we'll see her facing off against mutated Spartacus in the next episode.

ps: that Astolfo blush...

HeroAca 34

ITOVgR3.jpg
lT8rJvf.jpg
VIhyVXL.jpg

she da bess

Good looking episode.

I think the midterm placements say a lot about how this cast works. Youd naturally expect Iida and Yayozura to be at the top but you also have Bakugo up there which is a bit of a surprise. Midoriya and Tadokori are also pretty high up but like 5 or 6 instead of the absolute best.

Andrew J.

HeroAca 34

I think the midterm placements say a lot about how this cast works. Youd naturally expect Iida and Yayozura to be at the top but you also have Bakugo up there which is a bit of a surprise. Midoriya and Tadokori are also pretty high up but like 5 or 6 instead of the absolute best.

Tokoyami and Uraraka were lower than I expected, Tsuyu a bit higher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom