• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Narag

Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid 10
OITwmbMl.jpg

I'm glad Fafnir's contributions were accepted.

Jarmel

Banned
Kekkai Sensen-Rewatch
I only intended to watch the first episode as I'm behind on other shows in my backlog. I ended up burning through the entire cour. It's not as rough as I remember it being from a production standpoint, maybe some of that has to do with BD corrections and a higher bitrate output. Certain episodes like episode 7, the fight club one, didn't seem anywhere near as bad as I initially thought they were. Although there are definitely some super rough patches, especially near the end.
I think the show worked better for me in a marathon format although it did highlight a few flaws that didn't bother me the first time through. For starters I didn't like how White/Black were integrated, or rather the lack thereof, into the show. There's generally just snippets thrown at the beginning of the episode or at the end. You can tell it's anime original material and maybe there was a better way of interweaving Matsumoto's material into the show. The other was that the dips in the show, from a storyboarding quality side, are really apparent. I mean really apparent. Episode 10 was the worst by a country mile. 10 makes sense though as the production, and presumably Matsumoto, was super strained at that point. 3 and 4 I'm not sure about, I don't know whether Matsumoto was under pressure and couldn't devote her full energy or she didn't care that much about those two. Episode 4 in particular is really sloppy.
I really liked the finale, which surprised me as I remember being lukewarm on it the first time. That said, there's a 10 minute segment in the second half that's not only kinda bad visually, it's a bit muddled plot-wise. I thought the first part of it though was pretty solid as it did a good job establishing Leo's determination. The finale was surprisingly adept too at linking back to the beginning of the show. Leo's quote that he yells at White is the one Klaus says to Leo in the first episode.
The reason I rewatched the entire cour is probably because of how much I like the setting. It's not based in Japan or some faux-fantasy location. On top of that it uses NYC as a palette to be an extra bit crazy. The above screenshot has some generic restaurant-goers being eaten by their own clam chowder. It's different. That's a big reason why I'm looking forward to Violet Evergarden. I wish more shows played loose with the setting. Of course not everybody, or anybody really, can match Kimura's art. Kimura is a god.
bQoUq0G.jpg

Innocent.
I read through some of the manga and it's surprising how much of the humor comes from the source material. The anime though does flesh out a lot of the jokes in substantial ways like Zapp beating the shit out of Leo for pizza. I would actually read through the complete manga if the art wasn't so fucking awful. I know that's Nightow's style but damn do I hate it. I'm curious how 'faithful' the second season will be compared to the first. Comedy is what this cour excelled at, so I'm wondering how much of that is going to take a hit due to lack of Matsumoto or if enough groundwork is there that they can skate by.
I also came across this shot which explains the title of the second season. Here I just thought they wanted a cool word that started with B to go along with BBB.

Jarmel

Banned
Is it really that far-fetched for it to not have?

Here's a race of animals that are normally tiny. Here's a story of what happens when one of them just so happens to be the size of a human.

Yea it kinda is, especially considering each iteration of them seems to get progressively stronger and bigger based on what they eat. This should have happened long ago.

It's also pretty coincidental that the one place where this happens is the one place that has no way or desire to contact the outside world. How very coincidental.

Narag

It's also pretty coincidental that the one place where this happens is the one place that has no way or desire to contact the outside world. How very coincidental.

it's horror movie logic like being trapped in a cabin out in god knows where. iirc the arc borrows a lot from that like other arcs were tapping into specific genres

Jarmel

Banned
it's horror movie logic like being trapped in a cabin out in god knows where. iirc the arc borrows a lot from that like other arcs were tapping into specific genres

Yea I was actually thinking of horror movies as well. It's just a little ridiculous that this country pops up just for this arc. However world building has never been this show's strong suit.

jonjonaug

From /r/anime: The fanart of Altair on display in Re: Creators episode 20 is actual, real life fanart. Rei Hiroe made a fanart-bait character who's superpower is that she gets stronger from fanworks, and then they turned around and used actual fanwork in the show.

duckroll

From /r/anime: The fanart of Altair on display in Re: Creators episode 20 is actual, real life fanart. Rei Hiroe made a fanart-bait character who's superpower is that she gets stronger from fanworks, and then they turned around and used actual fanwork in the show.

Pretty cool. They definitely anticipated this when they wrote it though. It would have to have been a massive bomb for them not to have material to work with by episode 20.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Development
The original version of Fate/stay night, now called Old Fate (旧Fate, Kyū Fate?) and Fate Origin, was a novel that Nasu wrote during high school, eventually being vastly redesigned as a visual novel to suit the target audience. They were reluctant to completely abandon many of the "original charms" that were discarded, and they had wished to utilize them somehow with each passing year. Twenty years after originally being penned, they decided to make use of the release of Carnival Phantasm, discarding other proposals like Princess Arcueid VS Saber Lily or a scene from Tsukihime 2, to "just once, return to the original" for the company's belated tenth anniversary.

They decided to frame the animation like a movie trailer, utilizing the best parts and still telling the story properly. Nasu feels that the main idea of the work was in the style of an ‘80s romance, “A story of revolutionizing the world”, and took great interest in returning to the work. The large difference in obtaining the Holy Grail from the original to the final product in Fate/stay night can be said to represent the changing trends of the period.[1]
Nasu feels that the main idea of the work was in the style of an ‘80s romance, “A story of revolutionizing the world”, and took great interest in returning to the work.
“A story of revolutionizing the world”

Theonik

This asshole wrote and storyboarded the last episode.
Is this the anime equivalent of farting in a room then promptly leaving?

pretty sure the manager didn't have one so no
In a world where everyone is mofu mofu, surely our creative works would also be generally mofu so in the waywe have mofu girls in some things we will have non mofu as the exception.

Thud

Gintama 38-39
Gin and Kaguya build the Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon.
Katsura adopts the way of ramen
Elizabeth fails to get adopted.

Good episodes.

Neo Armstrong Cyclone Jet Armstrong Cannon is one of those episodes I keep rewatching.

Really, it's perfect.

Jarmel

Banned
HxH-92

Jesus Christ, the Hunters Association is so incompetent. They didn't contain the situation at all. The grunts are now going around causing mass chaos.

This has to be the shittiest fictional world ever to live in.

Jarmel

Banned
have you ever read up about how awful wh40k's setting is for, well, everyone?

I haven't read wh40k in a long time and I know it's really bad but it would have to be extremely impressive of a shithole to beat this. HxH has a city the size of NYC that is a lawless junkyard and the villain of this arc just set up a meat plantation. If you don't have even a basic amount of Nen then you're a walking meatbag.

I dunno Demolition Man's world is pretty shitty.

But the worst has to be any universe where your soul can be harvested by evil forever as energy like Warhammer, Warcraft and the Cthulhu mythos

blurr

HxH 77

How the fuck has this never happened until just now?

If you're okay with slight manga spoilers for later chapters:
Chimera ants are believed to have migrated from the "outer world" which is an entire uninhabited continent surrounding the known world of HxH or the world where the people/humans reside. The current arc in HxH manga focuses on them visiting this outer world.

I'm pretty sure a universe where your typical war seems to kill billions upon billions of people and destroying a solar system of planets and harvesting the souls of those living on those planets is worse than anything going on in HxH.

I don't care how much power you can gain by worshipping certain gods the WH40k universe is a basically a fucking hellscape to live in.

Jarmel

Banned
If you're okay with slight manga spoilers for later chapters:
Chimera ants are believed to have migrated from the "outer world" which is an entire uninhabited continent surrounding the known world of HxH or the world where the people/humans reside. The current arc in HxH manga focuses on them visiting this outer world.

So them migrating is more of a recent event?

PillarEN

Friend asking about Berserk Golden Age Arc films. Are they good or bad? I told him I know the manga and 97 anime are considered good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom