• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re:Creators, Episode 20 - I don't want to be cynical, but for them constantly pushing the idea of "Audience Acceptance" being what powers the creations, i feel like the audience would've eventually gotten apathetic to all the asspulls and Altair being completely OP.

duckroll

Princess Principal - Episode 9

This is the weirdest commercial project in a while. It's a spy anime that doesn't want to be a spy anime and comes up with the silliest excuses to make it anything else instead. Good episode. Okouchi has access to good drugs.

With just 3 episodes left, it doesn't seem like shit is going to "get real" anytime soon. Probably a big cliffhanger at the end and then a season 2 announcement?

Monster Hunter Stories Ride On Episode 48

Great conclusion, but you can clearly tell where they realized they wanted to continue the anime. Oh well the Ebon Riders seem pretty cool and great voices. Poor Avinia.

I also am so glad Lute and Cheval made up, now they can live together. Perfect ending.

The Numbers did their routine, I needed it so much.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Well done to the mysterious troll who convinced that lass to have marmite on her toast.

Knight's & Magic Episode 10

Best boy Kid-kun episode, perfect especially his entrance to the princess chamber and later the foil of the assassination plot.

Everything resolved too fast and easily though, wonder what the next mini arc will be about.

Sterok

Princess Principal 9

Oh those Japanese and their unique quirks. Nice framing device for a relaxed episode. Chise knows how to make things funny.

This is the weirdest commercial project in a while. It's a spy anime that doesn't want to be a spy anime and comes up with the silliest excuses to make it anything else instead.

Is a anime done in 2017 with 4 moe girls with slightly oversized heads which is ignoring the possibility of developing a serious central plot and instead does a slice of life with four cute girls being cute. I almost say in the actual anime industry the weird thing would have been for them to do a real spy story.
I chuckled with Beato Japanese portrait.

Grexeno

Princess Principal is slice off life.
kB039e7.gif

Hello friends, I only posted like twice because I was studying for my MCATs. But they are finally finished, and I can spend the next month in absolute bliss before getting my scores back and deciding where to go from there.

Aria the Avennire

In celebration of my MCATs finishing, I decided to FINALLY binge the OVA of one of my favorite animes ever, which came out in 2015 (10 years after Aria the Animation came out if I'm not mistaken). It felt too short, but it was such a sweet reunion to see all the girls come back together again and reminisce. The songs remain as beautiful as ever, and the new ending theme was amazing. I'm glad they didn't give Athena any voiced lines since her VA had died a few years back, it felt very respectful. It also wrapped up the Cait Sith saga, which I personally wasn't invested in but I'm glad those who were got some closure. This wasn't anything more than a victory lap, and honestly I would've been 100% fine with Origination's ending (which was fucking amazing and didn't need anything more), but this OVA still warmed my cold heart and I cannot thank this series enough for that.

I'm still watching Rakugo, but I'll just give my thoughts when I finish up the season as episode by episode reviews are tedious.

EDIT: How do people like Sakura Quest? PA Shows are so pretty, so I was tempted to start it up. I might also try their other SoL (Hanasaku Iroha) since that one has gotten more positive reception as of late.

Aki-at

Kakegurui - 9

Finally caught up with this show. Yeah that was rough, a bunch of stills when they're about to start singing and then we move onto the next scene in a flash. This episode wasn't even about gambling at all and they seemed to have thrown all their budget at the dance segment at the end. Oh well, next episode looks like it'll get back to the over the top gambling routine.

Princess Principal is slice off life.

You have to really stretch the definition there. The majority of the show has been dedicated to character history about how the girls became spies with the rest being the occasional odd mission they go on. There's like one episode that spends time depicting their everyday life.

Sterok

KiraKira Precure À La Mode 30

More cosplay. Aoi lucks out big time while poor Himari gets stuck as an egg. Yukari naturally gets the Queen of Hearts, because what else would she be? Does she have creepy fanboys too? Akira's conflict this episode is having to deal with the school's problems, so she can't look after Miku. Not really an issue with her grandma and 4 friends looking out for her, but whatever. Elisio sure likes making everything personal. It's going to be really hard to redeem him. Elisio gets a nice morality conflict set up for her, but kirakirau does anything, so Akiria just gets a chance to be awesome. Good enough for me.

Kakegurui, Episode 9 - MAPPA was definitely cutting corners here. Thought I was watching a Picture Drama at some points. The idol storyline was definitely by far the weakest part of the series up until now.

Geist-

This is the weirdest commercial project in a while. It's a spy anime that doesn't want to be a spy anime and comes up with the silliest excuses to make it anything else instead. Good episode. Okouchi has access to good drugs.

With just 3 episodes left, it doesn't seem like shit is going to "get real" anytime soon. Probably a big cliffhanger at the end and then a season 2 announcement?

After episode 5 I think my expectations were raised too high. This episode was ok, but it feels like less of a spy show and more of a slice of life with spies.

-Minsc-

Knights & Magic - Stuff

You know, Ernesti feels way too chipper and upbeat when in battle. I seriously have to wonder if he even realizes he could be killing his opponents. Maybe I missed or they omitted a something or something line of dialogue where they made it known he goes out of his way to not kill people.

duckroll

I dunno. Breaking loanshark arms, buying a laundry company, and challenging people to duels is the opposite of slice of life...

Szadek

Welcome to the Ballroom - 4-6
I really like the new girl. She doesn't stand a chance against the main girl, because glasses.
They are really stretching my disbelief with what a naturel talent the MC is, but whatever.
It was clear from episode 1 that this anime isn't excatly realistic.

RedSwirl

Patlabor The Movie 2

Still a GOAT anime film. It's perfectly apparent why it didn't get the recognition Ghost in the Shell did though. It's pretty much just a regular detective/politics movie where some giant robots show up in the first 10 and last 10 minutes.

Negator

Knights & Magic - Stuff

You know, Ernesti feels way too chipper and upbeat when in battle. I seriously have to wonder if he even realizes he could be killing his opponents. Maybe I missed or they omitted a something or something line of dialogue where they made it known he goes out of his way to not kill people.

Maybe your outlook on death changes when you literally reroll into making your dreams come true.

Hell, maybe he thinks he's doing them all a favor!

duckroll

Those felt like afterthoughts put in when someone noticed the lack of spy stuff in the rest of the episode.

You can't really say they are afterthoughts when the entire story in each episode centers around those events. There's nothing at all that is slice of life about the show when every episode has some exaggerated dramatic beat that frames the entire story. Princess Principal is a weird ass show because every episode can literally be about anything as long as it involves these characters and a case of some sort. But it most definitely is not slice of life lol.

Ascheroth

Knights & Magic - Stuff

Tbh I doubt he cares about killing people, he's probably more hurt that he has to damage the mechs.

Patlabor The Movie 2

Still a GOAT anime film. It's perfectly apparent why it didn't get the recognition Ghost in the Shell did though. It's pretty much just a regular detective/politics movie where some giant robots show up in the first 10 and last 10 minutes.

I wouldn't exactly call it a "regular" movie, even of the detective/politics variety. But it's true that for an ostensibly Patlabor movie it doesn't have very many Patlabors, or even many of the main Patlabor cast outside of Goto. It's Oshii doing his Oshii thing.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Princess Principal Episode 9:

I wish I could figure out why the order of episodes is presented in such a non-linear fashion for its purpose remains obscured to me still. Indeed this case is from early in the time period and we finally get to see the daily life and the local danger that entails.

I can't believe they went ahead and animated the Holocaust chapter of A Centaur's Life. I'm sure everyone watching who isn't familiar with the source material will take this well.

Made in Abyss 9

Perhaps it's just how my expectations were set by other people's impressions, but I didn't find this as bad as a number of people said it was. There's certainly some ill-advised and impulsive decisions made by Reg and Riko, but while it does mean that they're incredibly lucky to keep surviving the actions taken don't seem out of character with the personalities and level of maturity they've shown up to now. I actually enjoyed this episode more than most of the Ozen arc, since we were able to see more of the fascinating environments and creatures that are the main appeal of this series for me. (Also this episode was simply better directed and animated than most of the Ozen arc.)

I can't believe they went ahead and animated the Holocaust chapter of A Centaur's Life. I'm sure everyone watching who isn't familiar with the source material will take this well.
......what? I'm assuming it's not literally going to be fantasy creatures during the Holocaust. Because all I can think about is that image of the superimposed pony in a camp with the awkward quote.

EDIT: How do people like Sakura Quest? PA Shows are so pretty, so I was tempted to start it up. I might also try their other SoL (Hanasaku Iroha) since that one has gotten more positive reception as of late.
I'm enjoying it. I admit it isn't the most thrilling of shows and the issues they deal with aren't earth shattering but they are personally important to the cast and characters in the show feel very fleshed out and that's what I'm really here for.

Knights and Magic 10
I like the general idea of focusing on the side characters this episode, but since their stuff lacks Ernesti's eccentricities, it all just seems super cliche and rushed. That goes for both Edgar's revenge match and Kid's relationship with the princess.

At least the other side seems to have a mad scientist like Ernesti, though it doesn't seem like they're on the same level unfortunately.

RedSwirl

I wouldn't exactly call it a "regular" movie, even of the detective/politics variety. But it's true that for an ostensibly Patlabor movie it doesn't have very many Patlabors, or even many of the main Patlabor cast outside of Goto. It's Oshii doing his Oshii thing.

Patlabor 2 is a regular detective/politics movie like Ghost in the Shell is a regular Blade Runner clone.

My point is, the plot of Patlabor 2 doesn't really depend on there being Patlabors, not that much anyway. You could almost remove them from it.

......what? I'm assuming it's not literally going to be fantasy creatures during the Holocaust. Because all I can think about is that image of the superimposed pony in a camp with the awkward quote.

It's the Holocaust. The history of this world is 99% the same just with vastly different species of humanoid. So the slave trade, holocaust etc all still happened.

It's weird. There are also snake people from Antarctica who are probably the Illuminati.

Think of it like how cyberpunk Android stories or the X-men are metaphors for racism and prejudice.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Made in Abyss 9

Perhaps it's just how my expectations were set by other people's impressions, but I didn't find this as bad as a number of people said it was. There's certainly some ill-advised and impulsive decisions made by Reg and Riko, but while it does mean that they're incredibly lucky to keep surviving the actions taken don't seem out of character with the personalities and level of maturity they've shown up to now. I actually enjoyed this episode more than most of the Ozen arc, since we were able to see more of the fascinating environments and creatures that are the main appeal of this series for me. (Also this episode was simply better directed and animated than most of the Ozen arc.)
I had the same reaction, where the stuff I read beforehand had me expecting the worst. Instead the episode had some of the most interesting environment work and set up scenarios that played off of the unique aspects of the location. The set pieces also had good set up and payoff, whether it was the little furballs blocking off paths by piling together, or the scent of their food being used to lure in Riko, the ecosystem here feels like an important aspect of how the world operates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom