• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuck

The Voltron reboot suffers from the same type of humor Korra suffered from.

As in, unfunny humor.
Eh, the humor is fine. It does however suffer from the same kind of clunky dialogue and the level of cheesiness is significant.

Still an alright show though.

Narag

Altair: A Record of Battles 6
yvdVohNl.png

holy shit who knew a harbor assault could be so exciting?? Nothing ever goes right for poor mahmut

Narag

so how is this show? It looked like a throwaway show that would attempt to be deep but ultimately be about the pretty boys.

it's decent enough. quality is all of the place visually but the storyline is pretty cool so far. figure it'd appeal to people who liked shows like the recent Arslan

Narag

Re:Creators 20

Figured they'd do exactly that after the Sota/Magane conversation. Just needs the acceptance of Altair for the audience to accept it too then it becomes reality once again.

Dragon Ball Super Episode 106
01_V7_ZFj.png
h_Wk_SGCA.png
JDBDAYY.png

I can't get over how great Piccolo's hands look in this episode. How are these hand drawings so next level?

One day Gohan will learn how to dodge.

Rip Tien. You lived a hard life.

blurr

Altair: A Record of Battles 7

A fitting end to the siege and another hard lesson for Mahmut. Looks like he's about to start another fire with how he talked to Doge Lucio though.

there's seven episodes? I'm not sure how I missed this show, suddenly started hearing about Altair - thought it was some character in ReCreators.

Sölf

How is Altair nowadays? I only saw the first episode and that felt like a bad version of Arslan. The first episode wasn't exactly good.

Narag

Sölf;247765979 said:
How is Altair nowadays? I only saw the first episode and that felt like a bad version of Arslan. The first episode wasn't exactly good.

1-3 felt like compressed story arcs with some bizarre achronological storytelling in a failed attempt at dramatic effect.

4-7 have been solid as Mahmut's character is finally experiencing some growth. It's like the first three episode were an extended prologue and the real story didn't begin until he was knocked from his perch of rank and forced to learn to fly again from episode 4 on. [insert eagle metaphors here]

Looking forward to 8.

blurr

Re:Creators 06

Having a plain and uninteresting protagonist is one thing but having him shy away when so many things are at stake is taking it too far. I hope at the very least he has a very good reason or I will remain very annoyed.

Kirameki girl's interference was a welcome surprise.

MartyStu

Tasuku Uehara from Gamers is quite possibly the best anime bro I have seen in years.

The only one better is perhaps 'Tomoda' from Nozaki-Kun.

moogs

Neo Member
THE iDOLM@STER: Cinderella Girls 23–25 [END]

Winter sets in and so does fear for a distressed Uzuki. She'd become withdrawn and reclusive. Her problem was more primal and less accidental than I'd originally thought, though. Tackling a lack of covert self-esteem was a pleasant surprise, but it was simply too isolated, which left the emotional climax feeling unearned. Neglecting Uzuki was instrumental to the design of her story, but it was too convenient of an excuse to set her aside for the majority of the series. Rin confronting Uzuki with Mio's support was important, but was eclipsed by the producer's own efforts in the end. He was the one to appraise her and offer a choice, relieving her of some responsibility while Rin and Mio unearthed her honest feelings. In a respectful, thoughtful manner, he gave her purpose again. Uzuki's empty star (wish charm) symbolized that all that she wanted was its radiance, which she had all along.

The collection of final regards from the Cinderella Project in episode 24 helped alleviate Uzuki's anxiety and doubled as a decent summary of the ground covered by the characters throughout the series. New Generations' stage entrance was a good reference to their starting point and resolution to their wavering unity. One large disappointment with the show would be Mishiro's role, as the idols felt detached from their plight to thwart her design for 346 Production. Ultimately, it was more of the producer's battle than the idols'. His penlight was symbolic of the torch he carried for them—both figuratively and literally. Remaining steadfast to her own methods, she never submitted. But with the goal only being to have her accept alternatives, she was more of an obstruction than a villain. Unfortunately, there was much left unsaid about her.

While not wholly dissatisfying, the overarching narrative could have benefited from more planning. It wasn't so a much a Cinderella story as just a story with Cinderella elements. No extravagant, in-universe movie trailers or all-inclusive variety programs is a step down from its predecessor. Additionally, the songs were forgettable except for the opening theme music, along with "TOKIMEKI Escalate" and "Onegai! Cinderella." Although minor, the characters had a slightly distracting pink tinge to the whites of their eyes. There could have been something more outstanding here, but it's overcrowded with lesser characters and their inadequate content. As it stands, the series is like a twenty-five-page restaurant menu with multiple pages dedicated to what's essentially the same dish; unique enough only to warrant their own entries but for the sake of meeting a quota.

The show featured excellent sound design and consistent character art throughout its course. It's easy to appreciate the professionalism of the framing, which was virtually free from unscrupulous shots of the characters (curse you, Rika). While modest, the animation poured into key moments was exceptional. Some devices were relied too heavily on, such as clocks, stairs, and flowers. Rain was well-utilized, though. As I'm not privy to the language of flowers, its meanings were lost on me; however, their aesthetic was at least pleasing. How they were presented was my only means of deriving meaning from them. Clocks were mainly used as visual/auditory ques. Sometimes they were just terminal points, other times they simply drew attention to a particular detail or signified a significant beat. The technical attention to decor was impressive, and successfully enlivened the setting. All in all, it was a a decent show with good art design (characters/layouts) and sound design (score). Yet it was still largely a checklist exhibition that I don't intend to revisit.

Final (top) rankings: 0. The producer, 1. Mio, 2. Mika, 3. Ranko*, 4. Miku, 5. Natsuki
––––––––––
* Insert Maaya Uchida noises.

Narag

Altair: A Record of Battles 8
Episode started as a harsh lesson in realpolitik only to turn into layer upon layer of machination in order to transform Mahmut's inexperience into an asset rather than a liability. Guess these are core characters finally together since he's going back home to Torqye.

edit: looking at the OP confirms this and wow it's like a highlight reel of all the important events in the show so far lol

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Uzuki finally falls from the ranks, but only for Mio to gain the number one spot.

I don't know how to feel about this.

blurr

Re:Creators 07-08

Re:Creators is weakest with its premise and world which is what the first few epsiodes focus on but strongest during its character stories(when it does get to them), I particularly like what they're doing with the fake Saber and fake Madoka - one from a world of despair and the other from a world of hope, it's surprisingly interesting to see them exchange their views and come to an understanding. Still, that's just one set of characters, there's more they need to explore - on the other hand, Meteora and Selesia's story don't resonate as much while alright.

Final (top) rankings: 0. The producer, 1. Mio, 2. Mika, 3. Ranko*, 4. Miku, 5. Natsuki
––––––––––

Ohh I'd like to hear your thoughts on Mio's story.

ibyea

Banned
Stein's Gate: Chapter 6-8
For a while there, I felt like I didn't miss out on anything from reading this after I watched the anime. But then I got to the alternate endings, and revisiting the story by reading the visual novel was really worth it. At least from my experience, I don't think I have seen games or visual novels do alternate ends better than this. Usually they are part of a binary good or bad ending concept, some death/lose condition, or some part of a larger puzzle, and they don't develop them beyond that. I mean, yes, the alternate endings of Stein's Gate are "bad ends", but feel like legit endings of their own, with their own climax to the story and everything. Of course, if they were the actual ending it would be unsatisfying since they don't connect all the dots of the story, but at the same time, they are really satisfying on their own. You could call them bad ends, but I don't think you could do a binary classification for these, as while there are huge losses, there are other ways their story moves on and reach some sort of happiness. They capture the idea that there are these other large stories of their own beyond these other ends that I don't think I have seen other attempts at alternate endings do well.

So yeah, if you came into Stein's Gate watching the anime, I highly recommend you look for the novel, because it's worth it.

––––––––––
No Uzuki on that list after those last episodes means I hearby reject this list as lies.

Re-Creators 20

I'm surprised they're trying to use two story asspulls in a row as a means of defeating her course the second is far more sensible to use than the first was.

Fate/Apocrypha 10

Berserker went and pulled a fucking Chiaotzu. Otherwise fun seeing Saber walk all over these other servants.

MartyStu

Gamers 1 - 8

This show is actually really good. Like, surprisingly so.

A little trashy at parts, but still good.

Also, I like how it transitioned into a low-key tragedy near the end of the most recent episode.

Eh, the humor is fine. It does however suffer from the same kind of clunky dialogue and the level of cheesiness is significant.

Still an alright show though.

It's really more of a kid's show too, so while not entirely my cup of tea, I felt Season's 1 and 2 are good for what they are.

so how is this show? It looked like a throwaway show that would attempt to be deep but ultimately be about the pretty boys.

I actually disagree with Narag. It felt like a mess to me. Whiney main character who spends more time wondering what he can do than actually doing anything. It also rushes really fast through the world building. Edit: I only watched through Episode 6.

Sölf;247765979 said:

Its great now that Arslan is starting to collect allies, I think it manages to make itself different than arslan. However having KENN voice a key ally in both Altair and Arslan is lol.

I wish some of the Altair character designs were better.

Clov

Looks like it was the 10th anniversary of the Lucky Star portable shrine at the Washinomiya summer festival today :p

https://twitter.com/bluetwintail/status/904317721965338624

Aw, I was free today too! If I had known that was going on I probably could have went... oh well, maybe next year! I don't have any cute yukatas yet anyway.

Are there any other Lucky Star events soon at that shrine? I'd really like to take a trip out there to check it out!

Aw, I was free today too! If I had known that was going on I probably could have went... oh well, maybe next year! I don't have any cute yukatas yet anyway.

Are there any other Lucky Star events soon at that shrine? I'd really like to take a trip out there to check it out!

Well... Keep an eye on the website I guess:
http://www.wasimiya.org

There's a stamp rally going on right now (you'll have to spend money for this one though):
http://www.wasimiya.org/stamp10/

Ya on Twitter? :p

Yakuza kiwami

Kiryu chaaaaan~

I thoroughly enjoyed this as a whole. But not nearly as much as zero. I guess with zero this was a brand new experience and arguably one of the better games in the series with its plot, presentation and side content. Yakuza one clearly seems simplistic by comparison because you don't have nearly as much side content.

The writing overall felt weaker than zero. The writers don't know how to properly write a kid character because a 9 year old had the mental maturity of an early 20 something and spoke like a grown up. That's a bit ridiculous.

A downside of playing these games so back to back is how many reused assets really hurt my experience a bit. Kamurocho was exactly the same save for the millenium tower. You still had the same stores, only going back and forth between them. There wasn't an affection/friendship system with anybody. And encounters were done way too often to the point it became grating, it was old school jrpg levels of grating. Locking the dragon style behind an extremely annoying way to unlocking its powers meant I never used it.

A positive addition though was the majima everywhere system. Majima is a fun character, but since this is a system they only added to this remake it's off with the majima you see in the main story.

Id give the game a solid 7.5/10. But if both yakuza 2 and 6 coming to ps4 take place entirely in the same city once again I don't know if I'd need to play 3-5 immediately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom