• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonton

Restaurant to Another World 01
Not too impressed but might keep with it for a while longer
Hopefully they tone down the fanservice

I sorta get your points. Tbh, the typical girl beating on boy trope has long since lost any comedic impact it may have had on me, if ever, to the point where it might elicit no more than an eye roll or at worst it almost doesn't register anymore when it occurs. In the case of Aho Girl though, seeing a man getting so brazenly physical with a woman makes me draw parallels to real life issues of domestic violence and physical abuse which totally takes me out of it and I suddenly find myself not being able to take it as a joke anymore. Call it a double standard if you will but at some point it stopped being amusing and started to feel a little disconcerting.
Aho Girl is definitely a guilty pleasure for me, and it worked because most of the people are pretty terrible. Akuru has no friends and too antisocial to really get any, and Yoshiko doesn't try in life and doesn't care about peoples' personal boundaries. The reason the "boy hitting girl" doesn't bother me as much is that clearly Akuru has no power in the relationship or else he would be rid of her. Yoshiko has all the power, but is too dumb to take real advantage of her situation. It is a sort of" Seinfeld" brand of writing where if you don't like watching defective, morally bankrupt people, then it isn't for you.

trejo

Aho Girl is definitely a guilty pleasure for me, and it worked because most of the people are pretty terrible. Akuru has no friends and too antisocial to really get any, and Yoshiko doesn't try in life and doesn't care about peoples' personal boundaries. The reason the "boy hitting girl" doesn't bother me as much is that clearly Akuru has no power in the relationship or else he would be rid of her. Yoshiko has all the power, but is too dumb to take real advantage of her situation. It is a sort of" Seinfeld" brand of writing where if you don't like watching defective, morally bankrupt people, then it isn't for you.
It's funny because I love Konosuba to bits and everyone in that show is a morally bankrupt asshole too. Maybe it has something to do with the setting, where one takes place in a fantasy world while the other takes place in the real world, so to speak?
Of course it also helps that the comedy in Konosuba is vastly superior. :p

Dali

I've got 3, 48 hour, crunchyroll premium passes. I've never bothered even clicking the email when I see i have a free pass until today. Apparently I've let a lot expire. If anyone wants one just pm me.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Looks like Lupin is going to France this time around which has implications.

https://twitter.com/bolt7/status/882972825283375104

DEDzDJqXgAEnjty.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
The Ancient Magus' Bride 1-3

Hmmmm. It's a pretty faithful adaptation but damn, it shouldn't have been to this degree. My main problem is the whole concept of Chise being the bride of Elias. I remember having some issues with this when reading the manga but my reaction was amplified watching it. It's really cringey and detracts a lot when you have scenes such as a grown man/demon calling Chise his puppy. I think there's supposed to be some Japanese wordplay associated with the term as it's supposed to relate to apprentice but he's calling an underaged girl his puppy as he yanks on her literal chain. There's so many scenes that don't feel appropriate in that context such as when Elias strips down Chise before getting in her bath. There's also a really long scene with Chise where she's naked in the bathtub that I thought wouldn't have been out of place in Eromanga. I checked the manga and the scenes are in there too but some definitely feels longer in the anime and it comes across differently when people are actually saying those lines. It's mostly a problem in the first episode where I'm thinking this is the author's fetish.

My other problem with the show is that it's slow as molasses. It is slowwwww. Each episode seemingly adapts only one manga chapter. Some people will be fine with the pacing while others will likely find it to be boring. I'm somewhere in the middle as the episodes don't necessarily feel bloated or stretched but they do drag a bit. After the premiere I overheard people mentioning that it was good but slow so I think that's going to be a common critique. There's no real 'hook' to the show so I'm curious how this will do with general audiences. I'm not sure this was the best bet for IG to make but it might do well with female viewers.

The art direction is by far the best aspect of the show, especially the countryside. There was a lot of emphasis placed on the background art. That said, I thought the urban backgrounds were kind of lacking and there was some noticeable CGI with the city shots and doors. It seems like almost all art directors, other than a few people, struggle with modern settings. The character art likewise is extremely well done and highly detailed. The creatures were also beautiful and I thought Nevin, the large dragon in episode 3, was gorgeous. If there's a weak point visually then it's that the character animation isn't anything special. The characters are drawn beautifully but they don't necessarily move much. I was about to compliment Sawano on the score but it turns out he didn't work on it, despite there being one track in particular in episode 3 that was straight up his alley when Chise 'flew' with Nevin, complete with vocals. The direction overall is very good such as the end of episode 1 and how intimidating the woods around Elias' house became at night with a repeated focus on multiple predators, both beautiful and scary at the same time. Some people might not like the comedy as it occasionally switches chibi faces for a short period but I enjoyed it.

I'll be honest, I thought it was good but at the same time I have zero interest in rewatching these episodes. I remember the manga being like this early on too though so the show might pick up a bit later.

Hmmmm. It's a pretty faithful adaptation but damn, it shouldn't have been to this degree. The art direction is by far the best aspect of the show, especially the countryside. There was a lot of emphasis placed on the background art. That said, I thought the urban backgrounds were kind of lacking and there was some noticeable CGI with the city shots and doors. It seems like almost all art directors, other than a few people, struggle with modern settings.

It requires more imagination and skill to make urban settings look appealing compared to natural settings since, frankly, modern cities naturally look ugly.

phaze

Recommendation time :)

Kemonozume is something about two species co-existing. From Tatami Galaxy director to boot, though it has very unusual artstyle and goes Full Yuasa like maybe nothing else.

Other than that see if anything below interests you:

FLCL - robots ! super duper animation ! humor ! coming of age themes and stuff !
Mononoke - Very unique art wise, series of self contained arcs centering each time on the mystery of the titular Mononoke (monsters and stuff)
Shigurui -Warning for unholy amounts of violence and stuff. Also the read the manga ending.
Diebuster (needs prior watch of Gunbuster) - Proto Gurren Lagann and stuff.
Kyousougiga - ... I've got nothing. Searching for your mother in another dimension with a giant hammer and stuff I guess.
Tatami Galaxy - Yuasa and stuff.
Mind Game - Yuasa and stuff.
Mouryou no Hako - occult murder mystery of sorts
Space Dandy - episodic comedy and an animation showcase.
Katanagatari - anime about katanas starring a katana who doesn't wear a katana. Warning for Holy amounts of dialogue and not that much in the way of actual fights

Ergo Proxy also might be something up your alley even if it's not quite there production wise.

Mawaru Penguindrum and Mushishi aren't very similar to the shows you mentioned but should you want to try something bit different at some point , take a look. Might tickle your fancy.

Taruranto

Not-Free #1

I still can't post screenshots, but how do you make a fujoshi anime about naked boys and fuck up by making most boys incredibly ugly?

This already looks rough by the first episode, I foresee a lot of QUALITY.

I dont know if people expecting Terry Crews are joking or not but they have had Doomfist planned for years, obviously. Terry Crews started memeing about it a few months ago...

Erheller

Hmmmm. It's a pretty faithful adaptation but damn, it shouldn't have been to this degree. My main problem is the whole concept of Chise being the bride of Elias. I remember having some issues with this when reading the manga but my reaction was amplified watching it. It's really cringey and detracts a lot when you have scenes such as a grown man/demon calling Chise his puppy. I think there's supposed to be some Japanese wordplay associated with the term as it's supposed to relate to apprentice but he's calling an underaged girl his puppy as he yanks on her literal chain. There's so many scenes that don't feel appropriate in that context such as when Elias strips down Chise before getting in her bath. There's also a really long scene with Chise where she's naked in the bathtub that I thought wouldn't have been out of place in Eromanga. I checked the manga and the scenes are in there too but some definitely feels longer in the anime and it comes across differently when people are actually saying those lines. It's mostly a problem in the first episode where I'm thinking this is the author's fetish.

My other problem with the show is that it's slow as molasses. It is slowwwww. Each episode seemingly adapts only one manga chapter. Some people will be fine with the pacing while others will likely find it to be boring. I'm somewhere in the middle as the episodes don't necessarily feel bloated or stretched but they do drag a bit. After the premiere I overheard people mentioning that it was good but slow so I think that's going to be a common critique. There's no real 'hook' to the show so I'm curious how this will do with general audiences. I'm not sure this was the best bet for IG to make but it might do well with female viewers.

The art direction is by far the best aspect of the show, especially the countryside. There was a lot of emphasis placed on the background art. That said, I thought the urban backgrounds were kind of lacking and there was some noticeable CGI with the city shots and doors. It seems like almost all art directors, other than a few people, struggle with modern settings. The character art likewise is extremely well done and highly detailed. The creatures were also beautiful and I thought Nevin, the large dragon in episode 3, was gorgeous. If there's a weak point visually then it's that the character animation isn't anything special. The characters are drawn beautifully but they don't necessarily move much. I was about to compliment Sawano on the score but it turns out he didn't work on it, despite there being one track in particular in episode 3 that was straight up his alley when Chise 'flew' with Nevin, complete with vocals. The direction overall is very good such as the end of episode 1 and how intimidating the woods around Elias' house became at night with a repeated focus on multiple predators, both beautiful and scary at the same time. Some people might not like the comedy as it occasionally switches chibi faces for a short period but I enjoyed it.

I'll be honest, I thought it was good but at the same time I have zero interest in rewatching these episodes. I remember the manga being like this early on too though so the show might pick up a bit later.

From what I remember only the first volume and a bit of the second really play up the whole marriage thing between Elias and Chise, and yeah, I found it pretty weird in the manga as well. I think that Volume 3 or 4 when Chise visits Lindel for the second time is when their relationship is contextualized and reimagined.

The whole marriage thing is definitely a, er, thorny issue, and I think the author realized that. I found it to be handled pretty tastefully a little while farther in the manga.

Rahxephon 2

The surreal atmosphere pervading the entire show appeals to me. Throughout every aspect there is a sense that the world is wrong - things are not as they should be, something has gone awry. This is made explicit with how the older woman tells Ayato that she's going to show him the truth of this world that's being hidden from him, but it's present implicitly in aspects of the world-building (teaching English but all English-speaking countries have somehow vanished?), the motif of glass breaking/egg cracking, and above all the person of Reika who is clearly not who Ayato thinks she is. It feels like being on the verge of waking up from a dream but not quite being able to.

Looks like Lupin is going to France this time around which has implications.

https://twitter.com/bolt7/status/882972825283375104

DEDzDJqXgAEnjty.jpg

Cézanne styling is quick way to indicate art is French, huh? Similar staff, I wonder?

Anyway, interesting to see that Blue Jacket has simultaneously become the goofy Euro Tour Lupin as well as the Hard-Boiled Koike Lupin. Though Green Jacket was similarly used for things recalling both the heroic Lupin as well as the coarse Osumi Lupin, so the hard delineations of tone by jacket color was always somewhat incorrect (well, Pink is always Pink.)

phaze

Inou Battle 12 END
Thesis: Dark and Dark of the End(o) is the greatest shounen ability ever conceived.

This was a surprisingly good finale honestly. The last minute threat definitely felt bit tacked on but in the end, it tied to the overarching plotline and the means of dealing with it put to shame the supposedly "smart" shounens out there, with a fight that manages to be both hilarious and inventive, as well as giving Andou that little bit more character wise. With every girl getting that crucial bit of character development of realising they all want to dive down into MC's pants as well as some more tidbits of the bigger conflict, this is quite a well done dumb harem read the manga/LN ending. I wasn't hot on the show and I'm still not but ehhh, I can't bring myself to spit any venom on it, it's fairly harmless with some nice bits of humour, animation and direction here and there. Might be be better than KlK even !

At some point in the manga it felt like the relationship between Elias and Chise just abruptly shifted away from the puppy and chain nonsense. The first few chapters felt more like a pilot or prologue than a beginning of the story.

Jarmel

Banned
At some point in the manga it felt like the relationship between Elias and Chise just abruptly shifted away from the puppy and chain nonsense. The first few chapters felt more like a pilot or prologue than a beginning of the story.

Oh I know, I'm a few chapters into the manga as well. I'm way behind though. It's just that those scenes along with the extended Chise bath scene where she's talking to the fairies and the camera isn't exactly leering but not shying away either, it comes across as really damn awkward.

zulux21

Tsugumomo 2-7

have this playing in the background while playing other games... episodes 2-6 weren't terrible.
episode 7....
yeah....

if I wasn't on a list I am now @_@

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I was told Yuri NTR was 90% girls touching though.

Been a while since I posted here, largely because I haven't been watching anything of note. But was making my way through Natsume Yuujin-cho, and well this happened that deserved a gif.

mA55KR7.gif

JulianImp

Tsugumomo 2-7

have this playing in the background while playing other games... episodes 2-6 weren't terrible.
episode 7....
yeah....

if I wasn't on a list I am now @_@

Was that the episode with the money-making "game"?

The worst part is the series actually gets better after the anime ends, because up to that point it mostly follows a generic amasougi of the week formula, but the very last episode of the anime is the point where the plot (no, not that plot) actually begins developing past that kind of stuff.
There's still lots of borderline hentai in there because the author apparently loves his smut... but you probably knew that starting with the very first chapter/episode, anyway.

zulux21

Was that the episode with the money-making game?

The worst part is the series actually gets better after the anime ends, because up to that point it mostly follows a generic amasougi of the week formula, but the very last episode of the anime is the point where the plot (no, not that plot) actually begins developing past that kind of stuff.
There's still lots of borderline hentai in there because the author apparently loves his smut... but you probably knew that starting with the very first chapter/episode, anyway.

yeah it was that episode.

and yeah I knew the series got to borderline hentai stuff from time to time going in.
just wasn't quite expecting that given the first 6 episodes.

I decided it would be a good day to catch up on some of the previous simuldubs. At the very least it was more enjoyable than 7 ecchi sins :p

now to torture myself with some love tyrant lol.

oh wait... I have already watched the first 3 episodes of this. I don't have to force myself anymore. hmmm.

JulianImp

In order for it to actually be NTR it needs the cheating aspect but this just starts and doesn't do nothin with no setup and its also just "oh no this is bad but it feels good"

boo

BOOO

Yeah, the plot's in the realm of hentai-tier quality so far. I'd have liked it more if it wasn't about one girl forcing herself onto the other, and the latter girl doubting her feelings for her boyfriend after her first taste of yuri.

Yeah, the plot's in the realm of hentai-tier quality so far. I'd have liked it more if it wasn't about one girl forcing herself onto the other, and the latter girl doubting her feelings for her boyfriend after her first taste of yuri.

When you put it like that it sounds awful but it should be better at trashiness

Moral of the story; just watch Scum's Wish instead.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I mostly just see it as comic mischief.

Jex

[...]

My other problem with the show is that it's slow as molasses. It is slowwwww.
Each episode seemingly adapts only one manga chapter. Some people will be fine with the pacing while others will likely find it to be boring. I'm somewhere in the middle as the episodes don't necessarily feel bloated or stretched but they do drag a bit. After the premiere I overheard people mentioning that it was good but slow so I think that's going to be a common critique. There's no real 'hook' to the show so I'm curious how this will do with general audiences. I'm not sure this was the best bet for IG to make but it might do well with female viewers.
To hear this complaint from you is rather worrying. You didn't even think that episode of Kado about the cube rolling was slow, so this show must be incredibly slow!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom