• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soon, havent been this excited for jump anime since Owari no Serafu.
DI1DSjsVoAEzY5l.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Made in Abyss 9

Perhaps it's just how my expectations were set by other people's impressions, but I didn't find this as bad as a number of people said it was. There's certainly some ill-advised and impulsive decisions made by Reg and Riko, but while it does mean that they're incredibly lucky to keep surviving the actions taken don't seem out of character with the personalities and level of maturity they've shown up to now. I actually enjoyed this episode more than most of the Ozen arc, since we were able to see more of the fascinating environments and creatures that are the main appeal of this series for me. (Also this episode was simply better directed and animated than most of the Ozen arc.)

Made in Abyss feels like a show where I have to turn my brain off to degree to enjoy it. That might come across a bit harsh but the show/manga put all this work into making the setting so dangerous but then you have the characters be idiotic in that setting. That last episode was just baffling in that we JUST had an entire episode dedicated to the characters learning survival skills and the next episode has them doing boneheaded decisions that almost get them killed.

What purpose did that episode 8 serve if it wasn't the very basic lesson of "Don't fire that laser unless you absolutely have to. Even then, double and triple confirm you really want to do this before you even begin to consider it" ?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I remember complaining that the demi humans in Interviews with Monster Girls were a bit too normal and I guess that kinda monkey pawed into A Centaur's Life. A pretty boring show about some more weird ass demi humans, this time in a where humans seemingly never evolved from apes.

It's...okay, I guess. The only compelling question is how the hell do centaurs put on pants. That and the secret authoritarian state everyone is afraid to offend and being sent to reeducation camps but who cares about that.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I dunno. Breaking loanshark arms, buying a laundry company, and challenging people to duels is the opposite of slice of life...

This episode was clearly there to inform the Japanese audience that this is what a slice of life in Britain is like.

Made in Abyss feels like a show where I have to turn my brain off to degree to enjoy it. That might come across a bit harsh but the show/manga put all this work into making the setting so dangerous but then you have the characters be idiotic in that setting. That last episode was just baffling in that we JUST had an entire episode dedicated to the characters learning survival skills and the next episode has them doing boneheaded decisions that almost get them killed.

What purpose did that episode 8 serve if it wasn't the very basic lesson of "Don't fire that laser unless you absolutely have to. Even then, double and triple confirm you really want to do this before you even begin to consider it" ?

Given that episode 9 explicitly showed Reg thinking back to Ozen's advice about his Incinerator, I think it's fair to say Reg did consider it at the time. Now the advice was basically "Don't fire that thing willy-nilly because of the side-effects, but if you're really in mortal danger, then use it and go all out to make sure the threat is eliminated." Reg felt that Riko and he were in mortal danger at that moment, so he decided to focus on the last part of that advice and decisively eliminate the immediate threat. Now was that the best choice to make in that situation? Perhaps not. Might there not have been other viable options such as further running away or getting Lyza's weapon from Riko to fight back with? Sure. But when forced to make that decision in the moment, I think the actions Reg took are understandable. Reg is powerful and Riko is knowledgeable, but neither of them have been shown to have the ability to make strong snap judgments.

Jarmel

Banned
Given that episode 9 explicitly showed Reg thinking back to Ozen's advice about his Incinerator, I think it's fair to say Reg did consider it at the time. Now the advice was basically "Don't fire that thing willy-nilly because of the side-effects, but if you're really in mortal danger, then use it and go all out to make sure the threat is eliminated." Reg felt that Riko and he were in mortal danger at that moment, so he decided to focus on the last part of that advice and decisively eliminate the immediate threat. Now was that the best choice to make in that situation? Perhaps not. Might there not have been other viable options such as further running away or getting Lyza's weapon from Riko to fight back with? Sure. But when forced to make that decision in the moment, I think the actions Reg took are understandable. Reg is powerful and Riko is knowledgeable, but neither of them have been shown to have the ability to make strong snap judgments.

I don't think it's understandable at all considering he didn't consider any other options or even make the attempt at getting away. He pretty much thinks about it for a second and says fuck it. This wasn't different at all from any of the previous encounters and guess what ends up happening? There's multiple monsters lurking about anyway so they had to run regardless. There's little to no action on his part to find another approach which the end of the episode trivializes additionally.

https://sakugabooru.com/data/fea85f730cc7e6c610652041d26aa112.mp4

We see him do this rocket punch thing and I'm thinking if he's that fast or can be in spurts then when doesn't he do this more often or try to run away? It's not just Reg though as Riko was an idiot this episode as well. Reg specifically says to her to not move unless you have to and what does she do? She goes off chasing food. Just wait two hours. She can't even do that correctly. She should know she's completely helpless if anything goes wrong and she decides to go exploring.

This is right after we had a training arc that was supposed to bolster their survival skills and decisions.

what does this even mean? you want it to focus more on the story than say be a show for action scenes?

what do you like normally? what do you want to read/watch?
I read/watch everything. Basically asking for more story/world based shows in any genre :)

Shinsekai Yori
Haven't heard of this one I'll give it a try thanks
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
I've already watched this :p thanks

.hack//SIGN is all about The World.

Inferno Cop.
Love these two

Squishy3

I read/watch everything. Basically asking for more story/world based shows in any genre :)

Haven't heard of this one I'll give it a try thanks

I've already watched this :p thanks

Love these two
Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu would probably be up your alley. It focuses on a Yakuza fresh out of prison whose only entertainment during his incarceration was Rakugo, the art of a person telling a story (think of it as a one person play, for lack of a better description) with only their voice and using a paper fan and small cloth as props. Upon getting out, he seeks out the person whose Rakugo he liked the most for an apprenticeship, and begins his journey into the world of Rakugo and his master's story.

Szadek

Can anyone recommend me a show (or manga) more focused on story or the world? Something like Monster but not limited to that genre. Thanks :)
I would recommand Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Psycho-Pass for world building.
Since you like Monster, you should also checkout The Count of Monte Cristo.

I don't think it's understandable at all considering he didn't consider any other options or even make the attempt at getting away. He pretty much thinks about it for a second and says fuck it. This wasn't different at all from any of the previous encounters and guess what ends up happening? There's multiple monsters lurking about anyway so they had to run regardless. There's little to no action on his part to find another approach which the end of the episode trivializes additionally.

He did consider another option; we hear him think "It's so quick! Even if I hurl my fists at it, they'll just get chomped on!' That shows him making the immediate judgment that the creature is too fast and powerful to run away from or attack with lesser means. Thus he decides to pull out his trump card. Now an objective analysis of the situation may indicate that that was not the optimal course of action for him to take - without a full understanding of the capabilities of these creatures it's difficult for me to say - but under the pressure of a life-and-death situation I can't say I would have the ability to think calmly and carefully evaluate all possible options.

We see him do this rocket punch thing and I'm thinking if he's that fast or can be in spurts then when doesn't he do this more often or try to run away? It's not just Reg though as Riko was an idiot this episode as well. Reg specifically says to her to not move unless you have to and what does she do? She goes off chasing food. Just wait two hours. She can't even do that correctly. She should know she's completely helpless if anything goes wrong and she decides to go exploring.

That was definitely not the optimal course of action for Riko to take, but we've seen that she's impulsive and gets easily overwhelmed by the eagerness of her desires. Feeling like she needs to satisfy her hunger immediately makes sense for her character. I'm just glad she made sure to drag Reg with her instead of leaving him behind.

This is right after we had a training arc that was supposed to bolster their survival skills and decisions.

There wasn't much actual training though; Ozen just threw the two of them into the wilds for ten days and they somehow survived.

Narag

Kakegurui 9

me last week: man this looks like shit i bet that Altair show looks even worse let me check out the latest ep
me this week: thank god i picked up Altair

Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu would probably be up your alley. It focuses on a Yakuza fresh out of prison whose only entertainment during his incarceration was Rakugo, the art of a person telling a story (think of it as a one person play, for lack of a better description) with only their voice and using a paper fan and small cloth as props. Upon getting out, he seeks out the person whose Rakugo he liked the most for an apprenticeship, and begins his journey into the world of Rakugo and his master's story.

I would recommand Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex and Psycho-Pass for world building.
Since you like Monster, you should also checkout The Count of Monte Cristo.
Would you guys recommend anime or manga version of these?

Jarmel

Banned
He did consider another option; we hear him think "It's so quick! Even if I hurl my fists at it, they'll just get chomped on!' That shows him making the immediate judgment that the creature is too fast and powerful to run away from or attack with lesser means. Thus he decides to pull out his trump card. Now an objective analysis of the situation may indicate that that was not the optimal course of action for him to take - without a full understanding of the capabilities of these creatures it's difficult for me to say - but under the pressure of a life-and-death situation I can't say I would have the ability to think calmly and carefully evaluate all possible options..

Alright maybe this is a difference of opinion in regards to the directional quality as I don't think the anime did a good enough job of selling the desperation in that scene. If he was supposed to be so cornered that he felt he had no other option then the anime did a poor job of making the audience feel that tension. That encounter didn't feel any different than previous ones.

Looking at the scene again he doesn't try anything and he was fast enough to get from the mouth of the cave to Riko's location before the madokajack could grab her. There's zero reason why a viewer would think he's in serious trouble.

That was definitely not the optimal course of action for Riko to take, but we've seen that she's impulsive and gets easily overwhelmed by the eagerness of her desires. Feeling like she needs to satisfy her hunger immediately makes sense for her character. I'm just glad she made sure to drag Reg with her instead of leaving him behind.

Riko's error is in some ways the more egregious of the two as she's supposed to be the intelligent one. Not to mention Riko's wandering had her stumble across that madokajack nest in the beginning so it seems she should have learned from her prior mistake.

There wasn't much actual training though; Ozen just threw the two of them into the wilds for ten days and they somehow survived.
It was supposed to build up their dependency on one another as the other could make up for their own personal deficiencies. Instead this episode boiled down to everyone making poor decisions on their own. There was pretty much no teamwork in this episode besides Riko throwing the pickaxe to Reg at the end.

zulux21

Uh, that makes no sense. That's not how this works.

the number of shows that funimation has announced for simuldub on their site and have appeared on toonami that year or the next so far...

the only series that were simuldubbed by funimation and released on toonami released there first.

really not sure how that doesn't make sense or how it doesn't work.

in general toonami wants the dubs first, the stuff that isn't dubbed there first tends to be much older shows.

Squishy3

Would you guys recommend anime or manga version of these?
I'm recommending the anime for Rakugo, and as far as I know it doesn't leave anything out from the manga. For SAC, it's a different story based on the Ghost in the Shell manga by Masamune Shirow, so it uses the same characters and themes and the like, but isn't telling the same story. Psycho-Pass is an original story that started as an anime and later got adapted in other formats. If you end up enjoying it, S2 was poorly received but the movie is supposed to be good.

Ghost in the Shell's original animated movie from 1995 would probably also be worth a watch if you've never seen it.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why do these inexperienced heroes descending into a pit that warps their minds not think critically in a life threatening situation? I just....don't understand why people obsess about these things. They set up an adventure and didn't force it to happen through completely convoluted means. I'm sure people complaining about Made In Abyss this week will also sound off about how the ending does not wrap up the story in a few weeks. We got cool new creatures that actually seemed to fit into a food chain. The action sequences felt tense early on and finished on an almost heroic note.

Lain

Kakegurui 9

This episode felt just like yet another setup, which made it underwhelming for me. At least Yumeko rocked.

Yu Yu Hakusho 37

I was already annoyed at how Funimation prioritized the credits for their English dub in the ED, crunching the original Japanese credits into a small portion at the end, but now even their translation of the original credits have collapsed into complete inaccuracy. Shinbo certainly didn't direct the last three episodes in a row (he only directed #35 in reality). It would almost be better to leave the credits out entirely if they can't be bothered to ensure that they're correct.

Are you sure you weren't playing Yakuza 0?

I don't think Kiryu has bought a laundry company yet, but he should.

Why do these inexperienced heroes descending into a pit that warps their minds not think critically in a life threatening situation? I just....don't understand why people obsess about these things. They set up an adventure and didn't force it to happen through completely convoluted means. I'm sure people complaining about Made In Abyss this week will also sound off about how the ending does not wrap up the story in a few weeks. We got cool new creatures that actually seemed to fit into a food chain. The action sequences felt tense early on and finished on an almost heroic note.

Because these inexperienced heroes have no reason to even be alive anymore if they're that fucking stupid.

I also don't think 12-year olds are literally incapable of following even the most basic logic such as not wandering into a dark cave in an already extremely hostile world. Riko did just that without being in a life threatening situation and Riko clearly knows a lot about the abyss, given that she can name many of the creatures at the drop of a hat. But I'm to believe she was never taught the basics of danger and the past few times she almost bit the dust didn't affect her either?

Furthermore, she then does get saved, and after explicitly being told to not move, because it would once again mean risking not just her, but Reg's life, which she clearly cares for a lot, she goes wandering off again because she's hungry. Barely makes sense that they don't have any food, to begin with, but that this justifies wandering around without a care in the world is asinine. Even if she were 7 instead of 12.

Just finished the OG Hellsing series, aka Hellsing without the Nazis. I guess this is worth a watch if you like the concept of Hellsing but didn't like how hammy the execution was. It reminds me a lot of the Stardust Crusaders OVA in how more seriously it takes the story. The filler content was kind of eh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom