• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Friend asking about Berserk Golden Age Arc films. Are they good or bad? I told him I know the manga and 97 anime are considered good.
The cg animation is wonky in the first film, it looks a bit better in film 2, and much better in film 3. It gets a lot of hate in this community but imho unless your friend has a frame of reference to the Manga or older anime he'll be fine and enjoy himself, I know my friends did.

The films skip some material that isn't necessary to the plot for the sake of fitting it into 3 films. The TV show doesn't skip as much from what I recall, but it also doesn't reach quite as far as the films do.

His first option should always be to read the Manga which is arguably one of the most gorgeous ones out there. If he's not sure that he wants to commit himself to that investment he can watch the films, see the basic idea of the golden age arc and if he likes it he can reread that plus continue on with the Manga.

It's much harder to make general audiences enjoy an older non HD anime that many believe. So many, myself included when I first started watching Anime heavily, would rather avoid older shows because the quality of IQ and aspect ratio would bother them.

Friend asking about Berserk Golden Age Arc films. Are they good or bad? I told him I know the manga and 97 anime are considered good.

The 97 anime does that arc the best. Good pacing and omitting some pointless fights benefit it substantially.

I suppose the continuity with what comes after in the manga is a bit mangled but then that arc was Berserk at its best anyway.

PillarEN

Well he just disclosed to me that he already watched the first two haha. He has no other frame of reference though. I told him to watch the 97 series if he likes this trilogy. Apparently he really dug the first two flicks so he'll probably love the series.

Don't worry. I told him to avoid the 2016 edition.
any pervs in this thread? if so you might enjoy the new humble bundle

it's a hunniepop/sakura bundle lol

NSFW bundle

I did always want to play HuniePop, but have no interest in the rest.

They're okay. The first film has really spotty CG animation. They adapt enough of the material from the manga to be cohesive, but if you want a more complete adaptation of the arc, the 97 anime is the way to go.

Joe Molotov

DI-_ZAss_XYAIIm_LL.jpg

...What is Centaur Life about again?

A Centuar's Worries, indeed.

Thud

The cg animation is wonky in the first film, it looks a bit better in film 2, and much better in film 3. It gets a lot of hate in this community but imho unless your friend has a frame of reference to the Manga or older anime he'll be fine and enjoy himself, I know my friends did.

The films skip some material that isn't necessary to the plot for the sake of fitting it into 3 films. The TV show doesn't skip as much from what I recall, but it also doesn't reach quite as far as the films do.

His first option should always be to read the Manga which is arguably one of the most gorgeous ones out there. If he's not sure that he wants to commit himself to that investment he can watch the films, see the basic idea of the golden age arc and if he likes it he can reread that plus continue on with the Manga.

It's much harder to make general audiences enjoy an older non HD anime that many believe. So many, myself included when I first started watching Anime heavily, would rather avoid older shows because the quality of IQ and aspect ratio would bother them.

Berserk is easier to get into than the old DBZ anime :p.

TissueBox

Ugh I love Kannagi's ending song... been the latest anime earworm for me, throwing it on before knocking out each night is the best. ^^'

Shergal

If you're okay with slight manga spoilers for later chapters:
Chimera ants are believed to have migrated from the "outer world" which is an entire uninhabited continent surrounding the known world of HxH or the world where the people/humans reside. The current arc in HxH manga focuses on them visiting this outer world.

The current arc in HxH manga focuses on them visiting this outer world.

hahah

Squishy3

What the hell is this

https://twitter.com/arzE/status/905131188175519744

One of the slides on the Instagram account says "Netflix, September 22"
did a quick google search and this came back from 2015

http://www.stereogum.com/1931821/he...imated-series-with-jaden-smith-jude-law/news/

I was just part of a really eccentric and exciting project that Ezra Koenig, who’s the lead singer of Vampire Weekend — he wrote and conceived this animated series that’s about to start, I believe on Netflix, called Neo Yokyo. I think Jaden Smith is playing this little boy called Kai in it, and I’m his butler. I’m this kind of huge robot butler called Charles, who is also a rocket ship. And it takes place in a New York that is sort of combined with Tokyo in the future.

phaze

Aho Girl 10

I'm impressed at how they continuously reach newfound levels of dumb. Also how far they're going with some of these jokes. Best episode since a long time even if that last skit was taking it too far.

Jarmel

Banned
That's Illumi's deal. Pins in heads.

It completely denigrates his character progression for this arc. He actually had a strong character flaw that they were going to address and instead 'lol nope it's a fucking pin'. It undercuts all the character scenes with Killua this arc and even retroactively makes this fight stupid. He's supposed to be afraid of enemies that might present a strong challenge but once he gets the pin out, he can easily decapitate the squadron leader in one strike. So the rabbit guy wouldn't qualify under that 50% outcome.

This is insultingly bad.

Jarmel

Banned
It's not the fact that it's Illumi's pin. That's almost completely inconsequential.

The issue is by shoving Killua's fears and upbringing onto a solitary object that can be quickly removed is a disgustingly clean way of resolving the issue while also avoiding putting blame on Killua as an individual. This is why I hate mind control as a plot point.

Moaradin

Did you know that our boy-assassin was a loving brother figure, too?!? You know, when he wasn't trained for killing, assassinated someone or spent his days being tortured.

Absolute nonsense.

The Zoldycks always had a weird family dynamic. And
best brother Killua
is the best, what are you talking about!?

I think that was my key issue with HxH.

Characters in that show felt like a collection of abilities first, and people shaped by their upbringing second. I shouldn't have to wait for the characters to feel like characters 1/3 of a way through a 100+ episode show.

It's not the fact that it's Illumi's pin. That's almost completely inconsequential.

The issue is by shoving Killua's fears and upbringing onto a solitary object that can be quickly removed is a disgustingly clean way of resolving the issue while also avoiding putting blame on Killua as an individual. This is why I hate mind control as a plot point.

If I'm not mistaken that plot point felt rather random, too. I mean, did that needle mind control really even manifest in his actions beforehand? I didn't seem to recall much of that during the Yorknew City and Greed Island arcs.

Jarmel

Banned
If I'm not mistaken that plot point felt rather random, too. I mean, did that needle mind control really even manifest in his action beforehand? I didn't seem to recall much of that during the Yorknew City and Greed Island arcs.

No it didn't which makes this whole thing even worse. This only became a serious problem after Killua ran into Pitou.

Qurupeke

Kuromukuro 11-15

So, the main characters are definitely carrying the show, but, I have to say, the supporting cast is rather fascinating too. I liked how awkward Kaya's reaction was when someone was injured because of his dumbness. Akagi's fun to watch trying to achieve his objectives. And, of course, Mika's natural smugness elevates every school scene. Also, I think the fact this is a multi cultural school in Japan is also interesting on its own.

Anyway, the show has been pleasantly good so far. It's more about the character development and the mystery around the invaders/ogres rather than the spectacle or the hot blooded action, but I'd argue it is still good on that department. The CG is great and I'm enjoying the sword battles and the enemies' gimmicks.

I think that was my key issue with HxH.

Characters in that show felt like a collection of abilities first, and people shaped by their upbringing second. I shouldn't have to wait for the characters to feel like characters 1/3 of a way through a 100+ episode show.

This is one reason the 1999 anime is superior, since it devotes so much more time to building up the characters from the very beginning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom