• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
AoT Season 2 showed up dubbed on TOONAMI first...by like a week I believe.

Dimension W was also something like that. It isn't unheard of.

Lupin's English dub is also first on TOONAMI I believe and is three weeks behind on Funimation.

AoT Season 2 showed up dubbed on TOONAMI first...by like a week I believe.

Dimension W was also something like that. It isn't unheard of.

Lupin's English dub is also first on TOONAMI I believe and is three weeks behind on Funimation.

AOT2 would go up a day after on Funimation's site. Lupin I think is two weeks behind the Toonami Broadcast. They up an episode this week so I'm not sure if they plan to skip a week soon to account for a marathon.

In regards to Black Clover, it all comes down to whether Hulu snatches up the rights like they did with MHA.

Hamst3r

Having finished old Gatchaman recently (skipping Eagle Riders) I moved on to Gatchaman Crowds. I've watched both seasons and I like a lot of the changes to the series, like the switch from environmentalism to sociopolitical issues, and the more serial nature of the narrative. I think it explored some interesting topics, and it was amusingly "now" in a lot of ways.

Can't say I was a big fan of the cyber-armor or the higher-energy characters. I think I'd like this show more as a slow gritty rumination on society. The bright colors and stuff can stay, I'd have just preferred if the manicness was brought down several clicks, sans Katse, he can stay crazy.

Which leads me to... Patlabor TV - episode 2 - Yeah, the SV2 crew is really my least favorite part of Patlabor. But, kind of like with Gatchaman Crowds, me not liking the characters in a show isn't that big of a deal if the show is interesting. So, I'm hoping this get interesting.

Yu Yu Hakusho 38

This is the most rigged tournament in the history of rigged tournaments.

Which leads me to... Patlabor TV - episode 2 - Yeah, the SV2 crew is really my least favorite part of Patlabor. But, kind of like with Gatchaman Crowds, me not liking the characters in a show isn't that big of a deal if the show is interesting. So, I'm hoping this get interesting.

Patlabor TV is very character-focused. If you don't like the characters, you're unlikely to like the show.

Grexeno

AOT2 would go up a day after on Funimation's site. Lupin I think is two weeks behind the Toonami Broadcast. They up an episode this week so I'm not sure if they plan to skip a week soon to account for a marathon.

In regards to Black Clover, it all comes down to whether Hulu snatches up the rights like they did with MHA.
Hulu shows all of Funi's dubs. They never get any exclusive rights.

EDIT: Also, recently DeMarco responded to a question about MHA with "don't expect stuff that shows up on Netflix to come for a while."

Obviously this is weird because MHA isn't on American Netflix (it is on Japanese Netflix but that's a completely different can of worms), which raises the question of whether or not he thought he was talking about LWA instead.

Either way Hulu isn't a factor.

Cornbread78

Kakegurui ep.9
3DKmdkY.png
A step down from the prior craziness, but next week looks like things will amp up!

Narag

Made in Abyss 9

Cute ep. I think the problems were a little overstated and expecting years of ingrained behavior to be wiped away with just 10 days of training is about as unrealistic as the idea of Riko surviving on her own. It's a conceit of the storytelling to impart this bit of Riko's character to the audience after realizing she's not always going to get so lucky in the future.

Grexeno

All this discussion about the recent Made in Abyss episode can be boiled down to "anime-original is as anime-original does"

Taruranto

Koi to Uso 9

I'll eat my hat if this character goes anywhere else other than "Yeah, your love was oneside but it wasn't useless, now turn straight!".

This episode was good, I hope the girl at end of the episode is actually GOD or something.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
PriPri 9

I could've sworn we had a "let's review the characters" episode but here it is again??

Twin Peaks the Return END

Penultimate episode felt like a finale.

The final episode...felt like a...prequel to Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway. The last minute just makes me think that after 18 hours, Lynch decided to make a season 3 to show why season 3 shouldnt be made. Maybe? Gonna need to wait another 25 years for someone to even attempt to piece FWWM and this together.

I'm probably going to be thinking about those last 30 seconds forever though. How's Annie part two

duckroll

PriPri 9

I could've sworn we had a "let's review the characters" episode but here it is again??

Ep6 = Dorothy teaches a younger girl thieving skills
Ep8 = Dorothy teaches a younger girl thieving skills

Ep6 = Spies work in a mundane environment for a case
Ep7 = Spies work in a mundane environment for a case

Ep6 = Let's sing a song
Ep7 = Let's sing a song

Ep6 = Loansharks are bad
Ep7 = Loansharks are bad

The show has a limited number of themes Okouchi woke up one morning and said "we need this" and he puts them in multiple episodes! Nothing new!

duckroll

Why would Bandai Visual buy a studio that's giving them issues? It seems more likely that they're happy working with the studio after multiple projects and they want to take them off the market so they focus on Bandai properties. There's nothing about GuP that requires Actus to be the studio making it. The staff can easily move to another studio if Bandai wants to drop them due to problems.

Jarmel

Banned
Why would Bandai Visual buy a studio that's giving them issues? It seems more likely that they're happy working with the studio after multiple projects and they want to take them off the market so they focus on Bandai properties. There's nothing about GuP that requires Actus to be the studio making it. The staff can easily move to another studio if Bandai wants to drop them due to problems.
Didn't the Garupan movie go way overbudget? Also seems like they're implementing a new management scheme.

duckroll

Didn't the Garupan movie go way overbudget? Also seems like they're implementing a new management scheme.

I don't know but whether it did or not would have little to do with the studio itself. Stuff like that is managed between the producer and the director. Incidentally, the producer who will be a part time board member in Actus is the same Bandai producer who was behind GuP and Princess Principal. Clearly a sign that Bandai is confident in the results and are very happy with the partnership up until now.

http://nlab.itmedia.co.jp/nl/articles/1709/04/news049.html
Because Bandai think Actas can create new stunning IP lol.

dickroach

Dragonball Super - 106

Piccolo continues his reign as best dad in the series, will no one ever challenge his title?
ya. that guy whose surrogate father he is.

870f3306cd295715ae23620572b6d730.png

I really think the recruitment set up this tournament to end with Gohan picturing Pan and having a whole big, screaming monologue scene mid-fight where he's like "I can't let you destroy our universe, my daughter is going to grow up to be a something whatever etc....

anyway, I liked the battle. very Jojo. reminded me of that guy who'd teamed up with Hol Horse, what with all the reflecting

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
We already have tank girls, boat girls, boats piloted by girls but who aren't themselves boats, planes girls, gun girls... What's left?

MSMrRound

Gamers episode 8

Gamers...all the misunderstandings...it just works. Much better episode compared to last week's. Uehara's voice actor really putting in work with his reactions

Symphogear AXZ 08

Genjuuro too OP, plz nerf.

giphy.gif

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Symphogear AXZ Episode 8:

Given how powerful the coach is you might wonder why he doesn't have a presence on the field but then you remember for as mookish as the Alca-Noise can get they are still incredibly dangerous to even badass normal people. Also, we finally got the payoff to the wounded veteran sub-plot that was in no way interesting or engaging.
Was not expecting Coriolistro to get flat out killed given how off these girls make face turns but there you are.

MSMrRound

I love how it's never explained why he is so OP.

Movies. The answer all lies in movies. That's why they got the girls to watch
anti-tank warfare movies *cough the hulk* in AXZ episode 1 and Hibiki did that Tank smash thing of hers

Symphogear XD Unlimited (mobage spoilers)

The thing about Genjuuro in the game is that
the alt-version of him for Kanade's event was more of a fan of those tearjerker romance movies and hardly watches any action movies, which is why he is such a softie and not good at combat

moogs

Neo Member
Ohh I'd like to hear your thoughts on Mio's story.

Mio was central to some of my favorite episodes, specifically episodes 6, 7, and 21. Acting was a great direction for her as it suited her strong, versatile personality. Her persona and design is striking when she's being unreserved or serious. I appreciated how she faced Rin, Uzuki, and everyone else head-on. Although rash, she was instantly ready to confront Mishiro after learning about what happened with Karen and Nao's CD debut. The New Generations rehearsal scene was excellent and evocative. She did well to support Rin's conflicting interests and to resolve that struggle within their unit herself. Had Uzuki actually taken Mio's theatrics to heart she would've had some of the answers she'd seek later on.

Energetic and compassionate, Mio is one of the most complete and powerful characters in the show but is still somewhat arrogant and a little blind. She played many key social roles, from leading discussions and promoting bonding to encouraging others with positive energy and defusing tension with jovial humor. Her one-track mind concentrated her proactive nature. Despite being portrayed with a potentially off-putting air of egotism, her high capability for self-examination offsets this. Additionally, she had an astounding capacity for accepting the perspectives of others when they were made clear to her. Some of her merits were underplayed though. For example, she procured plenty of research materials for improving not only herself but also her unit members while Rin formed a new unit and Uzuki spun her wheels. That said, she was responsible as the unit's leader, but that responsibility was undercut by the show's agenda. The narrative was set up to have her crash this way at many points, not only to burn but also to ignite her.

I won't fault her for behaving her age when her bubble burst in episode six. Her unrealistic expectations were utterly betrayed and she became severely embarrassed and ashamed because of it. Being the leader added a sense of guilt to it. Mio misinterpreted the producer's words, yet even if she understood them at that time they still wouldn't have improved the situation. His insensitive statement, despite being low-key commending, only made matters worse. All in all, I don't hold her past vulnerability against her as her progress and accomplishments since then outweigh that. She's aware of the damage she causes and takes and is capable of full recovery. Once again, I wouldn't fault Mio for running out on Rin and Uzuki in episode 20 when they both responded to her questions with "I don't know." Unfortunately, Mio was often a victim of the incompetence of those around her.

Anyway, I've decided to whittle down my rankings one more time. From the beginning, I wanted to favor a character from the main trio first and foremost because I knew they'd receive the most content. So in light of Uzuki the defeatist and Rin the thinker*, the choice was made easy.

0. The producer, 1. Mio, 2. Ranko, 3. Miku
––––––––––
* "What is fun?"

blurr

Mio was central to some of my favorite episodes, specifically episodes 6, 7, and 21. Acting was a great direction for her as it suited her strong, versatile personality. Her persona and design is striking when she's being unreserved or serious. I appreciated how she faced Rin, Uzuki, and everyone else head-on. Although rash, she was instantly ready to confront Mishiro after learning about what happened with Karen and Nao's CD debut. The New Generations rehearsal scene was excellent and evocative. She did well to support Rin's conflicting interests and to resolve that struggle within their unit herself. Had Uzuki actually taken Mio's theatrics to heart she would've had some of the answers she'd seek later on.

Energetic and compassionate, Mio is one of the most complete and powerful characters in the show but is still somewhat arrogant and a little blind. She played many key social roles, from leading discussions and promoting bonding to encouraging others with positive energy and defusing tension with jovial humor. Her one-track mind concentrated her proactive nature. Despite being portrayed with a potentially off-putting air of egotism, her high capability for self-examination offsets this. Additionally, she had an astounding capacity for accepting the perspectives of others when they were made clear to her. Some of her merits were underplayed though. For example, she procured plenty of research materials for improving not only herself but also her unit members while Rin formed a new unit and Uzuki spun her wheels. That said, she was responsible as the unit's leader, but that responsibility was undercut by the show's agenda. The narrative was set up to have her crash this way at many points, not only to burn but also to ignite her.

I won't fault her for behaving her age when her bubble burst in episode six. Her unrealistic expectations were utterly betrayed and she became severely embarrassed and ashamed because of it. Being the leader added a sense of guilt to it. Mio misinterpreted the producer's words, yet even if she understood them at that time they still wouldn't have improved the situation. His insensitive statement, despite being low-key commending, only made matters worse. All in all, I don't hold her past vulnerability against her as her progress and accomplishments since then outweigh that. She's aware of the damage she causes and takes and is capable of full recovery. Once again, I wouldn't fault Mio for running out on Rin and Uzuki in episode 20 when they both responded to her questions with "I don't know." Unfortunately, Mio was often a victim of the incompetence of those around her.

Anyway, I've decided to whittle down my rankings one more time. From the beginning, I wanted to favor a character from the main trio first and foremost because I knew they'd receive the most content. So in light of Uzuki the defeatist and Rin the thinker*, the choice was made easy.

0. The producer, 1. Mio, 2. Ranko, 3. Miku
––––––––––
* "What is fun?"

Yep, Mio's arc in season 2 was a great point of the show - I loved that she used her newly discovered talent to resolve Rin's dilemma. I can see why you would like her as a character and she does improve a lot by the course of the show. However her enthusiasm while greatly appreciated interms of how it helped the cast, as a viewer, I can't say I share that at times so there's some disconnect with her, this is probably owing to the show's lack of capturing the essence and appeal of idol work in general which I've mentioned earlier.

I'm perhaps more sympathetic towards Uzuki's defeatist slump and sort of like her innocent charisma before she reached that point. I also liked Rin's arc, in relation to the events of Karen and Nao, conflicting decisions that highlight sometimes you need to think about yourself were avenues I don't see very often in media so she for indirect reasons stands out a bit for me out of the three girls. That being said, it doesn't highlight how much Rin or Uzuki are good as characters. I've just generally found their stories to be more interesting and endearing at points.

blurr

Re:Creators 11

I liked almost the entire episode but I wish Kanoya and Sota's conversation wasn't exclusively centered around "creation" but I can see why it would. It's a train of thought that applies to many things.

Sota's story about Shimazaki is incomplete but I'm assuming it will carry over in the next episode. I can understand how difficult it is for him to overcome his envy as a teenager, I struggle even as an adult at times. His discernment over what caused his guilt is well beyond a teenager's sense of judgement I feel but I'll let it go considering he had been quiet about it during pivotal moments until damage was done.

phaze

Gakusen Toshi Asterisk 13-24 END
Not even particularly offended, went in expecting nothing and got a bit more. lolz though at last 3 minutes and them desperately cramming in as much as they could + sudden Kobayashi appearance.

S2 and finally more Claudia when.

Virgin Soul 20

These post-credits scenes need to die.

The fight scenes sure were good though. I'm mostly lukewarm about the show by now but you've got to hand it to Mappa, they're constantly putting in shift when it matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom